• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams taking care of their riders... Or not?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
burning said:
You care about a white jersey but not a medal in olympics :eek:

I think winning the white jersey and getting a top ten in the Tour as a 23 year old is a better indication of talent than a bronze medal at the Olympics.

Sue me.

El Pistolero said:
I think winning the white jersey and getting a top ten in the Tour as a 23 year old is a better indication of talent than a bronze medal at the Olympics.

Sue me.

I agree with you but winning white jersey isnt a "win", which you don't care as you claimed.

Edit: I think Pinot and Rolland is more talented than Van Garderen but we will see what will happen in next 10 years

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
burning said:
I agree with you but winning white jersey isnt a "win", which you don't care as you claimed.

Edit: I think Pinot and Rolland is more talented than Van Garderen but we will see what will happen in next 10 years

Actually, I never said I didn't care at all for second or third places.

I used sarcasm to indicate I don't really care that much for it, but if a youngster gets a second place at a GT I'll be impressed. If Boonen gets second at the Ronde I'll be ****ed.

A one day race is more like a lottery...

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
janraaskalt said:
Off topic.
Fair enough.

Just because a certain training regime has worked for a rider successfully it does not mean that it will continue to be the case. For instance as riders get older surely training has to change to accommodate that. It is up to the coaches to recognise this and make the appropriate changes.

If a team continues to under perform then excluding the abilities of the riders I would think that the first thing to come under scrutiny would be the training they are undertaking.

For instance, is Andy Schlecks TTing a symptom of training or just his innate lack of ability.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
It was a retort to you commically moaning about people mentioning cq in a few threads.

Its funny because you hijack every thread on the forum and try to make them about Gilbert and Boonen, and here you are complaining that someone else did not stick to the subject matter.

But rather than respond - "how much do Boonen and Gilbert pay you to mention them in every thread," i used a bit of imagination, thought - what links Gilbert and Boonen and came up with - Ibraugen clients.

this is good

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Don't be late Pedro said:
Fair enough.

Just because a certain training regime has worked for a rider successfully it does not mean that it will continue to be the case. For instance as riders get older surely training has to change to accommodate that. It is up to the coaches to recognise this and make the appropriate changes.

If a team continues to under perform then excluding the abilities of the riders I would think that the first thing to come under scrutiny would be the training they are undertaking.

For instance, is Andy Schlecks TTing a symptom of training or just his innate lack of ability.

When a rider gets older they can usually do harder training rides than when they were young. I'm talking about riders aged 28-33 here.

Zdenek Stybar is one crazy person though. He recently tweeted that he did a training ride of over 300km in 7 hours.

Sometimes a rider needs to blame him self for lack of success and not the team. Grow up and take it like a man. It's easy to blame a team once you're leaving/left.

Andy Schleck almost never trains on his TT bike and that's why he's so bad at it. Close sources to him have already said he doesn't like training on it. Yet in the media he says otherwise, but the lack of results speak for themselves in this case.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
When a rider gets older they can usually do harder training rides than when they were young. I'm talking about riders aged 28-33 here.

Zdenek Stybar is one crazy person though. He recently tweeted that he did a training ride of over 300km in 7 hours.

Sometimes a rider needs to blame him self for lack of success and not the team. Grow up and take it like a man. It's easy to blame a team once you're leaving/left.

Andy Schleck almost never trains on his TT bike and that's why he's so bad at it. Close sources to him have already said he doesn't like training on it. Yet in the media he says otherwise, but the lack of results speak for themselves in this case.

So Styby was all Sky/Gb needed to win the olympic RR?

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
They obviously should have. The only rider on BMC who has scored more CQ points than Kristoff this year is TJVG ;)

And there are 10 BMC riders who have scored more World Tour points, which indicates the level that Kristoff is operating at.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
williamp78 said:
To be fair the entire thread has been off topic

which is a shame, because the initial postings where quite interesting before a flame war between fanboys started

on topic, i am also surprised that a lot of teams do not follow their riders closely with coaches, training plans etc.

If certain stars train the old way and it worked, ok for them, but if i read in a french cycling magazine that e.g. europcar, they live all accross france (besides a small group who live all in the same area than a DS) and only come together for races and the occasional training camp, i am not really surprised that some good youngsters who have a personal coach in some way at junior/espoir level do not really progress once they are with a pro team.

Why do teams therefore not invest more seriously in modern training methods ?

Jul 21, 2010
www.cyclingquotes.com
As OP I'd love if El Pistolero, Ryo Hazuki and a whole bunch of others could start a new topic about penis size and continue their discussions there...

Come on guys... Really? No wonder you all have so many posts. You do know the thing about quality vs. quantity right?

El Pistolero said:
So you don't have any real arguments lol? Tell me then, what exactly was so impressive in how AK got his bronze medal? He got in the right move at the right time, kudos to him, but so did other lesser riders. Grivko, Jack Bauer and Beppu aren't exactly big climbing talents...

Which clients are you talking about anyway? Samuel Sanchez?

Dude get lost. Everyone who reads this thread thinks your an idiot or a troll.
Seriously....

Stop trying to defend your first statement as you allready know by now it was bs, but once you've made a point you just keep on defending no matter how *** it was.

Just my 2 cents.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Roude Leiw said:
which is a shame, because the initial postings where quite interesting before a flame war between fanboys started

on topic, i am also surprised that a lot of teams do not follow their riders closely with coaches, training plans etc.

If certain stars train the old way and it worked, ok for them, but if i read in a french cycling magazine that e.g. europcar, they live all accross france (besides a small group who live all in the same area than a DS) and only come together for races and the occasional training camp, i am not really surprised that some good youngsters who have a personal coach in some way at junior/espoir level do not really progress once they are with a pro team.

Why do teams therefore not invest more seriously in modern training methods ?

Not every team has the money. Europcar simply doesn't have the budget to follow every rider closely.

John Lelangue moved to Monaco, so he would be closer to Phil, Thor and Evans. Didn't really work out well for them now did it. That's why I said that the small fish like AK don't get the same level of attention as the leaders of the team. So that's why it's not smart to think AK's story is true for the entire team. The big stars might get a different treatment. A lot of riders have improved at BMC. Greg van Avermaet started winning races again and Evans won the freaking Tour. This year though they failed with Hushovd, Gilbert and Evans. Evans and Thor aren't that young anymore. And all 3 of them were plagued by illness and bad luck. Especially Thor Hushovd.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
sublimit said:
Dont waste your time on this Belgian idiot. I've fallen into the trap on a few occasions but the guy is like Japanese knot-weed.. persistent,, irritating but impossible to get rid of.

But you have to admit his record breaking stupidity is hilarious.
It's like watching Equillibrium or some similar horrendous movie: it's so dumb you have a hell of a time laughing at the stupidity.

El Pistolero said:
Not every team has the money. Europcar simply doesn't have the budget to follow every rider closely.
Following your riders cost some money, but mostly time I guess. It should however give you better results. Why spend tens of thousands of euros/dollars on 1/10th of a second marginal gain on time trial bikes, when you can get far more better trained, healthier, slimmer riders because you follow them?

TRENDING THREADS