• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tejay Van Garderen Discussion Thread

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
He is a top 10 or 20 GT rider who could do better in one week races, he has finished the Tour top 5 before but I think those days are gone. Has the ability to do better but just isn't getting the results and not sure which team would have him or even need him when there are probably better options.

Seems like a perfect fit for Cannondale if he agrees to Giro or Vuelta (co-)leadership.

Jul 3, 2017
Visit site

pastronef said:
portugal11 said:
Tejay is just the useless (and overrated who is massively overpaid) guy. He is a awful leader and a even worse domestique.

wtf if we start like this while he´s still with BMC I don´t know what we´ll read when/if he´ll sign with SKY :p

TJ needs to channel all this hate in order to release his inner Lance. :razz:

In all seriousness, I would prefer him to go to a team Sky rather than Cannondale. There seems to be a "sense of urgency" to Sky which I think would benefit TJ.

The only way for Tejay to have some leverage in a contract discussion is to top-10 this Vuelta, IMO. But recent history suggests that he will have (at least) one bad day, lose ten minutes or more...with him and Porte, it's like watching a Nascar race...you know the accident is coming. I hate to come across so negative, but unfortunately, this is where he's at :eek: .

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Tonton said:
The only way for Tejay to have some leverage in a contract discussion is to top-10 this Vuelta, IMO. But recent history suggests that he will have (at least) one bad day, lose ten minutes or more...with him and Porte, it's like watching a Nascar race...you know the accident is coming. I hate to come across so negative, but unfortunately, this is where he's at :eek: .
Spot on

Jul 3, 2017
Visit site
Tonton said:

I don't know if it was true at this years Giro, but usually that bad day comes immediately after one of the rest days. At least that has been his history at the TDF. Really strange.

PPAR-delta said:
Tonton said:

I don't know if it was true at this years Giro, but usually that bad day comes immediately after one of the rest days. At least that has been his history at the TDF. Really strange.

Yes, it happened in 2014 at the TDF, but he only lost 3 minutes or so on the bad day and recovered enough to gut out a top 5. But in 2015 I think he peaked too early, pushing Froome in the Dauphine and turning himself inside/out coming into the second rest day at the TDF. I think he went too deep in the 2nd week, and during the rest day his body just went into shut-down mode. My armchair theory, anyway. Worth less than 2 cents. :eek:

JosephK said:
PPAR-delta said:
Tonton said:

Yes, it happened in 2014 at the TDF, but he only lost 3 minutes or so on the bad day and recovered enough to gut out a top 5. But in 2015 I think he peaked too early, pushing Froome in the Dauphine and turning himself inside/out coming into the second rest day at the TDF. I think he went too deep in the 2nd week, and during the rest day his body just went into shut-down mode. My armchair theory, anyway. Worth less than 2 cents. :eek:

It happens to him a lot. I have seen it happen to other riders as well. The ones that struggle after the rest day usually have repeat performances of the same problem. Not sure why. Some riders do a few hours training on the rest day and some only do 30 minutes. Years ago a lot of riders did nothing just rested.

movingtarget said:
JosephK said:
PPAR-delta said:
Tonton said:

It happens to him a lot. I have seen it happen to other riders as well. The ones that struggle after the rest day usually have repeat performances of the same problem. Not sure why. Some riders do a few hours training on the rest day and some only do 30 minutes. Years ago a lot of riders did nothing just rested.

It depends on the rider and their body

BUt its mostly a mental thing I think than a physical thing ...shutting down

Rest assured this rider will lose heaps of time, the question is where. The grinding Andalucian stage might actually suit him a lot more than this kinda racing, maybe he will wait until week 3 this time around? Either way he has looked impressive so far, he must be proud finally showing something after god knows how long for a rider with the potential he showed earlier.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Rest assured this rider will lose heaps of time, the question is where. The grinding Andalucian stage might actually suit him a lot more than this kinda racing, maybe he will wait until week 3 this time around? Either way he has looked impressive so far, he must be proud finally showing something after god knows how long for a rider with the potential he showed earlier.
Yes, longer climbs at altitude that lack those super steep ramps should actually be better for him, I just hope for him that the team has a capable DS in the teamcar to remind him to ride at his own pace instead of trying to follow Froome's attacks, but it's BMC so they'll probably tell him to respond to every one of his attacks. :eek:

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Is TJVG not progressing or is the competition just on a significantly higher level than back in 2012? Or both?

I think he has progressed in my humble opinion but I never thought it was for sure that he would ever step up to the elite tier.

Mayomaniac said:
Valv.Piti said:
Yes, longer climbs at altitude that lack those super steep ramps should actually be better for him, I just hope for him that the team has a capable DS in the teamcar to remind him to ride at his own pace instead of trying to follow Froome's attacks, but it's BMC so they'll probably tell him to respond to every one of his attacks. :eek:
...or it's Tejay feeling that he has something to prove and blow himself up.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

Well Bardet and Aru did the Tour as did Froome and Contador. He should be doing well after not riding the Tour. Maybe his Giro stage win has woken him up ? Anyone who can top five the Tour should be doing well enough. Once he dropped that huge amount of time in the Giro and went for breaks, the pressure was off and he won a good victory. So far he looks good.

movingtarget said:
Valv.Piti said:

Well Bardet and Aru did the Tour as did Froome and Contador. He should be doing well after not riding the Tour. Maybe his Giro stage win has woken him up ? Anyone who can top five the Tour should be doing well enough. Once he dropped that huge amount of time in the Giro and went for breaks, the pressure was off and he won a good victory. So far he looks good.

Except for crashing twice in the last 40k.

TRENDING THREADS