• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tejay Van Garderen Discussion Thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Psalmon said:
Well Sagan bonused himself into second so now BMC will also have to beat Tinkoff in addition to Sky. Stage 9 will really be a battle royale.

I don't think there will be major time splits on the Bretagne. We did not see it in 2011. So the only battle there is more for the stage and psych points among GC. Sagan is 11 sec back so bonus won't do it and I can't see a split between him and Froome uphill. My bet is on Valverde for the MdB. It will be interesting if Sagan can take Green tho.

For the TTT, if Tinkoff wins it, Sagan will be in Yellow (imagine that, Sagan could be in Green and Yellow in Pau, wow), but I still think BMC is the favorite vs. Sky and TS. I can't see Lotto S coming out of nowhere for Gallopin, or Etixx getting Uran up there without Tony Martin.

So that's it, Tejay, Peter, or Chris for yellow on the rest day...

and white!

Re:

Billie said:
Tejay is not a climber. He always has one mountain stage where he has troubles finishing in the top 50 on the stage. Has happened in every gt he ever raced.

TJ is not a climber... :eek:

No, he is not a pure climber because he can tt as well but that doesn't change the fact that climbing is one of his best assets if not the best.

He has had troubles with consistency over three weeks in the past,but he is now more mature and well-prepared than ever.

He is clearly the biggest thread from outside of the 'Big Four' and it wouldn't surprise me to see him challenging for a podium spot.

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
PremierAndrew said:
Velolover2 said:
I am the only one who thinks that he will be Froome's biggest rival in this Tour?

Yes, simply because TJ is incapable of gaining time on Froome, unlike Nibali (downhill) and Quintana. That said, it's very much possible he will be closest to Froome when they get to the Champs-Elysees.
Really? :eek:
Nibali, Quintana and Contador will all be better uphill.

Contador will have to seriously step up his game then. He hasn't convinced yet.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
Velolover2 said:
I am the only one who thinks that he will be Froome's biggest rival in this Tour?

Yes, simply because TJ is incapable of gaining time on Froome, unlike Nibali (downhill) and Quintana. That said, it's very much possible he will be closest to Froome when they get to the Champs-Elysees.

TJ defeated Froome at the dauphine on a stage...did you not see it ? He toyed with Froome. He let it him go held the gap and then went past Froome and rode off. He can take time off of Froome.

TJ only needs to be CONSISTENT to win this tour. TJ does not have to chase down Nibs or Quintana if they attack , he only needs to control the time gaps. Froome will have a bad day and TJ can get the yellow shirt.
Bertie as always is the major unknown factor.
I think he can step up ,why not? I don't go along with the fact that he will crumble at some point. I believe he has a great chance and he looks stronger than Bertie Nibs and Quintana at the moment and is matching Froome.

ray j willings said:
PremierAndrew said:
Velolover2 said:

TJ defeated Froome at the dauphine on a stage...did you not see it ? He toyed with Froome. He let it him go held the gap and then went past Froome and rode off. He can take time off of Froome.

TJ only needs to be CONSISTENT to win this tour. TJ does not have to chase down Nibs or Quintana if they attack , he only needs to control the time gaps. Froome will have a bad day and TJ can get the yellow shirt.
I think he can step up ,why not? I don't go along with the fact that he will crumble at some point. I believe he has a great chance and he looks stronger than Bertie Nibs and Quintana at the moment and is matching Froome.
To be fair, he didn't toy with Froome, who was clearly improving during the race and wasn't so great initially. Also, the slopes were quite gentle, but Tejay is indeed a genuine contender.
Why will Froome have a bad day though? I don't recall him having a bad day because he just didn't feel good that day. Alpe d'Huez was because he didn't eat enough.

After today, he looks to be more of a contender than Nibali, and I think he's even a bigger threat than Contador (because the Giro took it out of his legs),

Evidently, the Eurosport crew doesn't seem to think so...they mention him only begrudgingly.

Anyway, Froome is sucking the life out of the race every day, so everyone else is shuffling for lower steps anyway.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

Vasilis said:
ray j willings said:
PremierAndrew said:
Velolover2 said:

To be fair, he didn't toy with Froome, who was clearly improving during the race and wasn't so great initially. Also, the slopes were quite gentle, but Tejay is indeed a genuine contender.
Why will Froome have a bad day though? I don't recall him having a bad day because he just didn't feel good that day. Alpe d'Huez was because he didn't eat enough.[/quote

stage 20 ,,ring a bell.

Back to TJ ,,,He's still my favourite to win the tour. Looking good.

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site

Bushman said:
Billie said:
Tejay is not a climber. He always has one mountain stage where he has troubles finishing in the top 50 on the stage. Has happened in every gt he ever raced.

No, he is not a pure climber because he can tt as well but that doesn't change the fact that climbing is one of his best assets if not the best.

TJ is almost 27 ys old. in the past he never showed consistent shape over 3 weeks. this year he already was equal to froome in mid june. no way he will keep shape from mid june until alps. he will crack like a broken bong.

malakassis said:
Bushman said:
Billie said:

TJ is almost 27 ys old. in the past he never showed consistent shape over 3 weeks. this year he already was equal to froome in mid june. no way he will keep shape from mid june until alps. he will crack like a broken bong.

Like all the GC riders, Tejay trained to peak in weeks 2-3 of the Tour. Hopefully he is about to hit the form of his life.

The problem with gauging TJ right now is that the ride we saw at the Dauphiné was about as good as he's ever been, so the options are basically that he's taken a big step up this year or he's peaked too early. Probably won't get that answer until the third week.

Not much to read from the win vs Froome in the mountains as the latter was clearly building day by day in that race and looks even better here so far (though wouldn't be surprised if he dips a bit in the 3rd week too), but I am looking forward to seeing if he can hang in the Pyrenees and whatever happens there's a good chance we'll see him enter them in yellow which will be nice :)

Moviefan1203 said:
malakassis said:
Bushman said:
Billie said:

Like all the GC riders, Tejay trained to peak in weeks 2-3 of the Tour. Hopefully he is about to hit the form of his life.

Also worth noting that I don't think he's ever had a year go as smoothly as this one in terms of injuries/illness leading up to the TdF. The ball seems to be bouncing his way for once; even the crash he was in a couple stages ago he landed right on top of Nibali, so he should be fine as long as Nibali isn't carrying around a bunch of knives in his kit. :p

TRENDING THREADS