• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tejay Van Garderen Discussion Thread

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Jspear said:
Inquitus said:
TJ has no hope of winning the tour unless the big 4 crash out. Just felt like adding some realism to this thread.

Most here understand Tejay won't win. The biggest debate is on whether or not he'll podium. He does have a chance at that.

purito will kick him off the podium. He kicked contador in 2013.

Jelantik said:
Jspear said:
Inquitus said:
TJ has no hope of winning the tour unless the big 4 crash out. Just felt like adding some realism to this thread.

Most here understand Tejay won't win. The biggest debate is on whether or not he'll podium. He does have a chance at that.

Jrod is a year older, Tejay appears stronger than last year. Tejay could surprise us. Still what you say could very well happen. I'm sure you're a little biased against Tejay though. ;) :p

TJVG should be in Yellow after the stage if Sky's latest TTTs are anything to go by. On paper Sky always seem to have a strong team but they often don't deliver. Froome would not mind missing Yellow by a few seconds of course. The odds are he is going to out climb most of the other GC candidates anyway but of course he would prefer to keep most of his time on the big three. A good time gap for TJVG is the obvious goal for BMC and his only realistic hope for the overall.

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site

Jelantik said:
Jspear said:
Inquitus said:

absolutly right! crashes apart, there is no chance to podium for TJ. too much stronger competition like nairo, purito, nibali,AC, valverde. TJs best tour performances was twice #5 but in 2012/2014 with less competition.i hope there will be some REAL surprise in top 5.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Marco Pantani said:
He will beat Purito and Valverde by miles.

Valverde i agree. Purito not so sure. If he would, it will be because Purito will be already 4 minutes down after the TTT. Climbing wise he's still (i think) one level below, although he's a lot better then he was 3 years ago.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Arredondo said:
Marco Pantani said:
He will beat Purito and Valverde by miles.

Valverde i agree. Purito not so sure. If he would, it will be because Purito will be already 4 minutes down after the TTT. Climbing wise he's still (i think) one level below, although he's a lot better then he was 3 years ago.
I have to agree Purito will outclimb him, the TTT will be the big problem for him.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

Jelantik said:
Jspear said:
Inquitus said:

Yes he will If you believe in string theory .He will also be married to the Queen :D

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Of course they'll defend his podium place. If Froome runs away with the Tour, as he has thus far, then because he is simply superior to the other Big 4 and they have no one to blame but themselves and their respective teams.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

DBotero said:
AICA ribonucleotide said:
Watch BMC defend their podium place in the mountains.
I expect them to chase down Nibali, Quintana and Contador attacks for Froome and completely ruin the tour.

Yeah sure they should just watch everybody riding away from TVG and do nothing :rolleyes:
BMC should be a much weaker team in the mountains, they only have Damiano Caruso, who has already ridden a hard Giro and Sammy Sanchez and who knows how good Sammy will be.

ray j willings said:
Vasilis said:
ray j willings said:
PremierAndrew said:
Velolover2 said:
I am the only one who thinks that he will be Froome's biggest rival in this Tour?

Yes, simply because TJ is incapable of gaining time on Froome, unlike Nibali (downhill) and Quintana. That said, it's very much possible he will be closest to Froome when they get to the Champs-Elysees.

TJ defeated Froome at the dauphine on a stage...did you not see it ? He toyed with Froome. He let it him go held the gap and then went past Froome and rode off. He can take time off of Froome.

TJ only needs to be CONSISTENT to win this tour. TJ does not have to chase down Nibs or Quintana if they attack , he only needs to control the time gaps. Froome will have a bad day and TJ can get the yellow shirt.
Bertie as always is the major unknown factor.
I think he can step up ,why not? I don't go along with the fact that he will crumble at some point. I believe he has a great chance and he looks stronger than Bertie Nibs and Quintana at the moment and is matching Froome.
To be fair, he didn't toy with Froome, who was clearly improving during the race and wasn't so great initially. Also, the slopes were quite gentle, but Tejay is indeed a genuine contender.
Why will Froome have a bad day though? I don't recall him having a bad day because he just didn't feel good that day. Alpe d'Huez was because he didn't eat enough.

stage 20 ,,ring a bell.

Back to TJ ,,,He's still my favourite to win the tour. Looking good.[/quote]
He just let go that stage because he had already won the Tour. Attacking at the flamme rouge I can hardly call a bad day anyway. Besides, he is managing his form differently this year as well, riding into better form as the race progresses, like he did at last year's Vuelta.

TJ is starting to look a little ominous. This Tour has begun with a similar feel to 2011. And for those tipping Purito to push van Garderen off the podium - Katusha just lost another 1.53 in the TTT. Purito is nearly 4 minutes down on TJ now. He is also 38 years old with TJ 12 years younger and obviously on the rise. Purito is a long shot now.

But for TJVG to make the podium now either Quintana or Contador will have to not make the podium (Froome looks certain for podium at least). Of course will will know more after the next stage to see TJ and the other favourites on a real climb.

Re:

Cookster15 said:
TJ is starting to look a little ominous. This Tour has begun with a similar feel to 2011. And for those tipping Purito to push van Garderen off the podium - Katusha just lost another 1.53 in the TTT. Purito is nearly 4 minutes down on TJ now. He is also 38 years old with TJ 12 years younger and obviously on the rise. Purito is a long shot now.

But for TJVG to make the podium now either Quintana or Contador will have to not make the podium (Froome looks certain for podium at least). Of course will will know more after the next stage to see TJ and the other favourites on a real climb.

Hey that's not nice,don't make him older than he is :( He's still in his prime,just 36.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Jspear said:
Jelantik said:
Jspear said:
Inquitus said:

Jrod is a year older, Tejay appears stronger than last year. Tejay could surprise us. Still what you say could very well happen. I'm sure you're a little biased against Tejay though. ;) :p

yes, I'm. I don't really like TJ.. :p So is TJ now is the new Landa? (not in term of climbing leg sensation. But the outsider that gets the spotlight)

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site

Jspear said:
Inquitus said:

The chance is always there for a lot of contenders. It's just that this year all the big boys are still around so I don't see it happening. If there are no more surprises, finishing the tour 11' back as is his benchmark won't be enough to be ahead of people such as Valverde, Uran, Rodriguez, and maybe even Barguil and Mollema.

The first half of the Tour was perfect for his abilities, but he won't be part of the podium talk once we get to the Alps.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
At first glance I though that was Lance crouching back there at the end of the table. Meeting up with Lance on a rest day would've been hilarious.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I hope Tejay can attack when Richie Porte is pacing Froome up the climb and drop him like a soaked towel.

Porte's been spouting off since the Giro how he deserves to lead a team and now he's rumored to BMC, to "lead" a team, while still at Sky, during the Tour, something that could cause dissension within BMC. And yes, although a competitor now, if he really goes to BMC to "lead"? He's already failed at that. What a W@nker.

Bundle up some fury Tejay, and show them your backside.

TRENDING THREADS