• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tejay Van Garderen Discussion Thread

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
TJVG will finish higher on gc than Porte, I'm pretty sure about that.
The competition for a top 5 spot will be pretty hard, but it's not impossible.
I'd still like him to change things up a bit, but he's the American gc rider at BMC, so him focussing on another gt than the Tour isn't exactly realistic.
Edit: I think that becoming super skinny is one of the main reasons why he's suffering the cold, rainy weather more than he used to.

No, goals have to be realistic and RELEVANT. Is it relevant for an American rider on an American team to not be granted a CHANCE as the GC leader at the Tour? No. Is it realistic? No. Realistic trumps relevant.

A podium at the Giro or Vuelta is better than the Tour because Tejay had an opportunity. This is why I am critical of BMC; they've gambled it all on the Tour and taking Porte's 1:45 loss on stage 2, guess where he'd be? Third on GC. Don't forget that...he's clearly stronger than Tejay.

Problem is Tejay's affinity for getting sick. He's also stupid for racing without wet weather gear. He's almost 28! That's dumb. Who doesn't rug up? Tejay!! Look what it did to him in the Tour de Suisse! Bad day and lost heaps of time. That is a 9 day stage race.

We have the second rest day approaching. BMC better have found and fixed Tejay's problem from 2014 and 2015. The problem? It's been obvious for a long time now. His weight. He's far too below his bodies natural homeostasis and you can see it...it leaves him more prone to getting sick.

Of course that weight loss means he can compete, but for what? A 'realistic' as you described it 5th at the Tour? Bardet is 45 seconds behind him after the time trial and of all the riders to Porte, in 8th, ALL of them have put time into Tejay in the 2 mountain stages where racing occurred.

Where are these so called climbing legs? Valverde has a grand tour in his legs and he is just in front of Tejay on GC! He's also carrying Quintana...sorry, but Tejay needs to actually do something or his position will remain the same.

Of course he could...but does he have form? We'll see in a few days. That mountain time trial is going to reveal everything.

Re:

jmdirt said:
Tejay looks pretty solid at this point.

Solid won't make the podium. I think the wheels would have to fall off Yates and Mollema, Yates is probably the one who will find the third week tough but he is riding very well as is Mollema but Mollema has impressed in the past two stages and looks to be coming good at the right time. Porte could also go further up the GC if his climbing stays at the same level. Quintana is the real query, he either slides further backwards or starts to make inroads but he has not impressed so far especially on the climbs.

Re: Re:

Bardamu said:
Moviefan1203 said:
Tejay is in a good position to make a run at the podium. He has raced well to this point, and I have confidence in him.
He has a good shot, but I don't see Mollema and Quintana breaking anytime soon.

Mollema certainly seems to be in super form, but Quintana has shown signs of weakness. I'm really eager to see how this all shakes out in the Alps. Guys need to attack if they want the podium.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Would it be wrong to say the best version of TJ was that of 2012 in TdF?

It's hard to tell because the 2012 Tour was perfect for TJVG. It had a parcours that could have been designed by Wiggins mother, a climbing field missing some of the usual depth or in Froome's case kept on a leash, and a super-strong Sky team keeping everything as uniform-paced as Wiggins could desire. TJVG was basically a secondary beneficiary of all of the things that allowed Wiggins to win.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
This guy will never accomplish anything big in a GT. He's actually a quite decent rider, but he's the typical top10 rider for the Tour. I'm not sure he can even manage higher in the Giro and Vuelta because of the steep climbs - maybe the Vuelta.

You can't blame him for not trying, when he's clearly not good enough to try anything. It would suit him to go on the offensive and take risks, rather than try to hang on for a top10. I guess it's only a dream.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

jmdirt said:
El Pistolero said:
Why is this guy the leader of one of the richest WT teams again?
Because he has better GT and other stage race results than anyone else on the team.

That's not the point I'm arguing. And anyone who won a GT stage has better GT results than this boring follower.

Ps: Porte won Paris-Nice twice and the Volta a Catalunya, Volta ao Algarve and the Giro del Trentino once. Tejay won the USA Pro Cycling Challenge twice and the Tour of Califonia once. Not exactly races with a high pedigree...

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
El Pistolero said:

No sprinter, GVA for the cobbles, Phil Gil for the ardennes, TJ/LRP for GC.

One of the richest teams in the peloton. What a joke

I'm suggesting BMC should buy some better GC riders instead of wasting their money on him. Porte is good, would be in third if it wasn't for that flat tire. He just needs to put a god damn attack in this race if he actually wants to finish on the podium. Losing almost two minutes isn't an excuse when the competition is this bad below Froome.

El Pistolero said:
jmdirt said:
El Pistolero said:
Because he has better GT and other stage race results than anyone else on the team.

That's not the point I'm arguing. And anyone who won a GT stage has better GT results than this boring follower.
You're a bit harsh. Last year, he could have got a podium on top of his two 5th places. Yes, he stays in the wheels and that's boring. For the longest part of his career, so did Cuddles. '97 put aside, so did Ulle. Many more...

TJVG always seems to have some sort of bad luck along the way, one or two off-days where he ruins his chances: today was one of them. That's why BMC got Porte, who also has a history of "some sort of bad luck along the way, one or two days off" as I wrote. It's fair to ask: what was BMC thinking? I wish TJVG the best, he still is my pick for 5th place.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Tonton said:
El Pistolero said:
jmdirt said:
El Pistolero said:

You're a bit harsh. Last year, he could have got a podium on top of his two 5th places. Yes, he stays in the wheels and that's boring. For the longest part of his career, so did Cuddles. '97 put aside, so did Ulle. Many more...

TJVG always seems to have some sort of bad luck along the way, one or two off-days where he ruins his chances: today was one of them. That's why BMC got Porte, who also has a history of "some sort of bad luck along the way, one or two days off" as I wrote. It's fair to ask: what was BMC thinking? I wish TJVG the best, he still is my pick for 5th place.

Harsh, yes, but I just don't like riders who follow anonymously for a top ten placing in a GT. I have more respect then for riders like Tom Dumoulin, who has won 5 GT stages already, in all 3 Grand Tours, at age 25, and he also wore the leaders jersey in the Giro and Vuelta. He also has a sixth place in the Vuelta, which is worse then what TJVG achieved, but I don't think Dumoulin cares about that too much. ;)

Re:

Red Rick said:
I think Dumoulin's exact words after the finish of stage 20 were "After I got dropped, you try to finish as high as possible, but you really don't give a **** anymore"
I think he was trying to put on a good face. I thought he had a real shot to win the whole thing (another bad prediction on my part :eek: ), I bet he did too. And in all fairness, TJVG has never been in Dumoulin's shoes in a GT, leader until...well...almost the end. That 6th place is worth more than TJVG's two 5th put together IMO.

El Pistolero said:
PremierAndrew said:
El Pistolero said:

No sprinter, GVA for the cobbles, Phil Gil for the ardennes, TJ/LRP for GC.

One of the richest teams in the peloton. What a joke

I'm suggesting BMC should buy some better GC riders instead of wasting their money on him. Porte is good, would be in third if it wasn't for that flat tire. He just needs to put a god damn attack in this race if he actually wants to finish on the podium. Losing almost two minutes isn't an excuse when the competition is this bad below Froome.

Don't see them spending up big now. Aren't they finishing up at the end of next season or is that just a rumour ? TJVG seems like a nice guy but he is not a GT winner and let's face it most of the team leaders are not. Froome Contador and Nibali have been like Federer, Murray and Nadal in tennis. It won't change until Contador retires and Nibali and Froome can't win GTs anymore. Aru and Quintana seem to be the heirs at this stage. Plenty of riders could podium but not many will win a GT. Chaves and the Yates brothers look good for the future but most of the other current team leaders will never win a GT I don't think. As for this race I think the podium is far from being finalized.

Re:

Moviefan1203 said:
I still believe in Tejay. He is still fairly young, perhaps next year he can crack the podium. There is still hope!
Absolutely! He's no slouch. Following the wheels is what you need to do sometimes. You have to know your limits. Why attack and it backfires? Lose a minute on everybody else. It almost happened to Aru today...you can only do your best, and his best is quite good. Last year was really good. Let's not be "oh gloom and doom" or overly excited. I know it's hard not to do ;) .