• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tejay Van Garderen Discussion Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
TJVG is overrated on this forum imo.
While a decent rider, I never see him amounting as a serious GT contendor.

I just haven't been that impressed.

more of a short stage racer I see him as.

Who over rates him? I hear a lot of negative posts about him tbh.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
TJVG is overrated on this forum imo.
While a decent rider, I never see him amounting as a serious GT contendor.

I just haven't been that impressed.

more of a short stage racer I see him as.

i agree with this tbh.

also ACF timmy never said it was only this thread. the thread of the stage costa won is a good starter to see how much hyped he is on this forum.

like timmy said he has great 1 week racing potential but i simply don't see it on the GT's

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
sky forever said:
Just wondering what peoples thoughts will be on Tejay Van Garderen's season will be. New team focusing on what he wants to do. Help Cadel and lead races like Cali or Paris Nice. Then maybe when Cadel retires take over the leadership role.

So will Tejay be a hit or a flop this season?

After his bragadaccio and subsequent tizzie fit at the Colorado Challenge TJs fit to be nothing more than a domestique.
He will learn humility when he sees the real men pedal in anger at the TOC 2012, number 3 world stage race.

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Ha ha, on another thread you say:

The Plediadian said:
Unfortunatly in the USA people do not get the big picture,(the world). So many here live in a myopic bubble, fed by media, without spending time even to look at a newspaper.
Traveling outside the states I appreciate it when people learn about history and current affairs. I am speaking of world politics.

And then you do this:

The Plediadian said:
After his bragadaccio and subsequent tizzie fit at the Colorado Challenge TJs fit to be nothing more than a domestique.
He will learn humility when he sees the real men pedal in anger at the TOC 2012, number 3 world stage race.

I'm with Parrulo

:facepalm.jpg:

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
All I remember about this guy is his then girlfriend fiance whatever asking fans for money for his autograph giggling that she was his manager now

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
The Plediadian said:

Parrulo said:

FreeWheelin said:
I'm with Parrulo

well, at leasts it is no longer a number 2 world stage race, it is huge progress after all :p

The Plediadian said:

Well he wouldn't be the first young sportsman to show he has an ego would he ? Anyone remember some of Cavendish's outbursts etc....bit early to be writing him off as an also ran. With all the money BMC has forked out this year for new riders they must see potential to even sign him considering the team they already have. But I agree the behaviour at the Colorado Tour was pretty infantile.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Well he wouldn't be the first young sportsman to show he has an ego would he ? Anyone remember some of Cavendish's outbursts etc....bit early to be writing him off as an also ran. With all the money BMC has forked out this year for new riders they must see potential to even sign him considering the team they already have. But I agree the behaviour at the Colorado Tour was pretty infantile.
What happened in Colorado regarding TJ?

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
i agree with this tbh.

also ACF timmy never said it was only this thread. the thread of the stage costa won is a good starter to see how much hyped he is on this forum.

like timmy said he has great 1 week racing potential but i simply don't see it on the GT's

I'm not sure I see that stage as hype.

TJVG was VERY strong on that stage... but rode very stupid. He just kept riding at the front and burning his energy away, wasting it on attacks that were frankly just stupid displays.

Then when he weakened, Costa stuck the dagger in.

Great ride by costa, but I though that stage showed a lot of strength from Van Garderen... just not a lot of racing acumen. But it's easier to learn how to race smarter later on as a rider then to develop a bigger engine.

The Plediadian said:

Parrulo said:

He means 3rd rate stage race. :eek:

TJ hit or flop this year? Neither, but I think for him it can be a good solid year. If he does ATOC I would expect a good showing without winning or even podiuming the thing.

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Cavendish always had the right to be brash, he was a top tier track star before becoming a pro. He had the record to stand upon, >>a dominating sprinter.<<

On the other hand tj has a lot of talk, without being dominating.
He needs to study some real pros, Hinault, LeMOND, MERCKX, etc. in their early careers.
If he studied Jens! he would see a real sportsman, a man comfortable in his own skin,(not a weenie.)
For tj to target the oilcan TT in Bakersfield, ATOC,(hometown of Buck Owens, and Dwight Yokum,) is a noble endeavor, however it is a US domestic race no matter how you slice it.
Very few Europeans will be going full bore in the race.
Hopefully for tj and his new sponsor he will chant the mantra,"Shut up legs,Om Padne Om, Shut up legs,Om Padne Om, ad infenitum, etc. and go to Europe and ride with the Europeans, on their home turf, when they are riding 90 to 110 percent. Ride a real hard race like Catalunya, or Basque.

auscyclefan94 said:
What happened in Colorado regarding TJ?

He had a hissy fit after the TT. Obviously thought he was going to win. Threw his helmet and bike and looked like someone had taken his chocolate off him. Then went off and sat on his own on the side of the road. All a bit silly. Maybe just having a bad day ? Still looked angry later on.........oh well.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
I'm not sure I see that stage as hype.

TJVG was VERY strong on that stage... but rode very stupid. He just kept riding at the front and burning his energy away, wasting it on attacks that were frankly just stupid displays.

Then when he weakened, Costa stuck the dagger in.

Great ride by costa, but I though that stage showed a lot of strength from Van Garderen... just not a lot of racing acumen. But it's easier to learn how to race smarter later on as a rider then to develop a bigger engine.

You also have to think about the amount TJVG did in that week beforeSuper Besse for Cavendish where he rode lots of km's on the front. Costa didn't have to do that. I also agree with the above post that TJVG rode stupidly and Costa was more intelligent. Obviously both gys are talented.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
movingtarget said:
He had a hissy fit after the TT. Obviously thought he was going to win. Threw his helmet and bike and looked like someone had taken his chocolate off him. Then went off and sat on his own on the side of the road. All a bit silly. Maybe just having a bad day ? Still looked angry later on.........oh well.

Ever been upset with how you've ridden? It's not uncommon.

I don't know whether or not TJ was being a prima donna and throwing his toys out the pram because he didn't win, but it's not the only possibility.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
The Plediadian said:
Cavendish always had the right to be brash, he was a top tier track star before becoming a pro. He had the record to stand upon, >>a dominating sprinter.<<

On the other hand tj has a lot of talk, without being dominating.
He needs to study some real pros, Hinault, LeMOND, MERCKX, etc. in their early careers.
If he studied Jens! he would see a real sportsman, a man comfortable in his own skin,(not a weenie.)
For tj to target the oilcan TT in Bakersfield, ATOC,(hometown of Buck Owens, and Dwight Yokum,) is a noble endeavor, however it is a US domestic race no matter how you slice it.
Very few Europeans will be going full bore in the race.
Hopefully for tj and his new sponsor he will chant the mantra,"Shut up legs,Om Padne Om, Shut up legs,Om Padne Om, ad infenitum, etc. and go to Europe and ride with the Europeans, on their home turf, when they are riding 90 to 110 percent. Ride a real hard race like Catalunya, or Basque.

Not sure what you mean here. The guy's ridden in the Tour de France (82nd), Vuelta a Espana (35th), tour de suisse (11th), Pais Vasco (66th), Paris-Nice (31st), LBL (18th), Algarve (2nd, 9th), and the Dauphine Libere (4th).

Granted, those aren't blow-your-socks-off results, but you make it sound like he's only ridden US domestic races. He's been in quite a few fairly large european races, and ridden near the front. He's also done quite a bit of domestique work in those races. He's got a pretty decent selection of races ridden for a guy who's only had 2 years as a pro.

TRENDING THREADS