• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tennis

Page 113 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Maxiton said:
...Meanwhile, Serena Williams is so kitted out with HGH and various steroids that she is practically, for all intents and purposes, a man - obvious to even the naive eye.

Sadly not obvious to the BBC and its fawning commentators.

Re: Re:

RobbieCanuck said:
Maxiton said:
arcus said:
Maria Sharapova's failed drugs test was "reckless beyond description", according to former World Anti-Doping Agency president **** Pound.

But of course he would say that. He has historical ties to WADA, and certainly showed plenty of faux outrage towards Russian athletics. Doesn't change a thing. Turns out, he's just as corrupt as the rest.

I strongly disagree. It appears you are not aware of Pound's career where he has routinely railed against doping. Read his book "Inside Dope" In that book he lays out in pretty clear and convincing language the problems with doping. Also he has more than "historical ties" to WADA. He helped found WADA. Without WADA the sports world would be worse than it already is. It is not WADA that is the problem in doping its the athletes and their coaches, doctors and retinue.

In addition in 2015/2016 he authored the investigation into Russian doping with two others. Your comment suggests you have a very superficial understanding of Pound's role and crusade against doping. To suggest he is corrupt is absurd and defamatory.

I have read this book - eye opening and rather scary. Should be on the must read list for Clinic readers / posters.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Re:

movingtarget said:

From the article:

`The drug's inventor, Ivars Kalvins, told Latvian newspaper Diena in a 2009 interview that meldonium was given to soldiers during the 1980s, when Soviet forces were fighting in Afghanistan.

"High altitudes. Oxygen deprivation. If they have to run 20 kilometres with all the gear, at the end they would get ischemia (a blood circulation condition)," Kalvins was quoted as saying.'

Can't think how this drug could possibly help in sport......

May 14, 2010
Visit site

RobbieCanuck said:
Maxiton said:
arcus said:
Maria Sharapova's failed drugs test was "reckless beyond description", according to former World Anti-Doping Agency president **** Pound.

But of course he would say that. He has historical ties to WADA, and certainly showed plenty of faux outrage towards Russian athletics. Doesn't change a thing. Turns out, he's just as corrupt as the rest.

I strongly disagree. It appears you are not aware of Pound's career where he has routinely railed against doping. Read his book "Inside Dope" In that book he lays out in pretty clear and convincing language the problems with doping. Also he has more than "historical ties" to WADA. He helped found WADA. Without WADA the sports world would be worse than it already is. It is not WADA that is the problem in doping its the athletes and their coaches, doctors and retinue.

In addition in 2015/2016 he authored the investigation into Russian doping with two others. Your comment suggests you have a very superficial understanding of Pound's role and crusade against doping. To suggest he is corrupt is absurd and defamatory.

Screw that. Just because he has a strong anti-doping pedigree doesn't mean he isn't acquiescent to political pressure, whether for the sake of his larger cause or his own career interests. Just look at the Coe thing I linked to in my post.

Edit: I refer you to the excellent Benotti69 thread, Are WADA Fit to "Police" Doping in Sport?

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Re:

blackcat said:
BullsFan22 said:
Maxiton said:
BullsFan22 said:
Maxiton said:
Probably political, having to do with the apparent need to take down all things Russian.

Sarcasm?

No, not sarcasm at all. Look around. Everything that projects Russian soft power in international sport is under assault. Apparently Sharapova is no exception.

Yeah. There is definitely a lot of truth in that. Seems very shady at how much the western media is trying to bring down Russia. From the Ukraine crisis, to Sochi, to social issues in Russia, to the 2015 Track and Field World's, to the Syria crisis, to the supposed widespread doping. You'd think that Putin is much worse than Hitler after what's being said and written in western (particularly US and German) media.

cos a significant amount of those in high positions at papers of record would be on the CIA and MI6 payroll

Which would definitely include The Guardian, especially after the Edward Snowden affair.

Cannibal72 said:
Surprisingly decent article in the guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/mar/09/maria-sharapova-error-excuse-drugs. Not a huge amount of new ground, but well written and gratifyingly skeptical.

Marina Hyde is almost always an enjoyable, sometimes hilarious, read, but where is the skepticism in her article? Rather, she is earning her crust, and, like a well-bread attack dog, headed for the target her editors point to: in this case, the Russian athlete and the rightness of her sanction; it's a takedown piece, meant to assuage any doubts the fan might have about the cheating nature of this athlete and the rightness of the world.

"Sharapova, like some other veteran players, was already looking at 2016, which includes the Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, as a potential endgame. A two-year ban would keep her out of the sport until early 2018, which might be too long to keep the internal flame alight, particularly in view of her recurring injuries.

But her legal team intends to argue for a much shorter suspension, and the feeling in the Sharapova camp Tuesday was that a ban of one year or less was achievable.

“That would be the first thing I [[a sports lawyer interviewed for the article]] would counsel her to do, is to apply for a retroactive T.U.E.,” he said. “It’s a tough standard to meet, a much harder standard than a forward-going T.U.E., but I’ve had a case in the past where that happened, and I’ve gotten retroactive T.U.E.s. that have wiped out adverse analytical findings. It’s not impossible.”

John Haggerty, Sharapova’s lawyer, was asked about that possibility. “Maria and I are looking at all our options,” he said. He also declined to comment, citing confidentiality, on whether Sharapova had listed meldonium, which is also known as mildronate, on her doping control form when she had given samples in the past.

The nature of Sharapova’s long-term usage should be critical to her case. If she can prove it was for legitimate medical purposes, the case for leniency is stronger. There is also the fact that she has plenty of company in 2016, with athletes across a range of sports — from figure skating and speed skating to track and weight lifting — testing positive this year for meldonium, whose use was reportedly widespread before the ban, particularly in Russia."

Decent analysis from the NYT...... https://t.co/KS3svkprR5

Haggerty's statement is at odds with what Lindsey Davenport said previously based on her meeting with Sharapova and her Laywer :confused: ........

Establishing the plausibility of her long term usage being for legitimate medical reasons is the nub of this situation...

Re:

arcus said:
<snipped>

Haggerty's statement is at odds with what Lindsey Davenport said previously based on her meeting with Sharapova and her Laywer :confused: ........

Establishing the plausibility of her long term usage being for legitimate medical reasons is the nub of this situation...

A long term user would have some kind of heart problem wouldn't they? I thought people with heart problems were told to refrain from strenuous exercise?

May 21, 2010
Visit site

Maxiton said:
blackcat said:
BullsFan22 said:
Maxiton said:
Surprisingly decent article in the guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/mar/09/maria-sharapova-error-excuse-drugs. Not a huge amount of new ground, but well written and gratifyingly skeptical.

While I agree with you, at least in part,* I'm not sure how an article on Sharapova, as reported in the various media outlets as failing a drug test, is a direct assault on Russian soft power. I'm certain there are other Tennis stars from other countries using drugs it's just that they haven't been caught yet.

*personally, I view all these articles as something "meant to assuage any doubts the fan might" by emphasizing the uniqueness of the athlete's moral decrepitude (regardless of country of origin) and downplaying any suggestion that drug usage, in the sport in question, might actually be more pervasive than originally thought.

"The chair of Grendiks’ (Meldonium's manufacturer) board of supervisors, Kirovs Lipmans, is also president of the Latvian Hockey Federation and an executive member of the Latvian Olympic Committee. His dual role as a Latvian sports official and director of a company that produces a performance-enhancing drug raised eyebrows with at least one US anti-doping official. “It’s weird,” says the official, on background."

lol

http://www.wired.com/2016/03/meldonium-became-doping-drug-choice/

The chances of Maria Sharapova obtaining a retrospective TUE are close to zero. What exceptional circumstances or emergency to justify such a grant, would there be? That she was being legitimately treated with the drug? She had ample opportunity to go through the TUE process.

If she was being legitimately prescribed the drug, as she claims, would she have had to declare its (non-banned) use on a doping control form? As far as I can see such a declaration of drug use is purely advisory.

Zebadeedee said:
The chances of Maria Sharapova obtaining a retrospective TUE are close to zero. What exceptional circumstances or emergency to justify such a grant, would there be? That she was being legitimately treated with the drug? She had ample opportunity to go through the TUE process.

If she was being legitimately prescribed the drug, as she claims, would she have had to declare its (non-banned) use on a doping control form? As far as I can see such a declaration of drug use is purely advisory.

She will claim that she used a valid, legal prescription for 10 years, but slipped-up for 3 weeks, not realizing her 'health-saving medication' was suddenly banned... Personally, I'm not buying that for one second.

IIRC, athletes are required to list all prescription and non-prescription drugs (banned or otherwise), as well as all ingested supplements, on doping-control forms.... I believe it's mandatory.

arcus said:
Zebadeedee said:

She will claim that she used a valid, legal prescription for 10 years, but slipped-up for 3 weeks, not realizing her 'health-saving medication' was suddenly banned... Personally, I'm not buying that for one second.

IIRC, athletes are required to list all prescription and non-prescription drugs (banned or otherwise), as well as all ingested supplements, on doping-control forms.... I believe it's mandatory.
Athletes should do this but it is not mandatory.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Zebadeedee said:

she can afford a few massive bribes. <think Gorski Nike 1999 Verbruggen 500k>

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Catwhoorg said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2016/03/08/why-maria-sharapova-does-not-deserve-sympathy/

Paul Haywood writes in the Telegraph, worth a read.
He is taking quite an aggressive stance for a broadsheet in the UK.

He did similar on athletics. He's fairly good but as I said with the athletics scandal, I seen a lot of football journalists who couldn't wait to have an opinion on it but couldn't be bothered to ask questions and do the digging in their own sport. It's been no different this time. Seen it all over twitter. Lets see if the reports are true about Chelsea, will they question or write about Conte and his high haematocrit at Juve.

Nadal:

Nadal was at the Indian Wells tournament discussing Maria Sharapova's failed drug test -- "She should be punished" -- when he seized the opportunity to scotch unfounded rumors that he had used performance-enhancing drugs.

"I have never had the temptation of doing something wrong. I am very far from that, doping," said the 14-time grand slam winner, who has been hard hit in recent years by injury.

"I am a completely clean guy. I worked so hard during my career that when I get injured I never take nothing (banned) to be back quicker."

Throughout his trophy-laden career Nadal, 29, has been periodically dogged by whispers of doping.

"I heard it a few times again about doping from my person and I am a little bit tired with that," Nadal said, adding that he sees himself as an ambassador for tennis and wouldn't tarnish his image as a role model for young players.

"I believe in the sport and the values of the sport," the Spaniard said.

"The sport is an example for society. It is an example for the kids and if I am doing something that goes against that, I will be lying to myself, not lying to my opponents."

Nadal said over the course of his career he has taken advantage of some new treatments for his knee problems, like stem-cell therapy and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) therapy, often known as blood spinning.

"I have been open all my career. I never tried to hide nothing that I did," Nadal said. "I did PRP and then I did stem cells.

"The first time with PRP it worked fantastic and the second time it was bad. I had to stop playing tennis for seven months.

"And with stem cells I used it two times on my knees and it worked very well.

"I am not doing, never did, and never going to do something wrong."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rafael-nadal-says-weary-doping-rumors-042013486--ten.html;_ylt=AwrXnCc59.BWVQgA0r3QtDMD;_ylu=X3oDMTByb2lvbXVuBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--

Not mandatory to disclose drug use at all. Predictably she'll claim very intermittent use to explain its non-appearance on her doping control forms. I can see lots of obfuscation developing in this story.

The Russian view of the drug seems to be fairly well explained in this article http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/10/sports/tennis/meldonium-russian-athletes-maria-sharapova-doping.html which seems well written. Interesting to see how they think. If it does improve recovery etc and not just have therapeutic uses claimed for it you can see why they used it while it was legal. They viewed its use as legitimate, not only because it had not been banned, but it seemed to help recovery. No, they weren't necessarily using it to treat heart conditions.

Obviously the ban will impact on Russia, Latvia, Lithuania and other countries where the drug is available and it looks as if they were targeted, save that it was a general ban on the drug's use intended to reduce any advantage to anyone from it. It seems unlikely that anyone, Sharapova included, would have been on it all the time, but perhaps mostly as they thought they should and when coaches saw fit to dish it out. It may have had no more significance to Russians than taking aspirin for a bad head or as an anti-platelet medicine.

None of this background detracts from her extreme negligence in still taking it after the ban. What are the chances that she cynically continued in knowledge of the ban? I assess them as less than the alternative explanation she offered.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
BullsFan22 said:
Maxiton said:
BullsFan22 said:
Maxiton said:
BullsFan22 said:
Wasn't expecting this. Not the part about her actually taking potential PED's, but the fact that they actually tested her and this was made public. Are finally getting somewhere? When will the Williams sisters, Nadal, et al be busted?

Probably political, having to do with the apparent need to take down all things Russian.

Sarcasm?

No, not sarcasm at all. Look around. Everything that projects Russian soft power in international sport is under assault. Apparently Sharapova is no exception.

Yeah. There is definitely a lot of truth in that. Seems very shady at how much the western media is trying to bring down Russia. From the Ukraine crisis, to Sochi, to social issues in Russia, to the 2015 Track and Field World's, to the Syria crisis, to the supposed widespread doping. You'd think that Putin is much worse than Hitler after what's being said and written in western (particularly US and German) media.

but Hersh has different mail
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v38/n01/seymour-m-hersh/military-to-military

deep state relations have been good since Perestroika

Where is Python(member) when you need him?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
@blackcat.

i already posted upthread i dont think the meldronate-gate is a political thing and that i am skeptical of sharapova's story... 2 ukies got popped with the thing, a swede (of ethiopian roots) etc. the whole thing is flooding b/c the anti-doping machine has gone the line of least resistance. like the cops we see in the cities ganging up on the easy pray like pedestrians, homeless and cyclists...

that said, i truly don't like how the western media's gone into frenzy. i truly experience deep aversion to any, not just this psychosis, dog piling, chest thumping or any feel-good posturing b/c someone can be stomped into mud for their mistakes.

so i stay away as i find no need in cheap gloating or an entertained at anyone's expense.