• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tennis

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sciocco said:
I could've sworn the commentators mentioned at some point today the magic pills were pain killers.

Commentators covering for the star power that keeps them in their jobs?

No waiii.

Ok some maybe dont know but we've seen in this sport with people like ligget that journalists and commentators have as much to lose from doping scandals as the athletes themselves and the governing bodies, and they will go just as far if not further to protect that,

BTW ( i could be wrong on this ) as far as I understand there's a difference between drugs which alleviate the pain to someone who will then rest the body part that is hurt, and drugs which get a professional athlete who is about to continue to use that body part, relentlessly for the next 2 hours, to temporarily overcome his injury, in an instant.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Commentators covering for the star power that keeps them in their jobs?

No waiii.

Ok some maybe dont know but we've seen in this sport with people like ligget that journalists and commentators have as much to lose from doping scandals as the athletes themselves and the governing bodies, and they will go just as far if not further to protect that,

BTW ( i could be wrong on this ) as far as I understand there's a difference between drugs which alleviate the pain to someone who will then rest the body part that is hurt, and drugs which get a professional athlete who is about to continue to use that body part, relentlessly for the next 2 hours, to temporarily overcome his injury, in an instant.

I'm not trying to defend Delpo nor do I believe the commentators even really know much, but you mentioned the 'magic pills' bit and I simply added a small bit of information to the subject.

I believe it was also mentioned he received (and used) additional pain killers during the match, but... I'm not planning to re-watch all of today's Wimbledon to hear the two phrases or so that were brought up.

Pain killers don't keep you running like Del Potro was in that match. He's a good actor. I,ve always stuck by Potro because he's one of the players who look genuinely tired after playing a rally - a bit like Murray used to.

BUT this match was a different Potro....he wasn't tired....I watched carefully and he was fresh as Djokovic in that match...and the score reflects that.

Potro has decided to join them...cant blame him...least he's doing a good job of playing down the 'difference in his performance'.

Even the commentators commented on his durability.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
nevada said:
Nice article in the Sunday Times by Pat Cash.

Naive or Omertà ?

What does it say?

Dope was sure as he'll around in the days of Cash.

Some Murray quotes in the independent on Sunday about his relationship with Djokovic:

"I still message him sometimes and we've spent a lot of time discussing various issues within tennis and doing what I think was best for the sport".

Reminds me of Lance chasing down Pantani and saying "I was protecting the interests of the peloton". I wonder if Murray is referring to his former criticisms of the "invasive" drug testing regime and his criticism of the "whistleblower" Odensik.

Well if that wasn't a match fix I don't know what is. Djokovic beaten in 3 straight sets ! how much more ridiculous can today get.....Sky ride like the local club to regain viewers and get the worlds press off their case....and then Djokovic hands Murray the Wimbledon title.

Time to take an interest in Curling.

Cycle Chic said:
Well if that wasn't a match fix I don't know what is. Djokovic beaten in 3 straight sets ! how much more ridiculous can today get.....Sky ride like the local club to regain viewers and get the worlds press off their case....and then Djokovic hands Murray the Wimbledon title.

More usual BS from you. Posting without thinking in the slightest.

Britain hasn't had a wimbledon winner in 80 years. They had a good 6 or so years of Henman and its been about 5 or so years with Murray, and according to you they decide 2013 is the year to fix it.

Any particular reason this year was chosen. Did your tea leaves tell you?

Sterling

The Hitch said:

Britain hasn't had a wimbledon winner in 80 years. They had a good 6 or so years of Henman and its been about 5 or so years with Murray, and according to you they decide 2013 is the year to fix it.

Yes, sterling is about to tank. Same deal in 1966.

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Silly interview with McEnroe where he talks about players nowadays playing on a completely different level from when he was playing. Del Potro hitting the ball harder than anyone he has ever seen on wimbledon, djokovic being able to retrieve those balls for 5 hours etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz5S1ae-Ht8

I'm not sure if he is a) delusional b) trying to sell tennis or c) thinks we are all idiots.

Possibly all of the above.

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:

quads-o.gif

ggg-new.gif

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:

Seriously?

Novak played an incredibly tough 5 set match in the semi. For once, it just looked like he wasn't able to recover in time.

The Hitch said:

When I say that the match was 'fixed' I mean Djokovic THREW IT...not that it was fixed by the LTA etc.

Did you watch the 3rd set ? Djokovic spraying balls ? did you see the stats for this match ? unforced errors for Djokovic were off the richter....when he lost the first 2 sets he threw it. Djokovic tired from the Potro match ?? :rolleyes:

The first 2 sets were the real deal. Set 1 went on forever, rallies were amazing and hard fought. The 2nd set was the same....but when he'd lost those 2 sets he threw it....and came out smelling of roses.

And bringing Henman into the equation is laughable...timmy the tiger grrrrrr I don't think so....not in the same class as Murray.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
When I say that the match was 'fixed' I mean Djokovic THREW IT...not that it was fixed by the LTA etc.

Did you watch the 3rd set ? Djokovic spraying balls ? did you see the stats for this match ? unforced errors for Djokovic were off the richter....when he lost the first 2 sets he threw it. Djokovic tired from the Potro match ?? :rolleyes:

The first 2 sets were the real deal. Set 1 went on forever, rallies were amazing and hard fought. The 2nd set was the same....but when he'd lost those 2 sets he threw it....and came out smelling of roses.

And bringing Henman into the equation is laughable...timmy the tiger grrrrrr I don't think so....not in the same class as Murray.

Are you for real? Djokovic fought back from 0-2 down to lead 4-2 in the final set and then had three break points in the final game after going 40-0 down. Doesn't sound like the performance of a player who was throwing the match to me. But then again, the number one seed lost to the number two seed so it must have been dodgy, the higher seeded player should always win. Is there anything in the world which you think isn't a conspiracy?

Bernie's eyesore said:
Are you for real? Djokovic fought back from 0-2 down to lead 4-2 in the final set and then had three break points in the final game after going 40-0 down. Doesn't sound like the performance of a player who was throwing the match to me. But then again, the number one seed lost to the number two seed so it must have been dodgy, the higher seeded player should always win. Is there anything in the world which you think isn't a conspiracy?

I didn't watch the 3rd set...after seeing Djokovic missing the tramlines by half a metre, unforced errors that I would have got in play...I watched the recording of the day's Tour.....at least that was funnier than Wimbledon....watching Sky act out their pre-planned pop :)