• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tennis

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
I didn't watch the 3rd set...after seeing Djokovic missing the tramlines by half a metre, unforced errors that I would have got in play...I watched the recording of the day's Tour.....at least that was funnier than Wimbledon....watching Sky act out their pre-planned pop :)

But you've still not actually said why Djokovic might have decided to 'throw' the third set. It seems to be a conspiracy based on nothing but your eagerness to be outraged at (or read into) everything you see.

faraday said:
But you've still not actually said why Djokovic might have decided to 'throw' the third set. It seems to be a conspiracy based on nothing but your eagerness to be outraged at (or read into) everything you see.

Says Mr Junior poster who has 8 posts....go read some threads me laddie and wisen up before you join in the discussions.

Cycle Chic said:
Says Mr Junior poster who has 8 posts....go read some threads me laddie and wisen up before you join in the discussions.

could you be anymore patronising? since when has the number of posts a member has made be a contributing factor towards whether someone is eligble to join the discussion.

'doh

Cycle Chic said:

if you insist on being patronising at least post in a logical manner on subject you know what you are talking about

you make a decision admitting you only saw part of the match?

i know little about tennis but at the match end murray's opponent was fighting hard not to lose

welcome new members they can offer much to discussion

Mark L

ebandit said:
if you insist on being patronising at least post in a logical manner on subject you know what you are talking about

you make a decision admitting you only saw part of the match?

i know little about tennis but at the match end murray's opponent was fighting hard not to lose

welcome new members they can offer much to discussion

Mark L

I know A LOT ABOUT TENNIS !

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
buckle said:
What we Brits have to fear is that the government will sink the pound on the back of all this as happened in 1966. Heck if Rose wins the Open our summer holidays will be really expensive.
george shortos

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:

Funny thing is I used to have 1,000+ posts, but they all got removed.

Probably an Anglo-Saxon conspiracy.

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
thrawn said:
Seriously?

Novak played an incredibly tough 5 set match in the semi. For once, it just looked like he wasn't able to recover in time.

This. To me he just looked slightly slower than normal, it can make you miss by a lot if your slightly out of position.

Haven't seen Djoko like this since he went 'gluten free' but seriously what incentive would he have to throw the match?? Match fixing is usually betting related, no one stands to win that much money when its #1 v #2, maybe if he lost in the first round... In any case, I think it would be pretty hard to 'convince' a top 10 player to throw a match, they certainly dont need the money.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
I know A LOT ABOUT TENNIS !

Do you know much about match-fixing though?

What would be Djokovic's motivation for losing? He's obviously been highly motivated to win over the years, leaving home at 12 to train in an academy (much as Murray and Nadal did) and even goes as far as doping to win (according to some; yourself included, if memory serves).

His career prize money earnings are $51m, and for top tennis players, prize money is usually loose change vs that earned from endorsements. (Federer earnt $65m for endorsements in 2012 for example.)

So, it seems reasonable to conclude that he wouldn't lose a match for money, which is the usual reason.

So why would he do it?

sugarman said:
This. To me he just looked slightly slower than normal, it can make you miss by a lot if your slightly out of position.

Haven't seen Djoko like this since he went 'gluten free' but seriously what incentive would he have to throw the match?? Match fixing is usually betting related, no one stands to win that much money when its #1 v #2, maybe if he lost in the first round... In any case, I think it would be pretty hard to 'convince' a top 10 player to throw a match, they certainly dont need the money.

It wouldn't be a match fix aka cricket. The first 2 sets were a true competition and the rallies reflected that, Djokovic having an argument with the umpire proved how intent he was to win. The 3rd set was laughable....a friend also commented 'when have you ever seen Djokovic make SO MANY UNFORCED ERRORS'.

When have you ever seen a top 5 player have a 'tired match' - doesn't happen these days and we know why. So for Djoko to 'spray balls' around like he did was a red flag to anyone. Beginning of that 3rd set he couldn't hit a ball in court - I recall a passing shot from Murray when Djoko was at the net and Djoko was so close to the ball he could have caught it in his hand.

No idea why Djoko didn't comeback from 2 sets down...but he threw that 3rd set.

And the argument as to why wouldn't Murray have been gifted the Wimbledon title in last years final against Federer....well Federer's career is on the way down and he hadn't had a win never mind a Grand Slam title for some time.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
And the argument as to why wouldn't Murray have been gifted the Wimbledon title in last years final against Federer....

The argument is actually why would Murray be gifted the Wimbledon title in any year?

Your post implies that gifting the home player the title is the normal course of events!

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I didn't see Djokovic throw the match either.
Djokovic had a couple of unlucky points. Some breakpoints where he came very close, only for Murray to come up with some magic shot or magic piece of athletic ability.
Also, Djokovic was genuinely angered by a couple of the linesmen's calls, which doesn't exactly fit the matchfixing scenario.
Well, if there was any match-fixing, perhaps it was the linesmen, or Hawkeye software reprogrammed to favor Murray.

Anyway, Murray was ridiculously strong and fit once more.
While Djokovic at least showed some signs of exhaustion, Murray didn't, even though he played later on Friday.
Good thing Walsh 'believes' in Murray. That's settled then.
Ow, and can anybody tell Murray that having his mom shouting and fist-raising in the crowd at every match is really uncool?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/te...-players-playing-Wimbledon-Championships.html

With the world’s most prestigious tennis tournament due to start at Wimbledon a fortnight tomorrow, match-fixing experts have voiced fears that up to a dozen top-50 players who have been involved in ‘suspicious’ matches could be in action at the All England Club.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/te...ng-Wimbledon-Championships.html#ixzz2YXMYvhge
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

AGAIN..:rolleyes: I don't think money was Djoko's reason for throwing the match...most likely 'a give' to Murray. Good for the game, good PR.

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
...beginning of that 3rd set he couldn't hit a ball in court - I recall a passing shot from Murray when Djoko was at the net and Djoko was so close to the ball he could have caught it in his hand.

Certainly the match stats for Djokovic would completely disagree (Source = http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/stats/day21/1701ms.html):
Set 1 - winners = 6, unforced errors = 17
Set 2 - winners = 11, unforced errors = 12
Set 3 - winners = 14, unforced errors = 11

Having watched the third set, you may have seen he was going for more winners on his forehand in the 3rd set - presumably because he was two sets down and forced to be more attacking and less passive. This seems to be backed up by the stats.

Yet he actually decreased his unforced error count, which is the opposite of what usually happens when you become more attacking. And definitely the opposite of what you'd expect if he was throwing the match.

Cycle Chic said:
I know A LOT ABOUT TENNIS.

I would seriously query that.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
AGAIN..:rolleyes: I don't think money was Djoko's reason for throwing the match...most likely 'a give' to Murray. Good for the game, good PR.

So how does Djokovic benefit from letting Murray win? You sensibly agree that money wouldn't be a possible motivation, so how do the very imprecise terms "good for the game" and "good PR" motivate Djokovic to deliberately lose the Wimbledon final? Djokovic has to be a willing participant in any match-fixing and for your theory to be plausible, you have to establish a motive for Djokovic. We've ruled out money, so was his girlfriend being held hostage by the Russian mafia or has the Sun got negatives of him in a threesome with Navratilova and Mauresmo? Or something else?

The most plausible explanation for Murray winning is that he's actually the best grass-court tennis player at the moment. He only conceded superiority to Federer in last year's final when the roof shut (making it a defacto indoor court, which favours Federer) since when he's won 8 sets in row on grass against Federer and Djokovic who were both ranked #1 at the time.

Djokovic's error rate was a combination of being more fatigued than Murray (his semi was a lot harder) and having to go for higher risk shots due to the sheer number of balls Murray was getting back and the speed, depth and angle of these returns. Murray was "in the zone" on Sunday, playing with a constant level of aggression, rather than rolling over and dying as he'd done in his first few Grand Slam finals. (Lendl should get an honourary knighthood if Muzza gets the real thing.)

Wallace and Gromit said:
The argument is actually why would Murray be gifted the Wimbledon title in any year?

Your post implies that gifting the home player the title is the normal course of events!

Because Murray may not be British anymore next year ;) Scotland is having a referendum. ( I could almost believe this to be honest )

Or maybe they really like the number 7 and it's been 77 years since the last british men's champion, the last british woman to win wimbledon was in 77 and the Murray Djokovic game was on the 7th of July ( 7/7 ) . Say whaaaaaaaaat?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/te...-players-playing-Wimbledon-Championships.html

that final wasn't fixed, cycling chic.
Or if it was, both players deserve an Oscar, cuz it looked like a genuine fight to me.

you're often right that where there is smoke there tends to be fire in topsport.
But in this case i don't even see any smoke.
No suspicious rallies, nothing. No give aways. No odd drop in form during the match.
Djokovic was at a pretty constant level. Even when he was frontrunning in sets 2 and 3, he never really dropped his level, but Murray simply upped his game and came up with a lot of extra class on difficult moments.
Stunning mental and physical display by Murray, if you ask me.

Both players doped to the gills, of course, but nobody threw nothing here, imo.

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Wallace and Gromit said:
Dont forget that in the Chic's world, your low post count means you know nothing. So run along now, son!

What, no-one bought my story about the low post count being a conspiracy?
Thanks for the heads-up Dad!

sniper said:
that final wasn't fixed, cycling chic.
Or if it was, both players deserve an Oscar, cuz it looked like a genuine fight to me.

I'm not arguing that Djokovic threw the game, but tennis is one of the easiest sports to throw. You can play full on 99% of the points and a couple of unforced errors throw it for you.
I mean so many games end up with a forfeit etc, for no apparent reason, call the trainer for a few massages to your leg or knee and you're done.

I'm not up for looking up loads of sources right now, but I've read many articles about match-fixing and gambling being a problem in Tennis, both at the top level and at lower levels ( with only lower level players getting caught of course ).