• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tennis

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
sugarman said:
Interesting update on THASP yesterday...

http://tennishasasteroidproblem.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/an-inconvenient-truth.html

In a nutshell: Stuart Millar confirmed that circa 2007-8, EPO tests were only conducted if a prior (unsanctioned) 'screening' showed that that player may be using EPO or similar.

Among the most tested for EPO in that period were...
Federer (4 times)
Djokovic (3 times)
Nadal (2 times)

About 80 (official, secondary) EPO tests were carried out in period. No declared positives, obviously.

Interesting that Federer was targeted, I wondered what triggered it (high haematocrit) represents the first kind of proof I've seen against him beyond his quality of play.

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Cilic suspended 9 months for doping, trololololol

Everyone can go back to sleep now. We got the big bad guy. Please return to your seats for the upcoming 5 hour final of Nadal vs Joke'o'vic. Move along folks

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
iejeecee said:

Everyone can go back to sleep now. We got the big bad guy. Please return to your seats for the upcoming 5 hour final of Nadal vs Joke'o'vic. Move along folks

maybe he will start talking

is enough 1 stone to start the domino effect

HappyCycling said:
A typical Nadal fan response on the topic of doping

Cortisone? Are you ****ing serious? And definitely tennis players should be very dumb if use HGH because its effects does more harm than good in resistance sports like tennis and I have my doubts about testosterone would be beneficial to play tennis, at least in long periods, because with a good training routine should be enough to have the muscular mass necessary, in fact players like Djokovic or Federer have shown that they can be successful with very little muscle mass. Blood transfusions have more sense but I don't think that anybody risk now to do it because with the biological passport would be easy to catch a cheater only to gain a 3% of resistance and endurance. EPO are which more sense would have for a tennis player. EPO can improve a 6,4% the oxygen consumption in the best cases which obviously helps to prolongs resistance, endurance and accelerate recuperation.

Yep, they really are that blind.

Meh, on some tennis forums there's definitely quite a lot people who believe at least 8 of the top 10 are doping

iejeecee said:

More like five or six months seeing that his nine month ban, so-called, runs from the time he tested positive, May 2013, as opposed to the time he started his silent ban, sometime after Wimbledon and before the Montreal Masters in August. He's back on tour in February 2014.

The "nine months" is for headlines only, to keep the punters sweet.

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Briant_Gumble said:
Side effect of Androgen use? Break to cycle off? Legitimate injury?

What does the clinic think?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/24163790

It could be a legitimate injury but could also offer an opportunity to cycle down and up à la Nadal. It will be interesting to see how he performs on his comeback. If he immediately demolishes most of the opposition eyebrows are going to be raised. If this happens of course the fanboy excuse is already there - his back is cured, he is free of pain therefore better than ever - like Nadal's miraculously healing knees.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Parker said:
I think he's got a bad back. It's been an on off problem for a while.

Sportsmen get injured. If you can't understand that then go and play some sport and you will learn yourself.
Ehm, he quit rolland garros due to alleged backproblems, then comes back two weeks later to win wimbledon in massively impressive style.
oh well

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I'd put it at 99% that the injury for the French open was an opportunity to load up on drugs before Wimbledon.

The difference in the opportunity to "prepare" before Wimbledon playing the French and not playing the French is large, it's not like playing some tournament in Tenerife.

Not sure if this latest injury is genuine.

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Nadal's amazing run after 7 months out with a career-threatening injury has shown what it takes now to win grand slam events. Murray's made his move - Team Nole will be planning a response no doubt.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Guys taking breaks from the circuit apparently getting out of shape and returning to win key events is straight out of 90's era cycling.

A journalist has to see the parallels.

sniper said:
Ehm, he quit rolland garros due to alleged backproblems, then comes back two weeks later to win wimbledon in massively impressive style.
oh well

All rubbish, he quit the Italian Open on 15 May and returned to the Aegon Champs on 13 June. Never went close to Rolland Garros this year.

He is a doper but crap facts don't help anyone.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
wansteadimp said:
All rubbish, he quit the Italian Open on 15 May and returned to the Aegon Champs on 13 June. Never went close to Rolland Garros this year.

He is a doper but crap facts don't help anyone.

The AEGON championships are the week after the French.

I don't see how you can say he never went close to Roland Garros.

Saying he's a doper but didn't strategically skip the French doesn't make sense. Remember how many athletes hotel rooms were raided in the Festina affair? The last minute cancellation of raids on Lance room. Those were some key weeks in his preparation for Wimbledon.

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
The cleanest peleton ever is true. Cycling is the cleanest sport at this moment.

I'm so ****ed off by football/tennis/swimming etc. They all dope eating pills like candies and cycling get's the public heat.

Cookson should have on agenda to push doping reforms (more likely normal doping controls. if cycling doping controls would applied to football there will be no ECL tomorrow from lack of players) on other sports to. If the filth in other sports is uncovered that cycling will have only to gain.

TRENDING THREADS