• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tennis

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Its not hard to see tennis players are doped.. just look at some of the top 10 females and you know something is wrong, simply from watching it..

But ohh well..

The avg fan don't care! they want to see gladiators fight (this goes for all sports)

May 31, 2011
Visit site
here's something you don't see every day...

a tennis player (cilic) actually getting tired during a game. it is so rare it's noteworthy.

he was sweating like a maniac from the first set:confused:

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Transfusions are probably rife in tennis. There were only 18 OOC blood tests in 2011 for all the men, even more incredibly only 3 for the whole of the WTA!

One of the worst moments for me as a tennis fan was watching the Nadal versus Djokovic final at the U.S. Open last year. I kept cringing every time I heard Patrick MacEnroe describe the players as "physically redefining what is possible on a tennis court".

Serena Williams and her treatment by the commentators in the U.S. coverage really get under my skin. It seems so blatantly obvious to me that she is doping. Everything from her larger than life physique, her power almost rivaling speeds seen in the men's game, the suspicious pulmonary embolism, and the bizarre incident where she apparently locked herself in the panic room in her house to avoid an out of competition test all raise serious questions about her performance. Turns my stomach to see the commentators fawning over her and failing to ask tough questions.

All of that being said you have to be careful about singling out single players. As with cycling doping in tennis is likely to be a sport wide problem involving a large percentage of players over the years.

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Blakeslee said:
One of the worst moments for me as a tennis fan was watching the Nadal versus Djokovic final at the U.S. Open last year. I kept cringing every time I heard Patrick MacEnroe describe the players as "physically redefining what is possible on a tennis court".

When I see something that's too good to be true I always suspects PEDs. The previous year's US Open when he won Nadal found an extra 10mph on his first serve out of nowhere.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Bicycle said:
When I see something that's too good to be true I always suspects PEDs. The previous year's US Open when he won Nadal found an extra 10mph on his first serve out of nowhere.

Marginal gains dude. Maybe he had a swim coach or something, did you ever consider that? Maybe he's serving with a slower swing but a bigger racquet? Maybe he's staying at 95% fitness through the year and never really peaking?

Imagine if he was an American, with all that crowd cheering for him. :eek:

Does he warm down after the match at all?

Cycle Chic said:
Sa MAN tha Stosur interviewed today after her win - the voice is becoming hard to disguise - its as deep as Del Potro's.

rickibobbi said:
...as does Stosur (have you seen her muscle definition?!)..very very different upper body muscle development.

Come onnnnnnn. You guys are being way to harsh. There is nothing unusual about Sam Stosurs physical development. Look, here is some chronological documentary evidence:

Sam a couple of years ago in 2009:
svSTOSURPAGEONE-420x0.jpg

Sam143.jpg

Sam in 2012:
7039952.jpg

517201-sam-stosur.jpg

Not at all suspicious. Nothing to see here. Move along

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Muscular g- I mean marginal gains again.

Bigger racquets with slower, more powerful swings lead to faster ball speed. And strength. You don't expect to use a bigger racquet and not get stronger do you?

In all seriousness though, sittingbison, that is an epic series of shots.

LauraLyn

BANNED
Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
sittingbison said:
Come onnnnnnn. You guys are being way to harsh. There is nothing unusual about Sam Stosurs physical development. Look, here is some chronological documentary evidence:

Sam143.jpg

Sam in 2012:
7039952.jpg

517201-sam-stosur.jpg

Wow, I've been taking the wrong vitamins.

I find the change to her facial features the most shocking.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Bicycle said:

You mean in 2010? That extra mph was not much more than he had before, and it didn't come 'out of nowhere'. Nadal trained this for weeks before the USO. There is some trainer who sued him for not 'acknowledging' he showed to Ndal how to get more out of his serve. I doubt this can be gained by just taking some pill.

'Look at the females' well, the female physiognomy might show any changes to the body more. A little testosterone here and there- i don't know if Stosur is already shaving yet, but her voice gets deeper every year.

Jokes aside, i doubt blood doping would be done in tennis. You can't plan for that accurate enough. Imagine you plan a blood transfusion for playing a final, but then the player loses in R1 or gets injured long beforehand. That wouldn't work.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
I found this interesting:

The ITF recognised the life ban that USADA handed down and released a statement saying so at the time. Now according to this Errani was told by them she could go still to him if she wanted. This is strange.:confused:

not just strange. more like a friggin disgrace. a major farce. a bad joke.
indeed the bit you highlighted about the ITF allowing her to continue working with DM is downright baffling, considering their previous recognition of the USADA ban.
and note that Errani said "I will stop working with Del Moral".
So she's still working with him!
I assume that means Ferrer is also still working with him. Have you seen that guy? Like a roided monkey jumping and running up and down the court. my goodness. and where are the angry colleagues who surely must feel cheated? :rolleyes:

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
peterh said:
You mean in 2010? That extra mph was not much more than he had before, and it didn't come 'out of nowhere'. Nadal trained this for weeks before the USO. There is some trainer who sued him for not 'acknowledging' he showed to Ndal how to get more out of his serve. I doubt this can be gained by just taking some pill.

Jokes aside, i doubt blood doping would be done in tennis. You can't plan for that accurate enough. Imagine you plan a blood transfusion for playing a final, but then the player loses in R1 or gets injured long beforehand. That wouldn't work.

That's precisely what PEDs do - give you that "little extra".

Blood doping enables you to train much harder - the effects last some time after you stop. Particularly suspect are those players who take time off tour "injured" and then come back as good as ever if not better.

There are a number of sports stars who I have no absolutely no doubt dope. Top Spanish footballers, tennis players and cyclists, Jamaican and American sprinters, African distance runners.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Nadal's serve speed in 2010 went up and down like a yo-yo, always peaking at the "fast surface slams" (Wimbledon, USO), then trailing off rapidly after these prestigious events. He typically served at 110 - 115 mph at the non-slams, then served at 118 to 121 mph at Wimbledon, and the USO. A few weeks after the USO, his serve dropped back below 115 mph.

It is widely believed by myself, and others that Nadal used his "PRP" treatments to get IGF1 injections a few weeks before these prestigious "fast surface" events, then used testosterone patches on off days during these events (tennis does NO off-day testing, and testosterone patches clear the system in 12 hours). His serve speeds at some tournaments (Wimbledon 2011) peaked out at his final two matches (semi, and final) when he could use the extra power the most (the toughest competition at a tennis tournament is in the final matches).

You do NOT serve 120 mph with your non-dominant hand (Nadal is right-handed, but serves with his left hand). Try throwing a ball (similar motion to a tennis serve) with your non-dominant hand, and see how hard you throw. Nadal's fishy serve speeds, suggest that they are being "managed" somehow. With the mountain of circumstantial evidence against Nadal, PEDs are the most likely explanation.

sittingbison said:

Sam143.jpg

Sam in 2012:
7039952.jpg

517201-sam-stosur.jpg

Thats amazing - well done sittingbison !

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Andynonomous said:

you would no doubt agree that Nadal isn't the only tennis player on a heavy duty program. but PEDS do seem to favor his style, or rather generally the spanish style of playing, which is traditionally based on heavy topspin, lots of running, etc (the gravel tradition). The game of guys like Nadal and Ferrer is based almost exclusively on the physical intimidation, outpowering and outrunning of their opponents.
Of course they aren't the first in that tradition (just think of Thomas Muster, Michael Chang, Leyton Hewitt, and some other guys), but Nadal, Ferrer and also Djoker are setting new standards in terms of fitness.

Now, with huge guys like Berdych, Del Potro and Murray running up and down the court like Michael Chang used to do, there can be no doubt that PEDs are a major asset of every top 20 player's game.

I also find Germans Haas and Kohlschreiber somewhat suspect, not just because they're extremely fit, but also because both ignored the olympics in spite of being in topform.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
you would no doubt agree that Nadal isn't the only tennis player on a heavy duty program. but PEDS do seem to favor his style, or rather generally the spanish style of playing, which is traditionally based on heavy topspin, lots of running, etc (the gravel tradition). The game of guys like Nadal and Ferrer is based almost exclusively on the physical intimidation, outpowering and outrunning of their opponents.
Of course they aren't the first in that tradition (just think of Thomas Muster, Michael Chang, Leyton Hewitt, and some other guys), but Nadal, Ferrer and also Djoker are setting new standards in terms of fitness.

Now, with huge guys like Berdych, Del Potro and Murray running up and down the court like Michael Chang used to do, there can be no doubt that PEDs are a major asset of every top 20 player's game.

I also find Germans Haas and Kohlschreiber somewhat suspect, not just because they're extremely fit, but also because both ignored the olympics in spite of being in topform.

No doubt that there are many other PED users in tennis (I estimate that about 70% of the top male, and 85% of the top women are using), but there are always some who are on more effective programs (ie. Armstrong using Dr. Ferrari's best program) than others.

As well, some low-skill players whose games are built for PEDs (retriever monkeys) will benefit more than high skill players. This leads to a huge injustice where the lowest skilled players are beating high skill players.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm I'm wondering about Stosur now. I still think she looks wrong, but I think that 2009 pic is like the one of Wiggins sitting on the ground post-Paris Roubaix.

She's right handed and the 2009 pic upthread was from her LHS. And the comparison is between a static muscle shot and a dynamic muscle shot, which is a bad comparison.

This is Stosur in March of 2009

samantha-stosur-at-the-2009-bnp-paribas-open-thumb8607809.jpg

Saroids Errani

Sara Errani has the strangest looking legs. I then remembered a post which said that steroids cause water retention.

Her legs look exactly like they have water retention in the calves. Theres no muscle definition at all.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Andynonomous said:
Nadal's serve speed in 2010 went up and down like a yo-yo, always peaking at the "fast surface slams" (Wimbledon, USO), then trailing off rapidly after these prestigious events. He typically served at 110 - 115 mph at the non-slams, then served at 118 to 121 mph at Wimbledon, and the USO. A few weeks after the USO, his serve dropped back below 115 mph.

It is widely believed by myself, and others that Nadal used his "PRP" treatments to get IGF1 injections a few weeks before these prestigious "fast surface" events, then used testosterone patches on off days during these events (tennis does NO off-day testing, and testosterone patches clear the system in 12 hours). His serve speeds at some tournaments (Wimbledon 2011) peaked out at his final two matches (semi, and final) when he could use the extra power the most (the toughest competition at a tennis tournament is in the final matches).

You do NOT serve 120 mph with your non-dominant hand (Nadal is right-handed, but serves with his left hand). Try throwing a ball (similar motion to a tennis serve) with your non-dominant hand, and see how hard you throw. Nadal's fishy serve speeds, suggest that they are being "managed" somehow. With the mountain of circumstantial evidence against Nadal, PEDs are the most likely explanation.

Nadal's changing service speed is very odd. Whilst it is possible to flatten your servce out to get extra speed, I do wonder why he hasn't tried it since then. It obviously worked wonders to help him win the 2010 US Open. Whilst I'm fairly certain Nadal is on a doping program, I guess the question is why hasn't he been able to serve at the same average speed since?

Donkey to Racehorse

So in 2012 Errani has won 4 titles and is in the top 10. She was nowhere before 2012.
In the first five months of 2012, she won three singles titles, earning over $1.3 million in prize money. Errani herself dubbed her new racquet "Excalibur", named after the sword of King Arthur.

So thats what they,re calling Dr Moral these days - Excalibur :)

TRENDING THREADS