• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tennis

Page 156 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Recovery between long rallies is more important. Just that bit of extra freshness should make shot quality higher, which just means you perform better consistently throughout a match.

Yeah, likely. It's a typical interval sport with frequent but short periods way above anaerobic threshold. Obviously doping can help here. MVP is great at such efforts, maybe he should try tennis to finally end Rafa's clay reign.

Given rare doping controls in tennis it gives a lot of freedom to dope. Not just to increase aerobic capacities (needed to withstand intense rallies) but, which is maybe more important, to regenerate between long matches. Obviously top players are kinda protected from being revealed as dopers cause the federations prefer to maintain image of clean sport.

That and it would be catastrophic if Nadal, Djokovic, Federer fail a test and are actually suspended. The time to pop Nadal was right around the Operacion Puerto and the bust of a number of top cyclists on the eve of the 2006 TDF. He was still big at the time, but now it’s way too late.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
I think if Nadal retires, he should do the honorable thing & offer Zverev a foot transplant.

Not happening

v_image98396.jpg

EkEFdZGVkAACinH.jpg

Tennis is like the Tour de France 1998... if the Willy Voet situation never happened. The media, public & almost entire sporting world applauds supermen performing superhuman exploits & never asks "how is this possible?".

I don't talk a whole lot of tennis with anyone in person, but whenever it does come up with family or friends, I'm in awe that none of them even seem to consider PEDs are being used. I don't know if tennis just seems too clean and white collar as a sport, or if the governing bodies and sponsors just do a really great job selling a clean image to the fans. It's like not even on people's radar that their might be PED abuse going on! Blows my mind.

Reactions: Rackham
I don't talk a whole lot of tennis with anyone in person, but whenever it does come up with family or friends, I'm in awe that none of them even seem to consider PEDs are being used. I don't know if tennis just seems too clean and white collar as a sport, or if the governing bodies and sponsors just do a really great job selling a clean image to the fans. It's like not even on people's radar that their might be PED abuse going on! Blows my mind.
I think there's some fans that really like the narrative that Nadal and to a lesser extent Djokovic dope but other than that tennis is cleanz.

The issue is skillset & the perceived gains PED's give athletes in their respective disciplines.

I don't mean to generalize here (but I will, obviously), i.e. 'people' have an overly simplistic view whereby they equate tennis, football & other sports (mostly without drug scandals because the testing is non-existent or a joke) as skill based whilst cycling as an endurance sport is seen as fertile ground for cheats who win only because they dope & without drugs would be worthless.

Nadal is viewed as a genius who even when faced with accusations of doping, he's seen as skilled to the extent the dope doesn't matter (or wouldn't make a difference). That's the basic context.

Of course try telling people drugs absolutely make a difference in a 4 hour tennis match with endless rallies, or when football teams run, run & run forever without tiring from one match to another.

We're in an era of Cyborgs in all sports & only one (cycling) was seriously targeted to the extent its biggest champions are dope memes every summer. This is obviously not fair at all but public opinion is a difficult beast to figure out or push in the correct direction (which in our case would be simply asking for some realism with regards to the billionaire sports of football + tennis & a little less hypocrisy towards cycling).

For example, apparently Lance Armstrong ran the "most sophisticated doping scheme in sport". Trololol etc. I mean during his era EPO could be purchased over the counter in a pharmacy ffs.

I don't talk a whole lot of tennis with anyone in person, but whenever it does come up with family or friends, I'm in awe that none of them even seem to consider PEDs are being used.

Interesting. Whenever I speak to family or friends about tennis, the consensus is usually the same as for all other important sports (cycling, soccer, American football, swimming, triathlon, athletics, biathlon, Nordic skiing etc.): That almost everyone doing this at a world-class level is doped. But maybe that's just my bubble.

The issue is skillset & the perceived gains PED's give athletes in their respective disciplines.

I don't mean to generalize here (but I will, obviously), i.e. 'people' have an overly simplistic view whereby they equate tennis, football & other sports (mostly without drug scandals because the testing is non-existent or a joke) as skill based whilst cycling as an endurance sport is seen as fertile ground for cheats who win only because they dope & without drugs would be worthless.

Nadal is viewed as a genius who even when faced with accusations of doping, he's seen as skilled to the extent the dope doesn't matter (or wouldn't make a difference). That's the basic context.

Of course try telling people drugs absolutely make a difference in a 4 hour tennis match with endless rallies, or when football teams run, run & run forever without tiring from one match to another.

We're in an era of Cyborgs in all sports & only one (cycling) was seriously targeted to the extent its biggest champions are dope memes every summer. This is obviously not fair at all but public opinion is a difficult beast to figure out or push in the correct direction (which in our case would be simply asking for some realism with regards to the billionaire sports of football + tennis & a little less hypocrisy towards cycling).

For example, apparently Lance Armstrong ran the "most sophisticated doping scheme in sport". Trololol etc. I mean during his era EPO could be purchased over the counter in a pharmacy ffs.
Well said. And you could probably argue that Lance’s (or in fact any pro cyclist’s) doping was sophisticated because you didn’t have to be very sophisticated to dope successfully in the NFL, NBA, FIFA, etc.

Interesting. Whenever I speak to family or friends about tennis, the consensus is usually the same as for all other important sports (cycling, soccer, American football, swimming, triathlon, athletics, biathlon, Nordic skiing etc.): That almost everyone doing this at a world-class level is doped. But maybe that's just my bubble.

I wish I had friends like your friends;) Even people I know who follow sports casually really seem blind to doping in sports like tennis and soccer. Most people I know don't even discuss doping in NFL (American football) or baseball. They must know it goes on, guys caught every so often, but it's completely not a topic of discusson or concern, in my experience.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
I wish I had friends like your friends;) Even people I know who follow sports casually really seem blind to doping in sports like tennis and soccer. Most people I know don't even discuss doping in NFL (American football) or baseball. They must know it goes on, guys caught every so often, but it's completely not a topic of discusson or concern, in my experience.

I wouldn't say that it is a big topic in my circle either. Most people I know just try to ignore it and enjoy the sport without thinking about it. So I agree with you on "not a topic of concern". But every now and then, doping becomes the topic and then my impression is that everyone is well-aware that it is a huge issue in almost every sport.

Story:
Britain's number one-ranked doubles player Tara Moore has been provisionally suspended under anti-doping rules.

She provided a sample containing substances on the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) banned list while competing in Colombia in April.

The 29-year-old, who competed at the French Open last month, tested positive for nandrolone metabolites and Boldenone.

Reactions: Invicituz
Only winners dope. Well known fact.

I think you miss my point. At 390 in the World, she's not making any money. According to the WTA website she has won $30k dollars so far the this year. I doubt that covers her expenses. She's not making a living out of this. Sure she may be doping, but at that level it's mostly recreational players surviving on family money. The raise in fuel prices will do more for her ranking than any dope will (as others have to stop playing)

Reactions: SHAD0W93

TRENDING THREADS