• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2016 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Common skid, can you somehow add Lopez to my team and move me to the 4th spot? :D

How about Janse, geez, I had that pfukr last year ...

How about my top dawg Dennis getting sick two days before the Paris-Nice where he was supposed to take the ITT ... hopefully more luck soon

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Squire said:
Pentacycle's performance is even more impressive when you consider the fact that they don't have the 264 Kittel points that almost everyone else have. However, for that reason I don't think Pentacycle can be a serious contender.
Agreed, especially since I have neither Dan Martin nor Teejay. I'm going to enjoy this week to the fullest :D And perhaps being the best Kittelless team is a decent goal for this year.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Pentacycle said:
Squire said:
Pentacycle's performance is even more impressive when you consider the fact that they don't have the 264 Kittel points that almost everyone else have. However, for that reason I don't think Pentacycle can be a serious contender.
Agreed, especially since I have neither Dan Martin nor Teejay. I'm going to enjoy this week to the fullest :D And perhaps being the best Kittelless team is a decent goal for this year.

I don't think Dan Martin or TJ are a true deal breaker ... unless TJ podium the Tour, which is again very unlikely as they will blindly sacrifice him for the (failed) benefit of TLMRP.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site

Jancouver said:
I don't think Dan Martin or TJ are a true deal breaker ... unless TJ podium the Tour, which is again very unlikely as they will blindly sacrifice him for the (failed) benefit of TLMRP.

Dan Martin I don't know, but I think you are mistaking about TJ. Two years ago he got almost 1200 points, then last year he seemed to have stepped up as far as his climbing is concerned but then DNF'd in the TDF and the Vuelta. If he gets high GC placings throughout the year and a top 10 in a GT, which he did 2 years ago, he will already come close to doubling his score. If he continues to climb at the level he showed last year, he will double his score quite easily imo and be a very important pick. You shouldn't underestimate how much points consistent 2nd rate GC riders with a good TT can pick up all throughout the year imo. :p

Well, it hasn't been the smoothest week for me. Demare won a stage and so has Gaviria, although they are quite popular, and Demare has since pulled out with injury (which hopefully won't affect future races).

I had hoped that of my less popular riders, Chavanel and Vichot would come up big at Paris-Nice. Instead, the stage that suited them both was cancelled, Vichot abandoned that stage, and the previous stage on dirt roads Chavanel got a puncture and lost 23 seconds. Not ideal. At least the Madone D'Utelle isn't too hard, which may benefit a punchy guy like Chavanel if he can stick with the main group, but he could just as easily come in 25th. Craddock's consistency is welcome, and I'd like to see what he can do tomorrow. Talansky, um, is not ready it seems.

Over at T-A, of course Tejay is well-positioned and should do well, but he's both expensive and popular. My rarer pick Formolo lost 2 minutes in the TTT and that certainly limits his possibilities. So far not a bad week as there isn't a fairly popular rider that I've missed who is racking up points or anything, but it's not the best either.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I was looking forward to next week's update with Nibali, Van Garderen and Formolo in my team.....

Basically tomorrow getting cancelled costs me like 300 points or more..... bloody hell....

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site

jaylew said:
TJVG could still win and seems almost a lock for top 3. He's a common pick, of course.

Yes, but to be honest, I was expecting Nibali to win tomorrow and to win the GC. That's 260 points for GC and 45 for the stage. In my opinion I would have had a very good chance of having 305 points for a rider picked only 18 times. In fact, snow would have only improved Nibali's chances....... :(

(Also, Formolo was looking okay earlier this year and actually quite good in the Pomarance stage; he might've been able to pick up a few points if he did well tomorrow, which would also be nice given that he is picked 33 times IIRC, but that's also not gonna happen now)

Paris-Nice
Contador 270
Jeannesson 60
Demare 50
Craddock 34
Rosa 5

Tirreno-Adriatico
Gaviria 53
Van Garderen 11
Phinney 11
Martin 8

Total 502

Most importantly, Contador looks in good shape. Currently he's exactly 100 points ahead of his 2015 score (356-256). In Catalunya he was only 4th last year, he could do better this year. Then he has to sort of compensate for the Giro and Route du Sud points in Pais Vasco and Dauphiné. Then he can hopefully do much better in the Tour, and if he rides the Vuelta too I should be set.

Well, this week was a bit of a bust; Craddock was a lone slightly bright spot in Paris-Nice (Demare's win aside). On the queen stage he was tantalizingly close to the front group before being the last one distanced, and was the best of the rest, leading in Rolland. This is where I thought he could get to this year, and if he can make that tiny difference to stay with the top guys, he'll be getting more than 34 points for 16th place. Even so, at 102 points cost, 34 points is something.

The cancellation of the T-A stage is probably annoying for many; I guess at least I don't have Nibali on my team. But Formolo, out of all my riders, would have benefitted the most from the stage, having lost so much time in the TTT. He's certainly not going to pull much higher than his current 53rd place in a flat TT. TJVG is still well-placed, but I don't have anyone on the flipside, who will benefit from the cancellation, like a Jungels, Kwiatkowski or Peraud. Oh well, on to the classics and Catalunya!

Tirreno
CAPECCHI Eros
VAN GARDEREN Tejay
PHINNEY Taylor
NERZ Dominik
LANGEVELD Sebastian
MARTIN Tony
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
ZURLO Federico
CANCELLARA Fabian
Tejay was 4th in GC before today but sadly he tumbled far down the rankings, so the best I can hope for now is points in the TT with Cancellara, Martin and maybe Phinney and Tejay.

Nokere Koerse
OFFREDO Yohan
MARTINEZ Yannick
I'm a bit worried about Meersman, I picked him for these kinds of races but he is MIA. If he isn't even on the startlist, how is he supposed to score points... :eek: Offredo is FDJ's leader I believe, so hopefully he will get a good result.

Handzame Classic
-

Milano - Sanremo
CAPECCHI Eros
LANGEVELD Sebastian
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
DEMARE Arnaud
VICHOT Arthur
CANCELLARA Fabian
Gaviria, Demare, Cancellara and Vichot have a decent chance of scoring points so fingers crossed.

Classic Loire Atlantique
VENTURINI Clément

Cholet - Pays De Loire
VENTURINI Clément
MARTINEZ Yannick
DASSONVILLE Flavien

Update #9: Ferminal flies while Pentacycle settles in on top

There are a variety of ways in which fans gauge whether the season has begun - for us CQ players, it might be the Aussie nationals, for others it might be the TDU, a case could be made for the start of the European season at the end of January with GP Marseillaise, or more likely 'Opening Weekend' of Omloop Het Nieuwsblad and KBK. But by the time Paris-Nice rolls around, there is no question that the season is on. Our leader in the standings has just reached 3000 points, which historically is somewhere between 12-20% of the final total for the season. So our season is also truly in full swing.

This Week's Top Scorers

Rank Team Points this week
1 Ferminal 647
2 ironted 615
3 Eric10 566
4 LaFlorecita 513
5 mc_mountain 512

Five teams had Paris-Nice winner Geraint Thomas; Seven teams had stage winner/4th place finisher Ilnur Zakarin; Ferminal and ironted have them both. There are a few differences on their team that settled the week - certainly the 50 points from Demare that Ferminal got and ironted didn't could have provided the crucial difference. Eric10 builds up points from Zakarin/Kelderman/S. Yates/Jeanneson, while Flo takes a different route with Contador (2 teams), a points source that will probably see her back in these rankings a few times this year.

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team Up/down
1 Eric10 (+54)
2 LaFlorecita (+40)
3 mc_mountain (+31)
4 ironted (+28)
5 LosBrolin (+25)

A very similar list to the previous one, with LosBrolin (6th in points) showing up here instead of Ferminal. mc_mountain, one of about 25 players who has been in every edition of this game, shows up on both these lists as well on the strength of Thomas and some smaller point picks.

Green Jersey

Rank Team Total
1 Pentacycle 90
2 ironted 80
3 Nicosix 72
4 karaev 70
5 comodoro 65

Pentacycle remains in top spot after the back-to-back weekly wins (he got a more down-to-earth 108th place this week, if you're wondering), but ironted rockets up the chart with 35 points for 2nd on top of the 45 their team earned for first place in week 5. The rest of the top 5 stays the same as last week.

Polka Dot Jersey

Rank Team Points
1 LosBrolin 42
2 ironted 39
3 the_fool_on_the_hill 33
4 LaFlorecita 32
4 Schleckamagurky 32

Some serious movement on this chart! LosBrolin was in 3rd last week with 30 points, but leaps up to the top spot with 12 points to make 42 total, just holding off the charge from ironted (14 points this week). LaFlorecita jumps into the top 5 this week as well, and gathers points for the third week this year so far. Perhaps having Contador on one's team will rocket you up the standings now and then.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (-) Pentacycle 3040
2 (-) StephenC2020 2963
3 (-) Nicosix 2953
4 (+17) Ferminal 2929
5 (+28) ironted 2795
6 (-2) skidmark 2781
7 (-2) karaev 2771
8 (-2) togo95 2741
9 (+5) the asian 2718
10 (-2) The_Instigator 2703

The big story is the big two teams of the week, as Ferminal and ironted vault into the upper echelons of the game. The podium stays the same as last week, and most other teams see modest movement after being displaced by the meteoric rise of the two stars of the week. the asian also jumps into the top 10, while Ruvu75, asdfgh101 and Shalgo tumble out. With Tirreno up for grabs in a flat TT and Milan-San Remo giving us our first Monumental points of the season (as well as being pretty wide open in terms of who can win), this week is bound to be interesting.

Spreadsheet at dropbox

Cheers Skidmark!

Getting tight in the SansGerrans league near the bottom. Simon Yates helped my cause this week with 7th in P-N, but Tirreno has been a disaster, unless Riechenbach somehow holds on to his 7th place after the ITT.

Good news for those of us with Stefan Kung. He's pencilled in for a comeback at DDV next week

My week:

Tirenno will be likely very little with TJVG losing time and Formolo far behind. Phinney/Canc/TMartin could conceivably top 3 the stage tomorrow, but otherwise I'm hooped.

Nokere Korese

Phil Bauhaus
Yannick Martinez
Eduard-Micheal Grosu
Matt Goss

This is HC now? Well well. If it comes down to a sprint (and, looking at the history of this race, there's a good chance it does), I'm happy with this lineup. Martinez and Goss have done nothing this year in several races, and Grosu and Bauhaus have done nothing in very few races where I didn't expect them to do anything. Both of them are fairly rare picks, and both could conceivably top 10 if it goes well for them. We shall see. Grosu should theoretically be the fastest Nippo there, although I suppose they could go for Colli.

Hanzame Classic

same minus Martinez.

MSR

Fernando Gaviria
Arnaud Demare
Sondre Holst Enger
Fabian Cancellara

Oof, a little thin there for the first monument of the year. Obviously Canc can podium as he has several times, Demare could top 5 or 10 but I'm not sure how serious his muscle injury was in P-N. Gaviria probably can't make it to the end, and Enger almost definitely can't.

Loire Atlantique and Pays de Loire

Guillaume Martin
Yannick Martinez (for the 2nd one)

G-Mart starts his season finally! About friggin' time. I don't know if I should really expect anything from these races. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it goes well.

All in all, doesn't look like the greatest week for me; hopefully a couple of things will break the right way for the few guys I do have.

Nokere Koerse
DE PLUS Laurens

Zero points will be most likely

Milano - Sanremo
LUTSENKO Alexey
DE MARCHI Alessandro
LANGEVELD Sebastian
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
DEMARE Arnaud
MEZGEC Luka

Gaviria as a joker, maybe Démare for his first MSR result if he is fit. The others have not much chance to score big time.

Classic Loire Atlantique
ROSON GARCIA Jaime
MARTIN Guillaume

Zero points

Cholet - Pays De Loire
MARTIN Guillaume

Zero points as well.

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
My squad for MSR:
Sagan
Demare
Gaviria
Mezgec
Lampaert
Vermote
Expect good amount of points from the first 3(possibly Mezgec too but he isn't in good form)
In other races don't have any good riders:Quentin Jauregui in Loire,Mark Cristian in Handzame,Bauhaus and Goss in Nokere

postmanhat said:
Cheers Skidmark!

Getting tight in the SansGerrans league near the bottom. Simon Yates helped my cause this week with 7th in P-N, but Tirreno has been a disaster, unless Riechenbach somehow holds on to his 7th place after the ITT.

Good news for those of us with Stefan Kung. He's pencilled in for a comeback at DDV next week

Finishes 4th overall! Have FDJ spent the entire winter TT training? He could move into profit based solely on TTT points at this rate

Nokere Koerse
Pedersen
Backaert
Le Gac
Goss
Kiersbulck

Handzame
Kiersbulck
Goss
&#128528

MSR
Ratto
De Marchi
Hirt
Clarke
Gaviria
Cancellara
Martinez
Battaglin

Carlton Kirby seems to expect big things of Simon Clarke here. Everyone's right occasionally

Handzame Classic
GOSS Matthew
GADAY Lucas

i hope for a miracle :)

Milano - Sanremo
LUTSENKO Alexey
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
DEMARE Arnaud
MEZGEC Luka
CANCELLARA Fabian
VANMARCKE Sep
BATTAGLIN Enrico
NERZ Dominik

Cancellara for a top 3 , Vanmarcke and Démare for a big surprise , Gaviria could do something good... The others have not much chance to score.

Classic Loire Atlantique
GADAY Lucas

Cholet - Pays De Loire
Gaday Lucas
POLS Ruben

Re:

jaylew said:
Leigh Howard looks to be rejuvenated this year. Either that or he just has more opportunity with IAM than he did with OGE. He's already more than doubled last year's points. Only 3 picked him, but alas, I'm not one of them.

Yeah, a stagnating rider moving to a stagnant team... and yet it works out. It would be like Matt Goss going to Cofidis and somehow getting results. That's good for Howard, who I have certainly picked in this game before and regretted it. I just don't understand IAM's calendar management, they don't seem to have a plan to develop any rider in a mindful way.

Separately (but I figure I'm posting anyway so I'll add this here), my rarest pick Grosu got his first real season points at Nokere Korese. 9th is actually disappointing considering he made the final, but I thought his chances of making the final were 50-50 anyway. Watching the sprint, he actually had the lead on the right side of the road, but I think the uphill and the cobbles did him in and it was too long a sprint. That's something that experience probably would change; or, since an unheralded CT rider won it and a 19 year old got 2nd, that's just the dice roll of sprinting, in which case if he keeps doing that it'll work out sooner or later. At any rate, if he's in the finale of Hanzame Classic (which seems to be a bunch sprint every year; Chicchi won it once even), he could definitely podium. Either way, he didn't have more than his current 33 points until July 1st last year, so he's doing fine.