• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2017 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
skidmark said:
Gougeard/Phinney/Ganna I can't see much from. This is Phinney's first race of the year, which strikes me as odd if he wants to be good for the classics. Oh well.

Phinney rode Volta ao Algarve, but without making a fuss.

Had a nice week like a lot of managers I guess, GVK, Kwia, Benoot, Carapaz, Küng, Bernal, Arredondo and at least a nice sidebonus for my rare pick Gilbert today.

Got nothing for the GC in France, but will have a lot of potential contenders in Tirreno. Counting on breaking the top50 barrier in the game at this weeks update :)

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Lousy week for me and literally nothing at P-N. My top guns are vacationing instead of racing :D

... but got a few cards to play at Tirreno:

GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
ARU Fabio
DENNIS Rohan
EWAN Caleb
LANDA MEANA Mikel
NAVARDAUSKAS Ramunas
VIVIANI Elia
KÜNG Stefan
VAN DEN BROECK Jurgen
PELUCCHI Matteo
ARREDONDO MORENO Julian David

Re:

Squire said:
Hey skidmark, I think you missed the green jersey competition in the last update.

Ha, I totally did! Got distracted by the monthly totals. What a silly slip-up. I just fixed it and it should be saved on the file.

There's actually a fair amount of movement this week, the top 3 overall all scored points this week:

Rank Team Total
1 ItalianGigolo 71.2
2 DJW 67
2 Trudgin 67
4 GP Blanco 61
4 LightBing 61

hmm, I have 6 riders at Paris-Nice, all finished 16 mins back yesterday, 4 of them also 21 mins back today and a fifth finished 14 mins back today :redface: :lol:
at least Degenkolb picked up a few points and maybe some of the others might go for stage wins...

last week was ok with the Benoot, Bernal, Carapaz combo that lots have whilst the previously mentioned non-unique pick Mraouni got a 4th overall and 50+ points at the Amissa Bongo and is now in profit.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
My riders
Paris-Nice
Contador
Degenkolb
Theuns
Cimolai
Breschel

Tirreno-Adriatico
Küng
Vendrame
Aru
Navardauskas
Ewan
Mamykin
Viviani
Ganna

König was down to ride but not anymore.. wonder what he is up to

Konig was on TV today ... commenting on politics. :cool:

Yeah, he is an adviser to a presidential candidate (left wing globalist), so he is too busy to race his bike :confused:

https://www.facebook.com/DVTV.cz/videos/1825513291031002/

Sorry, not sure what he said because just I can't handle his "Hollywood" style yapping and bunch of clinic questions.

Update #8: Upheval in the standings as LightBing takes over

Just like the unpredictable, exciting racing we saw this weekend at Strade Bianche and in the opening day of Paris-Nice, the overall standings of the CQ game got shredded this week, with a brand new overall podium, and 3 teams doing a double-digit leap into the top 10 overall. Up until this point rare picks have been driving the standings, but with sort-of popular riders like Kwiatkowski (62 teams), Van Keirsbulck (48 teams), Benoot (49 teams) and Carapaz (40 teams) scoring big this week, there were some clear differences between teams who gained and teams who suffered this week. Of course, to reach the top of the weekly standings, you have to gain an edge somewhere on top of these popular picks, like, say, a unique pick who scores big.

This Week's Top Scorers

Rank Team Points this week
1 shalgo 729
2 AlyKaptan 615
3 Kazistuta 597
4 fauniera 593
5 Maaaaaaaarten 568

This one wasn't even close. The only team to have breakout Langkawi star Ryan Gibbons was shalgo; that's a handy 176 points for a unique pick, almost as much as Kwiatkowski got for winning Strade Bianche (who shalgo also has). The other boxes are checked with Benoot, Van Keirsbulck and Carapaz, but then just for fun their team got 74 points from Mekseb Debesay (2 teams). Handy points, but shalgo would have won the week even without them. Second place AlyKaptan didn't have either of the Africans, but did have all the other above-mentioned riders plus Adam Yates, who also won in Italy. Third place Kazistuta had a similar makeup, but swap Yates for Egan Bernal and you've got it.

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team up/down
1 AlyKaptan (+48)
2 adamski101 (+39)
3 Popchu (+38)
4 Kazistuta (+37)
5 shalgo (+35)

Some solid moves up the chart this week. shalgo was too high up in the overall to move up much higher, so ends up 5th in this category and AlyKaptan wins the week. adamski101 and Popchu do better than their top 10 scores in the top scorer category and appear on the update this week.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Total
1 ItalianGigolo 71.2
2 Nicosix 67
2 DJW 67
2 Trudgin 67
5 the asian 61
5 LightBing 61
5 GP Blanco 61

Wow! The overall is very strangely tied in a number of ways. ItalianGigolo stays on top, but Nicosix gets 8 points for the week to make a three-way tie for 2nd place; the asian scores 16 points to move into a 3-way tie for 5th. It seemed like only yesterday teams were getting in the top 5 overall for winning a week, but this week's winner shalgo only makes it to 12th overall this week with the 45 points for the win.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (+3) LightBing 2360
2 (+7) HelgeBlendet 2300
3 (+7) Pentacycle 2291
4 (+12) tom_jelte 2276
5 (-) Total Package 2264
6 (-) Russell23 2255
7 (+10) Nicosix 2240
8 (-7) greenedge 2233
9 (+35) shalgo 2225
10 (-7) jeroenk 2221

As promised, mostly big moves! greenedge, who's led this thing since Obama was still president, finally has his hold broken on the top spot and tumbles down to 8th. LightBing has a quietly solid week, and is on top! HelgeBlended and former winner Pentacycle jump up to the podium. Pandemonium elsewhere, with Total Package and Russell23 staying put as a collective sea of calm in all the turmoil. tom_jelte, Nicosix and weekly winner shalgo just vault into the top 10, while Eyeballs Out, Squire, and lenissart fall out. But really, it's carnage everywhere - I count 69 teams - more than half the teams in the game - that either rose or fell 10 spots or more. Paris-Nice is the main draw this week, and with many of the GC points likely to be taken up by rare/non-picked riders, it might be a more subdued week; although Tirenno is starting, and if the last few days of racing have shown us anything, it's that anything can happen.

spreadsheet at dropbox

Thanks for the updtae Skidmark !

Up by a whopping 31 places to 18th. That's a handy position to be so early in the season as i was expecting a lot of points through stage races.

My only worries are that about 4 or 5 riders i have picked (most of them not very popular) seem to be set fpr domestique duties this year.

After a slow start, finally my first good week resulting in +38 move, which is quite a relief.

Paris-Nice
LUTSENKO Alexey
KRUIJSWIJK Steven
DEGENKOLB John

Kruijswijk should finish somewhere between place 11 and 20 in the GC, too bad he crashed in the first echelon stage to battle for a top 10. Lutsenko should hunt for a stage.

Tirreno-Adriatico
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
ARU Fabio
KWIATKOWSKI Michal
LANDA MEANA Mikel
GESINK Robert
SPILAK Simon
MOSER Moreno
VIVIANI Elia
KÜNG Stefan
BOOM Lars
MEZGEC Luka
BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley
GOUGEARD Alexis
PELUCCHI Matteo
ARREDONDO MORENO Julian David

Good line up. Gaviria for a stage win (or more). With Aru, Landa, Kwiatkowski, Gesink, Spilak and Bernal I have some cards to play in the GC, but I don't expect them in the top 5.

Perhaps I should frame this update--my brief moment of glory. I expected the weekly win, but didn't think that I would be able to move up all the way to the top ten.

Gibbons was a lucky pick; I never expected him to pick up a GC win. I am surprised, however, that Debesay wasn't picked by more than 2 teams. He was impressive in the Jebel Hafeet stage in Abu Dhabi last autumn.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow 13th now. :)

PN with all my climbers getting lost in the echelons and TA without Gaviria and Aru don't look pretty though. In TA I still have some rarer riders who might be able to compensate a bit. Hopefully I won't drop too far after PN/TA.

Re:

Squire said:
What's wrong with Matvey Mamykin? He's been autobusing every race day so far. He was supposed to be the new Zakarin, not the new Novikov, right?

At least Simon Yates has started to repay my faith in him.
I don't know if anything's wrong. He was abysmal at the beginning of last year as well but just got better and better all year: 86th in Catalunya, 31st in Suisse, 14th in Pologne, 8th in Burgos and from there on he was pretty much just awesome :D

Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Squire said:
What's wrong with Matvey Mamykin? He's been autobusing every race day so far. He was supposed to be the new Zakarin, not the new Novikov, right?

At least Simon Yates has started to repay my faith in him.
I don't know if anything's wrong. He was abysmal at the beginning of last year as well but just got better and better all year: 86th in Catalunya, 31st in Suisse, 14th in Pologne, 8th in Burgos and from there on he was pretty much just awesome :D
He's in the break today :D

Re:

lenissart said:
Another horrible week, with Aru, Landa, Ewan, Gaviria, Rolland, Impey, Benoot on the road for about .. 0 points !!!

Fact check: Landa scored one bloody point. My week was also not very good with as expected no Paris-Nice GC points. Tirreno is looking better with Roglic, Spilak and Bernal.