• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2017 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Up to 11th ! (Damn just missed out on the Top 10) , but the future is not looking good.

The Giro semas a lost cause with Aru & Konig injured and Landa, Dombrowski & Rolland all in poor form.

Boom,Machado, Moser & Taaramae seem to be washed up lost causes and unlikely to turn in to profit.

I'll have more of a chance in the Green Jersey competition though as the rarerity of Roglic means I'll do well as long as he keeps scoring !

This week hurt and I'm glad I only dropped 5 places to 19th. Basically, all my last minute rejects (Theuns, Moscon, Bernal, Roglic) performed well while Aru gets hurt and misses the Giro.

Looking forward to next week, though

Brabants Pijl
Dillier
Teuns
Benoot
Power
Kämna
Ciccone
Maronese
Van Keirsbulck

Smells like minor placings with slight hopes for Dillier, Teuns and Benoot?. Great to see Ciccone back on a bike, though.

GP de Denain
Vallee
Maronese

Vallee came 2nd in 2015 here. A repeat of that would be pretty, but I doubt it.

Finistère
nevermind....

AGR
Kwiatkowski
Oomen
Benoot
Teuns
Dillier
Boom
McCarthy
Van Keirsbulck
Ciccone
Maronese

That doesn't look too bad which means they'll all be working hard to ensure a bunch sprint for their captains will take place.... or something like that,

Re:

greenedge said:
I'm still holding out hope for Landa to ride a good Tour of the Alps, I actually think he'll go very well at the Giro (based on his T-A) performance. Moser now might get an opportunity to stage hunt with no Aru, which could boost his tally.

Landa might be forced to ride in the service of Geraint.

Finally things worked out, and now the floodgates will open :p.

I have a ridiculous number of zero pointers so far. Malori, Trofimov, Intsausti, Fedi, Albanese, Konig to name a few. Many others who have sort of disappointed and now Aru is injured and Theuns is having a back operation, which apparently is minor but still unfortunate.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Yay up in the top 10 again!

I've been leaning a lot on rare and so far succesful pick Roglic, but now in Pais Vasco I've deployed my second secret weapon this year, Louis Meintjes. :cool:

I would've thought Meintjes would be a more common pick. He's shown good results in week long races, one day races and GT's before, he DNF'd a bunch of stage races where he might have scored last year, he will be captain everywhere and he's still young enough to expect some growth. Seems like a good deal for 551 points.

This week, I really can't tell what's going to happen. Some unpredictable one day races. Even Amstel has managed to become unpredictable, at least for once because it's not clear how the new route will be raced. :D

Re:

HelgeBlendet said:
GP de Denain
Vallee
Maronese

Vallee came 2nd in 2015 here. A repeat of that would be pretty, but I doubt it.

So close... Nice to see him delivering some points finally. Was hoping for more from him in the early season, but after the GP Denain everything looks fine for him again.

Maaaaaaaarten said:
I would've thought Meintjes would be a more common pick. He's shown good results in week long races, one day races and GT's before, he DNF'd a bunch of stage races where he might have scored last year, he will be captain everywhere and he's still young enough to expect some growth. Seems like a good deal for 551 points.

He was on my longlist and in-and-out a lot of time, but in the end I felt Kwiatkowski, Degenkolb, and Benoot were the safer picks in that price-range and I couldn't quite shuffle my team around to include him. Plus, I had him in 2015, kinda felt he stagnated last year and feared a focus on the TdF with less 1-week races this year.

Re:

Squire said:
So, I was looking at this really great week, with lots of good points from rare riders.

Then along comes Kwiatkowski and gives everybody else 132 points and renders my scoring irrelevant...

Don't be such a crybavy; more than half of the teams don't have Kwiatkowski :p
Just count yourself lucky that you are not amongst the 20 teams that have all four of: Aru; König; Trofimov and Intxausti. Of course they still can all turn out good, but at this stage these fours seems like the poor picks from the popular riders (and I have all four of course :sad: )!

fauniera said:
I have those four as well. :p

Doesn't matter anyway, the winner will have Gilbert AND Kwiatkowski in his/her team. I guess that's pretty obvious by now.

Me too....but also Gilbert and Kwiatkowski...

Seems to me Trofimov is the weirdest case. There's absolutely no news regarding him, and I got the silent treatment on their facebook page when I wrote them.

Update #14: Gilbert strikes Gold yet again

Well, we said it two weeks ago after De Panne and Flanders - the six teams with Philippe Gilbert are really dominating the standings. While not exactly on the level of two weeks ago - 34 teams had as much or more than Gilbert's 231 points this week, as opposed to only the 6 teams who had him that week - it's still a standings dominated by a single rider.

This Week's Top Scorers

Rank Team Points this week
1 Roubaix 514
2 Kazistuta 499
3 Jpettersen 488
4 Googolplex 422
5 Shawnm4747 409

If one had to guess, I'm sure one would have guessed that this week's winner would have Gilbert and Kwiatkowski, and indeed that's the case. In fact, team Roubaix wins their first week this year with not much more than that - 96 points from Benoot is notable, and some contributing points in the 20s from Gaudu and de Plus, but beyond that it's 5 finishing points for Dylan Teuns, and that's it! Points from 6 riders wins the week. A top heavy week, to be sure. Kazistuta comes very close (and now has a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th place in various weeks this year) with the same 3 top riders, and Campenaerts getting 30 points (+ finishing points from Teuns and Betancur!) Jpettersen has pretty much the same, those big 3 and Gaudu's 24 and Oomen's 5 finishing points. Not the most varied week at the top, but I'm sure they're not complaining.

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team up/down
1 LosBrolin (+14)
2 Roubaix (+13)
2 Armchair cyclist (+13)
4 Crevaison (+12)
5 Vesica (+11)
5 LukasCPH (+11)

Well, well - I guess since Gilbert-picking teams have already had a wealth of good weeks and have moved to the top of the overall standings, they didn't have much farther to go, which makes these two lists more different than usual. LosBrolin grabs a moment of glory on the strength of high-scoring unique pick Nacer Bouhanni, backed up by Benoot and a few scorers in the 10-30 range that have already been mentioned. Roubaix is the only team on both lists this week, and is tied for 2nd with Armchair Cyclist, who gets there on the back of Kwiat and Benoot, and also some decent points from Silvan Dillier amongst others.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Total
1 Kazistuta 127
2 Kryvo 110
3 Googolplex 109
4 the asian 108
5 DJW 102

We have a new leader, and in fact, a new top 3! Previous leader the asian falls to 4th, while Kazistuta's above-mentioned consistency leads to the overall lead. Other Gilbert-holders Kryvo and Googolplex score again this week to move into the overall podium of the Green Jersey.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (-) Googolplex 5136
2 (+1) Kazistuta 4873
3 (+2) Kryvo 4766
4 (-) tom_jelte 4604
5 (-3) jeroenk 4548
6 (+10) Jpettersen 4536
7 (+13) Roubaix 4532
8 (-1) Nicosix 4490
9 (+3) fauniera 4487
10 (+7) Shawnm4747 4452

Some dramatic movement in the lower half of the top 10, but some relative stasis at the top. Googoloplex's team maintains their decent overall lead. Gilbert-holders now occupy spots 1, 2, 3, 6, 7 and 10. tom_jelte and jeroenk are the best of the Gilbertless. The subsequent news of Gilbert's injury and withdrawal from the Ardennes will undoubtedly have an impact on the week, so we will see how that shifts the balance. Jpettersen, Roubaix, fauniera and Shawnm4747 jump into the top 10, while Maaaaaarten, 18-Valve, GP Blanco and Blues in the Bottle fall out.

Spreadsheet at dropbox

ps. this is my last update before heading into a remote camp for three months of work (where I will have internet, but not consistently enough to keep doing this). Thanks to snccdcno/murrjt who is going to be handling the last update for April and all of May. If anyone is interested in doing updates for June or July, please respond here or PM me. I'll still pop by the thread but not much - good luck all!

Tour of the Alps should be pretty good for me since, with Pozzo, Landa and Rolland I have three riders in the top 6 of the gc. And of these riders only Landa is a very popular pick. Unfortunately for me, Dylan Teuns was picked by quite a few people, and Zoidl really disappointed in Croatia after he won the queen stage there last year. Now I'm hoping for lots points from Kwiat in LBL. Besides him I don't really have a favorite for the race in my team.

Well, LOL Nibali. This is what I signed up for with this guy - the most thoroughly unconvincing GC win possible. On both MTF finishes I was like "OMG he's done for", not being able to drop guys like Durasek and Roson (both of whom I like, but come on, he's about to take on Quintana & co.) And yet, his guile, attentiveness, opportunism and a bit of luck gets him first place points, and you don't get any extra points for a convincing win. I'm hoping he will continue to improve in the Giro, but I fully expect the whole affair to be on the knife's edge of doubt.

Anyway, not a bad week. Kwiatkowski with a good finish in Liege, Landa with the best result of the season in the Alps, and some minor points here and there. Kwiat and Landa are both popular but with them and Nibali I should be good.

I'm off to the wilderness for awhile, still looking for volunteers for June and July to do updates. I'll check in when I have internet every 5 days or so, take care all!

snccdcno

BANNED
Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Update 15: Geraint Too Fast is victorious

With a number of races going on there were a lot of points available and the winning total this week was always going to be fairly sizable on top of that it also provided plenty of movement in and out of the top 10 and elsewhere.

Weekly High Scorers

Rank Team Points
1 Geraint Too Fast 746
2 Falze 705
3 Wallenquist 634
4 Gigs_98 623
5 Roubaix 610

Geraint Too Fast is this weeks highest scorer they achieve that mainly thanks to four riders, Pinot who finished 2nd and picked up a stage win in the Tour of the Alps and in the same race the man who finished just behind him in Pozzovivo, the other two were podium finishers in this weeks Ardennes races, Teuns and Kwiatkowski.

Falze in second has three of those four but in place of Pinot they had Landa and Rolland who performed well in Italy. Finishing off the podium is last years youth game winner Wallenquist who in aside to some already mentioned had points from Nibali's GC win in Croatia and Gaudu's impressive showing in Fleche.

Weekly High Movers

Rank Team Up/Down
1 Geraint Too Fast +24
2 Wallenquist +22
2 Falze +22
4 Gigs_98 +17
4 ThePirate81 +17

A similar look to the top five highest scorers, ThePirate81 wasn't in top 20 for the week but still managed to jump up 17 places, compared to the other four they went a slightly different route with points from Woods and Yates in the Ardennes, Ruffoni's two stage wins in Croatia as well as some others.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Points
1 Kazistuta 127
1 the asian 127
3 Kryvo 110
4 Googolplex 109
5 DJW 102

the asian's top ten finish on the week means they are tied at the top alongside Kazistuta, because of that Kryvo and Googolplex move down one, whilst DJW is unmoved. Just below them good scores from Roubaix and 18-Valve. (pithy) mean they have entered the top ten.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/Down Team Points
1 (-) Googolplex 5523
2 (-) Kazistuta 5381
3 (+4) Roubaix 5142
4 (-) tom_jelte 5079
5 (+1) Jpettersen 4974
6 (+3) fauniera 4968
7 (+7) 18-Valve. (pithy) 4964
8 (+4) HelgeBlendet 4952
9 (+4) Maaaaaaaarten 4936
10 (-7) Kryvo 4905

The top two are unchanged although Kazistuta has closed the gap on Googolplex who has been in the lead for the last five weeks and Roubaix rounds off the podium. Elsewhere in the top ten after dropping out last week 18-Valve. (pithy) re-enters largely thanks to their unique and expensive pick Valverde who scored 500 of their 585 points and is already at 77% of last years total! The other new entrants this update are HelgeBlendet and Maaaaaaaarten, whilst Kryvo just about hangs on in tenth despite dropping seven places.

The spreadsheet can be viewed/downloaded here

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Oh nice! Back into the top 10, didn't expect that to be honest. I thought other people would have some high scorers in the Ardennes, but apparently I did quite alright! :)

I've got high hopes for coming week with Romandie as well.

Tour de Romandie
CARAPAZ Richard
POWER Robert
VIVIANI Elia
KÄMNA Lennard
ROGLIČ Primož
MAMYKIN Matvey
FRANK Mathias
MEINTJES Louis

Tour de Yorkshire
EWAN Caleb
FRAILE Omar

Back into the Top10 with the important part of the cycling season over is a good "final" result for me. Yeah, there are a lot of races left, some might even deem important or prestigious, but I've never been one for those climb-y tours. Even more so when my hopes rest on an indisposed Aru, a helping Landa and surprise packages of Gesink, Dombo, Cink, Buchmann, Arredondo, Ciccone, Power, and Mamykin. There are even rumors of a cyclist called König, but that sounds like something from the past. They might score points, maybe even big points, but I don't feel as confident as with my classic part of the team. Then again... there are actually more of them on my team than I first realised. Everything might not be lost, yet...

Anyway, There I've got quite a bunch riding around Romandie:
Carapaz
Küng
Viviani
Power
Herklotz
Buchmann
Kämna
Boeckmanns
Mamykin
Gesink
Cink

55 points if everyone finishes. Some more for jerseys and minor placings would be nice. Could be a fun team to follow or a frustrating anonymous one. We'll see..

TRENDING THREADS