• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2019 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

del1962 said:
Just

GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
KITTEL Marcel
CAVENDISH Mark
MCLAY Daniel

plus

SWIFT Ben
BETTIOL Alberto
FELLINE Fabio

who aren't really sprinters

Yeah, some have almost half their teams filled with sprinters, it seems like. It could be a good strategy this year. You just have to avoid most of the duds, unless they're on so many teams (Kittel, Cav) that it hardly matters.

Well after a disappointing January bad news keep coming for my team.
Bernal losing so much time in the Nationals TT worries me, unless he crashed (which would probably worry me even more).
Plus Senni was hit by a car while training and will be out two months.

A little disappointed about the result in Herald Sun Tour, although Lucas Hamilton was great he still dropped from 4th to 7th on GC because they let a group ride away and another young Aussie that I considered for a very long time, Nick Schultz, is now second. But I guess I cannot complain because Hamilton is miles ahead of his score at this point last year. I just hope he gets more opportunities to show himself as he seems to have made some big steps this winter.

Re:

SafeBet said:
Well after a disappointing January bad news keep coming for my team.
Bernal losing so much time in the Nationals TT worries me, unless he crashed (which would probably worry me even more).
Plus Senni was hit by a car while training and will be out two months.
Same here. I had hoped Senni would be an underrated pick - but this looks really bad. Hope he recovers.

Porte is becoming a bit of a liability for my team, if this is the best he can do. His 2nd place at the TDU was expected, but he only got 2nd because of another rider's misfortune. Doesn't seem to have quite the same level as last year. And now he disappoints in an Australian 2.1 race with no big dogs other than Woods. Doesn't seem to be in TDU shape anymore, either

Though I suppose I could have guessed that Van Baarle would step up when he changed trainers.. :lol:

Anyway, I was under the impression that Porte was supposed to race the Australian championships also... so, while I didn't expect a number of career-best performances, his likely Australian points haul is not quite what I expected.

Very happy with Nick Schultz at the Herald Sun Tour. Maybe after this he'll be close to his points for all of last season. That would be nice.

Today at Mallorca Valverde got his first podium of the season. 3 races 3 top 10's including a podium. Nice start to his season.

Unfortunately Landa got hurt, but the good news is the injury is only a partial fracture to the collarbone and not a full break.

Okay, not a bad week, although not a memorable one exactly. I got stage wins from Gaviria x2, McLay, and Halvorsen, and promising-but-not-world-breaking GC results from Sivakov and Evenepoel. Mallorca was mostly a non-starter, of course Kittel won but he's the most popular rider in the game (but also all the top placers were fairly unpopular or un-picked). More promising is what the early wins could do for a sprinter's confidence for all those guys mentioned above. Tom Van Asbroeck won the bunch sprint for 3rd in Marseille too so that is also a good sign. Cav was fairly invisible but it's a long season, and guys who I didn't pick that could be threats like Porte and Bernal got fewer points than I might expect. So all in all, I'm relatively satisfied.

Re:

OK week for me. Not spectacular. Most disappointing was two riders that were on my shortlist, Schultz and Turgis, scoring significant points. But on the plus side, I had several of my rare picks score points, Venturini, Hamilton, Barguil. I can't be too unhappy.

San Juan
Mattia Cattaneo 9
Remco Evenepoel 35
Fernando Gaviria 52

Herald Sun Tour
Lucas Hamilton 45
Robert Stannard 3
Kristoffer Halvorsen 37
Luke Rowe 10

Mallorca Challenge
Marcel Kittel 80
Ilnur Zakarin 5
Fabio Aru 26
Warren Barguil 32

GP La Marseillaise
Clement Venturini 24

This week:
Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana
Esteban Chaves
Harry Tanfield
Ivan Cortina
Nacer Bouhanni
Alexandr Riabushenko

Etoile de Bessèges
Clement Venturini
Fabio Felline
Edward Theuns

Not expecting many points

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
A little disappointed about the result in Herald Sun Tour, although Lucas Hamilton was great he still dropped from 4th to 7th on GC because they let a group ride away and another young Aussie that I considered for a very long time, Nick Schultz, is now second. But I guess I cannot complain because Hamilton is miles ahead of his score at this point last year. I just hope he gets more opportunities to show himself as he seems to have made some big steps this winter.
You should be really happy with hamilton! After watching him, I do believe there is more success outside of Australia for him. I feel like a lot of us miss out on a good contributor this year. Well done.

RIABUSHENKO Alexandr
TRENTIN Matteo
CHAVES Esteban
VLASOV Aleksandr
ANTUNES Amaro

Hope Trentin can take some points on the 2nd stage, if that stage is not race too hard or that a break takes it, and the last stage. Interesting to see how Chavez does, but since many have him I have some faith that Antunes might be able to get a top 10 on GC. He was 10th last year. Vlasov and Riabushenko I dont expect too much from but surprises are welcome.

Etoile de Bessèges
Sadly no one

Fun week with lots of racing but i have to agree, Bernal and Porte didn't get as much as I had hoped. Puts even more pressure on their grand tours for me.

CHAVES RUBIO Jhoan Esteban
INTXAUSTI ELORRIAGA Beñat
NIBALI Vincenzo
TRENTIN Matteo

some solid chances here but Chavez is what? 4th or 5th on the team this week?

Etoile de Bessèges
FELLINE Fabio
HOFLAND Moreno
THEUNS Edward

Again, not bad options. Really hoping Fabio shows me something as one of my higher risk picks.

I have Trentin, Chaves and Óscar Rodríguez in Valencia and Felline and Celano in Besseges.

Felline didn't look good in Mallorca, otherwise I would expect that he could podium the GC.

By the way, it doesn't look as though Intxausti is ready yet. Euskadi will participate in both races but he will not be in either, and even though he was on the long list for Mallorca, he didn't race any of the races there. In interviews during the winter he seemed to have put the illness behind him.

Valencia:

Valverde
Valls
Roelandts
Lobato
Swift
Sutherland

Étoile de Bessèges

Warbasse
Mathis
Owen
Coquard

Obviously expect good points from Valverde and then hope the rest of my team can get some points. Hopefully my two sprinters (Coquard and Lobato) can get some points. No idea what to expect from the rest of my two teams. On the hand I have higher hopes for both teams than I had for Vuelta San Juan.

TRENDING THREADS