• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2019 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 54 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
My weekend is really ramping up as well with the double van der Poel/Trentin situation, and one-day victories for both Bauhaus AND Küng today. Now, Cosnefroy would be welcome to go a little bit better in Montréal than in Québec but I hardly have much to complain about (other than not having Pogacar).

My weekend is really ramping up as well with the double van der Poel/Trentin situation, and one-day victories for both Bauhaus AND Küng today. Now, Cosnefroy would be welcome to go a little bit better in Montréal than in Québec but I hardly have much to complain about (other than not having Pogacar).
Well between those 3 riders it is pretty much the difference between us right now. Think you have a good chance of passing me this update

Well at least I should get some decent points from Kuss and Powless on their around 30th place finishes in the overall standings at la Vuelta. Plus a handful of riders who finished so points for finishing. A handful of points among several riders in the two Canadian races along with points from several riders in Britain. Plus Alejandro's stage points and 2nd place overall at la Vuelta. So hopefully this leads to a halfway decent week for my team.

I think Pogacar is the first to break the magic 1000+ points this season? Congrats to those who chose him. The fact he'd gone to UAE was enough to dissuade me, but even they couldn't hold him back

I know MVDP is only a couple of hundred away, and Evenepoel the same. Any others close?

I think Pogacar is the first to break the magic 1000+ points this season? Congrats to those who chose him. The fact he'd gone to UAE was enough to dissuade me, but even they couldn't hold him back

I know MVDP is only a couple of hundred away, and Evenepoel the same. Any others close?

Roglic also broke it yesterday.

And Fuglsang is fairly close (but more than 200 points short, so not as close as Remco and MvdP).

Update #35: Green Jersey Standings Change in Quiet Week

This week (technically last week as this update is a week late), the second week of the Vuelta wrapped, as well as a few 1.HC and 1.1 races. Not much in terms of points, and the standings were appropriately subdued. Still some movement to look at...

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1Nathanptz328
2zaka_fan277
3DFA123253
4greenedge252
5Joelsim251

Nathanptz takes the win by over 50 points this week, getting a huge contribution from Jasper Philipsen, the other costly UAE neo-pro bringing back a good haul on a fairly steep price. Having those 156 points and sharing with only 9 other teams is a good start to winning the week, but Nathanptz also had 72 from Amaury Capiot (3 teams) as well as 43 and 42 respectively from Matteo Trentin and Baptiste Planckaert. zaka fan claims second with 140 points from the now unequivocally excellent pick Caleb Ewan, as well as 70 from Sepp Kuss and 54 from Pierre Barbier. DFA123 edges out two other teams for the last podium spot led by Ewan/Trentin/Planckaert.

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1greenedge(+8)
2zaka_fan(+7)
3Nathanptz(+6)
3Joelsim(+6)
5Josedin(+5)
5Googolplex(+5)

After missing the podium by 1 point in the previous competition, greenedge tops the high mover competition once again led by Ewan. zaka fan is the second time a bridesmaid, while Nathanptz gets another podium, tying with Joelsim for third.

Green Jersey Competition

(note: I'm going to start listing all the teams within a 45-point weekly win of the lead, rather than the top 5, until the end of the season)

After being divested of the Green Jersey last week, armchairclimber fights back with 14 points in the competition this week to move back into the lead from third. tobydawq gets 10 points to rise to juuuuust outside of these standings at 178 points, but no other movement in the top 10.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)fauniera12518
2(-)karaev12287
3(+1)Tigerion11788
4(-1)ruvu7511725
5(-)skidmark11568
6(+1)TheArt11565
7(+3)tobydawq11527
8(+1)shalgo11487
9(-1)Kryvo11470
10(-4)SafeBet11462

A quiet week for the leaders, although fauniera (80 points) gains a few on karaev (42). Highest scorer in the top 10 is tobydawq with 213 on the week. No adds or drops in the top 10, but that is very likely to change with the next update, where the Vuelta GC plus Canadian WT races plus Tour of Britain are bound to see some high scores.

spreadsheet at dropbox

Update #36: Jakob747 Takes off as Tigerion Cracks the Top 2

It's Vuelta GC week, likely the highest scoring week left on the calendar (barring some SERIOUS scores at the Worlds). But the Vuelta wasn't all, there was also the two Canadian races, the Tour of Britain, and a few smaller races scattered here and there.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1Jakob7471023
2Josedin1008
3Hakkie21001
4Simurgh978
5will10952

Three teams crack a thousand points this week, and are very close together. Squeaking out the victory is Jakob747, getting 1023 points from an array of riders led by CQ efficiency god Mathieu van der Poel (274 points, 20 teams), excellent rare pick Sergio Higuita (174, 2 teams), unique-pick-that-is-underperforming-overall-but-paying-off-now Michael Valgren (103), another tier of riders scoring 50-80 on the week (Riabushenko, O'Connor, Chaves, Cosnefroy) and dribs and drabs from 12 other riders to push their team over the line. Josedin nabs second, missing top spot by only 15 points with a more top-heavy lineup that has an astounding collection of rare Vuelta talent - Josedin was one of 7 teams with Pogacar and his 445 points this week, one of 2 teams with CF Hagen and his 172 points, and the only team with MA Lopez and his 259 points. Josedin's 4th highest scorer is Bettiol with 40 points and a few guys with <20. Hakkie2 cracks the thousand mark as well as the podium, thanks to >100 points from MvdP/Geoghegan Hart/Cavagna/Ivan Garcia Cortina.

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1Josedin(+17)
2will10(+16)
3comodoro(+13)
4Simurgh(+11)
5Riverside(+10)
5PeterB(+10)

This will very likely be the highest jumps remaining in the competition this year... Josedin goes one better on this one, leaping 17 spots into the top 40 overall. will10 comes close, leaping up 16 spots on a Pogacar/MvdP led ticket, and comodoro leaps double digits as well thanks to Pogacar/Trentin.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1armchairclimber225
2ruvu75218
3TheArt212
4Popchu208
5tobydawq196
6skidmark188
7MADRAZO185
8Jancouver183
9Kryvo179
10fauniera178

I mentioned last week that I was going to list all the teams within 45 points of the lead from now on, but the 9th and 10th place teams are 46 and 47 points out, so heck, I'm just gonna list the top 10. The only scoring in the top 10 this week has tobydawq leaping into the top 5 with 18 points on the week, and Kryvo's 2 points for 14th on the week gets them juuuust about in spitting distance down in 9th.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)fauniera13126
2(+1)Tigerion12705
3(-1)karaev12631
4(+3)tobydawq12451
5(-)skidmark12359
6(+6)Hakkie212347
7(-3)ruvu7512309
8(+1)Kryvo12297
9(+1)SafeBet12256
10(-4)TheArt12029

The untouchable top 2 are no more! Tigerion breaks into the top 2 that had been in a holding pattern between fauniera and karaev for several weeks - that's what scoring 917 points to karev's 344 will do. fauniera, however, scored over 600 and is sitting pretty on top by more than 400 points, and chances are looking good for them to become a two-time winner of this game. karaev still has a couple of hundred points over the next tier of teams, but tobydawq, skidmark and Hakkie2 scored around 900, 800, and 1000 points respectively on the week to dramatically cut into the lead for the podium. Despite the big GC points on offer for the week, Hakkie2 is the only newcomer to the top 10, while shalgo tumbles out.

Up next - Worlds domination!

spreadsheet at dropbox

Thanks for the update.

Terrible for my chances that Edward Theuns won the Primus Classic. He is one of the most popular picks that I don't have on my team. Also unfortunate that van der Poel didn't get a result but I have a feeling he might remedy that next Sunday.

Küng is looking good and if he could get a podium in the World's TT, that would be really nice for my chances.

Close but no cigar for me in this update. 6th for the week and 11th overall now, moving up from 15th. But I gotta say that I'm pretty ecstatic that my team is doing so well. I said in the beginning of the season that I didn't expect much because I took a different approach than I usually have, but my crop of youngsters are doing me proud (Haig, De Plus, Sivakov, Knox, Halvorsen, Garcia Cortina, Hamilton, Hindley and Vingegaard have all performed excellently), and at the same time some of the popular riders that I chose to left out haven't performed (Aru, Cavendish, Kittel, Zakarin, Chaves, Bouhanni, Meintjes, Felline spring to mind). Of course there are some disappointments in my team as well (what has Kanter been doing this year?) and if only Moscon had performed, things would be looking quite good - but of course we all have these regrets.

Thanks for the updates skidmark.

Tigerion is getting closer and just scored another 140 points with Theuns. I hope to limit the damage with Pöstlberger and Rivera, who is third in gc of the Tour of China II (the race with four stages and two rest days).

The general plan is to keep Tigerion (and tobydawg and skidmark) at a distance with Bernal, who apparently looked very good on Monte Serra, and to keep karaev away with van der Poel. We'll see if the riders will concur with my plans.

Should i win this, it would be despite missing the best pick, Pogi. When i won in 2017 i also missed the best pick (Teuns). So maybe that brings me luck.

Thanks of the updates, Skidmark.

Well thanks to la Vuelta I've gotten inside the top 100. I have had some very nice returns from two/three of my rare/unique picks. Nicholas Schultz has been a huge standout this season for me. When he basically matched last year's points at the very start of the season I knew he was a great pick for this season.

50 Pick riders and how they have done, so Evenepoel and Bettiol bring in over1500 points, after that Gaudu is good and Swift, Nibali and Vakoc have decent returns, the rest are pretty meh, (Theuns has scored more points than this though so joins the decent return group)

Rider2018 Results2019 ResultsProfitPopularity
KITTEL Marcel296186-11099
ARU Fabio400194-20696
BETTIOL Alberto5076171192
CHAVES RUBIO Jhoan Esteban2632953290
NIBALI Vincenzo693100230987
EVENEPOEL Remco080280289
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando602569-3383
MEINTJES Louis14167-7479
CAVENDISH Mark12525-10080
VAKOC Petr012112174
ZAKARIN Ilnur473473069
BOOM Lars37976067
FELLINE Fabio257199-5863
THEUNS Edward1912556461
GAUDU David29966036157
SWIFT Ben7225918754
BOUHANNI Nacer441276-16551

Reactions: Koronin
Thanks for the updates skidmark.

Tigerion is getting closer and just scored another 140 points with Theuns. I hope to limit the damage with Pöstlberger and Rivera, who is third in gc of the Tour of China II (the race with four stages and two rest days).

The general plan is to keep Tigerion (and tobydawg and skidmark) at a distance with Bernal, who apparently looked very good on Monte Serra, and to keep karaev away with van der Poel. We'll see if the riders will concur with my plans.

Should i win this, it would be despite missing the best pick, Pogi. When i won in 2017 i also missed the best pick (Teuns). So maybe that brings me luck.
Certainly going to be a massive ask to pull back 400 points, will need every bit of luck
The points for Thuens certainly helps, Trentin keeps delivering with another 80 points and also managed a few sneaky points in the mixed relay.
Probably going to take something like a Trentin, Garcia, Ewan podium for me to be able to take it

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS