• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2019 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 55 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Küng only finishing 10th as well as Theuns' strong fall form and Bernal's likely points haul in the Italian fall classics probably end my hopes of winning this competition.

Should we get an MvdP-Trentin-Cosnefroy podium on Sunday, I might still be in with a chance but miracles have to happen now.

I blame Søren Kragh and his back issues.

Küng only finishing 10th as well as Theuns' strong fall form and Bernal's likely points haul in the Italian fall classics probably end my hopes of winning this competition.

Should we get an MvdP-Trentin-Cosnefroy podium on Sunday, I might still be in with a chance but miracles have to happen now.

I blame Søren Kragh and his back issues.
Sorry but it has already been decided that it will be a Trentin, Garcia, Ewan podium on Sunday. Also just for your barracking information Fauniera also has MVP so we need the top spot going to somebody else like Trentin

Update #37: Simurgh rises to a boil

In the week between the Vuelta and the Worlds, we saw a smattering of 1.1 races, a 2.1 and 1.HC here and there, and the new-look mixed TTT which gave a few CQ points as well. Who came out on top in this transition week?

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1Simurgh546
2HelgeBlendet498
3Leadbelly493
4laarsland483
5Amis_Velo476

Still some tidy points to be had from that mix of races, and Simurgh emerges on top as the only team scoring over 500 points. The way is led by the popular Edward Theuns, who finally had a good week and scored 156 points. Simurgh also had help from some rare riders: 112 from Jasper De Buyst (6 teams), 95 from Kung (14 teams), 56 from Nizzolo (10 teams) and 48 from Diego Rosa (6 teams). HelgeBlendet gets second and oh-so-close to 500 points with Theuns leading the way, flanked by 86 points from Kevin Rivera and 80 from Matteo Trentin. Leadbelly lands in third with more of a committee - amazingly, their team has two unique picks (Krists Neilandts and Jannik Steimle) win a 1.1 race in the same week, and aside from 'popular' picks Trentin and Bernal (31 and 26 teams respectively), other contributions come from 30+ points from a range of rare picks like Calmejane, Politt, Minali, and Cimolai. Good picking!

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1HelgeBlendet(+12)
2laarsland(+9)
3ansimi(+7)
3Amis_Velo(+7)
5Simurgh(+6)
5Manafana(+6)
5trackstand(+6)
5oliveira(+6)

HelgeBlendet is the only team to move up double digits this week, but laarsland comes close, moving up 9 spots thanks to Theuns/Rivera/Trentin. ansimi and Amis_velo tie for the final podium spot here with the same topline riders of Theuns and Trentin.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1armchairclimber225
2ruvu75218
3TheArt212
4Popchu208
5tobydawq196
6MADRAZO189
7skidmark188
8Jancouver183
9Kryvo179
10fauniera178
11laarsland177

The only movement in the top 10 is that MADRAZO leapfrogs skidmark with 4 points for 14th place; laarsland gets within shouting distance with 26 points on the week, and the competition is pretty tight, as anyone in the top 11 could get on the podium with a weekly win.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)fauniera13379
2(-)Tigerion13004
3(-)karaev12913
4(+2)Hakkie212681
5(-1)tobydawq12655
5(-)skidmark12655
7(-)ruvu7512648
8(+1)SafeBet12590
9(-1)Kryvo12522
10(-)TheArt12394

Some minor jockeying amongst the leaders; Tigerion gains 46 points on fauniera, so a Worlds win for one of Tigerion's riders that fauniera doesn't have will flip positions, all other things held equal. Karaev gains a few dozen points too but is still a ways behind. 4th through 8th is separated by less than 100 points, including a tie at 5th place, so there's still a lot to be sorted out. This week has the biggest 1-day points on offer, and although the Italian classics will probably see a bigger week, this is where an individual result can really flip things. Excited to see how it goes!

spreadsheet at dropbox

Update #37: Simurgh rises to a boil

In the week between the Vuelta and the Worlds, we saw a smattering of 1.1 races, a 2.1 and 1.HC here and there, and the new-look mixed TTT which gave a few CQ points as well. Who came out on top in this transition week?

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1Simurgh546
2HelgeBlendet498
3Leadbelly493
4laarsland483
5Amis_Velo476

Still some tidy points to be had from that mix of races, and Simurgh emerges on top as the only team scoring over 500 points. The way is led by the popular Edward Theuns, who finally had a good week and scored 156 points. Simurgh also had help from some rare riders: 112 from Jasper De Buyst (6 teams), 95 from Kung (14 teams), 56 from Nizzolo (10 teams) and 48 from Diego Rosa (6 teams). HelgeBlendet gets second and oh-so-close to 500 points with Theuns leading the way, flanked by 86 points from Kevin Rivera and 80 from Matteo Trentin. Leadbelly lands in third with more of a committee - amazingly, their team has two unique picks (Krists Neilandts and Jannik Steimle) win a 1.1 race in the same week, and aside from 'popular' picks Trentin and Bernal (31 and 26 teams respectively), other contributions come from 30+ points from a range of rare picks like Calmejane, Politt, Minali, and Cimolai. Good picking!

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1HelgeBlendet(+12)
2laarsland(+9)
3ansimi(+7)
3Amis_Velo(+7)
5Simurgh(+6)
5Manafana(+6)
5trackstand(+6)
5oliveira(+6)

HelgeBlendet is the only team to move up double digits this week, but laarsland comes close, moving up 9 spots thanks to Theuns/Rivera/Trentin. ansimi and Amis_velo tie for the final podium spot here with the same topline riders of Theuns and Trentin.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1armchairclimber225
2ruvu75218
3TheArt212
4Popchu208
5tobydawq196
6MADRAZO189
7skidmark188
8Jancouver183
9Kryvo179
10fauniera178
11laarsland177

The only movement in the top 10 is that MADRAZO leapfrogs skidmark with 4 points for 14th place; laarsland gets within shouting distance with 26 points on the week, and the competition is pretty tight, as anyone in the top 11 could get on the podium with a weekly win.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)fauniera13379
2(-)Tigerion13004
3(-)karaev12913
4(+2)Hakkie212681
5(-1)tobydawq12655
5(-)skidmark12655
7(-)ruvu7512648
8(+1)SafeBet12590
9(-1)Kryvo12522
10(-)TheArt12394

Some minor jockeying amongst the leaders; Tigerion gains 46 points on fauniera, so a Worlds win for one of Tigerion's riders that fauniera doesn't have will flip positions, all other things held equal. Karaev gains a few dozen points too but is still a ways behind. 4th through 8th is separated by less than 100 points, including a tie at 5th place, so there's still a lot to be sorted out. This week has the biggest 1-day points on offer, and although the Italian classics will probably see a bigger week, this is where an individual result can really flip things. Excited to see how it goes!

spreadsheet at dropbox

Thanks for the update. I think I have spotted a mistake. Gaviria has been given 3 points for last week, but he did not race last week and his score on CQ is 3 less than on the update.

Lol, not a bad day for me to combine Trentin and Küng! :eek:

I can live with Pedersen beating them, though, what with him being the first Danish world champion and all that.

It even looked like I could have three guys in the top 4 until MvdP exploded.

I had 7 riders finishing with those three, Bettiol, Vakoc, Cosnefroy and Chaves. In fact, I think I only had two non-finishers in Padun and Remco. Quite impressive for a bloodbath like today's.

I had high hopes for this WC but none of my riders performed. I guess I'll need Bernal to smash the italian fall classics to stay in the Top10 till the end.

What caught my eye is the amount of riders in my longlist for next year who went from absolute locks to "well you aren't as cheap as I thought" kinda picks in one day.

Reactions: Koronin
Update #38: Tigerion tightens things up at the top

Well the Worlds' Road Race is done and dusted; we have some end-of-season 1-day races, a Monument, and a Chinese epilogue to go before the close of the season, but this was the biggest remaining race on the calendar (and the biggest 1-day CQ points race out there). With some dramatic weather-induced turns of events, let's see how it all shook out and who came out on top.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1ansimi724
2tobydawq703
3NorthAmericanScum701
4rote_laterne685
5LosBrolin606

ansimi wins the week with a healthy 724 points; some of this was due to being one of the 31 teams with Trentin and his 240 points, but the other big scorers were from the TT - Remco got 150 more to become the best 0 pointer in this game since a memorable rider in the first year of the game whose results were later nullified, and Ganna got 130 points for third in the TT (11 teams owned him). tobydawq has another good week thanks to Trentin and Evenepoel, although their top scorer on the week was actually Stefan Kung (258 points, 14 teams), who got a top 10 in both the RR and TT. NorthAmericanScum is the third team to cross 700 on the week, sans Evenepoel but with the other 3 mentioned above. Special mention to rote_laterne, just out of the podium spots but the only player of the game who had the World Champion Mads Pedersen and his 400 points this week.

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1NorthAmericanScum(+11)
2LosBrolin(+10)
3Amis_Velo(+9)
3Nathanptz(+9)
3GP Blanco(+9)
3Blues in the bottle(+9)

The standings are a bit more stratified at the end of the season, but 700-ish points is still enough to jump (just barely) double digits at this point of the season, as NorthAmericanScum manages to do. LosBrolin shows up on the podium of this ranking thanks to the Trentin/Remco combo but also Walscheid, who got 80 non-Worlds points. A four way tie for third rounds out the podium.

This Month's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this Month
1NorthAmericanScum2103
2tobydawq2044
3Joelsim2043
4ansimi1958
5Simurgh1942
5Tigerion1942

September is the last big CQ month of the year, and NorthAmericanScum tops this monthly ranking as well as the last weekly ranking for high movers. Their team is one of 3 to clear 2000 points on the month, and their list of scoring riders is impressive and top loaded: Trentin (537, 31 teams), Kung (433, 14), van der Poel (296, 20), Theuns (206, 61), Ganna (162, 11) are the ones over 100 points. tobydawq has shown up in a few recent weekly updates and puts together a solid month as well, thanks to the top 3 listed above plus 160 for Remco. Joelsim nabs the final podium spot with over 2000 as well.

This Month's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1comodoro(+25)
2Nathanptz(+22)
2NorthAmericanScum(+22)
4Joelsim(+19)
4HelgeBlendet(+19)

This competition is taken by comodoro, who leaps a full 25 spots this month, thanks to two huge scorers, Trentin and Pogacar (who had 559 points and was owned by 7 teams). NorthAmericanScum makes it appearances on all 4 charts this week, jumping 22 spots on the month to tie with Nathanptz.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1tobydawq231
2armchairclimber225
3ruvu75218
4TheArt212
5Popchu208
6ansimi194
7MADRAZO189
8skidmark188

There's a change at the top! tobydawq has scored in 4 of the last 6 weeks, including a win 6 weeks ago and second this week. 108 of their 231 points have come in this span, and they've rocketed up the standings, taking a 6 point lead with the 35 they got this week. armchairclimber drops to second but is still in striking distance, as are all the teams listed here (within 45 points). Aside from tobydawq, weekly winner ansimi is the only other team scoring this week; their 45 points rockets them into the conversation as well. Still a lot to play for in this competition.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)fauniera13593
2(-)Tigerion13534
3(+2)tobydawq13358
4(-1)karaev13120
4(+3)ruvu7513120
6(-1)skidmark12932
7(-3)Hakkie212928
8(+2)TheArt12906
9(-1)SafeBet12852
10(-1)Kryvo12795

The top spot is closer than it's been in weeks! Tigerion has a good-but-not-quite-good-enough showing this weekend, pulling to within 60 points of the overall lead. If Trentin had the legs for the sprint, we would see a new leader! The red-hot tobydawq pulls into third and is only a couple of hundred back. Behind that, it's a bit tougher of an ask for karaev or last year's winner, but with the sequence of Italian races often contested by the same riders, it's not out of the question for someone to go on a streak. fauniera, of course, has Bernal, who hasn't really raced since the Tour but if he has some form could anchor a strong defense. The next couple of weeks will be very interesting to those at the top, to say the least! No ins or outs of the top 10 this week, just some jockeying for position.

spreadsheet at dropbox

Time to start checking the startlist of Tour of Hainan
I really need Bernal to have been partying since his tour win, gorging himself and putting on around 10 kg

Haha, me too!! I hoped he had learned how to celebrate by G but sadly, it doesn't seem like that.

Another important thing for me if I am to stand a chance is that Reichenbach needs to have saved his best form for this last part of the season and be better than Gaudu.

Finally, I fully expect my left-field wild card pick Carlos Julián Quintero to save the day in the Tour of Hainan as he has changed to a Chinese team after the folding of Manzana Postobón. He didn't participate in the Tours of China I and II, though, so that's a bit ominous.

Oh, and Küng has to continue his fall form as well.

Haha, me too!! I hoped he had learned how to celebrate by G but sadly, it doesn't seem like that.

Another important thing for me if I am to stand a chance is that Reichenbach needs to have saved his best form for this last part of the season and be better than Gaudu.

Finally, I fully expect my left-field wild card pick Carlos Julián Quintero to save the day in the Tour of Hainan as he has changed to a Chinese team after the folding of Manzana Postobón. He didn't participate in the Tours of China I and II, though, so that's a bit ominous.

Oh, and Küng has to continue his fall form as well.
I'm not really seeing a strong path forward for my team and even with Bernal out not sure where the extra points will come from. I need somthing like Barguil to find some form or Masnada to repeat his tour of Hainan victory. Ed Theuns is on decent form so hopefully he can post a good result

It looks like I still have a small chance of finishing in the top ten. Hodeg's win today certainly helps. Looking forward, I probably need Bernal to get some good results in the Italian races, and perhaps Van der Hoorn can find some of the end-of-season brilliance he had last year?

I think Gaudu will kill me next week :(

Planckaert getting second today was not something I enjoyed watching either.

Cosnefroy not winning Vendée and only getting fourth was suboptimal.

I'm glad that van der Poel has two more races but it won't help me against Tigerion and fauniera as they also have him.

Hopefully, Küng can win Paris-Tours. The gravel is still there, and his form is excellent. We only need rain and it's a foregone conclusion. He and Cosnefroy seem to be my best weapons in the fight for the win.

I also think Reichenbach has chances of scoring a not insignificant amount of points if he chooses to participate in Milano-Torino (5th last year) and Gran Piemonte where I expect the line-up to be the least stellar of the (Italian) week because doing the Oropa two days before Lombardia might be a bit much. It would be nice if he goes for that while Gaudu saves himself for Lombardia and fails there ;)

And then we have the Grand Tour of Guangxi finale the week after. Maybe it's time for Phil Bauhaus and Matteo Moschetti to finally justify my picking them.

Planckaert getting second today was not something I enjoyed watching either.

Me neither, but for a different reason. Planckaert should have won this race. He fiddled with his shoe a few hundred meters before the line which Claeys used to escape. That wasn't very smart. But at least the form is there and i can hope for more points in the next few days.

[...] Milano-Torino and Gran Piemonte where I expect the line-up to be the least stellar of the (Italian) week because doing the Oropa two days before Lombardia might be a bit much.

Funnily enough the organisers of Gran Piemonte are sure that Bernal will ride this race, while pcs doesn't even list Ineos. And the race is in four days. Hopefully the organisers are right and Bernal scores me some nice points.

And then we have the Grand Tour of Guangxi finale the week after. Maybe it's time for Phil Bauhaus and Matteo Moschetti to finally justify my picking them.

I'm afraid Trentin will score a lot of points in Guangxi. He might even go for the gc, as the climb there isn't so hard and he is in brilliant shape.

TRENDING THREADS