• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2020 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I should score pretty well this week with Evenepoel, McNulty, Gaviria, Soler, Kämna, Dainese and Groves (edit: Bouhanni too, I missed him scoring points in the first Mallorca race).

I'm a bit annoyed that I couldn't find space for Fernandez on my team and considering his start it might end up costing me a lot of points. I had Moschetti last year and he just wasn't very good so I didn't really consider him this year. If I had followed his season more carefully and found out that he was slowed down by two big crashes I might have given him an extra year to prove himself. That's on me and weirdly now, I'm rooting even more for him to suceed. Hopefully he perform well all year and it's not an Andrew Fenn 2012 season where he scores half his points in Mallorca.

And here I was, thinking Bol, Philipsen or Halvorsen would make the jump to (near) top sprinter status alongside Hodeg, Démare, Kristoff and others right after Ewan, Viviani, Bennett, Ackermann, Gaviria, Groenewegen and (maybe already this year) Jakobsen.

Seems like Moschetti might achieve that (as well, after Philipsen improved further in this year's TDU) this year, beating Ackermann twice in a row now. Let's wait and see.

Hmm, Cosnefroy started out with a win. I don't like his absence from my team. I think he might have a serious breakthrough year and become a real star. 1500 points should be achievable. But he was just a bit too expensive.

Madouas was second. Another one I was very close to picking. Hirschi better be better than him!

Reactions: LaFlorecita
Hmm, Cosnefroy started out with a win. I don't like his absence from my team. I think he might have a serious breakthrough year and become a real star. 1500 points should be achievable. But he was just a bit too expensive.

Madouas was second. Another one I was very close to picking. Hirschi better be better than him!
Hmmm. I had De Bie and Tanfield going. Last and 5th to last. So I am all set for a last place overall finish. Hats off to Moschetti and Ruben pickers, along with those who had the balls to take Remco. Unstoppable i would say.

Perfect start to the season for the poster boy of my team, Sergio Higuita. 100 points secured along with the national title after a magnificent solo effort (at least it became so after Sosa had crashed out of his company), destroying the rest of the field.

He's my most expensive pick and one of the least popular, so my season is highly dependent on his results.

Let's hope this is not a peak but a sign that he is the true heir of Valverde (with willingness to ride solo as an added bonus).

Perfect start to the season for the poster boy of my team, Sergio Higuita. 100 points secured along with the national title after a magnificent solo effort (at least it became so after Sosa had crashed out of his company), destroying the rest of the field.

He's my most expensive pick and one of the least popular, so my season is highly dependent on his results.

Let's hope this is not a peak but a sign that he is the true heir of Valverde (with willingness to ride solo as an added bonus).

Higuita should be a good pick for you. With his comments last year, he wants to be like Valverde. It appears he's going to try. As you said the question is going to be is he peaking early like other have done or is going to be able to have a larger career. Even if he does have a longer career, I'll never expect anyone to be racing into their 40's.

Higuita should be a good pick for you. With his comments last year, he wants to be like Valverde. It appears he's going to try. As you said the question is going to be is he peaking early like other have done or is going to be able to have a larger career. Even if he does have a longer career, I'll never expect anyone to be racing into their 40's.

That wasn't what I meant at all.

I was wondering whether, like last year, he will be able to keep a very high level in all the races of his season, or if he peaks early for the Colombian races.

I was wondering whether, like last year, he will be able to keep a very high level in all the races of his season, or if he peaks early for the Colombian races.

He was good early last year in Mallorca too. But this a new season and anything could happen. He seems to have a pretty solid level in all his races.

Great rider. He should be a very good pick if he doesnt lose form or crashes/injuries occur.

Yesterday during the transmission of the Colombian U23 nationals - Mauricio Ardila mentioned that Sergio Higuita has been staying 3 weeks at his lodge in Santa Elena (La Casa Del Ciclista) - and was reported in very, very good shape. It showed today!

Higuita was training with Daniel Arroyave for example and Arroyave won the U23 title, so it must have been effective training i guess.

Last edited:

Oh, sorry. Good question. Although he is young and still very early in his career. Even Valverde had a year transition when he turned pro and when he first went to the WT. So maybe Higuita just needs a little time to adjust.

Slightly paining to see Madouas off to a good start as he was one of the last to go from my team. Especially as his replacement, Valgren, didn't feature.

Very quiet start overall for me. Fernandez has been the only real highlight, at least in terms of looking like he won't be a wasted pick.

He's at Valencia along with Moscon, Kwiat, Strakhov, Osorio, Soler, and Gallopin.

Saudi Arabia - Vanendert, Chernetski, Bouhanni

Etoile = Simmons, Latour, Valgren, De Bie, Van Poppel

Herald Sun tour - Yates

Quite a few of my rarer picks in action, so hoping for some positive indications!

Well you could knock me down with a feather. Two wins in one day! (If only because of international date line wonkiness). Devenyns in Australia and Higuita in Colombia! I've scored points! (Actually, could somebody tell me what post number in this thread contains the link to the spreadsheet or whatever where we can check points and rosters and stuff, please and thanks?)

Edit: THREE! THREE! I've got Matteo Moschetti, too!

Last edited:
Evenepoel, Gaviria, Soler, Dainese, Moschetti, Kamna, McCarthy, Fernandez.
A good week that could've been even better if Sosa had not crashed.
Yeah, shame about Sosa. And shameful of INEOS that they have failed to give an update on his injuries.

Apparently he's out of Tour Colombia 2.1 if this report is correct:

View: https://twitter.com/RedMasNoticias/status/1224096727822671873

Fractured a finger in his left hand, apparently.

Last week was okay. I think a few had a lot better weeks, but at least a few of my riders are off the mark . Soler winning and Ruben Fernandez looking pretty good at his new team. Yates, Bouhanni, Touze, Pedersen, Kämna picking up points. So there was some positives.

This week.

Saudi Arabia:
GARCÍA Jhojan
BOUHANNI Nacer

Not expecting much, but any points are welcome.

Edit: Missed Bouhanni. Should be good here.

Valenciana:
SAMITIER Sergio
SOLER Marc
DUMOULIN Tom
FOSS Tobias
STANNARD Robert
FERNÁNDEZ Rubén

Dumoulin and Soler should be high on GC I hope. The others Im happy if they can get anything. Since they are a bit more rarer picks, than Soler and Dumoulin.

Etoile de Bessèges:
TOUZÉ Damien
LATOUR Pierre
CORT Magnus
VALGREN Michael
SIMMONS Quinn

Im optimistic about the line-up. Should be some points. Would be very sad to not get anything in return here.

Herald Sun:
YATES Simon

It is not the end of the world if he doesnt get anything... since a lot of people have him, but points are always welcome and he should be winning this race.

Langkawi:
CEPEDA Jefferson Alexander

Unfortunate in his last race with a crash, when 3rd on GC in Vuelta Al Tachira. If recovered, I hope he can do something good here.

Last edited:
It was a 'keeping up with the rest' week for me too. Pretty good, but the Evenepoel guys will steal the show.

Let's have a look at this week.

Saudi Arabia:
CHERNETSKI Sergei
BOUHANNI Nacer

I have a good option if the hills prove decisive and a good one if they don't.

Valenciana:
SOLER Marc
KWIATKOWSKI Michał
MOSCON Gianni
DUMOULIN Tom
FERNÁNDEZ Rubén

Bit worried that the MTF is too tough for Kwiat to make a good result, but he often starts strong.

Etoile de Bessèges:
LATOUR Pierre
MOSCHETTI Matteo
VICHOT Arthur
WARLOP Jordi
ROSA Diego
DE BIE Sean
VAN POPPEL Danny

With the new MTF Latour should win this. Rosa hopefully up there too.

Herald Sun:
POWER Robert
KANTER Max
YATES Simon

Will be disappointed if I don't have two guys in the top 4.

Langkawi:
MEINTJES Louis
CEPEDA Jefferson Alexander

This should also be good, as the much tougher Genting highlands climb is back. Expect Minali to be added to the lineup as well.

TRENDING THREADS