• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2020 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
My three-piece engine is working perfectly. Evenepoel and Pogacar have already reached the podium of the CQ Ranking of 2020 and Bernal will make another demonstration in Paris-Nice -if it is run-. My young team - its average age is 22 years - is taking some time to catch up with the competition and we are waiting for Riabushenko, Bjerg, Steimle and O'Connor especially to do so.

Thanks for the update skidmark. I’m really happy to lead again after eight years. I don’t know if I’ll be able to hold off Hakkie and Jakob for very long but hopefully I can stay on top more than a week this time. It’s the first time I’ve finish as a monthly high scorer as well.

Thanks for the update skidmark. I’m really happy to lead again after eight years. I don’t know if I’ll be able to hold off Hakkie and Jakob for very long but hopefully I can stay on top more than a week this time. It’s the first time I’ve finish as a monthly high scorer as well.

Well, if there are no races for the next few weeks, you might have a prolonged run at the top... ;)

I would just like it to be known that my riders were going to do exceptionally well in the cancelled Italian races, raking in well over a thousand points and catapulting me up the rankings. I trust this will be borne in mind come November, when I'm languishing in lower mid division.

Imagine there being no Classics, Giro, Tour or Vuelta this season. (Classics and Giro seem to be in possible danger going by the situation right now.) Teams will be insane next season and point records will be smashed.

Imagine there being no Classics, Giro, Tour or Vuelta this season. (Classics and Giro seem to be in possible danger going by the situation right now.) Teams will be insane next season and point records will be smashed.
Also imagine a new virus every year and we are all screwed. I hate to complain when people are suffering and dying, but it appears that pro cycling is my only real interest. I am at a loss as to how i should entertain myself. An dyes, next years teams will be all over th eplace. It might make for an interesting to twist.

Update #9: Subdued Week Sees Geraint Too Fast Break into top 10

Even before the fears swirling around coronavirus saw races start to be cancelled, this week was always going to be a transitionary one in the CQ game, after Opening Weekend but before Paris-Nice. Still, with the cancellation of Strade Bianche and GP Industria last weekend, the points this week were from 1.1 Le Samyn, 1.1 GP Monsere, 2.1 Tour of Taiwan, the first stage of Paris-Nice, and a few 1.2 and 2.2 races. As a result, only one team broke triple digit points on the week, but a win's a win!

This Week's Top Scorers

Geraint Too Fast has a good week from unique picks in Taiwan - 145 points from winner Nicholas White, and 18 from Robbie Hucker (the other 2 points came from Alan Banaszek getting second on a stage in Greece). ChrisDK almost breaks 100, also with unique picks in Florian Senechal (56 points) and Clement Venturini (36). Eric10 manages to rise above the fray of 5 other teams that got 80 points from Jakobsen by also getting 6 from Davide Ballerini.

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1Eric10(+12)
2GP Blanco(+11)
2ChrisDK(+11)
4Geraint Too Fast(+10)
4Blues in the bottle(+10)

A slightly different table here, with Eric10 moving the most. ChrisDK gets another podium, tying with GP Blanco with an 11 point leap.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1Jakob747140
2Hakkie2116
3EvansIsTheBest112
4ChrisDK79
5Eric1076

Jakob747 gets 8 more points in this competition to extend the gap to second place. ChrisDK and Eric10 use good finishes this week (35 and 30 points respectively) to break the top 5.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)2436
2(-)Hakkie22369
3(-)Jakob7472344
4(-)Squire2072
5(-)western_grebe2031
6(-)HelgeBlendet1944
7(-)Object1923
8(-)18-Valve. (pithy)1910
9(-)sodak_za1883
10(-)Mayomaniac1875
10(+10)Geraint Too Fast1875

Well, not much movement. And, in fact, not many points - Jakob747 had 53 points, 18-Valve had 8, and Mayomaniac had 6, while the rest of the top 10 were held scoreless. Save, of course, from GTF, whose win on the week brings their team into a tie for 10th overall.

This week - well, Paris-Nice is going to finish either on the weekend or before, and.... is Drenthe going ahead? Are any races? We shall see.

spreadsheet at dropbox

Governments can do as in football and other indoor sports. That is, allow races to be made without crowds of the public. In cycling you will not feel so much the lack of public as in football and other indoor sports.

Søren Kragh, why did you have to let up completely in the finale after such a terrific ride? :(

Oh well, at least Higuita will give me a good week* after a horrible start to this game.

And I predict that I will be tied for the win in the next many, many weeks, so that's something.

*Unless Vaughters decides to pull the team and the race somehow limps on with only a handful of teams.

Maybe a bit premature, but I think for next years game the scores from both 2019 and 2020 should be used. As in the highest point total in either of those years is the value of the rider.
Fx will Biniam Girmay Hailu get his 2020 score of 174, if there's no more races this year, where most other riders get their 2019 value.
If not, it'll devalue the game.

Reactions: will-10
I think it is premature for that discussion, but since it was brought up here is what I think.

If they start racing again in the summer and come fall, close to normal, then those will be the scores going into next year I hope. We could see very different teams. Because no matter who you pick they will still have to perform and there is no way you could fit everyone you would want into a team. There will be a lot of difficult choices to make. You will still have to pick and choose wisely. We could see different tactics etc.

If there is minimal racing throughout the rest of the season, and only a few races actually takes place, then a compromise could be taking the 2019+2020 scores and divide it by 2 or something to get a score for riders to pick from.

Update #10: The End of Act I

As Paris-Nice improbably lurched towards it's truncated end, the outlook for cycling fans was as bleak as the early-week weather on the race. Tirenno-Adriatico had already been turfed, as well as Strade Bianche and Milan-San Remo, and in between the first and final stage of Paris-Nice, pretty much everything else for the forseeable future was up in the air as a global pandemic spread with unprecedented speed. The impact on the CQ game, although certainly low on the priority list for all of us right now, was a bit skewed with no other races, and with 7 WT teams pulling out before the start and 2 more before the end. It was hard to try to savor it and appreciate the racing, but some teams in this game still appreciated the points they got this week. So, here we go, the last update until there is some racing again...

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1christopherrowe610
2Leadbelly515
3search509
4tobydawq472
5ThePirate81421

A clear victory this week for christopherrowe, as their team is the only one in the game who has a very impressive looking Tiesj Benoot. Benoot's 341 points this week will leave questions of what could have been this classics season, but what's on the ledger already is pretty darn good. Throw in 213 points for Sergio Higuita (4 teams) and that's already enough for the weekly win, with handsful (handfuls?) of points from Asgreen, Paret-Paintre, and Arndt to round it out. Leadbelly cracks 500 points for second place entirely on the points of two riders - 375 from winner Max Schachmann (2 teams) and 140 from Thibaut Pinot (60 teams). search rounds out the podium with 509 as the other Schachmann owner, but swaps out Pinot for Soren Kragh (119 points, 43 teams).

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1christopherrowe(+48)
2Leadbelly(+39)
3search(+35)
4tobydawq(+32)
5Sestriere(+26)
5ThePirate81(+26)

Exactly the same table and order here, save for Sestriere, who is tied with ThePirate81 for 5th (their team is 6 points behind in 6th in the other rankings).

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1Jakob747154
2Hakkie2116
3EvansIsTheBest113
4Leadbelly80
5ChrisDK79

Jakob747's team extends their lead in this competition this week, scoring 14 points in the rankings to nab points in the Green Jersey competition (reminder - points go to the top 15 weekly scorers) for an impressive 6th out of 10 weeks so far. 2nd and 3rd stand pat (EvansIsTheBest gets 1 point for a multiple-way tie for 14th on the week), but Leadbelly's second on the week nabs 35 points to leap to 4th.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)2733
2(+1)Jakob7472686
3(-1)Hakkie22407
4(-)Squire2250
5(+2)Object2218
6(-1)western_grebe2186
7(+7)skidmark2094
8(+14)LaFlorecita2073
9(-1)18-Valve. (pithy)2065
10(-1)sodak_za2061

Both leader EvansIsTheBest and 2nd place Jakob747 were in the top 15 this week, and so they consolidate their lead over the rest of the field. Hakkie2 had a healthy buffer a few weeks ago and so a bad week (99th on the week) only slides to third, while there's a good cluster of teams a few hundred points behind. Teams skidmark and LaFlorecita leap into the top 10 overall, while GeraintTooFast and Mayomaniac slide out.

This leaderboard may be preserved in amber for some time! I will certainly be posting in this thread and would be interested in talking about various riders on our teams or other things to pass the time, but with no racing on the horizon and a still-scary level of uncertainty as to how far things are going to spread and how our daily lives will be impacted, this is likely the last update for awhile. Take care out there!

spreadsheet at dropbox

Reactions: LaFlorecita
Maybe a bit premature, but I think for next years game the scores from both 2019 and 2020 should be used. As in the highest point total in either of those years is the value of the rider.
Fx will Biniam Girmay Hailu get his 2020 score of 174, if there's no more races this year, where most other riders get their 2019 value.

Yeah, hard to argue with this as things stand.

So everyone was on a PED ban from 1-4 January?

TRENDING THREADS