• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2021 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 10, 2021
Visit site
2 stages of besseges and 2 times the winner in my team with Laporte and Dupont. Hope that it continuous like this for the rest of the season

Here is also my whole team. I am a little bit Belgian biased and have 11 of them in my team. I think that my weirdest selected riders are Zakarin, Mareczko and Halvorsen, but I just hope that they will win again now they ride on a lower level.

MATTHEWS Michael
BENOOT Tiesj
KRISTOFF Alexander
VAN AVERMAET Greg
STUYVEN Jasper
BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley
WELLENS Tim
LUTSENKO Alexey
TEUNS Dylan
TRENTIN Matteo
BARDET Romain
COLBRELLI Sonny
NAESEN Oliver
ZAKARIN Ilnur
BUCHMANN Emanuel
JUNGELS Bob
LAPORTE Christophe
BOASSON HAGEN Edvald
CALMEJANE Lilian
MARECZKO Jakub
DUPONT Timothy
POLITT Nils
SARREAU Marc
VANMARCKE Sep
HALVORSEN Kristoffer
PIDCOCK Thomas
KRUIJSWIJK Steven
LATOUR Pierre
JANSEN Amund Grøndahl
FROOME Chris
VANSEVENANT Mauri
DE PLUS Laurens
HERMANS Quinten

Reactions: postmanhat
Jan 20, 2021
Visit site
So I will run a reveal. It's my first time entry so I'm sure I made mistakes
As you can see I aimed mostly towards youth with some Belgian exceptions (my heritage talking) and I think Yates will be the right Yates this year)

YATES Adam
BENOOT Tiesj
HIGUITA GARCIA Sergio Andres
STUYVEN Jasper
GAUDU David
BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley
KUSS Sepp
WELLENS Tim
MADOUAS Valentin
CAVAGNA Rémi
SIVAKOV Pavel
HAYTER Ethan
LEKNESSUND Andreas
BOL Cees
BUCHMANN Emanuel
OOMEN Sam
DAINESE Alberto
MÄDER Gino
GROVES Kaden
HODEG CHAGUI Alvaro Jose
BRUNEL Alexys
CALMEJANE Lilian
BJERG Mikkel
FOSS Tobias Svendsen
DOULL Owain
JACOBS Johan
ARENSMAN Thymen
PADUN Mark
PIDCOCK Thomas
RUBIO REYES Einer Augusto
VAN WILDER Ilan
DE PLUS Laurens
MALUCELLI Matteo

Reactions: postmanhat
Nice work for Wellens today - who needs the Spanish races in February when you've got French races? One of the 3-4 riders I had the hardest time leaving off my team, and already showing to be an unwise move. Oh well, great race!

Ed Theuns in second place is a unique pick to Otoxiep87; the 5 teams with Jake Stewart must be fairly stoked, and the 18 teams with Gilbert must be happy that he's showing that he's in shape already (I left him off only because of his uncertainty as to whether/when he'd get into form). Must be a few teams wondering how good some of their guys are at TTs, as the minor placings look up for grabs for a couple of dozen riders, but a lot of guys in there who I'm certainly not sure how they stack up in a TT against each other.

So great to have racing back.

Laporte has started in ridiculously good form. It's a real shame they're not taking him to Provence next week, where he's won stages before, but with so few races, I suppose they have to give everyone a run out.

Difficult to see Wellens losing the lead tomorrow with such a short time trial in the final stage. Increasingly chuffed he's only been picked by 18 teams. Apologies for the smugness. I usually have very mediocre starts to the season. But with these two and Dupont this week, I'm already dreaming of glory :)

Reactions: Jakob747
Jan 8, 2021
Visit site
I have not really followed cycling for the last couple years and it shows. Missed a bunch of top picks and have many uniqueish ones.

whats da problem with these guys?:D

POELS Wout
KEUKELEIRE Jens
RODRIGUEZ GARAICOECHEA Oscar
POZZOVIVO Domenico
RIES Michel
PRADES REVERTER Eduard
DENNIS Rohan
NORSGAARD JØRGENSEN Mathias
JORGENSON Matteo
URAN URAN Rigoberto
ZAKARIN Ilnur

1st and 3rd on GC plus 3 stage wins between Wellens, Politt, Laporte and Dupont. Not a bad start to the year.

My team this year:

ALAPHILIPPE Julian
SAGAN Peter
YATES Adam
HIGUITA GARCIA Sergio Andres
BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley
WELLENS Tim
TRENTIN Matteo
SIVAKOV Pavel
BARDET Romain
COLBRELLI Sonny
NAESEN Oliver
MOLLEMA Bauke
BUCHMANN Emanuel
DAINESE Alberto
JUNGELS Bob
LAPORTE Christophe
DUPONT Timothy
POLITT Nils
VANMARCKE Sep
MOSCON Gianni
SOSA CUERVO Ivan Ramiro
ARENSMAN Thymen
ARNDT Nikias
KRUIJSWIJK Steven
PIDCOCK Thomas
LATOUR Pierre
JANSEN Amund Grøndahl
FROOME Chris
PÖSTLBERGER Lukas
VAN WILDER Ilan
LAWLESS Christopher
DE PLUS Laurens
BRENNER Marco

No unique riders, closest I have are Arndt (2 picks) and Postlberger (3). Less popular riders who could be important to my finishing position include A.Yates (on 13 teams), Wellens (18) Colbrelli (18) Dainese (19) and Dupont (13) as well as Alaphilippe (27).

Alaphilippe was a late replacement for Evenepoel/Dumoulin. I was surprised how many people stuck with Remco, but if his recovery goes well from here he could still be a great pick. I'll just have to hope Alaphilippe scores 2000+ again.

I have not really followed cycling for the last couple years and it shows. Missed a bunch of top picks and have many uniqueish ones.

whats da problem with these guys?:D

POELS Wout
KEUKELEIRE Jens
RODRIGUEZ GARAICOECHEA Oscar
POZZOVIVO Domenico
RIES Michel
PRADES REVERTER Eduard
DENNIS Rohan
NORSGAARD JØRGENSEN Mathias
JORGENSON Matteo
URAN URAN Rigoberto
ZAKARIN Ilnur

People picking in different directions.

I have a lot of belief in Matteo Jorgenson. He did well in the one day races he was in last year and was on Movistar's short list for la Vuelta. As a first year rider (first "full" year at WT and first year with Movistar) he was one of the bright spots on the team.

Update #2: Etoile de Besseges sees a three-star constellation atop the standings

Racing is underway, whee! It's not the multi-country, overlapping-stage-race gallop of the regular early season, but it has provided us with the unique experience of having normally overlooked races chock full of top-level talent and a sharpened focus for cycling fans. This week, there was the Etoile de Besseges 2.1 stage race in France, as well as the normal season-opener of the Aussie National Championships (although the top scoring riders there were not among the more popular picks).

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1Hugo Koblet334
1Boris98334
1Hakkie2334
4Gigs_98317
5Armchair cyclist314

Interestingly, after a single day's racing last week produced a single winner at the top with a unique pick winning Marseillaise, this week's 5 days of racing produces a 3-way tie at the top, with 3 teams having the exact same combo of 6 scoring riders! And not even all of them are super popular picks. Great minds think alike, it seems. Of course the belle of the ball this week was winner Tim Wellens (145 points, 18 teams), who was a must have. But the whole podium also had Nils Politt (66 points, 65 teams), Christophe Laporte (51 points, 32 teams), Greg Van Avermaet (46 points, 33 teams), Timothy Dupont (20 points, 13 teams) and Pierre Latour (6 points, 61 teams). And no other riders scoring for any of these three.

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1LosBrolin(+42)
2Devils_Elbow(+38)
3Salvarani(+34)
4Otoxiep87(+33)
5FASTnotFURIOUS(+31)

Well, that's a different listing! Of course things are quite movable in the first few weeks, and LosBrolin was in the right spot after last week to be able to move up nearly half the table. No Wellens for their team, but GvA and Politt make an appearance, buffered by a solid start from Jake Stewart (56, 5 teams) and 27 from Lucas Hamilton 16 teams. Devils Elbow (same combo less Hamilton plus Latour) and Salvarani (same as Devils Elbow with Laporte in place of Stewart) round out the podium.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1Hugo Koblet71.67
2Boris9862.67
3rote_laterne47
4LaFlorecita41
5Hakkie236.67

Some repeat scorers this week! As well as some messy looking scores due to the tie at the top. As per the rules, the top 3 teams split the top 3 points (45-35-30) 3 ways, leading to some non-integer values. The top 3 teams overall scored last week and are now over a single week's max points for the game. Hugo Koblet is in the lead by 9.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(+1)434
2(+2)Boris98411
3(+2)LaFlorecita388
4(+11)Gigs_98369
5(+22)Hakkie2367
6(-5)rote_laterne362
7(-)postmanhat360
8(+2)manafana348
9(+30)Armchair cyclist342
10(+5)Northerner340

Speaking of our dear founder... he's on top! Hugo Koblet gets the winner's wreath and has to go through the post-race doping controls and press conferences in order to have his moment in the sun on the podium, in first with 434 points. Boris98 is having a strong debut in 2nd overall, and longtime youth game manager LaFlo rounds out the top 3! Congrats you guys. Almost 5.8% of last year's rider cost scored already.

This week is another little nibble on an appetizer for the season to come, with another 2.1 race in France, the Tour de Provence. As of this writing, the Classica Almeira is slated to go ahead on Sunday, the last Spanish race standing on the early-season calendar. But with no new news of freshly cancelled races, fingers crossed that things stabilize and this is the rockiest period of the season.

Spreadsheet at dropbox

Well well well, look at that! I knew I was off to a good start, but I didn't actually think that I would be at the top of the leaderboard. I think actually that this is the first time in 10 years of playing this game that I lead the competition :D

Next up I have...

Provence:

Lutsenko
Tejada
Alaphilippe
Vansevenant
Bernal
De Plus
Sosa
Wellens (?)
Van Wilder
Kristoff
Trentin

Lutsenko did well here last year, but the field is stacked. I'm very curious to see Alaphilippe, though we probably shouldn't expect too much at least in terms of GC. Is Wellens riding? He wasn't on the startlist initially but now he's listed on PCS. Anyway, not a race that suit him that well.

Almeria:

Politt
Sarreau
Dupont

Hopefully Dupont and Sarreau can keep me above water here.

Last edited:
Reactions: will-10
Next upcoming races for my team. Or at least team as listed currently (obviously things can change, especially for Almeria being almost a week from now.) I like my team for Provence.

Tour de Provence team:

Ion Izagirre
Jesus Herrada
Remi Cavagna
Kasper Asgreen
Niklas Eg
Enric Mas
Matteo Jorgenson
Abner Gonzalez Rivera
Carlos Rodriguez Cano
Mark Donovan

Clasica de Almeria

Nils Politt
Fernando Gaviria
Jonas Koch
Manuel Penalver Aniorte
Ian Garrison
Mathias Norsgaard
Inigo Elosegui

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021
Visit site
Great start from my team in my debut season. Too bad that Hugo Koblet has even a better start ;)

Hope to continue my run in the following 2 races.

Tour de la Provence
Calmejane Lilian
Lutsenko Alexey
Teuns Dylan
Vansevenant Mauri
Bernal Egan
De Plus Laurens
Wellens Tim
Kristoff Alexander
Trentin Matteo

Clasica de Almeria
Pollit Nils
Sarreau Marc
Dupont Timothy
Zakarin Ilnur
Kristoff Alexander (listed for both races on PCS)

Last edited:
Great start from my team in my debut season. Too bad that Hugo Koblet has even a better start ;)

Hope to continue my run in the following 2 races.

Tour de la Provence
Calmejane Lilian
Lutsenko Alexey
Teuns Dylan
Vansevenant Mauri
Bernal Egan
De Plus Laurens
Wellens Tim
Kristoff Alexander
Trentin Matteo

Clasica de Almeria
Pollit Nils
Sarreau Marc
Dupont Timothy
Kristoff Alexander (listed for both races on PCS)
Hehe, I'm sorry :D Let's hope that we continue to battle it out at the top though, right? ;)

More racing? Yes please!

Provence

Adreas Leknessund
Egan Bernal
Laurens De Plus
Ivan Sosa
Bauke Mollema
Matteo Moschetti
Alexander Kristoff

Not the biggest lineup, and my Ineos contingent is quite popular. However, Moschetti and Leknessund are two of my rarest picks... I think Moschetti has sky-high potential if he's fully back and stage 1 and 4 should show what he's got (maybe even stage 2 depending on how it's raced). Leknessund too, except with GC in place of stages in terms of his sky-high potential. Mollema is high-level consistent so I'm hopeful, and Kristoff is just stretching the legs.

Almeria

Nils Politt
Timothy Dupont

Oof, that's thin. Dupont can top 5 if he makes it to the end sprint, which, this usually is a sprint so could be alright.

It looks like your defending champ is now the defending chump. Bad start and this week doesn't look too promising, unless I get a bit lucky.
Provence:
ALAPHILIPPE Julian
ALEOTTI Giovanni
BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley
CICCONE Giulio
LUTSENKO Alexey
SOSA CUERVO Ivan Ramiro

Could get lucky here if Ciccone and Sosa decide to show themselves in this early race. Alaphilippe and Lutsenko for certain, at least on stage 2. And my first chance to see Aleotti against a good field.

Almeria:
MEEUS Jordi
ROMO Javier

Not a chance.

TRENDING THREADS