• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2021 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hey, just a note - I'm starting my annual summer remote work this week, although I will be staying somewhere with a more reliable internet connection. In years past I've gotten folks to jump in to do updates, although obviously last year there was no racing so I broke that habit. But if anyone's interested in taking over for some updates in the next little bit let me know. Otherwise I'll get them out by mid-week, but no guarantees on which day each week as it's a pretty busy work schedule and I'd have to be a bit flexible.

Reactions: postmanhat
Update #12: Boris back on top

With many of the top stars in this game taking a backseat during a week with the Tour of Turkey and postponed Valenciana attracting somewhat secondary fields, there was still room for a few stars to shine brightly as we transitioned into the Ardennes with Brabantse Pijl and AGR. And shine they did!

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1Galpedal862
2Amis_Velo840
3Bicycle_Boy828
4VeloRooms691
5tom_jelte671

Galpedal wins the week with an absurdly top-heavy team - 3 riders over 100, 3 more over 30 points, and one more with 5 finishing points, and that's it! But those three riders were the two cyclo-cross stars that traded wins in the two 1-day races this week, Wout van Aert (298 points, 5 teams) and Tom Pidcock (262, 72 teams). The cherry on top was the now fully resurgent Mark Cavendish, who got 139 points for his 19 owners. Amis Velo gets a fine second place with a more spread out approach, sans WvA but with the other two Brits as well as 101 from Trentin, 96 from Matthews, 58 from Kwiatko, 52 from Mohoric, and a few others. Bicycle Boy rounds out the podium (which are head and shoulders above the rest of the field with the same big 3 as Galpedal but even less support.

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1ChrisDK(+13)
2Galpedal(+12)
3FASTnotFURIOUS(+10)
3Amis_Velo(+10)
5VeloRooms(+9)

Galpedal can't quite do the double here, as ChrisDK moves up 13 spots even after finishing 14th in the top scorers category. Galpedal does manage 3rd, and Amis Velo also pulls off the double podium, tying with fastnotfurious for third.

Green Jersey competition

RankTeamTotal
1Hugo Koblet172.67
2Boris98168.67
3Otoxiep87145
4Jon_Ezeitza120
5Nakazar107

Boris98 gains 16 points on Hugo, pulling to within 4 to make it a tight race at the top. No other teams in the top 5 score this week.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(+1)6244
2(-1)Total Package6175
3(-)Hugo Koblet6092
4(+2)Bicycle_Boy5975
5(-)Nakazar5780
6(+1)manafana5751
7(-3)Northerner5749
8(+1)Squire5704
9(+1)JPettersen5607
10(+3)Object5599

The lead swings back to Boris98 this week, pulling ahead of last week's leader Total Package, while Hugo stays strong in third. Small movements this week, with Object swapping places with Otoxiep87 to enter the top 10.

Spreadsheet at dropbox

Ciccone and Hagen dropping out at the last moment gave a sour taste to the Tour of the Alps. but it couldn't have gone better since. Moscon and S.Yates win the first two stages, and Bardet looked (sort of) lively

FW tomorrow

Wellens
Pidcock
Higuita
Vansevant
Formolo

Pretty good lineup, but I'm hoping most to see something from Higuita who has had a disappointing season so far. And Formolo would be nice, though I'm close to giving up on him being a decent pick

Now that the time has come where my riders should be flying on points it turns out my team was simply badly picked. Hirschi :( Higuita :(

My team for Liège looks great on paper, but real life :cry:
Mollema, Vingegaard, Hirschi, Lutsenko, Kämna, Schachmann, Gallopin, Pidcock, Higuita, Latour, Vansevenant, L Hamilton.

Last edited:
Wait, I shall not complain? First Pidcock has gone, although he practically promised to me personally he'd be at the start. And now Kämna has been kidnapped from the startlist, too!
This was supposed to be my race. I basically set up a team of Liège riders... and now, after Hirschi and Higuita underperforming like there's nothing in it for me, I'm being let down like this.

Alejandro Valverde (689 points, picked by 4 teams)
So I am part of the 4 "geniuses" that believe. All jokes aside, considering he has scored about 2000 points every season for the most part of his career it should be a no-brainer but it is not a given this time. News came that he will retire and that this will most likely be his last season. I hope that if he will be racing a predominantly Spanish calendar (even though the cancellations just keep stacking up), Ardennes races, Olympics maybe and then Vuelta it should be good opportunities to score some points for him. I trust that Valverde will want to go out with a couple of victories and have a good season. I'm not expecting 2000 points, but over a 1000? 1500 maybe? That's not too far-fetched I hope and I would like a legend to go out as a legend.

And he is into profit with 4th place in LBL! Hopefully there is more to come.

On another note, Hirschi picked up some points too. Maybe there is still hope to breakeven or best case scenario that he also can turn into profit.

I unfortunately seem to have bet on the wrong back to hold up and excluded another one, but thats the choices we make. Pinot is not looking great at all. He will have to be good late in the season for this to turn into a decent pick.

Kristoff, that I and a few others were really happy about not being picked by that many has had a horrible classics campaign. Maybe the worst of his career. Time of course to turn it around but not the great pick that we anticipated.

Lutsenko. Very meh, so far.

Bardet is starting to look good after a slow start. Maybe intentional and perhaps he might surprise in the Giro with a good result.

But anyway. Valverde rules.

And he is into profit with 4th place in LBL! Hopefully there is more to come.

On another note, Hirschi picked up some points too. Maybe there is still hope to breakeven or best case scenario that he also can turn into profit.

I unfortunately seem to have bet on the wrong back to hold up and excluded another one, but thats the choices we make. Pinot is not looking great at all. He will have to be good late in the season for this to turn into a decent pick.

Kristoff, that I and a few others were really happy about not being picked by that many has had a horrible classics campaign. Maybe the worst of his career. Time of course to turn it around but not the great pick that we anticipated.

Lutsenko. Very meh, so far.

Bardet is starting to look good after a slow start. Maybe intentional and perhaps he might surprise in the Giro with a good result.

But anyway. Valverde rules.

Valverde is planning on racing the entire group of Spanish races in May.

The rest of my team:

Enric Mas: not really looking very good at all.

Miguel Angel Lopez: At least is supposed to be starting his season soon.

Ivan Cortina: What happened? I expected more in the classics.

Fernanado Gaviria: Maybe not pick him again

Sergio Higuita: Where is any evidence of form?

From what I've seen of Landa I think he's alright.

On the other side, very happy with Kasper Agreen, Matteo Jorgenson, and of course being one of the 4 teams that picked Valverde figuring there was no way he could be as bad as he was last year again this year.

As for one other pick being Froome figured if he raced enough raced he could get over the points total he had last year. Not expecting much other than to be able to get over the points total he had last year.

Yay, Hirschi finally starting to look better. Will be hard to be a good pick, but at least...
Higuita continues to disappoint, unfortunately.
Would have expected more from Schachmann in the Ardennes.
Should have picked Gaudu. Should have payed those 4000 points for Roglic and Pogacar... :astonished:;)

Finally, the stage racing part of my team starts coming to life at the Tour of the Alps, with Simon Yates looking very promising for The Giro, and Bardet showing something, perhaps. Moscon was outstanding, which somehow made it worse that he'd missed the entire classics season through injury :)

Wasn't looking forward to Romandie as it's a very weak GC field with easy points for the taking, and I haven't got any contenders there. Luckily, Sagan and Colbrelli made up for that a bit today, and they could both have another opportunity.

Beginning to nervously eye the Giro now. Will be make or break for so many key riders on my team

Finally, the stage racing part of my team starts coming to life at the Tour of the Alps, with Simon Yates looking very promising for The Giro, and Bardet showing something, perhaps. Moscon was outstanding, which somehow made it worse that he'd missed the entire classics season through injury :)

Wasn't looking forward to Romandie as it's a very weak GC field with easy points for the taking, and I haven't got any contenders there. Luckily, Sagan and Colbrelli made up for that a bit today, and they could both have another opportunity.

Beginning to nervously eye the Giro now. Will be make or break for so many key riders on my team
I'm with you. I actually have a few good ones for Romandie (hamilton, Kruijswijk, Champoussin), plus Sagan today.
But the Giro is make or break for my teams come back. here's hoping:
Bardet
Bernal
Buchmann
Champoussin
Ciccone
Evenepoel
Foss
Sagan
Sivakov
Sosa

Update #13: Hugo Takes Over

We had an exciting week with the Ardennes, with some consistent high finishers between Fleche and LBL getting gobs of points for the teams who had them, and the Tour of the Alps driving scores higher as well. Let's see where that leaves us!

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1Otoxiep871050
2Lortnoc914
3mineralJ894
418-Valve. (pithy)863
5Northerner853

Yet another week where the leader breaks 1000 points, although it's just one team this week, albeit one who is no stranger to the top of the standings. Otoxiep87 once again reaps the benefit of the two rare riders Pogacar (280 points for the monument win, 2 teams) and Vlasov (112, 9), but gains biggest from the high finishes of Julian Alaphilippe (390 points, 27 teams). Mollema also quietly clears 100 points (120, 33 teams) to give Otoxiep87 a formidable score (just imagine where it would have been if UAE hadn't been pulled from Fleche). Lortnoc has a very solid week to net second place, with the above-mentioned riders less Pogacar, plus 77 from Sivakov as the next highest rider. mineralJ gets 3rd with almost 900, with of course Alapilippe to thank but also Alps winner Simon Yates (209 points, 14 teams).

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1mineralJ(+14)
218-Valve. (pithy)(+13)
3Lortnoc(+12)
3Rebecops(+12)
5Tigerion(+11)
5Earns1985(+11)

We're far enough into the season now that even though the scores are high, the moves in the standings are relatively small. mineralJ tops this one - as we will see, Otoxie87 was already quite high in the overall to start and so didn't have that far to move. 18-Valve is a newcomer on this ranking after just missing the Top Scorers podium, as the other Pogacar owner. Lortnoc repeats a podium and is joined by Rebecops in a tie for third.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1Otoxiep87190
2Hugo Koblet172.67
3Boris98168.67
4Jon_Ezeitza120
5Nakazar107

Well, Hugo and Boris had a strong lead for awhile, but not a big enough lead that it would be protected from a 45-point surge from Otoxiep87, the new leader. No other teams in the top 5 scored Green Jersey points this week.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(+2)6684
2(+5)Northerner6602
3(-2)Boris986597
4(-)Bicycle_Boy6581
5(-3)Total Package6554
6(+5)Otoxiep876530
7(-2)Nakazar6440
8(-)Squire6306
9(-3)manafana6242
10(-)Object6084

After being in the lead very early in the season, Hugo Koblet has flirted with the top spot, and finally returns this week. Hugo finished a modest 34th in the weekly rankings, but last week's top 2 Boris98 and Total Package both had off weeks and finished below 65th place. Northerner uses a 5th place on the week to leapfrog into 2nd overall, 82 points behind, while Boris holds onto the last podium spot, less than 100 behind Hugo and 16 in front of 4th place. It's a very tight race! Otoxiep87 uses the weekly win to jump back into the top 10, at the expense of JPettersen, who falls out.

This week is Romandie and the rescheduled Vuelta a Asturias, an appetizer week before the Giro starts very soon.

Spreadsheet at dropbox

Thanks for the update! I'm glad to be a top of the leaderboard once again, although I'm sad that Otoxiep87 took the green jersey away from me! I'll have to get that back somehow :D

Btw, here's a question for you CQ game historians: When was the earliest someone got their team into profit?

TRENDING THREADS