• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2021 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Evenepoel's withdrawal from the Vuelta has definitely increased his chances of becoming of becoming a half-decent selection. Victory in Denmark has moved him up to about 70%, and is scheduled to ride at least six more races now, all of which he could potentially do well in

Vuelta

Far too many of my Giro riders wasted their time following up with the Tour, so not as big a team as I'd hoped for

GC - Bardet and Ciccone

Wish they were riding elsewhere - Vansevant, F.Vermeersch, Trentin

Already good picks. Anything else is a bonus - Lastra, Vanmarcke, Pidcock

Evenepoel's withdrawal from the Vuelta has definitely increased his chances of becoming of becoming a half-decent selection. Victory in Denmark has moved him up to about 70%, and is scheduled to ride at least six more races now, all of which he could potentially do well in

Vuelta

Far too many of my Giro riders wasted their time following up with the Tour, so not as big a team as I'd hoped for

GC - Bardet and Ciccone

Wish they were riding elsewhere - Vansevant, F.Vermeersch, Trentin

Already good picks. Anything else is a bonus - Lastra, Vanmarcke, Pidcock

I read Bardet is not going for GC but stages. (I have him, too...)

Taaramae :cool:

another good performance from Aleotti along with 2nd and 3rd in Denmark means it has not been too bad a week. finally Pedersen is scoring some more points.

aside from Taaramae, I don't have much for the Vuelta:

Kruijswijk, Camargo Pineda, Bernal, Pidcock, Vanmarcke, Arensman

A little late, but this is my Vuelta team:

I Izagirre
Landa
Jesus Herrada
Valverde
Mas
MA Lopez
Juan Pedro Lopez

Well, I do have 5 riders who are capable of finishing in the top 10 in GC. Heck 4 of them have GT podiums. Now what that translates into, who knows, but at least I'm starting with options.

Update #29: R_O_Shipman wins the battle and Object takes a big step towards winning the war

With some fairly rare riders scoring big in Poland and Denmark and a few other small races, as well as the start of the Vuelta (looks like stage 3 was included in this update), there was a wide range of points scored by top teams this week. As well, the overall solidified a little bit. Let's take a look.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1R_O_Shipman837
2Amis_Velo812
3Gigs_98600
4del1962595
5Object588

The week is owned by two teams, R_O_Shipman and Amis Velo, the only teams to score over 800 points - or 700, or 600 for that matter. R_O_Shipman takes it by 25 points though. Of course, their team was one of the the thankful 39 that saw Remco Evenepoel claw back some of his cost with an on-brand dominant win in Denmark. But his 216 points from that were not actually the highest on the squad - 237 points from Matej Mohoric (5 teams) from Poland for 2nd overall, high stage placings, and the high placing in the points competition that goes with it, contribute to that score. Shipman also had 95 points from Tim Wellens (18 teams), 88 from Rein Taaramae (7 teams) and 77 from Dylan Teuns (18 teams). Amis Velo had the same top 2, but was ever more top heavy with 182 points from Kwiatkowski (2 teams) and no one else over 40. Gigs_98 comes in a distant third with Remco, Mike Teunissen (97 points, 34 teams) and Wellens/Teuns.

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1Amis_Velo(+17)
2R_O_Shipman(+10)
2del1962(+10)
4Gigs_98(+6)
5skidmark(+4)
5MuddyWaters(+4)
5Wallenquist(+4)
5Riverside(+4)
5search(+4)
5LaFlorecita(+4)

Amis Velo wins this one though, moving up 17 spots compared to 10 from R_O_Shipman and the still-on-a-great-run del1962 (I pointed out last update that their team had finished in the top 15 of 7 of the last 10 weeks - make that 8 of 11).

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1Otoxiep87251
2Bicycle_Boy213
3Object202
4Hugo Koblet198.67
5Jon_Ezeitza183

The only scorer in the top 5 was Object, who moves into 3rd overall with 22 points this week. del's aforementioned hot streak has got their team to 6th place, 4 points out of 5th.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)14163
2(-)Otoxiep8713204
3(-)Squire13018
4(+1)Nakazar12869
5(-1)Total Package12833
6(-)Galpedal12801
7(-)JPettersen12400
8(-)Northerner12259
9(+10)del196212220
10(-1)rote_laterne12210

I maybe buried the lede here... maybe the most consequential story of the week is that after a few weeks of losing ground that turned around last week, Object trounced the competition to move almost 1000 points in front! 588 points on the week is quite a bit more than almost anyone in the top 10 (del1962 scored 595, but Otoxiep87 had 134 and Squire 307). Minimal movement in the top 10 other than del, who gets a fourth mention of the update here for leaping 10 spots into the top 10, at the expense of mineralJ, who falls out.

This week, the Vuelta keeps rolling, and along with some 1.1 races we have stage races of all stripes - the 2.PS Tour of Norway, the 2.1 Tour du Limousin, a couple of 2.2 races in eastern Europe, and the 2.NC Tour l'Avenir! Two things are sure: you probably will score some points, and you probably won't catch Object.

spreadsheet at dropbox

Another question for you cq-historians: Has anyone ever had all of their riders return a profit?
I think it was a couple of years ago that I checked back over all the previous top tens, and none of them had. I took that as meaning that nobody has, although maybe if someone chose a very cheap team, or somehow had everyone in the black but only just, it might have happened.

And just this morning I had a look at this year's teams to see it it had been done, but no (at least by anyone in the top 15), even at depressed 2020 prices.

Riders from my team currently under 100%:
Hirschi, Kämna, Higuita, Kuss, Gaviria, Sivakov, Jakobsen, Tejada.
I still have hopes for Kuss, Gaviria and even Jakobsen to make it, the others won't. Kämna is the worst choice you could make. While he was a bit of a gamble from the beginning on I would never have thought Hirschi would only be at 25% by now, with not much hope to get better.

Thankfully apart from Tejada all my cheaper picks are well off, otherwise I wouldn't be in the upper half by now.
Mostly, the riders that payed off are really boring choices, like Bernal, Mollema, Politt, Pidcock and Latour. My only interesting choice that was really successful is Vingegaard, okay, and Vansevenant was a good one.

I could bite myself I picked Cavendish and Aru last year, but not this year... :cryingcat:

Reactions: postmanhat
Speaking of... What has happened to Hirschi this year? I know he has had some problems, but any explanation or news about him?

Yes, he had some trouble in the beginning of the season. Some health issues I think. Dont know what exactly. It probably affected his spring.

6th was still a pretty good result in LBL considering everything.

He then separated his shoulder on the first Tour stage.

Just been a year of bad luck and poor form. I mean if you didnt complete all the training in the off-season and missed some camps. It is hard to get going at all I would think. You are so far behind everyone you are just trying to catch up and if you crash and have some injuries, you just get further behind. Lose some motivation, might as well build for next year. Maybe he could still end the season on a good note.

Update #30: Nothing undercover about Sneekes' week

Another late summer week of racing sees some stage points at the Vuelta, the Tour of Norway, Avenir for the youngsters, and a few other races. Not much changed at the top of the rankings, but there's still lots of racing coming up.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1Sneekes495
2Nevs479
3merengues415
4Nyssinator408
5Fivezzz406

Sneekes takes the cake this week, nearly getting 500 points thanks to a few riders, most notably the return to form of Fabio Jakobsen, who scored 180 points on the week to get almost back to his CQ score of 2020. Only 3 teams took the chance on Jakobsen in a sporting capacity for this game, and they will be feeling extra good vibes this week, although I'm sure many of us who don't have him on our teams were also smiling this week to see his long road to recovery reach a high point. Another rider that has been less dramatically, but frequently, injured over the last two years is Mike Teunissen, but he is finally back to form in the last two weeks, getting another 117 points for his 34 owners. Sneekes also gets 80 points from Alberto Dainese (19 teams), who is showing some consistency and improvement late into his sophomore year. Nevs gets second place on the week, thanks largely to 227 points from Ethan Hayter (9 teams), reaching a second peak of the year after his stage race win in the spring. Dainese and Hodeg (also 80 points) are other highlights for Nevs. merengues rounds out the podium with the same main trio as Nevs but a bit less support.

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1Sneekes(+9)
2Amis_Velo(+6)
2Fivezzz(+6)
2BlueRoads(+6)
5adamski101(+5)
5Bonimenier(+5)
5Hugo Koblet(+5)

No team jumps double digits this week, but Sneekes doubles up on top of the rankings by moving up 9 spots. The rest of the podium is a three-way tie between Amis Velo, Fivezzz and BlueRoads, all of which own one of Jakobsen/Hayter, this week's must-haves.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1Otoxiep87251
2Bicycle_Boy213
3Hugo Koblet212.67
4Object202
5Jon_Ezeitza183

There is some scoring in the top 5 this week - Hugo Koblet gets 14 points on the week to move back up to 3rd, his first green jersey points since week 16. It's been a bit of a dry spell for the game founder since being on top (both overall and in this competition) earlier in the season, but perhaps this is a harbinger of an end-of-season resurgence.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)14393
2(-)Otoxiep8713432
3(-)Squire13353
4(-)Nakazar12974
5(+1)Galpedal12956
6(-1)Total Package12925
7(-)JPettersen12548
8(-)Northerner12453
9(+2)MADRAZO12389
10(-1)del196212355

Not much change this week - after the big gains of last week, Object gains a mere 2 points on Otoxiep87 this week, although Squire gains a little over 100 on both of them to narrow that gap a bit. MADRAZO jumps into the top 10 at the expense of rote laterne, who falls out.

This week, the second week of the Vuelta is rolling along, there's the return of the Deutschland Tour, the 2.1 Poitou Charentes, and two one-day races in Belgium including the Brussels Classic.

spreadsheet at dropbox

TRENDING THREADS