• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2023 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 46 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Awful week/month/season, and this is easily the team that's added the least enjoyment to following cycling. Only had three riders at The Giro, Haig has crashed and Battistella DNS today.

To compound it, a similar story with every omission. Had Hagenes, Gregoire and Vernon last year, but not this. Vernon I didn't really believe in tbh and happy to see him prove me wrong. The other two I thought might reach 200-300 points and fancied a change in the young riders I was following. All three could easily reach 500+ points?

And don't get me started on the riders I've had for two years and discarded (Ciccone, F.Vermeersch, Rex), versus those I kept the faith with (Ewan, Moscon:)

Reactions: MADRAZO
Nice 1-2-3 in the GC of Dunkerque this week for me. But I am that far behind, it doesn´t really matter to be honest.

Intersting fact about all the Roglic owners and not owners. Because he still refuses to take the pink jersey and all the stages are goint to the breakaways he scored pretty low until now in the giro. Only 30 points...

Update #20: Sneekes sneaks past everybody

While we waited (and waited and waited) for the action to heat up in Italy, Dunkirk provided plenty of fireworks. A number of one day races also offered the opportunity to showcase a different crop of riders.

This Week's Top Scorers

Sneekes easily tops the week powered by the popular duo of Grégoire and Asgreen. Their team also got contributions from Sagan and Ackermann as they look to get their season on track. Van Moer proved to be an inspired unique pick and Healy hasn't slowed down much compared to previous weeks. AlfaLum takes the second spot with strong showing from Hagenes and Bol (+ Grégoire and Asgreen). Poles & Co. takes third with a similar mix as our leader swapping out Van Moer and Healy for Vernon. Madrazo and jsem94 round out the top 5 with a lot of riders featured in our podium teams just not quite as many high scorers.

RankTeamPoints this week
1Sneekes686
2AlfaLum642
3Poles & Co616
4MADRAZO608
5jsem94575

Green Jersey Competition

Sneekes is up to 6th while Poles & Co also enters the top 10 but Blues in the bottle still has a strong grip on this classification.

RankTeamTotal
1Blues in the bottle204.5
2rote_laterne184.5
3bminchow151.3
4zaka_fan149.3
5escartin146

Highest Movers

Nyssinator's 13-place jump just edged out a quartet of teams that rose 12 spots.

RankTeamTotal
1Nyssinator+13
2Poles & Co+12
3MADRAZO+12
4LaFlorecita+12
5Nakazar+12

Top 10 Overall

Blues in the bottle is the first team to surpass 7000 points but will have to wait another week to break even. Will10 can rejoice in shaving 170 points of the lead but sees weekly winner Sneekes breath down their neck. There was some shuffling lower down in the top 10 notably jsem94 and tobydawq gaining a couple spots but nobody actually moved in or out.

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)Blues in the bottle7111
2(-)will106781
3(+3)Sneekes6730
4(-1)Kazistuta6673
5(+3)jsem946526
6(-2)Whoops6454
7(-2)DJW6418
8(+2)tobydawq6415
9(-)adamski1016365
10(-3)repre6299

Expect fireworks next week in the game if not on the road (although presumably at some point the Giro favorites will have to try their luck) as we will see the GC points from the Giro finally locked in. With the Boucles de la Mayenne plus the tours of Norway, Japan and Estonia, there will be plenty of other avenues for points.

spreadsheet at dropbox

Slowly dropping in the overall rankings, the Giro isn't going as hoped, Haig and Vine out of GC contention, De Plus performing better than expected.
Healy doing Healy things and Aurelien Paret-Peintre scoring some stage points and staying close in the GC. So maybe still possible to end this week in the top 10

Tour of Norway is looking ok, should be able to pick up some points:

DE POOTER Dries
TARLING Joshua
HOELGAARD Markus
SCHELLING Ide
BRENNER Marco
VALGREN HUNDAHL (ANDERSEN) Michael
STUYVEN Jasper

Does anybody know what's going on with Quinn Simmons? Promising start of the season, got sick in Catalunya, DNF in BP and AGR. Haven't heard anything since

Giro - great result. 1st and 5th with Roglic and Arensman. Two other finishers, Gloag, Baudin (can't say they were that visible in the race). Two DNFs Dekker and Cattaneo. Thought Cattaneo would show something in the race. Or in any race this year.
Unfortunately the rest of my team appears to have gone on some kind of hiatus. But maybe Lenny Martinez can win this afternoon?

I actually have several riders doing pretty well in different races lately, but it will mean nothing against Roglic's Giro points.

Also disappointing to see Luke Plapp missing out on so many points in the last few months. Terrible form in the Tour of Norway it seems, which should normally suit him perfectly with that TT deciding things.

Update #21: Berflamand catches lightning in a bottle, nobody catches Blues in the bottle

The Giro GC update is always one of the biggest of the years and once again it didn't disappoint with Roglic and Almeida both on the podium and two of the most popular expensive picks in the game.

This Week's Top Scorers

Berflamand tops the week and 1400 points powered by his Giro squad: Roglic, Almeida, Van Wilder, Milan and Haig. Senderos and Total Package are second and third courtesy of the same Roglic/Almeida combo (near 1100 points between the two riders this week) plus Haig and Van Wilder. Waku waku is powered to 4th place by Roglic/Almeida as well. The bes team not to feature the duo, as it so often has been this year, is our leader Blues in the bottle (Roglic, Dunbar, Van Wilder, Kuss, Ewan).

RankTeamPoints this week
1Berflamand1433
2Senderos1362
3Total Package1355
4waku waku1347
5Blues in the bottle1327

Green Jersey Competition

Blues in the bottle widens their lead as nobody else in the top 10 scored this week.

RankTeamTotal
1Blues in the bottle226.5
2rote_laterne184.5
3bminchow151.3
4zaka_fan149.3
5escartin146

Highest Movers

With so many points on offer this week it's no surprise to see huge jumps and none were bigger than karaev's 24 places rise (Roglic, Almeida, Milan). Berflamand and Amis Velo (another Roglic/Almeida team) get a 23 place bump. Scrooll07 (yes you guessed it, they have Roglic and Almeida on their roster) and waku waku also gain more than 20 spots.

RankTeamTotal
1karaev+24
2Berflamand+23
3Amis Velo+23
4scrooll07+22
5waku waku+21

Top 10 Overall

Blues in the bottle surpasses 8000 points and widens their lead to more than 600 points. Kazistuta is now leading the pack. Barring our leader, every team in the top 10 moved around but we have just two new entrants: Riverside and HoudiniCycling (in a shocking development it turns out they also feature the Roglic/Almeida combo). Adamski101 and repre give way.

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)Blues in the bottle8438
2(+1)Kazistuta7809
3(-1)will107783
4(-1)Sneekes7740
5(+1)Whoops7610
6(+2)tobydawq7534
7(+5)Riverside7444
8(-3)jsem947315
9(+4)HoudiniCycling7268
10(-3)DJW7238

This week will be much calmer but that won't last long. With the Dauphiné starting on Sunday the build up to the Tour is about to pick up steam.

spreadsheet at dropbox

Fun bonus, the post-Giro score from the leader of every edition of the game. Teams in bold went on to win that particular edition of the game. The score in italic is the highest ever. We had 5 teams last year ahead of BitB's current pace.

Year
Leader
Score
2011​
LukeSchmid​
6135​
2012​
TeoSheva​
9338​
2013​
Dim, Geraint Too Fast​
6284​
2014​
Geraint Too Fast​
7788​
2015​
Londonpat​
8590​
2016​
Nicosix​
7374​
2017​
the asian​
6908​
2018​
ruvu75
7566​
2019​
skidmark​
7445​
2020​
bminchow
2021​
TotalPackage​
9082​
2022​
EITB
9049​
2023​
Blues in the bottle​
8438​

Thanks EITB for doing a great job with the updates! I'm tied up with a full workload and very little time and energy to engage for the next month yet, but I've been following the races and tracking my team as best I can.

After a rocky start, lots of my guys have been coming around lately, which is great to see. Popular picks like Asgreen and Gregoire have had some success, and of course Roglic pulled it out in the end after 3 weeks of relatively low points scoring. But what's really making the difference for me is my rarer guys, like Vernon, Tulett, and Penhoet... Van Eetvelt seems to be determined in his comeback, and heck even Sagan is up to 100 points finally. I'm pleased with how things are rounding into form - my team treaded water with basically Roglic and Milan only at the Giro, but I've already got Monday's GC points for Tulett in Norway and a 3/4 in today's 1.1 race with Van Eetvelt and Martinez. So I'm happy with the week already.

I'll see you all in a bit when I'm back on the update train during the Tour, have fun!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts