• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2024 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 74 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That's actually amazing, isn't it? :D I would have thought that having all riders from the same country is not a good tactic to win the week where the only races of note are national championships. It's so counter-intuitive.
Yeah, I was also a bit surprised by that. Of course it helps, when the country, where you have all the riders from in your team is qualified in the highest category, where you can earn the highest amount of points..

Update #23: Danes dominate Danish championships

The national championships week is always a fun update with no one dominant rider and plenty of picks thrust into unfamiliar circumstances and scoring opportunities.

This Week's Top Scorers

Rank
Team
Points this week
1​
813​
2​
568​
3​
545​
4​
519​
5​
509​

Redhead Dane crushes the week with the rather original concept of basically picking the entire Danish championship rankings. That turned out to be a more sound strategy than picking a bunch of Basque riders who have to compete with other riders in the Spanish and French championships, and it's enough to lift their team above Samu's Basque Street Boys in the overall.

Kingcycling found a nice market inefficiency to exploit. Slovenia awards maximum points thanks to Pogacar (and Roglic) dominating the World Tour but in their absence that means a ton of easy points for the likes of Mohoric, Novak and Govekar. Hajek, Dunbar and Maciejuk give just enough support to secure second place.

Tobydawq closes the podium with a bigger spread of nationalities. Hayter, Bettiol, Vauquelin, Wandahl and Beloki being the main point scorers on that team.

HoudiniCycling pulls off the neat magic trick of having the national champions of the United Kingdom, Ireland and Germany with supporting rides from Van Eetvelt, Nys, Canal, Cosnefroy and Leknessund.

Berflamand also cracks 500 points with Asgreen, Hayter, Nys, Brenner and Segaert being the stars this week.

This Week's High Movers

Rank
Team
Up/Down
1​
(+10)​
2​
(+7)​
3​
(+6)​
4​
(+4)​
5​
(+3)​
5​
(+3)​
5​
(+3)​
5​
(+3)​
5​
(+3)​

Tobydawq also registers a double digit raise. Will10 gains 7 spots (Hayter, Nys, Valgren, Turgis and Beloki). Crevaison doesn't come out flat this week behind the efforts of Hayter, Nys, Brenner and Hajek.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank
Team
Total
1​
229​
2​
222​
3​
186​
4​
149​
5​
138​

Jakob747 inches toward the top two with 6 points this week. Lower down, Earns1985 scores points for the fourth straight week highlighting some nice consistency.

Top 10 Overall

Rank
Team
11447​
2​
9913​
3​
9875​
4​
9801​
5​
9780​
6​
9711​
7​
9641​
8​
9604​
9​
9496​
9​
9426​

Shalgo keeps churning out points far above everybody else. For the second week, the members of the top 10 are unchanged but the order differs with EITB sliding down from second to fourth. Adamski101 is now "closest" to shalgo.

spreadsheet link

I was starting to think I had a chance st the elusive “all riders into profit” achievement. 25/33 on my team are already into profit and even Ethan Hayter is above 50% of last year’s score. But then Piccolo had to go and get suspended by his team.
I was starting to think the same about my team. :D

On first glance it doesn't look too bad. There aren't anyone on my team who you can definitely tell won't turn a profit at this point. Even Hayter might actually break even. But the probability of a full green team is still extremely low I guess. It just takes one of my underwhelming guys to continue being useless. One or more out of Hagenes, Masnada, Poole and Gloag (in order of likelihood) are going to put an end to that dream. At least Gloag is racing again next month, and will probably get some easy races for points, too.

With Geoghegan Hart missing out on the Tour, I only have the meaningless Bernal for GC in the next three weeks + only six riders participating at all. Well, the positive in that is that my riders won't be wasting 21 race days trying to get CQ points racing against all the cannibals and wonder kids of this generation.

(Hoping for a possible yellow jersey for Girmay on stage 1, but that might too be a tough ask)

HoudiniCycling pulls off the neat magic trick of having the national champions of the United Kingdom, Ireland and Germany

And that's what's makes the whole thing so surprising to me. I would have thought multiple national champions would put you at an advantage. Of course, I didn't realise German and Irish championships only gives you 60 points.

Right, I'm done celebrating; here are my riders for the week! Riders in bold blue are starting The Big One down in France Saturday. (I know they're starting in Italy!)

Cort
Foldager
Kragh
Pedersen

Salby

Yeah... my time in the spotlight is gonna come to an end quickly. Unfortunately, most of the Danes selected for the Tour are those I ended up not picking, and some of the Danes I was hoping for - Asgreen, the Lotto duo - ended up not being selected.

Update #23: Danes dominate Danish championships

The national championships week is always a fun update with no one dominant rider and plenty of picks thrust into unfamiliar circumstances and scoring opportunities.

This Week's Top Scorers

Rank
Team
Points this week
1​
813​
2​
568​
3​
545​
4​
519​
5​
509​

Redhead Dane crushes the week with the rather original concept of basically picking the entire Danish championship rankings. That turned out to be a more sound strategy than picking a bunch of Basque riders who have to compete with other riders in the Spanish and French championships, and it's enough to lift their team above Samu's Basque Street Boys in the overall.

Kingcycling found a nice market inefficiency to exploit. Slovenia awards maximum points thanks to Pogacar (and Roglic) dominating the World Tour but in their absence that means a ton of easy points for the likes of Mohoric, Novak and Govekar. Hajek, Dunbar and Maciejuk give just enough support to secure second place.

Tobydawq closes the podium with a bigger spread of nationalities. Hayter, Bettiol, Vauquelin, Wandahl and Beloki being the main point scorers on that team.

HoudiniCycling pulls off the neat magic trick of having the national champions of the United Kingdom, Ireland and Germany with supporting rides from Van Eetvelt, Nys, Canal, Cosnefroy and Leknessund.

Berflamand also cracks 500 points with Asgreen, Hayter, Nys, Brenner and Segaert being the stars this week.

This Week's High Movers

Rank
Team
Up/Down
1​
(+10)​
2​
(+7)​
3​
(+6)​
4​
(+4)​
5​
(+3)​
5​
(+3)​
5​
(+3)​
5​
(+3)​
5​
(+3)​

Tobydawq also registers a double digit raise. Will10 gains 7 spots (Hayter, Nys, Valgren, Turgis and Beloki). Crevaison doesn't come out flat this week behind the efforts of Hayter, Nys, Brenner and Hajek.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank
Team
Total
1​
229​
2​
222​
3​
186​
4​
149​
5​
138​

Jakob747 inches toward the top two with 6 points this week. Lower down, Earns1985 scores points for the fourth straight week highlighting some nice consistency.

Top 10 Overall

Rank
Team
11447​
2​
9913​
3​
9875​
4​
9801​
5​
9780​
6​
9711​
7​
9641​
8​
9604​
9​
9496​
9​
9426​

Shalgo keeps churning out points far above everybody else. For the second week, the members of the top 10 are unchanged but the order differs with EITB sliding down from second to fourth. Adamski101 is now "closest" to shalgo.

spreadsheet link
Thanks for the update!

Again one place up. Only Shalgo seems to be out of reach.

Looking at the tour de France teams, I am also confident, that most of my picks are there to score without having to work for others. It seems, that only B. Turner seems to be in that category.

C. Rodriguez (6 players out of top20)
Bernal (Top15 overall have him, so doesn´t matter that much)
Carapaz (adamski101 as the only player out of the Top20 doesn´t have him)
Meintjes (2 players out of current top20)
Girmay (17 players out of Top20)
S. Bennett (8 players out of Top20)
Ackermann (2 players out of Top20)
B. Turner (14 players out of Top20)
D. Martinez (Bora still didn´t announce their team yet, but doesn´t matter that much for this game, because nearly everybody in the top ranks have him)

Of course my hopes are there especially for C. Rodriguez, but I also have to hope for a good placing for Meintjes and good stage points for S. Bennett and especially from Ackermann. As I am also very close to Adamski101, would also be great, if Carapaz finally scores big.

On another note, I am also glad, that the very popular picks, which performed well and I don´t have (Capiot, Laurance and Ayuso) will also ride, but are scheduled mostly for domestique works. Would have wished me the same for Cosnefroy, but it seems, that the AG2R sport director really wants to annoy all of us not Cosnefroy owners..

Last edited:
Reactions: EvansIsTheBest
@Shakes:
I really like your work, that you did with the page. I use it a lot.
I have a small suggestion for an adaption request.
In the tab "Random stats", there is a section "most popular riders", which only lists the 25 most popular riders until now.
Is there a possibility, that you can add a list with all riders and the information how many players picked them and additionally (how it is already now), when you click on them you see also which players picked them?
For me this information would be great, because when I follow a race, it´s somtimes good to know, how many other players have them, to know if I should cheer for him or not. :smiley:
For me it´s right now more or less the only time, when I still use the Excel Spreadsheet.

In the section "most popular riders" there also seems to be a small bug, since we only have 94 teams and the section says, that 105 players picked Quintana..
Apologies for picking this up so late.

Didn't apply a limit on number of riders for most popular. Also fixed the Quintana issue.

By the way, on your own page you can also see which other teams have your riders. For example:

Last edited:
Wouldn´t put too much hope in that one, even van der Poel is saying, that this stage is far too dificult for him...
I've noticed that as well, but Van Der Poel has just had a 2 months race break and as such should be a bit undercooked, whereas Girmay has raced 5 races this month and has shown he's on form. I predict around 40-50 riders arrive together in stage 1 (unless if Pogi goes berserk), and Girmay should be one of the best to handle the hills. Who do you predict to be the best of the semi-sprinters? I think Matthews and Girmay might be the only survivors.

I've noticed that as well, but Van Der Poel has just had a 2 months race break and as such should be a bit undercooked, whereas Girmay has raced 5 races this month and has shown he's on form. I predict around 40-50 riders arrive together in stage 1 (unless if Pogi goes berserk), and Girmay should be one of the best to handle the hills. Who do you predict to be the best of the semi-sprinters? I think Matthews and Girmay might be the only survivors.
I think UAE will test Vingegaard already on stage 1. So GC guys will fight for the stage win. No chance for Girmay to hold on here in my opinion.