• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2nd Tour De Yorkshire (2.1) 29/04 - 1/05/16

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Gigs_98 said:
This is basically a 2nd Eneco tour. Doesnt look that great at the first sight but then the hilly stages are raced better than any of the hilly classics. Why is Wellens not riding Yorkshire btw? This race is really perfect for him.
The ASO don't except private entrie from lone riders. Lotto Soudal weren't racing in the Tour de Yorkshire. They are already racing in Turkey and Switzerland this week.

Re: Re:

laurensde+ said:
Libertine Seguros said:
a stage with some cobbled hills around Halifax and Keighley

Yes, this could be a brilliant stage.

Definitely. Although the Scarborough stage should always be there (or maybe a one-day race as suggested).

I thought that the finish was around 17:30 British time, not continental time :eek:, so I went for a longer ride than I should have and only saw the last 12km. The last climb was a very nice addition. Roche lost the plot for a second and Voeckler took his prey (though he probably would have won anyway). Moscon is a monster.

Libertine Seguros said:
Pricey_sky said:
Of course it all comes down to money and how much towns want the race, but they really need to keep this Scarborough stage in this race.

I wouldn't mind the race going to 4 days, maybe 2 sprints, another hilly stage and this one.
Ideally have a sprint stage, a stage with some cobbled hills around Halifax and Keighley, maybe an echelon-baiting stage around the coast or on the higher plateau, and then a hilly stage like this one. Something for every type of classics rider, and all you'd have to do is change the order of the stages to completely change the dynamic the following year.

Yes that would be absolutely ideal.

Hopefully they can all come to an agreement next year and we get a great 4 day race.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
To all those giving as per usual Nicolas Roche a hard time ...remember who opened up the race on the climbs...best climber today
Yes he messed up but I defy anyone who is not a sprinter to beat Vockleur in the same position....I guess Roche was sh***** himself.. He doesn't have much experience of such situation unlike Vockleur
Well, I'd say Moscon was clearly the strongest today.

Also, Nordhaug DID beat Voeckler in the same position last year. Moscon probably would've beat him as well. In general, Sky played their cards horribly.

maltiv said:
HelloDolly said:
To all those giving as per usual Nicolas Roche a hard time ...remember who opened up the race on the climbs...best climber today
Yes he messed up but I defy anyone who is not a sprinter to beat Vockleur in the same position....I guess Roche was sh***** himself.. He doesn't have much experience of such situation unlike Vockleur

Also, Nordhaug DID beat Voeckler in the same position last year. Moscon probably would've beat him as well. In general, Sky played their cards horribly.

Sky had a better position last year in the finish, since they had two guys in the decisive four man break. This time they only had Roche in a group of five. So, I would say that Sky played their cards worse this time, leaving Roche a worse hand in the closing stages than Nordhaug had last year.

Libertine Seguros said:
Pricey_sky said:
Of course it all comes down to money and how much towns want the race, but they really need to keep this Scarborough stage in this race.

I wouldn't mind the race going to 4 days, maybe 2 sprints, another hilly stage and this one.
Ideally have a sprint stage, a stage with some cobbled hills around Halifax and Keighley, maybe an echelon-baiting stage around the coast or on the higher plateau, and then a hilly stage like this one. Something for every type of classics rider, and all you'd have to do is change the order of the stages to completely change the dynamic the following year.

Exactly. A Calderdale cobbled climbs stage would cause massive splits and there'd be a good number of DNFs too though. It might have to be the last stage. I think it's only a matter of time before you see Heptonstall, Trooper Lane, Lea Lane etc. in one of these TdeY events. The crowds would be immense.

Fantastic day's racing today. God's own county delivers again.

armchairclimber said:
Libertine Seguros said:
Pricey_sky said:

Exactly. A Calderdale cobbled climbs stage would cause massive splits and there'd be a good number of DNFs too though. It might have to be the last stage. I think it's only a matter of time before you see Heptonstall, Trooper Lane, Lea Lane etc. in one of these TdeY events. The crowds would be immense.

Fantastic day's racing today. God's own county delivers again.

You don't need Trooper Lane, the thing about the North York Moors that makes it such a tough place is that there is no real respite, so many little kickups sapping the legs, the exposed tops of the moors make a great place for Echelons with the right wind.

Sky messes up by not having Moscon or Nordhaug siy on TV and Turgis quick enough

Sure you don't need Trooper Lane, but it would be nice, hey?

You don't even need to go to Halifax, here's a quickly thrown together potential nationals circuit / stage finishing circuit in Keighley, 17km almost exactly with two short and nasty cobbled climbs, and a finish on a nice wide open road with a safe run-in:

2ah70uv.png

First climb is Hainworth Lane:
Hainworth_-_Hainworth_Lane_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1272794.jpg

Second is Thwaites Brow:
087344_d890481d.jpg

Attrition would be huge.

maltiv said:
HelloDolly said:

What utter bull...SKY know who was strongest ...Roche was strongest on climbs ...If maybe you were not so biased you'd see it...... Both Nordaugh & Roche were told to attack on final climbs (se SKY report) but Roche went as he was strongest . Nordaugh couldn't catch Vockleir & Turgis when he tried on the 2nd last climb and fell back

And last year Nordaugh beat Vockleur as he had Deignan chasing everything for him...Deignan practically handed it to him. I am not denying Moscon is a big talent but if he were the strongest SKY would have made him leader ...there is no sentiment in the team when it comes to winning

I am also not denying that Roche messed the ending but he was still strongest on climbs and made the crucial attacks

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Re:

PremierAndrew said:
There really is potential for a one day race that quickly rises to prominence like Strade Bianche in the UK. Great crowds, variety of terrain and dependably terrible weather makes for a great one day race

Would be amazing to see a race like that evolve in the UK. The World Tour could do with a British race.

HelloDolly said:
maltiv said:
HelloDolly said:

What utter bull...SKY know who was strongest ...Roche was strongest on climbs ...If maybe you were not so biased you'd see it...... Both Nordaugh & Roche were told to attack on final climbs (se SKY report) but Roche went as he was strongest . Nordaugh couldn't catch Vockleir & Turgis when he tried on the 2nd last climb and fell back

And last year Nordaugh beat Vockleur as he had Deignan chasing everything for him...Deignan practically handed it to him. I am not denying Moscon is a big talent but if he were the strongest SKY would have made him leader ...there is no sentiment in the team when it comes to winning

I am also not denying that Roche messed the ending but he was still strongest on climbs and made the crucial attacks
Interesting statements. Did you not watch Amstel this year? Sky sacrificed their entire team for Kwiat, who was nowhere near top form. Or what about Vuelta 2011, they didn't exactly ride for their strongest rider from the start...

Interesting statements. Did you not watch Amstel this year? Sky sacrificed their entire team for Kwiat, who was nowhere near top form. Or what about Vuelta 2011, they didn't exactly ride for their strongest rider from the start...

Kwait was not strong at all but SKY had other cards to play . Today they had more than one as well

As for Vuelta 2011 ...that was Sir Wiggo ...that was about something else altogether

Finally
1. No one stoped Nordaug catching Vockleur ,etc
2. Even if Moscon or Nordaugh were up there with Vockleur alone I doubt either would have done better. Tommy V is a master of this type of racing
3. If you don't think Roche was the best climber in the race well you didn't see the last climbs and I am not going to spend any more time trying to persuade you otherwise. Some people have a very myopic vision

I have to admit that today was the only day I watched but was blown away by how good it was, the steep climbs, the echelons over the exposed moors, wow, and the amazing aerial photography, am I correct in saying that the helicopter shots were TdF standard, not crappy Tour of Britain level? And was it better than the ToB because of ASO's involvement?

Today's terrain would make an amazing one day race, totally enjoyed today!

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

elfed68 said:
I have to admit that today was the only day I watched but was blown away by how good it was, the steep climbs, the echelons over the exposed moors, wow, and the amazing aerial photography, am I correct in saying that the helicopter shots were TdF standard, not crappy Tour of Britain level? And was it better than the ToB because of ASO's involvement?

Today's terrain would make an amazing one day race, totally enjoyed today!
Exactly.

Re:

HelloDolly said:

Kwait was not strong at all but SKY had other cards to play . Today they had more than one as well

As for Vuelta 2011 ...that was Sir Wiggo ...that was about something else altogether

Finally
2. Even if Moscon or Nordaugh were up there with Vockleur alone I doubt either would have done better. Tommy V is a master of this type of racing
3. If you don't think Roche was the best climber in the race well you didn't see the last climbs and I am not going to spend any more time trying to persuade you otherwise. Some people have a very myopic vision

Agree with these points. Nordhaug got within a few seconds of the Voeckler chase group but couldn't bridge. Whilst Naudhaug and Moscon could not go with the front 5 on the penultimate climb when it all split up.

Pricey_sky said:
HelloDolly said:

Finally

Agree with these points. Nordhaug got within a few seconds of the Voeckler chase group but couldn't bridge. Whilst Naudhaug and Moscon could not go with the front 5 on the penultimate climb when it all split up.
Uhh, Moscon had already ridden like 20 consecutive kilometers at the front at that point.

I'm not saying Nordhaug was stronger than Roche, but to me it's pretty obvious that Moscon was. The argument that Roche rode faster than Moscon on that penultimate climb (by the way, Moscon was faster on the last) is almost completely irrelevant when you take into account the work the Italian had done beforehand.

Ah Nico.
Don't lead out( u've done this before in vuelta in group of five-u were fifth). Don't look back metronomically and allow ur opponent to get the jump. Oh, and don't continue to ride such a stupid, massive gear in last few hundred metres of a race. Apart from that, u nailed it.

TRENDING THREADS