• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 500 Tests/Never tested positive lie

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Perhaps another outcome of this research could be the peripheral reasoning that if USADA is the officially designated testing agent for US riders and LA wasn't tested more often than other US riders (pro, amateur and elite), the 'witch hunt' and 'vendetta' arguments become moot?

USADA just doing their job.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Lance must be referring to 300+ tests conducted by Don Catlin in that comprehensive test regime they were doing. You know, that fair and open process, the one that was revealed to the world at Interbike? The grandiose plan to where data was to be posted on the web and samples were to be frozen for future reference? A plan that comprehensive must have accumulated 300+ tests by now. What happened to that plan anyway? :rolleyes:

pedaling squares said:
Lance must be referring to 300+ tests conducted by Don Catlin in that comprehensive test regime they were doing. You know, that fair and open process, the one that was revealed to the world at Interbike? The grandiose plan to where data was to be posted on the web and samples were to be frozen for future reference? A plan that comprehensive must have accumulated 300+ tests by now. What happened to that plan anyway? :rolleyes:

Yes you're right. The one where he sat Tyler Phinney next to him. Smart move by Tyler - is it illegal to use children in that manner? Great move by Don. Gained so much credibility from that one!

More Strides than Rides said:
Are you sure? From that USADA search thing

This search will also include tests conducted on U.S. athletes training internationally by other testing entities when the request for the test was made by USADA. This search will not yield results conducted on U.S. athletes by other testing entities, if the test was not requested or initiated by USADA, or tests conducted by USADA at the request of other sport organizations, international federations or individuals.

Maybe I don't know enough about the hierarchy/relationship of WADA and national testing agencies

I believe that what RR has stated, and I have tried to clarify, is completely consistent with the above quote from USADA.

Moreover, the actual practice and responsibility of AFLD other than as contracted by UCI should be considered. AFLD is not the de facto testing authority for the Tour. This is something that has been hotly disputed, particularly when the UCI stepped in during 2010, for example.

Oddly, Lance was a participant that year.

That decision by the UCI represented a direct conflict of interest and reflective of why WADA was created in the first place (i.e. the Festina Affair which proved that Sporting Organizations could not police themselves).

"Cycling's premier event, the Tour de France, begins on Saturday. But even before the first stage gets underway in the Dutch city of Rotterdam, scientists claim that the Tour's anti-doping test are flawed and some riders have found new ways of cheating."

The year before that, 2009, the responsibility was 'shared' between the UCI and AFLD. You may recall that in that instance - which coincided with the first of the Hope is Lost return - the UCI had implemented a priority system but specifically denied requests to check for EPO, etc., on the high-priority targets.

Last year the AFLD and the UCI shared responsibility for testing but, as the BBC reports, there was friction between the two bodies with the French claiming that the UCI had given some top riders preferential treatment and had relied only on screening samples rather than backing them up with customs information and police investigations.

The UCI made a similarly controversial move at the 2011 Tour de California, where it was the sole anti-doping authority.

When the AFLD is contracted, it may provide OOC tests just prior to the Tour as well as during the Tour. But, since their mandate comes from the UCI, any test count from the UCI should be fully inclusive of these tests.

With respect to other OOC tests, it is useful to reflect on the fact that Lance's 'European' residence moved to Girona, Spain. A location reknowned for its high quality 'training routes' (Doper speak for needle friendly). Spain, as we know from the Contador case, does not even have a separate ADA. Obviously the AFLD will not be calling on Lance in Spain.

Dave.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Well, we should obviously include all of his positives. I had no idea the number of positives was that high.

;)

The list you linked begs more scrutiny.

First, of the 27 Passport tests, eleven (almost half) were not tested for EPO.

Why not? Why was the UCI so selective in what tests were run on an athlete with Lance's history of suspicion? It is not like Lance was pack fodder and had no possibility of affecting classification results.

I wish I could be that creative with what I report, or not, on my tax return.

Wouldn't the time period from the end of April through to the start of the Tour be exactly when the riders might be extracting/re-infusing/topping up with EPO? All those samples, and no EPO test?

The next strange thing are the results just before, during and after the TdF. Those are some wild swings in these numbers. I'd like to jack my HCT up by 7.5 points in two weeks!Dave.

i have, it's pretty exhilarating !!!!

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
A quick question - what if he is counting urine tests and blood tests separately. In other words, if at a doping control, he pee'd into a cup and they took a blood sample, he might be saying that is 2 tests.

If you counted the "tests" this way, what total would that make? Still way less than 500, but maybe 250 - 300 odd??

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
The Joker said:
A quick question - what if he is counting urine tests and blood tests separately. In other words, if at a doping control, he pee'd into a cup and they took a blood sample, he might be saying that is 2 tests.

If you counted the "tests" this way, what total would that make? Still way less than 500, but maybe 250 - 300 odd??

They seldom do both at the same time. urine is after a stage and blood is in the morning

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Lance's paid liars have invent the myth that lance has passed 500 tests. That he never tested positive. That he was the most tested athlete in history. They offer no evidence to support it, because it is a lie. One that is rather easy to prove wrong

You can look up the WADA testing history of any American rider on the USADA website.

http://www.usada.org/athlete-test-history

Since 2001 Lance has been tested 29 times. By comparison

George Hincapie 38
levi Leipheimer 40
Kirsten Armstrong 66

In 2004 le Equipe published Armstrong's UCI testing figures

* 1999 : 15 contrôles urinaires conventionnels (1 positif à la triamcinolone acétonide - corticoïdes)
* 2000 : 12 contrôles urinaires conventionnels
* 2001 : 10 contrôles urinaires conventionnels, dont 5 avec détection de l'EPO
* 2002 : 9 contrôles urinaires conventionnels incluant la recherche d'HES, dont 8 avec détection de l'EPO
* 2003 : 9 contrôles urinaires conventionnels incluant la recherche d'HES, dont 6 avec détection de l'EPO
* 2004 : 8 contrôles urinaires conventionnels incluant la recherche d'HES, dont 7 avec détection de l'EPO . 1 contrôle sanguin de détection des hémoglobines de synthèse .

Total UCI tests: 63

Total tests: 92 ........Nowhere close to 500 tests.

The number of tests is not the only lie. He also likes to pretend he has never tested positive

It started early with Chris Carmicheal and Cortisone. It is no surprise that Armstrong, Ernie Lachuga, Greg Strock, and Erich Kaiter all came down with illness strongly linked to Cortisone use. Strock and Kaiter eventually reached a financial settlement with Carmicheal and won their lawsuit with USAC

Strock Speaks

Six years later, Strock case comes to court

During the 90's Armstrong had multiple adverse testosterone ratios,
which were ignored by USA cycling

"a 9.0-to-1 ratio from a sample collected on June 23, 1993; a 7.6-to-1
from July 7, 1994; and a 6.5-to-1 from June 4, 1996. Most people have
a ratio of 1-to-1. Prior to 2005, any ratio above 6.0-to-1 was
considered abnormally high and evidence of doping; in 2005 that ratio
was lowered to 4.0-to-1."

Sports Illustrated reports new information on Lance Armstrong - More Sports - SI.com

Anyone who knows about cancer knows that Lance's Hcg levels would have been elevated, but never showed up in any UCI tests. Wonder why?

In 1999 the UCI developed a new test for glucocorticosteroids and Lance was one of the first to test positive at the Tour. The UCI let him invent a fake, backdated, TUE and said the amount was below the limit. If you refer to the UCI banned list from 1999 to present glucocorticosteroids, the class of drug to which covers triamcinolone acétonide, do not have a threshold level. They are banned outright. Thanks UCI

Just like the extremely minute presence of clenbuterol that sanctioned Contador.

Triamcinolone acétonide is not a synthetic steroid that required the t/e ratio initial test to further test if the sample contained a synthetic steroid, a la Floyd Landis. Floyd was 11:1 and well in excess of the 4:1 threshold level

Of course there are also the 1999 samples that tested positive for EPO

Michael Ashenden | NY Velocity - New York bike racing culture, news and events

Then there was the positive for EPO a the 2001 Tour de Swiss that was ignored up by the UCI in exchange for a nice "Donation"

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hamilton-alleges-armstrong-epo-positive-cover-up-on-60-minutes

USADA said that Armstrong blood tests from 2009 and 2010 showed clear signs of manipulation and EPO use. This during the same period the UCI ignored 5 Biopassport positives and refused to share Armstrong's Biopassport testing results with WADA

Anti-Doping Officials Step Up Cycling Oversight - WSJ.com

We looked at this originally a while back here:

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=9953&highlight=tests

and there may be some other numbers discussed in it, but nice re-cap and update RR . . . LA's 500+ numbers were always just a bunch of BS.

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
JA.Tri said:
How many, if any tests were conducted while Lance participated in triathlons/duathlons?

He was not in the out of competition testing by USADA until he got back from Panama. I raised a big stink because he wasnt tested on the podium at Panama 70.3 after another pro tweeted about it. I spoke with multiple pro triathletes via twitter, email, etc. and tried to raise the profile of the issue as best I could. ITU (triathlons counterpart to the UCI which is a lot less dirty) eventually stepped in and basically forced WTC to test lance at each race.

He returned from Panama to learn he was back in USADA's OOC testing. He was summarily tested at the next few races and Im assuming had a couple USADA tests. So if I had to guess, he's been tested 5 times in 2012.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
So what's the total now?
Someone should tell this clown: http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2012/jul/06/lance-armstrong-should-be-celebrated-not-hated/

Not that it matters much. San Angelo is the exit sphincter city of the exit sphincter state. Doubtful that the writer's words get much dissemination. Still, I cannot wait until a journalist actually grows the nuts to challenge the claim to LA's face.
In two years with him, there was only one OOC test that I knew of, and he missed it.

This is good but the information needs to be condensed into a form that can be easily passed around. For clueing in the mainstream press, the best option might be to put everything into an article formated as a press release. There are a lot of free press release sites. The best chance to have it hit Google news and be picked up by MSM is PRWeb. The standard release is $160 and the usual is $200. We could chip in.

Another is option is we hold a contest to see who can design the best infographic. Those are easy distributable over social media.

BroDeal said:
This is good but the information needs to be condensed into a form that can be easily passed around. For clueing in the mainstream press, the best option might be to put everything into an article formated as a press release. There are a lot of free press release sites. The best chance to have it hit Google news and be picked up by MSM is PRWeb. The standard release is $160 and the usual is $200. We could chip in.

Another is option is we hold a contest to see who can design the best infographic. Those are easy distributable over social media.

DimSpace who did the last graphic on Armstrong would do an excellent job of an infographic. He's really good at that sort of thing.

http://www.cyclismas.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/full-LA-chart-graphic.jpg

TexPat said:
So what's the total now?
Someone should tell this clown: http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2012/jul/06/lance-armstrong-should-be-celebrated-not-hated/

Not that it matters much. San Angelo is the exit sphincter city of the exit sphincter state. Doubtful that the writer's words get much dissemination. Still, I cannot wait until a journalist actually grows the nuts to challenge the claim to LA's face.
In two years with him, there was only one OOC test that I knew of, and he missed it.

Hi TexPat,

Actually, that 'missed' test should be entered as an official test as he purposefully missed it. As I recall, you have some of the details.

BroDeal said:

It can be done for much lower cost than that. The bigger issue is actually 'who' would release it? Though, I would anticipate that if anyone wants to drive eyeballs to their blog this would be a good way to do that.

Regards, David

May 26, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:

It needs someone like David Walsh to get into print along with an article, or L'Equipe for the Euro press. What about Wall Street Journal? Who wrote about Armstrong for them? If they did an article about the 500 tests myth it would be a blow to the PR battle being waged by Armstrong and a big loss to his most tested athlete BS.

The Joker said:

Maybe he's counting the two tubes drawn at each control as two tests.

JRTinMA said:
Maybe he's counting the two tubes drawn at each control as two tests.

My theory is that tests performed or analysed by Ferrari also count as tests. He checked to see whether he was still clean with professional equipment. And he was. Ferrari didn't declare him positive. I totally believe he totals 500 tests, blood plus pee, but the results will not be with WADA.
Also, be sure that he counts blood plus pee as 2. That's a given.

Here’s an updated estimate of the tests:

1992-1998: 38 professional victories

2000-2009: 29 USADA tests

1999-2005: 86 tests in TDF (yellow jersey + stage wins)
16 tests in DL (leader’s jersey + KOM/podium + points jersey + stage wins)
4 tests in TDS (leader’s jersey/stage wins)
12 victories in other European races (this includes 6 in Criteriums which might not have had testing; does not include 3 in TdG as they would be included in USADA tests)
2000 Olympics (would he have been tested more than once then? I remember Bolt complaining in 2008 of all the tests he had to undergo. Maybe sprinters are tested after every heat when they move on?)

2009: 3 tests in TDF (random; TTT; final podium)

2010: 2d, TDS

anything else in 2009-2010 I missed? (I remember his squawking about how he was singled out for a random test before the 2009 TDF).

total of 190

also 19 top 3 non-winning finishes, 1993-2005. Not clear to me how many of these would be tested.

What remains to be filled out:
1) OOC tests. Will have to estimate. My guess is they might average one per three months, beginning when? Did they have them in the 90s? Let’s say they began in 1999. And some of these would be covered in the USADA tests. Probably around twenty as a generous estimate?
2) Passports. Didn’t have them from 99-05, so only 2009-10. Ten would be a very generous estimate, I think.
3) Though I would not count these as doping tests, LA could claim that the HT test every rider has to undergo before the TDF is also a test.

D-Queued said:
According to WADA they were not, and WADA is the definitive anti-doping body.

If a Team (Festina) or a Doctor (Ferrari, Fuentes, ...), or other known needle pusher (Carmichael/USOC) instigates their own 'anti-doping' tests, these would not qualify either unless WADA blessed them.

But, while they don't really count, it makes perfect sense that we have all included them to try and rationalize the 500 test overstatement. I am not arguing about that, just that they always deserve an asterisk.

Again, if I were a pro I'd count them, and denying they're doping tests would (IMO) hurt the argument put forth in this thread.

Merckx index said:
Here’s an updated estimate of the tests:

2000 Olympics (would he have been tested more than once then? I remember Bolt complaining in 2008 of all the tests he had to undergo. Maybe sprinters are tested after every heat when they move on?)

anything else in 2009-2010 I missed? (I remember his squawking about how he was singled out for a random test before the 2009 TDF).

What remains to be filled out:
1) OOC tests. Will have to estimate. My guess is they might average one per three months, beginning when? Did they have them in the 90s? Let’s say they began in 1999. And some of these would be covered in the USADA tests. Probably around twenty as a generous estimate?
2) Passports. Didn’t have them from 99-05, so only 2009-10. Ten would be a very generous estimate, I think.
3) Though I would not count these as doping tests, LA could claim that the HT test every rider has to undergo before the TDF is also a test.

Yes, Lance was also a member of the 1992 and 1996 Olympic Teams. He is one of the Olympic athletes implicated in Wade Exum's evidence on USOC coverups of doping positives (Testosterone in the case of Lance). Starting with the three apparent positives, there would have been at least three tests and as many as two dozen tests (approximately two dozen tests between 1990 and 2000 according to Don Caitlin) that could be counted in 1992, 1996 or 2000.

"In 1999, USA Cycling sent a formal request to Catlin for past test results -- specifically, testosterone-epitestosterone ratios -- for a cyclist identified only by his drug-testing code numbers. A source with knowledge of the request says that the cyclist was Armstrong. In a letter responding to those requests, Catlin informed USA Cycling that his lab could not recover five of the cyclist's test results. Of the results that could be found, "three stand out," SI reports: "a 9.0-to-1 ratio from a sample collected on June 23, 1993; a 7.6-to-1 from July 7, 1994; and a 6.5-to-1 from June 4, 1996. ..."

OOC Tests - yes, your estimate is correct (4 per year as target). They started after USADA was formed (2000). The count for these is provided in the USADA statistics (29 total tests by USADA).

The HT test is arguably more of an anti-doping test than the Bio Passport program. A reading over 50% would get you disqualified.

Dave.

Sports Writers emails

Email not the best for a press release but might get the newsrooms on the scent... stench:

WSJ:

Reed Albergotti at reed.albergotti@wsj.com

Vanessa O'Connell at vanessa.o'connell@wsj.com

Sunday Times:

sportletters@sunday-times.co.uk

No email found for David Walsh maybe david.walsh@sunday-times.co.uk

NYT:

Twitter: @julietmacur

Send an E-Mail to Juliet Macur

Sports Illustrated:

Austin Murphy

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/.element/ssi/story/4.1/writers/austin_murphy/mailbag.html?height=185&width=800

May 26, 2010
Visit site
TubularBills said:
Email not the best for a press release but might get the newsrooms on the scent... stench:

WSJ:

Reed Albergotti at reed.albergotti@wsj.com

Vanessa O'Connell at vanessa.o'connell@wsj.com

Sunday Times:

sportletters@sunday-times.co.uk

No email found for David Walsh maybe david.walsh@sunday-times.co.uk

Nice one Tubular :)

NYT:

Twitter: @julietmacur

Send an E-Mail to Juliet Macur

Sports Illustrated:

Austin Murphy

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/.element/ssi/story/4.1/writers/austin_murphy/mailbag.html?height=185&width=800

Nice one TubularBills :)

Can we make a categorized year by year summary? It would be nice so it is easier to put in graphical form.

1992 (2)
* NON-TDF WINS: 2 - 0 (races without testing) = 2

-1st, Stage 4a, Vuelta Galicia, Spain
-1st, GP Sanson-Marostica, Italy

1993 (11)
* NON-TDF WINS: 11 - 0 = 11

-1st, World Professional Road Championship, Oslo, Norway
-1st, Stage 8 Tour de France: Verdun
-1st, Stage 3: Tour Of Sweden: Helmstad
-1st, USPRO National Championships
-1st, Prologue TT, Wheeling (TESTING?)
-1st, Stage 1, Wheeling & Final General Classification (TESTING?)
-1st, KMart Classic, West Virginia (TESTING?)
-1st, Trofeo Laigueglia
-1st Stage 5, Tour du Pont: Beech Mountain (TESTING ?)
-1st Overall, Tour Of America (TESTING?)

1994 (3)
* NON-TDF WINS: 3 - 0 = 3

-1st, Stage 7: Beech Mountain Tour du Pont (TESTING?)
-1st, Thrift Drug Classic (TESTING?)

1995 (9)
* NON-TDF WINS: 9 - 0 = 9

-1st, Stage 18 Tour de France: Limoges
-1st, Clasika San Sebastian World Cup
-1st, Stage 5 Paris-Nice: St. Etienne
-1st, Stage 4, 5 (ITT), 9 + Final General Classification: Tour du Pont (TESTING?)

1996 (8)
* NON-TDF WINS: 8 - 0 = 8

-1st, Fleche Wallone
-1st, five stages & Final General Classification: Tour du Pont (TESTING?)
-1st, Stage 11, Fresca International Series (TESTING?

1997 (0)

1998 (4)
* NON-TDF WINS: 5 - 1 = 4

-1st, Stage 1 + Final General Classification: Tour Of Luxembourg
-1st, Final General Classification: Rheinland Pfalz Rundfart
-1st, Final General Classification: Cascade Classic
-1st, Ride For The Roses Criterium, Austin (NO TESTING)

1999 (15)
* USADA: 0
* TDF: 15 (days in yellow or wins while not in yellow)
* NON-TDF UCI: 15 - 15 = 0
* NON-TDF WINS: 3 - 3 = 0

-1st, Draai van de Kaai Criterium Roosendal, NL (NO TESTING)
-1st, Boxmeer Criterium, NL (NO TESTING)
-1st, Heerlen Criterium, NL (NO TESTING)

2000 (14 or 16?)
* TDF: 12
* NON-TDF UCI: 12 - 12 = 0
* NON-TDF WINS: 2 - 0 = 2

-GP des Nations
-GP Merckx

2001 (12)
* USADA: 2
* TDF: 10
* NON-TDF UCI: 10 - 10 = 0
* NON-TDF WINS: 0 ?

2002 (13?)
* USADA: 1
* TDF: 11
* NON-TDF UCI: 9 - 11 = -2 !!!
* NON-TDF WINS: 3 - 2 = 1

-Final General Classification: GP Midi Libre
-GP Bittburger Nightime Criterium: GER (NO TESTING)
-Stiphout Criterium: NL (NO TESTING)

2003 (10)
* USADA: 1
* TDF: 0 ?
* NON-TDF UCI: 9 - 0 = 9
* NON-TDF WINS: 1 - 1 = 0

-Graz Criterium Austria (NO TESTING)

2004 (18)
* USADA: 5
* TDF: 7
* NON-TDF UCI: 9 - 7 = 2 (includes 1 blood test)
* NON-TDF WINS: 7 - 1 = 6

-Tour of Georgia, 2 stage wins + GC (TESTING?)
-Tour of Languedoc-Roussilon, 1 stage win
-1st, 4th Stage: Volta Algarve Portugal ITT
-Stiphout Criterium: NL (NO TESTING)

2005: (20)
* USADA: 3
* TDF: 17
* NON-TDF UCI: ? - 17 = ?
* NON-TDF WINS: ?

2006: (0)

2007 (0)

2008 (2)
* USADA: 2
* TDF: 0
* NON-TDF UCI: ?
* BIOPASS: ?
* NON-TDF WINS: 0

2009 (10)
* USADA: 6
* TDF: 3 (random; TTT; final podium)
* NON-TDF WINS: 1

-Giro TTT

20010 (10)
* USADA: 9
* TDF: ?
* NON-TDF WINS: 2 - 1 = 1

-Nevada City Classic (NO TESTING?)
-2nd overall Tour de Suisse

20011 (0)
* NON-TDF WINS: 0;

20012 (2)
* NON-TDF UCI: 0
* NON-TDF WINS: 2 - 0 = 2

- Florida 70.3 Triathlon
- Hawaii 70.3 Triathlon

TOTAL: 163

Add:
33 biopass tests between Aug 8, 2008 and July 9, 2009 (includes USADA tests?)
? biopass tests beyond July 9, 2009
13 DL leader's jerseys
1 DL KOM jersey
1 DL points jersey
4 TDS leader's jerseys
1993 - 2005: 19 2nds or 3rds (some at races with no testing)