• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Amazing Race to Most Top10 Without a Win

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Current standings
13 - J. Almeida
10 - G. Van Avermaet
9 - A. Greipel, M. Landa, B. Coquard
8 - A. Vlasov, N. Schultz, P. Ackermann, S. Aniołkowski
7 - N. Politt, L. Hamilton, N. Quintana, G. Lonardi
6 - N. Bouhanni, E. Bernal, F. Senechal, J. Stewart, G. Ciccone, R. Guerreiro, H. Carthy, L. Mozzato, M. Fabbro
5 - P. Barbier, K. Halvorsen, B. McNulty, L.L. Sánchez, J. Degenkolb, M. Kwiatkowski, M. Mohorič, A. Turgis, S. Higuita, M. Matthews, M. Trentin, M. Sarreau, C. Harper, I. Schelling, B. Hermans, R. Barbier, V. Albanese, Je. Herrada, R. Bardet
4 - J. Aberasturi, N. Oliveira, K. Main,, J. Romo, R. Porte, E. Theuns, G. Thomas, F. Fiorelli, M. Mørkøv, D. Teuns, S. Consonni, R. Molard, D. Godon, T. Benoot, D. van Poppel, H. Hofstetter, N. Tesfatsion, E. Grosu, F. Tagliani, A. Kristoff, J. Fuglsang, J. Knox, S.L. Henao, D. Cima

Reactions: Andy262
Current standings
13 - J. Almeida
10 - G. Van Avermaet
9 - A. Greipel, P. Ackermann, S. Aniołkowski, M. Landa, B. Coquard, L. Hamilton
8 - A. Vlasov, R. Porte, N. Schultz, Q. Pacher
7 - N. Politt, G. Lonardi
6 - N. Bouhanni, E. Bernal, J. Aberasturi, F. Senechal, D. van Poppel, N. Oliveira, J. Stewart, G. Ciccone, R. Guerreiro, M. Mørkøv, H. Carthy, F. Masnada, L. Mozzato, M. Fabbro, I. Van Wilder, Je. Herrada
5 - A. Vuillermoz, P. Barbier, K. Halvorsen, K. Main, B. McNulty, B. O'Connor, L.L. Sánchez, P. Bevin, J. Degenkolb, M. Kwiatkowski, M. Mohorič, A. Turgis, S. Higuita, M. Matthews, M. Trentin, M. Sarreau, C. Harper, I. Schelling, B. Hermans, R. Barbier, V. Albanese, E. Grosu, J. Restrepo, R. Bardet

I thought it would be interesting to see what the biggest streak would be of not winning because of how Almeida won this competition last year and is currently at 38 Top-10 placings without a win. But then I figured this would just be won by some rider who was decent but never or almost never got a professional victory (Jurgen Van den Broeck comes to mind).

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I thought it would be interesting to see what the biggest streak would be of not winning because of how Almeida won this competition last year and is currently at 38 Top-10 placings without a win. But then I figured this would just be won by some rider who was decent but never or almost never got a professional victory (Jurgen Van den Broeck comes to mind).

For anyone looking to trawl these: https://www.procyclingstats.com/statistics/riders/best-rider-without-win

(JVDB has two career wins)

If Ezio Cecchie truly never won a professional bike race, then he is the God of this competition, and it must be renamed after him forthwith. Runner-up twice at the Giro, either side of WW2, and by the narrowest margin ever! Almeida can only dream of such dedication to the craft.

I can only guess that there must have been some races in his life that he actually did win, but weren't of a high enough profile to register on PCS and other record-keeping sites. But on the other hand, surely those databases have been compiled by people geeky enough to have trawled the annals of Gazzetta Dello Sport, l'Equipe, Het Volk etc, and any race that (dis)qualifies here would be counted, right?

If Ezio Cecchie truly never won a professional bike race, then he is the God of this competition, and it must be renamed after him forthwith. Runner-up twice at the Giro, either side of WW2, and by the narrowest margin ever! Almeida can only dream of such dedication to the craft.

I can only guess that there must have been some races in his life that he actually did win, but weren't of a high enough profile to register on PCS and other record-keeping sites. But on the other hand, surely those databases have been compiled by people geeky enough to have trawled the annals of Gazzetta Dello Sport, l'Equipe, Het Volk etc, and any race that (dis)qualifies here would be counted, right?
I ended up going down a rabbit hole trying to find out if he’d ever won a race. Just about every archival site paints the same picture as PCS... but finally I found a little Dutch article about him which claims that he did have one victory, the 1946 Coppa Catarzi

I ended up going down a rabbit hole trying to find out if he’d ever won a race. Just about every archival site paints the same picture as PCS... but finally I found a little Dutch article about him which claims that he did have one victory, the 1946 Coppa Catarzi
So now I'm googling the Coppa Catarzi and finding only references in Dutch articles to Enzo Cecchi... and Amerigo Agati, who apparently finished 5th in the 1946 Coppa Catarzi but never did enough to attract the scrutiny of PCS...

So now I'm googling the Coppa Catarzi and finding only references in Dutch articles to Enzo Cecchi... and Amerigo Agati, who apparently finished 5th in the 1946 Coppa Catarzi but never did enough to attract the scrutiny of PCS...
https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider.php?id=178606

This guy?

I suppose that even if we had access to better records online, it would be difficult to answer this question historically because the current definition of a pro race is both recent and quite arbitrary. Loads of races these days are “professional” by the standards of most sports, ie have prize money and are contested by many full time paid athletes, but don’t count as “pro races”. In earlier periods that distinction didn’t exist.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider.php?id=178606

This guy?

I suppose that even if we had access to better records online, it would be difficult to answer this question historically because the current definition of a pro race is both recent and quite arbitrary. Loads of races these days are “professional” by the standards of most sports, ie have prize money and are contested by many full time paid athletes, but don’t count as “pro races”. In earlier periods that distinction didn’t exist.
Yes, that guy. I must've been spelling it wrong.

And yes, loads of races these days have cash prizes, and are contested by full-time athletes, but I'm sure it's been that way as long as there have been bike races, and the riders themselves, and the guys covering races for the continental sports papers, knew exactly which races were legit ("This Milano to San Remo race is really catching on with the top racers") and which weren't (whatever the 1946 equivalent of the Japan Cup was...)

Current standings
16 - J. Almeida
11 - Q. Pacher
10 - A. Vlasov, G. Van Avermaet, S. Aniołkowski
9 - P. Ackermann, M. Landa, B. Coquard, L. Hamilton
8 - R. Porte, N. Oliveira, G. Ciccone, A. Vuillermoz, F. Gaviria, N. Schultz, N. Politt, R. Barbier, G. Lonardi
7 - A. Hoehn, B. Hermans, J. Lastra, F. Fiorelli, H. Carthy
6 - N. Bouhanni, J. Aberasturi, J. Piccoli, F. Senechal, D. van Poppel, K. Halvorsen, K. Main, P. Bevin, M. Sarreau, J. Stewart, J. Romo, A. Kristoff, J. Degenkolb, R. Guerreiro, M. Mørkøv, F. Masnada, L. Mozzato, M. Fabbro, I. Van Wilder, V. Albanese, R. Bardet
5 - D. Cimolai, P. Barbier, B. McNulty, B. O'Connor, L.L. Sánchez, M. Kwiatkowski, M. Mohorič, A. Turgis, S. Higuita, M. Matthews, M. Trentin, A. Pasqualon, J. García, C. Harper, I. Schelling, R. Adriá, H. Hofstetter, G. Vermeersch, E. Grosu, D. Caruso

TRENDING THREADS