• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Annemiek van Vleuten thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Intrigued to read that AVV is literally, as well as nominatively, from Vleuten. It is a place, and she was born there! Did the family not move in all the generations since they started using surnames?

Yeah, so many others whose names are just big, fat, lies!
Take Taco van der Hoorn; neither a taco, nor from the horn.

I knew today was going to be good when I got up this morning & saw van Vleuten had won the women's TT.

To put her win into context, I think we "normies" have all daydreamed at some point about doing the Olympics & winning gold (in whatever sport), so when you're a real Olympian, you cross the line, raise your arms & think you've won (only to be second & have the whole of social media burst out laughing) in real life, I had to feel bad for her.

So the TT was a great victory after what happened on Sunday & it was nice to see her smiling. The two champs of the day:

I knew today was going to be good when I got up this morning & saw van Vleuten had won the women's TT.

To put her win into context, I think we "normies" have all daydreamed at some point about doing the Olympics & winning gold (in whatever sport), so when you're a real Olympian, you cross the line, raise your arms & think you've won (only to be second & have the whole of social media burst out laughing) in real life, I had to feel bad for her.

So the TT was a great victory after what happened on Sunday & it was nice to see her smiling. The two champs of the day:

And now that's she's lost out on two possible gold medals (maybe even three), because of mistakes made by herself and/or others while being one of if not the strongest rider in the races, it would have been very unlucky if she hadn't become Olympic champion.

This might also influence whether or not she'll continue her career after next season. Of course there are still races she hasn't won, like Fleche Wallonne, Amstel Gold Race, the upcoming Paris-Roubaix and next year's Tour de France Femmes, but this must have been a huge relief for her given the pressure she has been under.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Intrigued to read that AVV is literally, as well as nominatively, from Vleuten. It is a place, and she was born there! Did the family not move in all the generations since they started using surnames?
They must have moved away at some point in order to acquire the name, then moved back.
If you stay in London, Jack (from) London isn't at all distinctive; there must have been dozens of them. It's only when you move away from London that Jack London becomes distinctive enough to be used for identification.

They must have moved away at some point in order to acquire the name, then moved back.
If you stay in London, Jack (from) London isn't at all distinctive; there must have been dozens of them. It's only when you move away from London that Jack London becomes distinctive enough to be used for identification.
...or it's just a small place. Leonardo spent most of his early life in Florence, 20 miles from Vinci. It's definitely possible that Annemiek's great-great-great-grandad was one of the many (for example) Joops knocking around the Utrecht metro area, and the other Joop is actually the ancestor of Millhouse van Houten from the Simpsons.

She lost an earring earlier this week given to her by her late father 20 years ago. Someone later claimed to have found, but that was apparently just a prank. But the manufacturer has offered to make a replica, if the original doesn't show up.

I don't know if there has been a decision yet, but local politicans have been discussing creating and naming a bike path in either Vleuten, where she lived until she was four years old, or in Utrecht after her.

• Wow
Reactions: noob and Rackham
She lost an earring earlier this week given to her by her late father 20 years ago. Someone later claimed to have found, but that was apparently just a prank. But the manufacturer has offered to make a replica, if the original doesn't show up.

Okay, that's a terrible prank! I assume it was the one she was seen pointing at when she won the World Championships two years ago.

I don't know if there has been a decision yet, but local politicans have been discussing creating and naming a bike path in either Vleuten, where she lived until she was four years old, or in Utrecht after her.

Why not a bike path between Vleuten and Utrecht?

Okay, that's a terrible prank! I assume it was the one she was seen pointing at when she won the World Championships two years ago.

It was, and it seems it still hasn't been found :cry:

Why not a bike path between Vleuten and Utrecht?

Yes, that is a fantastic idea. Otherwise there are also 100 km in Yorkshire which could deserve to bear her name.