• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Ashes

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
auscyclefan94 said:
I am turning to the darkside! BARMY ARMY! BARMY ARMY! BARMY ARMY! BARMY ARMY!

The Barmy army are going nuts!:p

Yes, but it's not as satisfying as 2005 when we beat a proper Australian side and not the likes of Johnson et al. I think only Hussey would have a chance of getting in your 2005 team?

Having said that, I reckon our current team would give your dominant team of the late 90's/early '00's a run for its money.

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
This Aussie ashes performance must rank as the worst I've ever seen them perform at anything sporting ever. It's like watching England when they were useless.

As for which Aussies would get into their 2005 team, only Hussey is a possibility. As for the England team, I'd take Vaughan, Flintoff, Simon Jones and Harmisson from 2005; a toss-up between Trescothick and Trott, Hoggard and Anderson likewise.

Of those that played in both series, I'd definitely take the 2005 Pietersen; probably the 2010 Strauss.

it's difficult to compare the batsmen when in 2005, England were facing Warne, McGrath and Lee. In 2010 they are facing park players with no confidence or control.

Which is all a very long winded way of saying that I don't think England are that much better than in 2005; it's just that Australia have fallen off a cliff.

it's quite tricky to compare the England team of 2005 with the present side.
Firstly 2005, England had a 5 man attack as opposed to 4 this time around.

2005 - Openers Strauss & Trescothick - 2010 Strauss & Cook
For me, it has to be the present opening pairing, as good as Banger was, Cook has surpassed all this series.
No.3 2005 - Vaughan - 2010 - Trott. Tricky one, Trott has a good series, but I would give the nod to Vaughan.
Middle Order - 2005, Pietersen, Bell, Flintoff. 2010 - Pietersen, Bell, Collingwood. I think 2005 Pietersen was in better form despite his double hundred in Adelaide. 2010 bell is much better player than 2005. And Freddie would have offered more than Collingwood.

Keeper - 2005 G.Jones - 2010 Prior. Prior, no contest

Spinner - 2005 Giles - 2010 Swann- Again no contest, Swanny.

Pace bowlers - 2005 S.Jones, Harmison & Hoggard. 2010 - Anderson, Tremlett & Bresnan/Finn

Tough call. Jones was superb in 2005, a real shame that he never went onto achieve more. Harmy wasn't at his best in 2005, but was still a threat. Hoggard was the unsung hero in many regards. 2010, Anderson has been superb, leading wicket taker and been a constant threat. Tremlett has surprised me as has Bresnan. Finn needs to work on his line, but remember he is only 21 and still took 13 wickets in the 3 games he played.

For me I have 6 to 5 in favour of 2010. from 2010 Cook,Strauss,Bell,Prior,Swann & Anderson. From 2005 Vaughan,Pietersen,Flintoff,S.Jones,Harmison.

For the Aussies, it's a different matter. 8 of the 2005 side has since retired, leaving only Ponting, Clarke & Hussey, and of those only Hussey has performed this series. And thereby lies Australias problem, how do you replace 8 world class cricketers in one go? You can't. Guys like Warne are once in a lifetime. You could wait another 30 years before a seamer as good as McGrath comes along. The Aussies have too many sqaure pegs in round holes at the moment. Watson is not an opener, likewise Hughes (not at test level) until he learns to move his feet. Smith is not ready for test cricket yet. I have been quite impressed with Beer, and i hope they stick with him for a while. Johnson is too erratic and Hilfenhaus is steady but not much else. On the plus side, Siddle and Haddin have done well and I think Khawaja has huge potential. They need to sort out what to do with Ponting, because i think if he stays as captain then the present team is not going to get any better. But then who replaces him? Clarke isn't the answer.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Strauss
Cook
Vaughn
Trott
Pietersen
Prior
Flintoff
Swann
Harmison
Finn
Anderson

would be my team ^
England have some great youngsters though. Promising.
Australia are gonna struggle for some time.

I can see England winning the next 3 ashes to be honest. Easy win this year.
Hopefully ponting finally gets the boot this year, but who can replace him.. clarke? Mehh. The team misses McGrath a whole lot. And warney. The current bowling line up is a bit of a joke.

Cook
Trescothick
Trott
Vaughan (c)
Pietersen
Flintoff
Prior
Broad
Swann
Jones
Anderson

Ok Broad only really played in 2009 so maybe he doesn't count, but he won that series for you. Plus a bit of batting support as Flintoff and Prior at 6/7 is fairly weak. If it wasn't Broad I'd probably have Tremlett (he looks superb). Jones and Flintoff were the two key bowlers in 2005. Harmison wasn't THAT good apart from the first morning at Lord's and dismissing Clarke just before stumps on Day 3 at Edgbaston. Thinking about it more, maybe Harmy would be ahead of Tremlett. Trescothick ahead of Strauss, both have had rather similar series stats wise I think, but Trescothick had the much tougher conditions. Trott ahead of Vaughan, but Vaughan in at 4 to lead the side (who I rate a better captain than Strauss).

Australia would be -

Watson
Langer
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Gilchrist
Johnson
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath

Hayden had a very bad series in 2005 (got a token century in the last innings at The Oval) so Langer gets in ahead of him. Ponting and Clarke are kind of selected by default - Martyn (although a bit unlucky) was poor in 2005 as was Katich. Ponting and Clarke were decent in 2005 so let's pick them on those efforts alone. The 5 bowlers (although I wouldn't call Johnson a bowler) is kind of explained by the last sentence, simply not enough middle order batsmen to pick if we are basing it only on the 10 tests from the two series.

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Tait ahead of Johnson and Gillespie maybe. What went wrong with him?

I thought Kasparovic was OK too.

Gillespie was pretty shocking in 2005. Johnson ahead of Gillespie on Perth performance alone in my opinion.

Gillespie was on the downward curve in 2005. Tait just was too fragile mentally and physically.

I liked Kasprowicz, he did well in County cricket in England and his style of bowling was well suited to conditions over here.

Johnson is frustrating, you can see that he has all the necessary skills and ability, but he just doesn't put it all together often enough.

Anyone here select Haddin ahead of Gilchrist? Going just by averages, Haddin averaged 45.0 in this series with a hundred and three fifties.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?id=5540;type=series

while Gilchrist averaged 22.62 with a top score of 49 not out. If we say the two bowling attacks are roughly equal then surely Haddin gets the nod? Obviously if you take career stats into account then Gilchrist is the choice.

In fact you could argue Haddin has done better than Prior this series. Their two averages are pretty similar but Haddin has faced tougher and fresher bowlers.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Frosty said:
Anyone here select Haddin ahead of Gilchrist? Going just by averages, Haddin averaged 45.0 in this series with a hundred and three fifties.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?id=5540;type=series

while Gilchrist averaged 22.62 with a top score of 49 not out. If we say the two bowling attacks are roughly equal then surely Haddin gets the nod? Obviously if you take career stats into account then Gilchrist is the choice.

In fact you could argue Haddin has done better than Prior this series. Their two averages are pretty similar but Haddin has faced tougher and fresher bowlers.

Haddin v Gilchrist. I make you absolutely right. Gilchrist was the big Aussie failure in that series. (Career wise, no contest - Gilchrist probably would be in my all time team)

Haddin v Prior. You could argue it either way really. Haddin gets to bat twice a match, but Prior only once. I suspect Prior is the better keeper and Haddin the better batsman.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
It's not just the defeat, but the manner of defeat.
Looks like 3-1 is a cert, with the 3 all being by and innings.........
(and I don't rate England that much)
Could possibly be the worst Aussie team ever.
Agreed except I do rate England very highly.
Roland Rat said:
Yes, but it's not as satisfying as 2005 when we beat a proper Australian side and not the likes of Johnson et al. I think only Hussey would have a chance of getting in your 2005 team?

Having said that, I reckon our current team would give your dominant team of the late 90's/early '00's a run for its money.

I also agree except I think the Australian team would win. Personally I do think England would beat any team in the world atm. They have a great pace attack & an excellent spin bowler. Their top order is very solid with class all the way. I would imagine that Collingwood would be replaced by Eoin Morgan (who is actually irish)

Mambo95 said:
Thanks for turning up Aussies (players, not the crowd - they didn't turn up).

Welcome to the wilderness - we spent at least 12 years there.

In retrospect, this article is hilarious:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/cricket/reasons-why-poms-wont-win/story-e6frey50-1225955985591

That it is. A perfect 10 for getting absolutely nothing right.
I particularly liked the one about Australia having 8 front line, test seemers in the queue.
One can only assuming they are still waiting for the selectors to open up the bargain basement sale.:eek:

Courtesy of the BBC "as it happened" feed:

What do you call a world-class Australian cricketer?

Retired.

What do you call an Aussie with a bottle of Champagne?

A waiter.

What do you call an Australian who can hold a catch?

A fisherman.

Why can no-one drink wine in Australia at the moment?

They haven't got any openers.

What is the difference between Cinderella and the Aussies?

Cinderella knew when to leave the ball.

What do you call an Aussie holding a six inch urn above his head?

The England bowling coach.

:p

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Collingwood got an OBE or whatever it is called in 2005 for winning the ashes and he had an average of 7. Now that he averaged 14 will he be knighted this time?

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Collingwood got an OBE or whatever it is called in 2005 for winning the ashes and he had an average of 7. Now that he averaged 14 will he be knighted this time?

He only played one game in 2005. As Shane Warne put it "An MBE for getting 7 at the Oval".

I think his subsequent career has been largely him trying to justify it (which he certainly has done).

MBEs are strange anyway. In cycling Geraint Thomas and Ed Clancey have one. Wiggins has the much higher CBE. Mark Cavendish and Robert Millar have nothing.

Mambo95 said:
He only played one game in 2005. As Shane Warne put it "An MBE for getting 7 at the Oval".

I think his subsequent career has been largely him trying to justify it (which he certainly has done).

MBEs are strange anyway. In cycling Geraint Thomas and Ed Clancey have one. Wiggins has the much higher CBE. Mark Cavendish and Robert Millar have nothing.

reckon Ponting and the rest of the side should be given MBE's for services to English cricket

TRENDING THREADS