• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The best climbers in the world?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Squire said:
I thought I had picked up most of the CNForum nicknames by now (or rather Hitch nicknames), but a few of these beat me. Scarponi should be in there somewhere, same with Valverde.

lol. Yeah i was taking the **** with some - 162 cm, hydroxenyl Starch, etc.

But all of those you got. The ones you didnt get are there actual nicknames lol apart from the last one.

The undefeated thats Valverdes nickname. Well its his nickname in Spanish - El Imbatido because as a kid he won like every race he ever entered, but i just wrote it in English.

Zapatero was Scarponis Operation Puerto name. A lot of people on here call him that. Its like calling Valverde Piti. Someone on here once went even further and called him El Presidente since Zapatero is the president of Spain, but Zapatero is hard enough. Also someone on here (think Balaverde) calls him boots. Could be that it means boots in Italian (well similar in Spanish so im just guessing)

Finaly Rene is Frank Schlecks middle name. Should have just written " the elder" because "Schleck the elder" is his nickname.

Parrulo said:
frank's nick is rather ambiguous

there are several options tho the most used are:

1- the elder
2- big bro
3- frankie boy <- my favourite tbh :p

But the aim was to as well as having a list, offer a little challenge to work some of them out (for those that can be bothered).

Elder, Big bro and Frankie boy are all obvious (admitidly i was very obvious with Andy and Contador but everyone knows they are in 1 and 2 anyway, and with Gadret and 1 or 2 others.)

But Rene. thats a challenge. Few people know its his middle name ( i only know it cos in a poll i created half a year ago i was putting peoples full names in).

The Hitch said:
But the aim was to as well as having a list, offer a little challenge to work some of them out (for those that can be bothered).

Elder, Big bro and Frankie boy are all obvious (admitidly i was very obvious with Andy and Contador but everyone knows they are in 1 and 2 anyway, and with Gadret and 1 or 2 others.)

But Rene. thats a challenge. Few people know its his middle name ( i only know it cos in a poll i created half a year ago i was putting peoples full names in).

tbh i took the guess by elimination as he was clearly a name that shouldn't be missing on a top 20 :p

El Pistolero said:
There's just no way you can put Frank as 15th with Valverde as 7th lol.

We're talking about climbers here. Not allrounders.

Can and did. If we were talking all rounders Piti would be 1st.

The guy won a grand tour based on climbs. Has Frank even podiumed one?

Create your own list if you dont like it. Umm is it something like this

1 Contador
2 Gilbert (followed by a "you didnt specify what climbs" line and the "stick out tongue" smiley)

then VDB above Samu to troll me. Above Gesink to troll DT

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Can and did. If we were talking all rounders Piti would be 1st.

The guy won a grand tour based on climbs. Has Frank even podiumed one?

Create your own list if you dont like it. Umm is it something like this

1 Contador
2 Gilbert (followed by a "you didnt specify what climbs" line and the "stick out tongue" smiley)

then VDB above Samu to troll me. Above Gesink to troll DT

Uhm, Frank Schleck outclimbed Valverde big time the last time both were in the same race in their peak.

Valverde best allrounder? Is that why he has won one GT? :rolleyes:

Like I said, we're talking about climbers. He was the second best climber in the Tour 2008 and the third best climber in the Tour 2009. There's just no way you can put him 15th. And why would I care about Samu and Gesink? What have they to do with this? Nothing. Gilbert neither, like I said, the topic is about CLIMBERS.

El Pistolero said:
Uhm, Frank Schleck outclimbed Valverde big time the last time both were in the same race in their peak.

Valverde best allrounder? Is that why he has won one GT? :rolleyes:

Best all rounder imo yes.

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/cqRankingRider.asp

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/cqRankingRider.asp

And he was well well ahead of everyone in 2010 before they took his results away.

He was world number 1 for about 125 weeks straight. So no hes not a very good all rounder:rolleyes:

Parrulo said:
fixed that for you

. Alberto Contador (ESP) - Astana +3:3610. Cadel Evans (AUS) - Silence-Lotto +3:4711. Andy Schleck (LUX) - Saxo Bank12. Bradley Wiggins (GBR) - Garmin-Slipstream13. Frank Schleck (LUX) - Saxo Bank14. Levi Leipheimer (USA) - Astana alle15. Lance Armstrong (USA) - Astana16. Tony Martin (GER) - Columbia-HTC17. Denis Mentschow (RUS) - Rabobank gleiche18. Carlos Sastre (ESP) - Cervélo19. Wladimir Karpets (RUS) - Katusha20. Christian Vandevelde (USA) - Garmin-Slipstream Zeit...21. Vincenzo Nibali (ITA) - Liquigas +3:5722. Franco Pellizotti (ITA) - Liquigas +4:1023. Jurgen van d. Broeck (BEL) - Silence-Lotto +4:1024. Andreas Klöden (GER) - Astana +4:1026. Mikel Astarloza (ESP) - Euskaltel-Euskadi +4:3128. Wladimir Jefimkin (RUS) - AG2R La Mondiale +4:3131. Peter Velits (SVK) - Team Milram +4:3132. Luis Leon Sanchez (ESP) - Caisse d'Epargne +4:3133. Maxime Monfort (BEL) - Columbia-HTC +4:3134. Kim Kirchen (LUX) - Columbia-HTC +4:39

1. Alberto Contador (ESP) - Astana 5h03:58 2. Andy Schleck (LUX) - Saxo Bank +0:43 3. Vincenzo Nibali (ITA) - Liquigas +1:03 4. Frank Schleck (LUX) - Saxo Bank +1:06 5. Bradley Wiggins (GBR) - Garmin-Slipstream gl.Zeit 6. Carlos Sastre (ESP) - Cervélo gl.Zeit 7. Cadel Evans (AUS) - Silence-Lotto +1:26 8. Andreas Klöden (GER) - Astana +1:29 9. Lance Armstrong (USA) - Astana +1:3510. Kim Kirchen (LUX) - Columbia-HTC +1:5511. Roman Kreuziger (CZE) - Liquigas +2:0612. Tony Martin (GER) - Columbia-HTC +2:1313. Wladimir Karpets (RUS) - Katusha gl.Zeit14. Maxime Monfort (BEL) - Columbia-HTC +2:2315. Christophe Le Mevel (FRA) - Française des Jeux +2:3216. Igor Anton (ESP) - Euskaltel-Euskadi +2:3317. Jurgen v. d. Broeck (BEL) - Silence-Lotto gl.Zeit18. Peter Velits (SVK) - Team Milram +2:3619. Rinaldo Nocentini (ITA) - AG2R La Mondiale gl.Zeit20. J.A. Gomez Marchante (ESP) - Cervélo gl.Zeit...21. Mikel Astarloza (ESP) - Euskaltel-Euskadi +2:4122. Christian Vandevelde (USA) - Garmin-Slipstream +2:4128. Luis Leon Sanchez (ESP) - Caisse d'Epargne +3:1736. George Hincapie (USA) - Columbia-HTC +4:0638. Linus Gerdemann (GER) - Team Milram +4:0641. Christian Knees (GER) - Team Milram +4:1065. Denis Mentschow (RUS) - Rabobank +6:27

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
. Alberto Contador (ESP) - Astana +3:3610. Cadel Evans (AUS) - Silence-Lotto +3:4711. Andy Schleck (LUX) - Saxo Bank12. Bradley Wiggins (GBR) - Garmin-Slipstream13. Frank Schleck (LUX) - Saxo Bank14. Levi Leipheimer (USA) - Astana alle15. Lance Armstrong (USA) - Astana16. Tony Martin (GER) - Columbia-HTC17. Denis Mentschow (RUS) - Rabobank gleiche18. Carlos Sastre (ESP) - Cervélo19. Wladimir Karpets (RUS) - Katusha20. Christian Vandevelde (USA) - Garmin-Slipstream Zeit...21. Vincenzo Nibali (ITA) - Liquigas +3:5722. Franco Pellizotti (ITA) - Liquigas +4:1023. Jurgen van d. Broeck (BEL) - Silence-Lotto +4:1024. Andreas Klöden (GER) - Astana +4:1026. Mikel Astarloza (ESP) - Euskaltel-Euskadi +4:3128. Wladimir Jefimkin (RUS) - AG2R La Mondiale +4:3131. Peter Velits (SVK) - Team Milram +4:3132. Luis Leon Sanchez (ESP) - Caisse d'Epargne +4:3133. Maxime Monfort (BEL) - Columbia-HTC +4:3134. Kim Kirchen (LUX) - Columbia-HTC +4:39

1. Alberto Contador (ESP) - Astana 5h03:58 2. Andy Schleck (LUX) - Saxo Bank +0:43 3. Vincenzo Nibali (ITA) - Liquigas +1:03 4. Frank Schleck (LUX) - Saxo Bank +1:06 5. Bradley Wiggins (GBR) - Garmin-Slipstream gl.Zeit 6. Carlos Sastre (ESP) - Cervélo gl.Zeit 7. Cadel Evans (AUS) - Silence-Lotto +1:26 8. Andreas Klöden (GER) - Astana +1:29 9. Lance Armstrong (USA) - Astana +1:3510. Kim Kirchen (LUX) - Columbia-HTC +1:5511. Roman Kreuziger (CZE) - Liquigas +2:0612. Tony Martin (GER) - Columbia-HTC +2:1313. Wladimir Karpets (RUS) - Katusha gl.Zeit14. Maxime Monfort (BEL) - Columbia-HTC +2:2315. Christophe Le Mevel (FRA) - Française des Jeux +2:3216. Igor Anton (ESP) - Euskaltel-Euskadi +2:3317. Jurgen v. d. Broeck (BEL) - Silence-Lotto gl.Zeit18. Peter Velits (SVK) - Team Milram +2:3619. Rinaldo Nocentini (ITA) - AG2R La Mondiale gl.Zeit20. J.A. Gomez Marchante (ESP) - Cervélo gl.Zeit...21. Mikel Astarloza (ESP) - Euskaltel-Euskadi +2:4122. Christian Vandevelde (USA) - Garmin-Slipstream +2:4128. Luis Leon Sanchez (ESP) - Caisse d'Epargne +3:1736. George Hincapie (USA) - Columbia-HTC +4:0638. Linus Gerdemann (GER) - Team Milram +4:0641. Christian Knees (GER) - Team Milram +4:1065. Denis Mentschow (RUS) - Rabobank +6:27
yep im convinced. martin is a mountain goat.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
yep im convinced. martin is a mountain goat.

Tony won the Mountain TT to the Kandel in the Regio Tour as a 20 year old stagaire in 2005. And the candel ain't easy at all

1 Tony Martin (GER) Gerolsteiner 33.43
2 Maxime Monfort (Bel) Landbouwkrediet-Colnago 0.09
3 Matthias Russ (GER) Gerolsteiner 0.21
4 Nico Sijmens (Bel) Landbouwkrediet-Colnago 0.43
5 Björn Papstein (GER) Team Lamonta 0.44
6 Rinaldo Nocentini (Ita) Acqua & Sapone-Adria Mobil 1.02
7 Holger Sievers (GER) Team Lamonta 1.05
8 Gerhard Trampusch (AUT) Akud Arnolds Sicherheit 1.08
9 Sergey Yakovlev (Kaz) T-Mobile Team 1.23
10 Moises Aldape C. (Mex) Ceramica Panaria-Navigare 1.28
11 Sergiy Matveyev (Ukr) Ceramica Panaria-Navigare 1.31
12 Rolf Aldag (GER) T-Mobile Team 1.36
13 Torsten Hiekmann (GER) T-Mobile Team 1.49
14 Sergey Lagutin (Uzb) Landbouwkrediet-Colnago 1.51
15 Benjamin Levecot (Fra) R.A.G.T. Semences 2.01
16 Cristian Gasperoni (Ita) Naturino-Sapore di Mare 2.12
17 Torsten Schmidt (GER) Gerolsteiner 2.13
18 Volker Ordowski (GER) Gerolsteiner 2.14
19 Nacor Burgos (Spa) Relax Fuenlabrada 2.18
20 Bert De Waele (Bel) Landbouwkrediet-Colnago 2.22
21 Alessandro Bertuola (Ita) Naturino-Sapore di Mare 2.24
22 Bernhard Kohl (AUT) T-Mobile Team
23 Elnathan Heizmann (GER) Team Comnet-Senges 2.32
24 Jose Mario Almagro (Spa) Relax Fuenlabrada 2.34
25 Daniel Moreno (Spa) Relax Fuenlabrada 2.36
26 Milan Kadlec (Cze) Ed' System-Zvvz 2.38
27 Martin Mares (Cze) Ed' System-Zvvz 2.39
28 Eddy Seigneur (Fra) R.A.G.T. Semences 2.43
29 Sergio Barbero (Ita) Naturino-Sapore di Mare 2.44
30 Michael Muck (GER) German U23 Team 2.53
31 Mirko Allegrini (Ita) Ceramica Panaria-Navigare 3.04
32 Alexander Gottfried (GER) German U23 Team 3.05
33 Marco Cellini (Ita) Acqua & Sapone-Adria Mobil 3.24
34 Markus Ganser (GER) Team Comnet-Senges 3.27
35 Emilien-Beno Berges (Fra) R.A.G.T. Semences
36 Pavel Zerzan (Cze) Ed' System-Zvvz 3.28
37 Reldys Perez (Cub) Cuban National Team 3.29
38 Ondrej Sosenka (Cze) Acqua & Sapone-Adria Mobil 3.32
39 Mario De Sarraga (Spa) Naturino-Sapore di Mare 3.35
40 Mar De Fino Silveir (Ita) Naturino-Sapore di Mare
41 Massimilano Mori (Ita) Naturino-Sapore di Mare 3.36
42 Stéphane Berges (Fra) Agritubel 3.37
43 Marcel Strauss (SUI) Gerolsteiner 3.39
44 Angel Vallejo (Spa) Relax Fuenlabrada 3.40
45 Florian Stalder (SUI) Ed' System-Zvvz 3.41
46 Eric Berthou (Fra) R.A.G.T. Semences
47 Björn Glasner (GER) Team Lamonta 3.43
48 Rau Garcia De Mateo (Spa) Relax Fuenlabrada 3.52
49 Andreas Dietziker (SUI) Ed' System-Zvvz 4.01
50 Mathias Belka (GER) German U23 Team

Kandel_Waldkirch_profile.gif

martin-gewinnt-bergzeitfahren-der-regio-tour-russ-dritter.html

Bavarianrider said:
If Tony finishes Top 5 in the Dauphine i can change my avatar, if not you can decide a new one for me.

Same for the Tour.
If Tony fails Top 10, you can decide a avatar for me

Man.....if Martin gets top 10 at the Tour..........he will be a 23 on that UCI list that was leaked and it only goes to 10

El Pistolero said:
What has CQranking to do with being an allrounder?

A hell of a lot more than a gt.

IValverde wins sprints, he podiums time trials he wins mountain stages he wins moderate finishes difficult finishes easy finishes he wins wmall stage races, medium stage races grand tours, he wins classics, monuments, everything. Hes on peak all season.

When all that is added up once all the smoke is settled and all the dust has cleared he has constantly over the last few years ended up as the comfortable world number 1.

Who would you proposes as a better all rounder? Contador? Yes he owns climbs gts and tts were Valverde is merely outstanding in those but has nothing in the sprints and hilly classics department.

Samu is like a mini Valverde. Good at all those things but worse than Valverde in all apart from tts and maybe climbing.

No one else comes close.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
A hell of a lot more than a gt.

IValverde wins sprints, he podiums time trials he wins mountain stages he wins moderate finishes difficult finishes easy finishes he wins wmall stage races, medium stage races grand tours, he wins classics, monuments, everything. Hes on peak all season.

When all that is added up once all the smoke is settled and all the dust has cleared he has constantly over the last few years ended up as the comfortable world number 1.

Who would you proposes as a better all rounder? Contador? Yes he owns climbs gts and tts were Valverde is merely outstanding in those but has nothing in the sprints and hilly classics department.

Samu is like a mini Valverde. Good at all those things but worse than Valverde in all apart from tts and maybe climbing.

No one else comes close.

Yes, Contador is a far better allrounder than Valverde. Yeah, Contador has nothing in the hilly classics department :rolleyes: Keep believing that. The only thing he lacks which Valverde doesn't lack is a strong finishing kick. Doesn't make him better though as he's far far worse in climbing(long ones, steep ones, not so steep ones, short steep ones, long steep ones, etc) and tting. Let alone be good over a period of 3 weeks.

You'd expect the best allrounder to have won more than one GT- the easiest one at that. Also the only GT he has managed to come in the top 5.

Who cares that Contador isn't sprinting in a flat stage :rolleyes: Total waste of energy.

TRENDING THREADS