The Caleb Ewan vs. Fernando Gaviria Thread

Unless you've been living under a rock, you will have heard these two names coming up as they destroy more established sprinters. At only 21 they seem to be head and shoulders above anyone else their age.

A quick background on both:

Caleb Ewan:



Current team: Orica-GreenEdge
Date of birth: 11/07/1994
Nationality: Australia
Hometown: Sydney

Palmares

2010
1st National Junior Road Race Championships

2011
1st National Junior Criterium Championships

2012
1st National Junior Time Trial Championships
1st Stage 4 Rothaus Regio-Tour International
1st Stage 2b Liège–La Gleize
1st Gent–Menen
2nd World Junior Road Race Championships
2nd Overall Bay Crits
1st Stages 2 & 4
2nd Trofeo Comune di Vertova
2nd Trofeo Emilio Paganessi
3rd Overall Keizer der Juniores

2013
1st Overall Bay Crits
1st Stage 1
1st GP Palio del Recioto
1st La Côte Picarde
Thüringen-Rundfahrt
1st Points classification
1st Stages 4 & 7
Tour de l'Avenir
1st Stages 1 & 2
1st Stage 2 Tour Alsace
3rd GP Industrie del Marmo
4th World Under-23 Road Race Championships

2014
1st Under-23 National Criterium Championships
1st National Under-23 Road Race Championships
1st Stage 2 Tour de l'Avenir
2nd World Under-23 Road Race Championships
2nd Trofeo Città di San Vendemiano
3rd Overall Bay Crits
1st Stage 4
3rd People's Choice Classic
6th Trofeo Piva

2015
1st Overall Bay Crits
1st Stages 1, 2 & 3
Herald Sun Tour
1st Stages 2 & 3
Tour de Langkawi
1st, Points classification
1st Stages 3 & 6
1st Vuelta a La Rioja
1st Under 23 classification[10]
1st Overall Tour de Korea
1st Stages 2, 3, 5 & 7
1st Stage 5 Vuelta a España
2nd National Criterium Championships
2nd National Road Race Championships

2016
1st National Criterium Championships
1st Overall Bay Crits
1st Stages 1, 2 & 4
1st People's Choice Classic
1st Stage 1 Tour Down Under


Fernando Gaviria:



Current team: Etixx - Quick-Step
Date of birth: 19/08/1994
Nationality: Colombia
Hometown: La Ceja

Palmares

2012
1st Juniors Track World Championships (Omnium)
1st Juniors Track World Championships (Madison)

2013
1st Pan American Track Championships (Omnium)
2nd Pan American Track Championships (Team Pursuit)
1st Bolivarian Games (Road Race)

2014
1st Central American and Caribbean Games (Omnium)
1st South American Games (Omnium)
1st Round 2 Track Cycling World Cup - London (Omnium)
1st Pan American Road Championships (U23 Road Race)
2nd Central American and Caribbean Games (Individual Time Trial)
4th Central American and Caribbean Games (Road Race)

2015

1st Track Cycling World Championships (Omnium)
1st Pan American Games (Omnium)
1st Pan American Games (Team Pursuit)
1st Stage 4 Tour of Britain
1st Stages 1 & 3 Tour de San Luis
1st Stages 1 (TTT) & 2 Czech Cycling Tour

2016
1st Stages 1 (TTT) & 2 Tour de San Luis

One is built like a traditional sprinter, the other fits into a women's skinsuit, but both have an appetite for winning and have taken some big scalps.

What are everyone's thoughts? Future sprint stars in the making, potential classics stars or simply early developers? I certainly can't wait for them to go head to head.
 
I think Gaviria is the bigger talent. I know Ewan has won a lot of races also between the pro's last year, but to be fair most of them were easy stages. Ewan is certainly very quick after an easy stage but after a stage with some hills or small climbs he either drops pretty early or doesnt have much left for the sprint. He obviously can work on this as he is still very young but I think Gaviria is already ahead of him in tihs aspect (and because of this I think he also has more potential of classic wins) + I think Gaviria is a bit faster so thats why for me Gaviria > Ewan.
 
After his win in the Veulta I'm keen to see Ewan go head to head with the big boys this year
The same could be said for the ToB win by Gaviria

Ewan has a much lighter frame so I see him being really good on stages with larger climbs that can shake the pure sprinter but still a flat sprint finish. I see them both being future sprint stars rather than classics riders
 
Re:

burning said:
I might be wrong but I don't think Gaviria won anything after a "hard" stage for now.
He did in Colombia but that is obviously different then bewteen the pro's. Ewan was also very good after a hilly day in the U23 ranks but in this regard he is disappointing me in the pro ranks.
Maybe tonight will be a good test for Gaviria though I dont know how hard that hill in the finale is.
 
Re:

Tigerion said:
After his win in the Veulta I'm keen to see Ewan go head to head with the big boys this year
The same could be said for the ToB win by Gaviria

Ewan has a much lighter frame so I see him being really good on stages with larger climbs that can shake the pure sprinter but still a flat sprint finish. I see them both being future sprint stars rather than classics riders
Yes, he has a lighter frame however that does not equate to possessing any capacity to go uphill. As Ruud stated earlier, he pops very early as soon as they start to put some extra pace on when it comes to the climbs....just as he tends to do so when they really drop the hammer some distance from the finish.

In his case, I fear it is a matter of "the engine" and will he ever have a big enough one to regularly be there when they really race it hard from some distance out, as is the case in most GTs ? It would also preclude him from becoming a significant classics rider.

He's very quick, he's a superb crits rider. He may continue to 'beat up" in lower tier races against the lower tier competition. He may snag some stages at some one week tours but going on to be one of the really top line sprinters, he will need to have a far bigger engine than he currently posseses and a distinctly advanced survival capacity for the mountains than currently evidenced.
 
Re:

Ruudz0r said:
I think Gaviria is the bigger talent. I know Ewan has won a lot of races also between the pro's last year, but to be fair most of them were easy stages. Ewan is certainly very quick after an easy stage but after a stage with some hills or small climbs he either drops pretty early or doesnt have much left for the sprint. He obviously can work on this as he is still very young but I think Gaviria is already ahead of him in tihs aspect (and because of this I think he also has more potential of classic wins) + I think Gaviria is a bit faster so thats why for me Gaviria > Ewan.
I've actually thought Gaviria has more potential in the Northern Classics as he's 181cm and 70kgs, against Ewan's 161cm and 65kgs. As they get older and stronger I see Gaviria going towards the Boonen/Hushovd path and Ewan more like Cav/McEwen but both mixing it up in the big bunch sprints.
 
Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
Ruudz0r said:
I think Gaviria is the bigger talent. I know Ewan has won a lot of races also between the pro's last year, but to be fair most of them were easy stages. Ewan is certainly very quick after an easy stage but after a stage with some hills or small climbs he either drops pretty early or doesnt have much left for the sprint. He obviously can work on this as he is still very young but I think Gaviria is already ahead of him in tihs aspect (and because of this I think he also has more potential of classic wins) + I think Gaviria is a bit faster so thats why for me Gaviria > Ewan.
I've actually thought Gaviria has more potential in the Northern Classics as he's 181cm and 70kgs, against Ewan's 161cm and 65kgs. As they get older and stronger I see Gaviria going towards the Boonen/Hushovd path and Ewan more like Cav/McEwen but both mixing it up in the big bunch sprints.
He seems to think the same way. On the Etixx website it states that his favourite race is Paris-Roubaix and he would like to win on the Velodrome one day. As if it wouldn't be odd enough that Colombia might have a future topsprinter, he also loves cobbles :D
 
You're correct Classics wise as to him being ahead of them both. However sprint wise he has not beat riders of the calibre of Sagan/Degenkolb, or Cav, instead he has beat Gavazzi and Bole (in races over the last two years not held in Asia). That could of course be due to him having to ride for more established sprinters such as Modolo, so hopefully this year he can get his own opportunities in the sprints and continue to develop in the Classics.
 
Re: Re:

Akuryo said:
42x16ss said:
Ruudz0r said:
I think Gaviria is the bigger talent. I know Ewan has won a lot of races also between the pro's last year, but to be fair most of them were easy stages. Ewan is certainly very quick after an easy stage but after a stage with some hills or small climbs he either drops pretty early or doesnt have much left for the sprint. He obviously can work on this as he is still very young but I think Gaviria is already ahead of him in tihs aspect (and because of this I think he also has more potential of classic wins) + I think Gaviria is a bit faster so thats why for me Gaviria > Ewan.
I've actually thought Gaviria has more potential in the Northern Classics as he's 181cm and 70kgs, against Ewan's 161cm and 65kgs. As they get older and stronger I see Gaviria going towards the Boonen/Hushovd path and Ewan more like Cav/McEwen but both mixing it up in the big bunch sprints.
He seems to think the same way. On the Etixx website it states that his favourite race is Paris-Roubaix and he would like to win on the Velodrome one day. As if it wouldn't be odd enough that Colombia might have a future topsprinter, he also loves cobbles :D
I agree I think Gaviria can do it but I have never seen him race on cobbles before so I cant say much about it. Just that he is an absolute class act so I think he will be (or become) very good at them as well.
 
Jun 30, 2014
5,465
0
0
Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
Ruudz0r said:
I think Gaviria is the bigger talent. I know Ewan has won a lot of races also between the pro's last year, but to be fair most of them were easy stages. Ewan is certainly very quick after an easy stage but after a stage with some hills or small climbs he either drops pretty early or doesnt have much left for the sprint. He obviously can work on this as he is still very young but I think Gaviria is already ahead of him in tihs aspect (and because of this I think he also has more potential of classic wins) + I think Gaviria is a bit faster so thats why for me Gaviria > Ewan.
I've actually thought Gaviria has more potential in the Northern Classics as he's 181cm and 70kgs, against Ewan's 161cm and 65kgs. As they get older and stronger I see Gaviria going towards the Boonen/Hushovd path and Ewan more like Cav/McEwen but both mixing it up in the big bunch sprints.
You got that one wrong, Ewan is 165cm and 61kgs. For his size he has an incredible sprint, but if he wants to win bigger races he'll need to improve his climbing, right now he's a pretty bad climber for such a light guy.
Still, both guys should have a great future.
 
Ewan vs Gaviria is a very interesting discussion and hopefully a rivalry to last for many years. They indeed seem to be the top tier sprinters of their generation. However, I like that Bonifazio was mentioned earlier. I also think that Mareczko and Van Poppel deserve a mentioning here. Obviously Mareczko haven't faced any real competition yet, but he seems very fast. Van Poppel is probably the odd one out in this discussion but he already has quite a few wins under his belt and has actually beaten a few good sprinters.
 
Sep 8, 2009
13,779
0
0
Ewan won't stand a chance with his 60 kilos against the 2000 watts monsters. Yes he's mega aero but he would need to bulk up at least at mcewen levels to fight kittel,greipel or even gaviria

I talk about the classic flat sprints
 
Mar 13, 2009
12,232
0
0
Re: Re:

Akuryo said:
He seems to think the same way. On the Etixx website it states that his favourite race is Paris-Roubaix and he would like to win on the Velodrome one day. As if it wouldn't be odd enough that Colombia might have a future topsprinter, he also loves cobbles :D

Leonardo Duque was a gun, there is no way Cofidis should have been riding for OGrady when they had Duque on the team.


I know his palmares, look stark, but it coulda been different
 
Oct 10, 2015
1,601
0
0
Re:

jens_attacks said:
Ewan won't stand a chance with his 60 kilos against the 2000 watts monsters. Yes he's mega aero but he would need to bulk up at least at mcewen levels to fight kittel,greipel or even gaviria

I talk about the classic flat sprints
You would think that as Ewan ages he will put on a little bulk but I don't think he will have the pure speed of some others out there, Robbie McEwan wasn't a big guys but did win a heap of races by placing himself in the right place at the right time and I can see Ewan doing the same thing. If he doesn't bulk up a bit then maybe he will develop into a hilly type of sprinter
 
Re: Re:

Ruudz0r said:
Akuryo said:
42x16ss said:
Ruudz0r said:
I think Gaviria is the bigger talent. I know Ewan has won a lot of races also between the pro's last year, but to be fair most of them were easy stages. Ewan is certainly very quick after an easy stage but after a stage with some hills or small climbs he either drops pretty early or doesnt have much left for the sprint. He obviously can work on this as he is still very young but I think Gaviria is already ahead of him in tihs aspect (and because of this I think he also has more potential of classic wins) + I think Gaviria is a bit faster so thats why for me Gaviria > Ewan.
I've actually thought Gaviria has more potential in the Northern Classics as he's 181cm and 70kgs, against Ewan's 161cm and 65kgs. As they get older and stronger I see Gaviria going towards the Boonen/Hushovd path and Ewan more like Cav/McEwen but both mixing it up in the big bunch sprints.
He seems to think the same way. On the Etixx website it states that his favourite race is Paris-Roubaix and he would like to win on the Velodrome one day. As if it wouldn't be odd enough that Colombia might have a future topsprinter, he also loves cobbles :D
I agree I think Gaviria can do it but I have never seen him race on cobbles before so I cant say much about it. Just that he is an absolute class act so I think he will be (or become) very good at them as well.
I havent seen hin on cobbles either but I like the fact that he is interested in doing them. Terpstra, Boonen and Vandenbergh wont get an younger and other than Stybar (already 28) and Lampaert I dont see anyone promising enough to challenge for the win in big races on cobbles. Maybe Gavira could be the solution. Like Boonen in the 2000s. A force in the sprint AND on cobbles.
 
Feb 23, 2014
6,543
1
0
Just so everyone knows, a poster in a previous thread has given Gaviria the nickname Gav. It goes....he must be called Gav.
 
I dont know enough, all that I can say is that I have been highly impressed by Ewan yesterday and especially his Vuelta win, but I think Gaviria probably has the higher ceiling. An Austraulian, but half Korean, and a Columbian sprinter, thats super interesting!
 
In pure sprinting terms ( I always think 200m ) Gaviria can reach top speed more quickly than Ewan, but Ewan can retain top speed for longer. I expect them to have many battles in the upcoming years.

It'd be nice if we can appreciate their talents, instead of the juvenile discussion that often floods this forum.
 
So... I'm surprised, surprised by the fact that nobody ever mentions Bryan Coquard. He is indeed 2 years older and hasn't accomplished that much on the road yet, but keep in mind he wanted to go to the Olymics and now that has changed (see: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/angry-coquard-drops-olympics-from-his-programme/ ). I heard from some people who are more trusted with the world of indoor cycling he has the same power as a Viviani. One of them told me this: Coquard is a combination of a pitbull and a greyhound: decided and fast. And he'll have the motivation of a (can't think of something, just imagine a random name here :D )
 
Re:

yaco said:
In pure sprinting terms ( I always think 200m ) Gaviria can reach top speed more quickly than Ewan, but Ewan can retain top speed for longer. I expect them to have many battles in the upcoming years.

It'd be nice if we can appreciate their talents, instead of the juvenile discussion that often floods this forum.
Look at how Gaviria got his second win in san luis last year. Cavendish mentioned it too that Gaviria, because of his track background, can hold his sprint for very long time.
 
Re:

yaco said:
I expect them to have many battles in the upcoming years.

It'd be nice if we can appreciate their talents, instead of the juvenile discussion that often floods this forum.
Well said. They'll be fun to watch. Hopefully this isn't going to turn out to be a situation where everyone is either a Gav or Ewan fan and can't appreciate both.

Valv.Piti said:
An Austraulian, but half Korean, and a Columbian sprinter, thats super interesting!
Agree with this as well. I also love the fact that they both have aspirations to also do well in classics, albeit slightly different ones.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY