• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Caleb Ewan vs. Fernando Gaviria Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

GenericBoonenFan said:
So... I'm surprised, surprised by the fact that nobody ever mentions Bryan Coquard. He is indeed 2 years older and hasn't accomplished that much on the road yet, but keep in mind he wanted to go to the Olymics and now that has changed (see: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/angry-coquard-drops-olympics-from-his-programme/ ). I heard from some people who are more trusted with the world of indoor cycling he has the same power as a Viviani. One of them told me this: Coquard is a combination of a pitbull and a greyhound: decided and fast. And he'll have the motivation of a (can't think of something, just imagine a random name here :D )
Lance

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Alexandre B. said:

was gonna post that.

like Mcewen said about Cav's canonball aero CdA (aero coefficient)

but it looks like it may be less than Cav.

kind of unsightly head on, but eh, that aint the purpose of sprinting. Upright Mcewen was also unslightly, except when he jumped from a slower speed leadout, and he put lengths into them, that you could see in profile, but head on, Mcewen was not a "sightly" sprinter...

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Laying it on the line, wow :eek:

360627ewancaleb.jpg

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Brullnux said:
I think Bonifazio will be extremely annoyed at this thread, considering he's shown more classics potential than both these guys, and is only a few months older.

People will pay attention after he wins MSR this year.

Re: Re:

Sasquatch said:
Brullnux said:
I think Bonifazio will be extremely annoyed at this thread, considering he's shown more classics potential than both these guys, and is only a few months older.

People will pay attention after he wins MSR this year.
I created this thread as there's so much buzz and crazy results in bunch sprints from these two. Bonifazio is a similarly talented rider IMO, but as a classics rider with a sprint, rather than a dashing bunch sprinter, whence the omission.

A San Remo win in the next few years certainly looks possible for Bonifazio at the moment.

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Yeah but talk about throwing him the deep end. He's barely raced a season at WT level and already he's being sent to the physically toughest race. Although without looking at the parcours, if he does a Cav and just races the easier stages in the first week or so then pulls out strategically it wont be too enduring.

Re:

Lupi33x said:
Yeah but talk about throwing him the deep end. He's barely raced a season at WT level and already he's being sent to the physically toughest race. Although without looking at the parcours, if he does a Cav and just races the easier stages in the first week or so then pulls out strategically it wont be too enduring.

19 year old Daniel Felipe Martinez is going as well (90% certain) and he is not comming for the sprint stages so it is not likely he ll leave the race after 1 week.

Re:

Lupi33x said:
He's only 21, so you would only expect him to race about 7-12 stages. Orica will be focused on Chaves or one of the Yates by then anyway.

Ruudz0r said:
Lupi33x said:

19 year old Daniel Felipe Martinez is going as well (90% certain) and he is not comming for the sprint stages so it is not likely he ll leave the race after 1 week.
But he'll probably take all but 2-3 targeted stages easy, carrying bottles and finishing in the gruppeto.

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site

Ruudz0r said:
Lupi33x said:

Not sure what your point is though. Given he's a Colombian its his kind of terrain.

Re:

Lupi33x said:
the question is, will he finish?

...or more pertinent; can he?

Question 1: Categorically NO

Question 2: Another categorical NO.

Looking at the schedule, the most likely scenario is that they'll withdraw him after stage 8, maybe even stage 7. Who knows, he might snag one of the Dutch stages.

Finish a GT ? Unlikely scenario over the next couple of years. One would hope he may've developed a greater "survival capacity" by 2018 but we'll just have to see what eventuates.

Well one of the key men who know where Ewan is at the moment is his old Orica compadre, Robbie McEwan. He makes some interesting observations in his cyclingnews interview;

"It is always difficult to compare riders from different generations but there are distinct similarities between McEwen, Cavendish and Ewan. They have different temperaments, different teams and face different rivals but share the same sprinting technique, with Ewan clearly using the same low aerodynamic sprinting position that made Cavendish so dominate in the Tour de France sprints between 2008 and 2013.

“One is that we’re the only three riders to come on the scene in the last 20 years and win 10 or more races in our neo-pro season,” McEwen pointed out quickly. “The power to weight ratio is of course our big thing. None of us put out massive power numbers in terms of total watts but we’re right up there at watts per kilo. And that’s what it's all about.

“One of the biggest comparisons between Caleb and Cav are their positions on the bike. They’re almost identical. They both get a really low, with their head over the bars, in a forward position. That’s only really much achievable by those two guys because of their build: they’ve short stocky legs, pretty short arm and a normal torso. It’s not possible for anyone taller to contort themselves into that position and generate their maximum power. For Cav and Caleb, that’s their natural position.”

McEwen quickly does the math to explain the benefits of a low aero sprinting position.

“It means that if Kittel is putting out 1,800 watts, Caleb probably only needs to put out 1,400 watts to be competitive in a sprint,” he points out.

“On a straight, flat sprint I think the big guys still have a slight advantage and can wind up the power up and combine it with the momentum but on finishes when the road rises up to the line, the advantage switches to the little guys. That’s where I always did my best work and results. But even on the flat sprints the low position gives the little guys an aerodynamic advantage because the riders behind him struggle to get much of a slipstream. I can remember being in that position sprinting against Cav in the final part of my career. I can usually get a ride behind anyone but you get more wind when you’re behind Cav. Caleb is even smaller and so I imagine it's even worse when you sit behind him.”

Cavendish has proven his sprinting ability by winning 26 stages at the Tour de France, Milan-San Remo in 2009 and the world road race title in 2011. He is a fighter and has incredible skill to read a sprint and take on the power sprinters like Greipel, Kristoff and Kittel.

McEwen is slightly concerned that Ewan may lack some aggression when the big sprints turn nasty at 70km/h.

“I just wonder as he goes up into the WorldTour sprints, the beloved patriot in Caleb’s armour could be when things get a little rough, I don’t know how he’ll go then,” McEwen questioned.

“Because he’s so small, he’s in great danger of getting a knee in the head from a guy like Greipel or Kittel. I was like that with Cipollini, I couldn’t go shoulder to shoulder with them because I was in danger of riding into their legs and going down. I suppose we’ll find out soon enough.”