• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Climb (Froome's first autobiography)

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm sure Brailsford enjoys having his private conversations in print :rolleyes:

All class to the Dawg.

4j1fk3.jpg

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
deValtos said:
I can't find the text again (hog posted it earlier) but from what I remember you have the story a bit mistaken *according to Froome*.

He said Henderson got in the way of thier mountain train, not during a lead out. He did it because Froome had got in the way of one of Henderson's leadouts, not because Henderson had some GC guy to protect on the climb or something. Basically saying Greg had zero reason to be there and was just being a ******.

Henderson in a mountain train? Well, okay. Regardless, my point stands. Whatever Henderson's motivations, it could have been him or a hundred other blokes and it's still their job to mess with Sky's plans. It's a *race*. There is no privileged position on the road. You earn it or lose it. Period. To moan that someone wouldn't let you have a wheel is Cat 5 stupid and worthy of derision.

John Swanson

ScienceIsCool said:
Henderson in a mountain train? Well, okay. Regardless, my point stands. Whatever Henderson's motivations, it could have been him or a hundred other blokes and it's still their job to mess with Sky's plans. It's a *race*. There is no privileged position on the road. You earn it or lose it. Period. To moan that someone wouldn't let you have a wheel is Cat 5 stupid and worthy of derision.

John Swanson

You're still correct.

It was 10km before the start of the final climb. And correct me if I'm wrong but in 2012 Henderson would have also being doing work for JvB and Vanendert?

So he had every right to be there. Froome is talking smack.

67ulis.jpg

May 26, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
You're still correct.

It was 10km before the start of the final climb. And correct me if I'm wrong but in 2012 Henderson would have also being doing work for JvB and Vanendert?

67ulis.jpg

So Froome can remember (insignificant)anecdotes like this but can't remember the important stuff, like when he got badzilla.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
You're still correct.

67ulis.jpg

the nerve, interfering with the sky train on a cat 3 climb.

and not only that, he tried to run the Dawg off the road as well. :eek:

Maybe Froome is upset about the infamous bike push? Im sure he was already a multiple tour champion in his mind back then.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
A guy moves into you for whatever reason. You can't react fast or safely enough to put a hand on his saddle. Fair enough. You Tap the brakes and... lose fifteen positions!? Well congratulations on getting out of the way of the real racers. What an idiot.

John Swanson

the sceptic said:
I get the impression that Froome is bitter because he isnt getting the same hype and recognition as Wiggins. No matter what Froome does, the british public doesnt really care about him at all, meanwhile Wiggins became a national hero after getting towed around France by Froome.

Towed around France? Ok...

BTW, really stumped why Froome thinks that the defending champion doesn't have the honor/right on a team to show up and be the man. Although Wiggans did say that, not sure why, kind of dumb. Kind of in the moment comment I would guess.

Any other team, with real management, Froome wouldn't have lead the TDF 2013, it would have been Wiggans...but Wiggo was a bit daft post TDF...maybe though, hey Gold medal, TDF...I'm done, life is good. But realizes later on, hey, I really would like to win another, and compete for awhile longer at the highest level...so he changed his mind. Guy has a right. Froome's ego can't let any little thing go like that though.

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
So, Dr. Charles Chunge is "the Doctor", the missing link between the Brother and the UCI passport testers in terms of the origination of the Bilharzia story :rolleyes: He must have read the Badzilla thread

I'm quite shocked that Froome appears to be more like Armstrong than Indurain, I always thought it was the other way around and that he wouldn't make any of the mistakes Armstrong did. But with that character and Walsh churning out a conveyor belt of porous nonsense, perhaps we won't have to wait 10 years.

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Dr Chunge tidies up the anomaly between the brother story and the Passport story. "adjacent to" tidies up any time or distance gaps between the two stories. Must be a reaction to the Badzilla thread.

bewildered said:
Dr Chunge tidies up the anomaly between the brother story and the Passport story. "adjacent to" tidies up any time or distance gaps between the two stories. Must be a reaction to the Badzilla thread.

The stories aligning like they did in contrast to the last Walsh book just makes the whole thing ridiculous. And much more suspicious.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
zigmeister said:
Towed around France? Ok...

BTW, really stumped why Froome thinks that the defending champion doesn't have the honor/right on a team to show up and be the man. Although Wiggans did say that, not sure why, kind of dumb. Kind of in the moment comment I would guess.

Any other team, with real management, Froome wouldn't have lead the TDF 2013, it would have been Wiggans...but Wiggo was a bit daft post TDF...maybe though, hey Gold medal, TDF...I'm done, life is good. But realizes later on, hey, I really would like to win another, and compete for awhile longer at the highest level...so he changed his mind. Guy has a right. Froome's ego can't let any little thing go like that though.

Yeah you heard it he was towed around France lol, Wiggo fans thinking he is as good as Froome haha.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
nomapnocompass said:
Bpom9yrIcAAGfsS.jpg

Froome and Porte as pictured in The Climb while TT training.

What stands out is just how awful Froome looks on the bike. His left leg flying out to the side and his upper body pushed off to the left. Contrast with Cancellara, Martin or Wiggins... yet Froome is apparently as good if not better!

wt are you talking about? :confused:

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Froome Dauphine ITT

I always wonder where the favorites make up time on one another in ITTs, but it's annoying when the time splits are 15km far apart and based on Tony Martin taking 2 minutes out of everyone (well, almost everyone ;)).

Eurosport's coverage of the Dauphine Stage 1 ITT allowed me to hand-time splits for Nibali, Contador, and Froome towards the end using landmarks from the camera bike behind the riders. I got splits for Nibali and Froome from a 90-degree right-hander just inside 3km from the finish, and times for all three passing a fluorescent street sign about 550m from the finish.

Thus:

JLi0Nrk.png

Looking at this and the stage profile:

vjlSVHE.png

If I've timed and subtracted correctly, Froome put roughly 5 seconds into Nibali on the 3km descent and flat off of the 4th cat climb, and took another 9 seconds in the 2+km(!!) flat run-in coming into the finish. Nibali did defend well at the very end, losing only a second or so to Froome in the final 0.5km.

I didn't get a moto shot of Contador at the right-hander inside of 3km to go, so it's hard to say if the 4 seconds he gave up to Froome came on the descent or on the flat. He did fade badly, however, losing 3 more seconds in the final ~600m. CN quotes Contador as saying there was “a very strong headwind” in the closing stages, which the fluttering police cordons in the final appear to corroborate.

Froome did much of his damage on the descent and run-in off the climb after the first official time check (between 4.6km and ~7.5km), which suggests he may not be the worst bike handler in the pro peloton. The only really dodgy line I saw Froome take on the day was the oily switchback off of the climb. Nibali, however, was clearly on the ragged edge and nearly came to grief at least twice on sighted corners, the scamp.

I think Froome has no business being one of the world’s 3 best time trialists on his day and that he is doping at least as much as Contador and Nibali (both of whom are much more stylish riders), but this TT is not the most ridiculous thing we’ve seen from the Dawg.

When he starts gifting Tour stages to his opponents, we’ll know we’re in trouble...

May 19, 2014
Visit site
The above probably should go in the Froome Talk Only thread. Oops.

I have no plans of ordering The Climb but I would be interested to know if Froome addresses why he doesn't just own the Kenyan thing instead of being African when it suits him and British when it doesn't. Or is it the other way around?

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Can someone explain anti-doping / biological passport protocol to me? Froome says the lab he went to for his BP tests were adjacent to Dr Charles Chunge's place (CTTM), but Kenya has no accredited WADA lab?

Does this mean the BP org (CADF?) sent testers to Froome, who then took him to a lab to withdraw the blood? And then sent it to South Africa or another WADA approved lab?

:confused:

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
IM not sure where the Froome towing Wiggo round France thing comes from?

It was Mick Rogers, EBH, Porte etc that did that, Froome was mostly on Wiggo's wheel, so benefited even more from Rogers and Porte.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Can someone explain anti-doping / biological passport protocol to me? Froome says the lab he went to for his BP tests were adjacent to Dr Charles Chunge's place (CTTM), but Kenya has no accredited WADA lab?

Does this mean the BP org (CADF?) sent testers to Froome, who then took him to a lab to withdraw the blood? And then sent it to South Africa or another WADA approved lab?

:confused:
Also, if I have read it correctly, he was called in for his regular annual BP tests? Never heard of that one too.

But, just like your question, there must be a good explanation for this, otherwise the Chief Inspector Clouseau of Cycling would have questioned this, no doubt about it.