• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Clinic is inherently anti-Sky / anti-Froome

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Don't be late Pedro said:
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.
star-wars-vader-force-choke.jpg

del1962 said:
Not last year though and not really even the year before either on every mountain stage even, in 2012 ansd 2013 as a team they where really strong on the first mountain summit of the tour and less so after (especially 2013).
I'll be honest with you. My doubts about Froome are for different reasons than the team "riding methods" of today. It has been discussed ad naseum in the Froome thread.

The Sky comparisons to the US Postal that to this date have me still pi$$ed was the year 2012. Dauphine-Tour combo. I was so upset that they were doing it in the same way like they were making fun of the fans. Just coming out of the Armstrong investigation. I don't like it and I don't believe in it. Several riders have commented about it. Crazy trains in the mountains is not where cycling want to go. So Sky last year did it in few occasions but for the most part was not as successful as in 2012. I have my theories but they have been discussed in other threads as well.

The fact that a "team program" is suspected is where the comparison lies. I believe is not as bad as US Postal but it has come close. Nowadays teams don't want to take those kinds of risks anymore. Sky seems to care less about that. Saxo don't come close to that IMO.

I root for the Colombians in that team, as opposed to Saxo where there are no Colombians, but the reality of the Sky team is not good. IMO again. I have not seen any recent facts to change my mind yet.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Froome is subject to a disproportionate volume of scrutiny and ridicule compared to the magnitude of the role he's played in this circus. Is that what the original poster wants to hear ?

I won't deny that it is true. Froome's occupied the position of poster boy for doping issues for almost 3 years now. He's the one bringing the stories, putting out the performances, he answers the questions, he brings the controversy. His "epic" saga ticks all the boxes to make him a focal point of discussion on the topic of doping.

Simply put ... Chris Froome is "interesting."

I don't subscribe to the concept that the clinic is inherently "anti-doping", that's an attribute individual to each poster and I've seen posts that here that would indicate quite a range of views. Above all it's a forum and the primary reason anyone chooses to read/contribute here is because it's compelling, entertaining & enthralling, and right now Chris is the big attraction ! It's just how our brains are wired ... Lance had an interesting story too !

Just human nature. It's not only the forum, look towards the journalists at le TDF. Have we heard a single doping question (at ANY rider) ? The media obviously doesn't rate public interest regarding the links between Nibali and Ferrari ... and a million other tales.

It can't be helped, can't be changed, you'll have to find your own way to deal with it. ;)

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Dalakhani said:
It's not just the doping, it's the insult to my intelligence.
+1
Every time the topic of bias in the clinic comes up, this needs to be repeated ad nauseum so maybe people will finally catch on why some dopers catch more flack than others.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
biokemguy said:
+1
Every time the topic of bias in the clinic comes up, this needs to be repeated ad nauseum

No, no it doesn't. I posted in another thread recently that "If you think your intelligence is actually being insulted by SKY PR or equivalent then I guarantee that it is most deserved."

Sky give thier spiel, you can believe it or not, your choice.

Lots of actual issues ...

... but to highlight the insult to your intelligence as the real injustice here ?!?

Taking it personally huh, not really an attitude I want to read in the clinic ... :rolleyes:

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
deValtos said:
... but to highlight the insult to your intelligence as the real injustice here ?!?

I said nothing about injustice, I was just pointing out the source of the bias that the OP is upset about. I think that source fits the trend of many opinions in this thread.

AC gets less flack because he doesn't go on and on about marginal gains being the reason for his return to top form this year. I think he does claim it's clean (which is laughable) when asked, but he's not in your face with lame excuses to the same extent as Sky/Froome.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
biokemguy said:
+1
Every time the topic of bias in the clinic comes up, this needs to be repeated ad nauseum so maybe people will finally catch on why some dopers catch more flack than others.

Yep. Right about now the clinic is simultaneously under no illusions and tired of having smoke blown up it's ***.

Happy talk is a bit nauseating no matter from where it emanates. If Vino starts up with the same line of bull**** perpetuated by Brailsford then expect the clinic to do what the clinic does.

Scott SoCal said:
Yep. Right about now the clinic is simultaneously under no illusions and tired of having smoke blown up it's ***.

Happy talk is a bit nauseating no matter from where it emanates. If Vino starts up with the same line of bull**** perpetuated by Brailsford then expect the clinic to do what the clinic does.

You mean like

increased his altitude training

started training with a power meter

He has replaced quantity with quality. He has worked with great intensity,

Scott SoCal said:

+1

I'm not sure how anyone can interpret 'using our own pillows', & 'warming down', as anything other that insulting the intelligence of the listener ?

del1962 said:
if the listener is going to be insulted by that it is the sign of a fragile mindset

Like most "sky bots" you seem to have surprising amount of trouble with the English language. To insult someone's intelligence means merely to say something stupid. Not literally to "insult" them. Its a very common term that 99% of people here for who English is a second or third or fourth language have no problem with.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
del1962 said:
if the listener is going to be insulted by that it is the sign of a fragile mindset

Have to agree with that. I'm absolute anti-Froome/anti-Sky but to be insulted by what someone says is an excuse if anything.

The Hitch said:
Like most "sky bots" you seem to have surprising amount of trouble with the English language. To insult someone's intelligence means merely to say something stupid. Not literally to "insult" them. Its a very common term that 99% of people here for who English is a second or third or fourth language have no problem with.

OTOH, that is very true. I just wouldn't be surprised if some people use the phrase literally.

del1962 said:

Great. Let's take that to a logical extreme. Rider xyz's domination is the result of being norn on the planet krypton. It's true!

You are advocating cycling become a sport parody. Which it is dangerously close to becoming anyway.

del1962 said:

No. If someone is going to lie to my face and try to blow smoke up my *** then I have every right to be annoyed by that person and lose all respect for them. And yes feeling insulted is perfectly legitimate because that person is assuming I'm stupid enough to buy their garbage. Frankly, I'd argue that any other response would be "fragile" or as we call it New York, "being a pvssy." Finally I would add that fans have every right to get passonate about this stuff, it's their sport after all and if they choose to get emotionally invested more power to 'em. I don't see any reason to follow sport or play sports if you're going to be coldly dispassionate about it.

skippythepinhead said:
I posted all my Contador vitriol over his steak fairy tale. Contador has been stacked neatly on the shelf in Yesterday's Dopers corner. Froome exemplifies the current arrogance and hypocrisy of now.

That's all that needs to be said in this topic, really. Guys like Contador and Valverde were discussed for so many years and then caught, there's really nothing to say anymore

Froome on the other hand...

RobbieCanuck said:
This is just outright wrong. The only sanction Contador has ever had in his entire career, is for the clenbuterol case. And as I am sure you are aware he was only sanctioned on the basis of absolute liability in spite of the fact the 50 trillionths of a gram of clen was found in his system on July 21, 2010 had no performance enhancing effect and played absolutely no role in his winning the 2010 TDF. That is 0.000,000,000,050 of a gram.

It was common ground through out the case that this amount of clen could not under any circumstances have had a performance enhancing effect.

When people say the Clinic is inherently biased that is not quite right. There are a large portion of the posters, I would suggest a healthy majority who are biased in favour of certain riders being dopers in spite of the fact there is no evidence of the fact. Just gossip, speculation, conjecture, innuendo, guilt by association etc. The usual trash tabloid like comment.

This part of your comment is spurious misrepresentation.

He was targeted for a reason. This was what would stick. Hardly innocent. Enough said.

Ripper said:
He was targeted for a reason. This was what would stick. Hardly innocent. Enough said.

Without a doubt, clenbuterol is an open-and-shut case as presence is the burden of proof.

But, it's important to remember the details of the positive. Someone on anti-doping/lab leaked the positive and the UCI denied there was a positive. This denial didn't work and Contador had to be charged.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
keeponrollin said:
+1

I'm not sure how anyone can interpret 'using our own pillows', & 'warming down', as anything other that insulting the intelligence of the listener ?

Originally Posted bydel1962if the listener is going to be insulted by that it is the sign of a fragile mindset

The Hitch said:

Sciocco said:
OTOH, that is very true. I just wouldn't be surprised if some people use the phrase literally.

DirtyWorks said:
Great. Let's take that to a logical extreme. Rider xyz's domination is the result of being norn on the planet krypton. It's true!

You are advocating cycling become a sport parody. Which it is dangerously close to becoming anyway.

BikeCentric said:
No. If someone is going to lie to my face and try to blow smoke up my *** then I have every right to be annoyed by that person and lose all respect for them. And yes feeling insulted is perfectly legitimate because that person is assuming I'm stupid enough to buy their garbage. Frankly, I'd argue that any other response would be "fragile" or as we call it New York, "being a pvssy." Finally I would add that fans have every right to get passonate about this stuff, it's their sport after all and if they choose to get emotionally invested more power to 'em. I don't see any reason to follow sport or play sports if you're going to be coldly dispassionate about it.

This is called being 'owned'...........for those not au fait with some of the finer meanings of the English language:D