• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Contador Myth

Protein

BANNED
Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
If it's true that Contador used blood transfusions to scrape a win at this years tour, where power levels were said to be lower than previous tours, I'm wondering how great a cyclist Contador really is?

Don't get me wrong, i still think he's world class, but if all his wins were done with doping then he might not be as great as everyone thinks he is.

What do you think?

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Power levels are going down because blood transfusions have replaced EPO as the "drug" of choice for top pros. In that sense Contador is still the best of the bunch.

With the possibility of plasticizer tests at next year's Tour, no Contador, Schleck on a new team ... well ... it will be wide open. Can't wait.

It'd be nice to think Roche wasn't doping, certainly everyone in front of him was. He's part of Bikepure anyway, however much that means.

After that there's Lovkvist (not sure about Sky though), De Weert (from his palmares seems clean), Gadret (???, remember issoisso saying something about him though), Casar (think FDJ are the cleanest PT team).

Speculation...

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
It'd be nice to think Roche wasn't doping, certainly everyone in front of him was. He's part of Bikepure anyway, however much that means.

After that there's Lovkvist (not sure about Sky though), De Weert (from his palmares seems clean), Gadret (???, remember issoisso saying something about him though), Casar (think FDJ are the cleanest PT team).

Speculation...

Why would you be suspicious of Sky? They didn't have a very impressive season and Wiggins went from 4th place last year to what, 25th?

Tyler'sTwin said:
Why would you be suspicious of Sky? They didn't have a very impressive season and Wiggins went from 4th place last year to what, 25th?

Because team based organized doping is so yesterday, its a rich mans game today. There's that and you answered your own question.

Protein

BANNED
Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
But most doping experts said this year's tour was a lot closer to natural performances than previous years, so it's not at all clear that everyone was still doping. The risks were also huge after the Landis affair.

If it was a lot cleaner but Contador was still doing transfusions, it would indicate that perhaps he is not as great as the other top GC riders. Maybe his past wins were done by doping to a higher level in pre-season and during the tours than other riders.

He's status as the best tour cyclist in the world maybe a myth.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
GoGarmin said:
Power levels are going down because blood transfusions have replaced EPO as the "drug" of choice for top pros. In that sense Contador is still the best of the bunch.

With the possibility of plasticizer tests at next year's Tour, no Contador, Schleck on a new team ... well ... it will be wide open. Can't wait.

Blood bags all NOW a thing of the past. I am sure their are already glass and metal devices being developed for transfusions.

Protein said:
But most doping experts said this year's tour was a lot closer to natural performances than previous years, so it's not at all clear that everyone was still doping. The risks were also huge after the Landis affair.

If it was a lot cleaner but Contador was still doing transfusions, it would indicate that perhaps he is not as great as the other top GC riders. Maybe his past wins were done by doping to a higher level in pre-season and during the tours than other riders.

He's status as the best tour cyclist in the world maybe a myth.

The guy raced at a top level from January to August.

So he must have drawn a lot of blood to last that long!

You guys are dreaming.

Contador does not transfuse.

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
scribe said:
Blood bags all NOW a thing of the past. I am sure their are already glass and metal devices being developed for transfusions.

Glass causes red cells to rupture and causes clotting to start... Not a good thing for blood if you want to use it later :rolleyes:

May 14, 2010
Visit site
scribe said:

Squares said:
Glass causes red cells to rupture and causes clotting to start... Not a good thing for blood if you want to use it later :rolleyes:

I think Mylar (BoPET) might be a good candidate to replace plastic for blood bags. Good luck testing for that.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Vonn Brinkman said:
Wasn't that Nicholas Roche?
Do you think he is that much more clean than the 15 before him?

even the most hardened cynics want to believe someone is clean...i.e, that there is a santa claus.

erader

May 14, 2010
Visit site
erader said:
even the most hardened cynics want to believe someone is clean...i.e, that there is a santa claus.

erader

Atleast one night a year Santa does amphetamines so he can stay up. He does stop at Armstrong's house, but there is no proven connection.

GoGarmin said:

They will find another way to store the blood, so the plasticizer test is already useless. It worked this once. Never again.

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
The real 1st place a person riding clean was in 16th place.

Well this statement has to be some sort of joke because one thing is for sure Nicolas Roche Who finished in 15 th position In Le Tour is one rider who is absolutely and positively a 100 % clean professional Cyclist.

King Of Molehill said:
They will find another way to store the blood, so the plasticizer test is already useless. It worked this once. Never again.

Well once is better than none at all, especially for the biggest fish in the pond.

Talking about the AC myth I still don't understand how he walked from Puerto and the AC initials...presumably the Italians who took down Valverde with the 2008 TDF blood sample also did the same for AC during the 2008 Giro? Or...they didn't because they didn't want to have a Giro DQ...I seem to remember he was called back at the last moment, can't remember why though, was it because it had been confirmed Astana wouldn't be on the TdF? Maybe that's what saved him from Puerto...

Power levels?

Contadors was
41801_323503943532_2201_n.jpg

over 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
King Of Molehill said:

Seems it would be quite useful for retroactive testing, if it is ever "validated."