• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Contador - Riis Relationship

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
With the likely announcement of Contador going to Team Sungard or whatever the heck Riis team will be, will Riis and Contador be a good match for each other?
Contador can be sometimes be a brash person and Riis has a very stoney cold personality.

Contador is the most talented allround-rider since i don´t know when. Riis is always in constant need of money.

Contador would be a huge addiction for Riis if the dane put his personality aside and let Conta do his things and wins his Palmarés. Riis must think about the team and let his personality aside.

They wouldn´t match if they were riding together, and there would probably be conflicts, but this is a different matter.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
With the likely announcement of Contador going to Team Sungard or whatever the heck Riis team will be, will Riis and Contador be a good match for each other?
Contador can be sometimes be a brash person and Riis has a very stoney cold personality.

Their both professionals, and AC will be the cornerstone of Riis's new team. They'll make it work.

ericthesportsman6 said:
Their both professionals, and AC will be the cornerstone of Riis's new team. They'll make it work.

If Riis is a wise man, and I think he is, he'll let Contador do his thing as he has for the last four years and concentrate on making sure he has a team strong enough to support him when it matters. It will work.

Riis is one of the smartest managers around. He´ll have no problem with Contador. They both want to win and as a bottom line, that will dictate how they work together. Contador doesn´t need a babysitter. He needs a serious professional at the helm and that is exactly what Riis is.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Steffen Laursen claimed the domain last night: "www.teamsaxobanksunguard.com" ...
Saxo won the bidding war from Specialized ... that was supposed not to happen my guess ...

So that leaves the window of ops for Astana - Specialized wide open ;)

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Riis also announces that Contador aims to win all three GTs in a single year (not next year though). Certainly the ambitions are there.

ETA: The contract with Contador is for 2 years.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Cerberus said:
Riis also announces that Contador aims to win all three GTs in a single year (not next year though). Certainly the ambitions are there.

ETA: The contract with Contador is for 2 years.

Sweet! Contador won a crit last night and is in one in Bordeaux this afternoon. I wonder if some journos will be there?

The first puzzle piece is in place. Who's next? Menchov to Astana?

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
There was another sponsor in play with a 2 year contract but they chose Saxo and a 1-year contract (no reason given, but presumably more money).

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Cancellara and Richie Porte to stay. I guess Noval, Navarro, Hernandez, and De la Fuente are included, along with mechanic Faustino Munoz, trainer Pepe Marti and maybe a soigneur. Word was that a lot of the SB staff are going to the Luxembourg team.

Who else do you think they should recruit?

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
From the press conference:

Riis cycling now has a two year contract with Contador and a one year sponsorate from Saxobank. They had an offer from another sponsor (probably Specialized) for a two year sponsorate, but they preferred one year with Saxo. The Specialized sponsorate will continue unchanged.

TRENDING THREADS