• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"The Damiano who won the Giro no longer exists"

Well, the answer seems fairly obvious. From his fairly candid statements this past May, he's now riding clean when he wasn't in the past.

I personally like the way he races a bit more now. He won't win a GT, but he is exciting to watch, and I think he's matured as both a tactical racer, and a person. Gibo even seems to get along with him again.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I've been saying this since he won that Giro. Until about 2007 the fanboys used to call me names. Then they stopped. I wonder why :p

He won a Grand Tour thanks to tactical and route circumstances that were a major coincidence and will likely never be repeated. Good for him, but it's pointless to insist. He's realized that just because he won the lottery once, he won't win it again no matter how hard he tries to.

Good for him that he's stopping the "I wanna be a GC guy" nonsense. By focusing solely on the classics, there's a chance he can become the world's number one at them.

Should be interesting to follow :)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I've been saying this since he won that Giro. Until about 2007 the fanboys used to call me names. Then they stopped. I wonder why :p

He won a Grand Tour thanks to tactical and route circumstances that were a major coincidence and will likely never be repeated. Good for him, but it's pointless to insist. He's realized that just because he won the lottery once, he won't win it again no matter how hard he tries to.

Good for him that he's stopping the "I wanna be a GC guy" nonsense. By focusing solely on the classics, there's a chance he can become the world's number one at them. It's the same transition that worked well for both Rebellin and Bettini. They too did well as GC riders before they finally realised their strengths lay elsewhere.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Well, the answer seems fairly obvious. From his fairly candid statements this past May, he's now riding clean when he wasn't in the past.

While I hate to be a negative nelly, I don't see how one arrives at this conclusion. When people talk about his transition they speak about him turning into a Bettini or a Rebellin...those are clean riders? Cunego won Lombardia the same year he won the Giro. If he was dirty then what makes you think he's clean now?

issoisso said:

Good for him that he's stopping the "I wanna be a GC guy" nonsense. By focusing solely on the classics, there's a chance he can become the world's number one at them. It's the same transition that worked well for both Rebellin and Bettini. They too did well as GC riders before they finally realised their strengths lay elsewhere.

+1 agreed......and maybe some others should follow his lead..say cadel evans maybe?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
he also won the white jersey in the Tour, and when Frank won Alpe d'Huez he beat Cunego in the last km.

He has shown alot since the Giro, just not as consistent as a guy on a big program. I reckon he is on a small maintenance program.

Basso is on a medium program, Cunego just maintenance.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:

+1
I think he could still do well in 1 week tours like Rebellin did e.g. Paris nice.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
blaxland said:
+1 agreed......and maybe some others should follow his lead..say cadel evans maybe?

-2000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

evans has always been consisten in gt's, cunego has won a giro and after that his best has been the bottom half of the top ten.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
in fairness cadels gt results are not comparable to cunego. cadel is consistently almost there with the big win cunego does not have the same gt ability.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
forty four said:
in fairness cadels gt results are not comparable to cunego. cadel is consistently almost there with the big win cunego does not have the same gt ability.

at that stage, people thought cunego was going to be the next big thing in world cycling with the classics and the grand tours. he's had a few top tens at giros but the past few years have been dry from him. i remember LA saying last year that cunego was too small to be a gt rider. i think in a GT cunego good be a good super domestique for a gt rider.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
at that stage, people thought cunego was going to be the next big thing in world cycling with the classics and the grand tours. he's had a few top tens at giros but the past few years have been dry from him. i remember LA saying last year that cunego was too small to be a gt rider. i think in a GT cunego good be a good super domestique for a gt rider.

In all fairness, I also remember Armstrong saying Cunego would be the next big thing for Grand Tours :p

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Armstrong says alot of things to court the respective national tifosi 'cross the conitinent.

Like that media ***** Megan Fox whenever she goes to a new foreign country she always says something provocative like how she thinks this <insert national icon> is sexy.

Just a pr strategy.

A

Anonymous

Perhaps the 2004 Giro was not the most competitive, and it's good that he and his manager have acknowledged his GC days are over, and now he can refine himself as one of the best current one-day racers.

I have to agree with others that he could still target week-long stage racers along with his obvious hilly classics talent.

Oh and comparing his GC success to Cadel Evans' GT consistency, and implying assistance... :rolleyes:, you can't be serious?

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
Armstrong says alot of things to court the respective national tifosi 'cross the conitinent.

Like that media ***** Megan Fox whenever she goes to a new foreign country she always says something provocative like how she thinks this <insert national icon> is sexy.

Just a pr strategy.

or perhaps she is a slút and actually does find someone in every country sexy (still not had her on my door or bed mind)

May 17, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
He has shown alot since the Giro, just not as consistent as a guy on a big program. I reckon he is on a small maintenance program.

Basso is on a medium program, Cunego just maintenance.
Once again you confirm that your beliefs are unfalsifiable.

blaxland said:

No, Evans IS a Tour rider - he does have the consistency for 3 weeks and has shown it several times now in solid podiums. Also, Evans does not have much of a sprint at all while Cunego does. You pretty require a decent finishing sprint to be successful at one day races or you will just finish in the lead group a lot like Evans does. :D

TRENDING THREADS