• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Soudal - Quick Step Thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Leinster said:
jaylew said:
Leinster said:
tobydawq said:
What's happening?

Two weeks without a win! This is the first time this has happened this season!

Normal service resumes in Turkey. Happy to see Richeze get a win, he's normally the set-up guy for others.

I suspect Lefevere has had the sponsor lined up for a while and was negotiating numbers. I suspect Terpstra got a generous offer, but Lefevere didn't see a reason to give anyone a raise, no matter how many monuments they've won for him; Terpstra won't win more races with DE, and Quickstep won't win less races without Terpstra.
True, but it sounds like they still might lose Gaviria and they'll almost certainly win fewer races without him.

Or they'll just send Viviani to the Tour, and he'll win 3 stages. Did you miss what happened to Kittel this year?
Kittel? What on earth does he have to do with anything? Kittel was replaced with Viviani. They wouldn't be replacing Gaviria with another top flight sprinter. You're kidding yourself if you think they'll win the same amount of races without Gaviria as they did with him. Having Gav and Viv meant they could have a top level sprinter at more races. Viviani can't be everywhere and the young guys are good but they're not Gaviria.

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

rghysens said:
Akuryo said:
Terpstra certainly did not like the offer, nor did Schachmann.So I believe some of the talk is true. Lefevere could not sign (big) contracts a few month ago. Only extension in that period was Lampaert but I dont think he gets the same amount of cash as Terpstra or Gaviria...

If the deal with Deceuninck was completed some time ago like you suggested, why would Terpstra leave? He had everything he wanted at QS. Captain of the best classics team out there and probably a very good contract. Or do you really think that DE is giving him so much more money?

IIRC, Lefevere said it was 50% more. But my memory doesn't serve me that well, lately.

Yes, I think Direct Energie is willing to pay much for a rider who can get them out of the 'also run' category. Voeckler retired last year, Coquard left, Chavanel retired now, they don't really have distinctive, big names anymore, just the usual random french breakaway riders.

But I've read the interview with Lefevere since then :)

Valanga said:
tobydawq said:
Why does a "ce" result in a k sound? I didn't think any Latin pr Germanic languages could do that.

You shouldn't see it as c+e, but c+eu. And eu is like the French eu (as in Bleu, Dieu, ...) or your Danish ø.

Yes, but if you had a French word with the letter combination "ceu" it would be an s-sound. If you wanted a k-sound you would then have to spell it queu.

tobydawq said:
Valanga said:
tobydawq said:
Why does a "ce" result in a k sound? I didn't think any Latin pr Germanic languages could do that.

You shouldn't see it as c+e, but c+eu. And eu is like the French eu (as in Bleu, Dieu, ...) or your Danish ø.

Yes, but if you had a French word with the letter combination "ceu" it would be an s-sound. If you wanted a k-sound you would then have to spell it queu.

I thought the name was in Dutch/Flemish.

RedheadDane said:
tobydawq said:
Valanga said:
tobydawq said:

I thought the name was in Dutch/Flemish.

Yes, but the other poster said I should take it as a French eu.

Lexman said:
Logic-is-your-friend said:
Leinster said:
I'll be going with De-kuy-nink, until someone demonstrates otherwise with certainty.
Sounds like
curb
curve
surf

English speakers, it's probably best pronounced as "De Kerning".

There's no "r" in De Ceuninck

Just pronounce it as TheKing which is the literal tanslation

lol - No, there is no "r" in the Deceuninck, i never said there was, but English speakers will come much closer to pronouncing it correctly if they pronounce it as "kerning". Especially if pronounced the English way (not the American way).

can3478 said:
For QS fans, a great interview with Sigfrid Eggers(team's photographer), he talked about the riders, team dynamic...

https://www.facebook.com/rouleur.magazine/videos/1050846041768829/

Cool, thanks.

DNP-Old said:
Bakkie said:
Maybe they gonna contract a new rider?
Inviting espoirs to pre- and postseason trainingcamps isn’t out of the ordinary. 9/10 times is to get some tests and to see how they fit within a team or how their personality is. I think a contract as stagiare is more likely, unless they have another Vakoc saga.

Though Vacek is riding procontinental, wouldn't that rule him out as a WT stagiare?

Edit: Corrction Vakoc to Vacek