• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The DIY thread

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qBNZBLaRQGs

This is a video of my trip outside of Sacramento. The Days Inn and Motel 6 didn't have great pool hot tub areas so we whipped this together. I realized that I am not on film because I was holding the camera during filming. I did 90% of the work while these last peckerheadz were out eating berries and stuff
Fun vid, especially the fruit eating part. Digging up that dirt looks like a real pain.

The fire underneath the tub makes me think of the ancient art of boiling persons alive, though. :fearscream:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h8oIit1Ed9o

I was sent this and didn't look at it right away as was encouraged. Really really really cool on every level..especially the end.!
Wow, there must be a million different parts to that bike, he did a great job cleaning and refurbishing them all. (I won't *** next time I have to clean and/or re-paint my bicycle.)

He's a got really sweet workshop, and glad to be hearing he seems to be doing well.

Seeing as I'm not nearly as cool as the dude in the vid upthread who had refurbished the dirt bike (and due to laziness and/or sheer stupidity), I have failed to perform basic maintenance on my leaf vacuum/shredder machine - it took about thirty pulls just to get the damned thing started. I knew to replace the spark plug, but changing the oil and air filter as well... this is a thing?

After consulting some DIY vids, and actually performing the basic maintenance, this machine is once again happy - now it takes only about one or two pulls on the cord to get it started. I couldn't possibly be more mirthful.

So yeah, once your oil and air filter look like this...

... it's definitely time to change them both. And you don't need to take this to a pro, a simple $15 (for the oil and filter) DIY will do. :)

Last edited:
Plum size string lights on patio..
oil change 2 cars and a motorcycle..
New inner tubes in Flying Pigeon..* Which is one of the lowest quality bicycles I have ever possessed..doesn't keep me from loving it.
used a new paint strainer screen and a grinder to make a pizza crust standoff in hope of crisper future crust..
will chisel out upstairs shower pan and lay new file next week..modified dog resting cushion to fit on car seat so dog in the future can salivate and bark at other dogs and seagulls from front window.
made tent pole splints for aluminum poles that should be schitcanned..but w an abundance of repair sleeves I look forward to every single person saying I am cheap and should spring for a new tent....
I ordered dog nail clippers and some magic dust that will arrest bleeding from any miscut.
I also cleaned drivetrain on bicycle..
Mounted cleats on New shoes..3 pair of Giro shoes..never ever ever got a narrower shoe..I relaced the shoes ..anticipating a tiny bit of stretch otherwise a lucky club Jr will be wearing free new shoes..
this virus better give me a hole shot soon..no fishing..no camping..no race officiating..no races..no surfing..can't run my beasts on the beach..dogs are asking..how many more times are you going to shampoo us?

Good job, looks like you got a lot done during the lockdown!

I had to laugh at your dogs wondering how many more shampoos they will be getting, well, what else is there to do right now? :D

I constructed a cart for my dog that I had posted pictures of in the dog thread, and I washed some winter car tires today that my elderly dad won't be needing anymore being he no longer drives. Will try to sell them on Craig's list, and if there are no takers I will just have to haul them off and have them recycled. I'm definitely not rushing into the latter, they're really heavy.

Of all the boneheaded DIYs...

Being it got pretty warm over the weekend I decided to tackle the time-honored tradition of adjusting the lawn sprinklers for the summer, took me about 6 hours. Picture this...

Last summer the water pressure was very low, I had to cap off a couple of sprinkler heads just so I would have enough pressure to water even just a fraction of the yard. Same thing happened this time around, but I wasn't about to call the pros and have them charge me a small fortune for possibly having to dig up the entire yard in search for any pipe leaks. As a last-ditch effort I checked the main sprinkler water faucet (again), turns out it wasn't turned on all the way. D'oh!

Now everything is fine and dandy again, I'm certainly glad I didn't have to pay something like $70 to have someone come over and have them turn my faucet on. (This is reminiscent of that scene in National Lampoon's Xmas Vacation where the wife finds out the reason Clark's Xmas lights weren't working is because he hadn't turned the light switch on. D'oh!)

• Haha
Reactions: jmdirt

GVFTA

BANNED
Of all the boneheaded DIYs...

Being it got pretty warm over the weekend I decided to tackle the time-honored tradition of adjusting the lawn sprinklers for the summer, took me about 6 hours. Picture this...

Last summer the water pressure was very low, I had to cap off a couple of sprinkler heads just so I would have enough pressure to water even just a fraction of the yard. Same thing happened this time around, but I wasn't about to call the pros and have them charge me a small fortune for possibly having to dig up the entire yard in search for any pipe leaks. As a last-ditch effort I checked the main sprinkler water faucet (again), turns out it wasn't turned on all the way. D'oh!

Now everything is fine and dandy again, I'm certainly glad I didn't have to pay something like $70 to have someone come over and have them turn my faucet on. (This is reminiscent of that scene in National Lampoon's Xmas Vacation where the wife finds out the reason Clark's Xmas lights weren't working is because he hadn't turned the light switch on. D'oh!)

I feel for you. 2 years ago we bought a new ( to us) house in the fall. When winter set in we could not get the furnace to turn on. I checked the power from the thermostat and there was none. I replaced the unit on the wall and still nothing. After sleeping on the floor in front of the fireplace freezing for a few nights until a repairman could come he arrived did a quick check over of the system and showed us a switch on the wall that turns the power on and off. Yes I felt stupid and no he didn't charge us. I gave him money to buy lunch and shook our heads in embarrassment as he walked out the door assuring us he'd seen worse.

I feel for you. 2 years ago we bought a new ( to us) house in the fall. When winter set in we could not get the furnace to turn on. I checked the power from the thermostat and there was none. I replaced the unit on the wall and still nothing. After sleeping on the floor in front of the fireplace freezing for a few nights until a repairman could come he arrived did a quick check over of the system and showed us a switch on the wall that turns the power on and off. Yes I felt stupid and no he didn't charge us. I gave him money to buy lunch and shook our heads in embarrassment as he walked out the door assuring us he'd seen worse.
Yes, sometimes the DIYs can go horribly wrong, it happens to the best of us. :blush:

It was nice he didn't charge you and was okay with just some lunch money, with the Covid right now I'm not sure contractors are willing to make any unnecessary courtesy calls. So that's why I'm especially glad I was able to DIY the sprinklers myself.

Reactions: GVFTA
I'm putting screws through a small hole in one side of a 1x2 rectangle box metal brace, then through a tiny hole in the other side. The first two screws just ended up in the brace. My "magnetic" driver bit just isn't strong enough. I have to put 26 screws in so I need a stronger magnetic bit right? Even though I didn't want to go shopping with the maskless mob, I headed to home depot. None of the bits really have a strong magnetic hold. One of the employees who saw me playing with every bit came over and said "none of those are worth a sh*t, just magnetize regular bits". I've known a few people that have the electromagnet boxes to magnetize things, but I assume that is more than I want to spend to magnetize a few driver bits. He walks me around the corner and points at a section on the wall with several inexpensive options. I bought one of these and it works great, just push the bit back and forth through the blue box about 10 times and the bit holds the screws really well!
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Magnet-Blue-Magnetizer-Demagnetizer-96424/203613158

I'm putting screws through a small hole in one side of a 1x2 rectangle box metal brace, then through a tiny hole in the other side. The first two screws just ended up in the brace. My "magnetic" driver bit just isn't strong enough. I have to put 26 screws in so I need a stronger magnetic bit right? Even though I didn't want to go shopping with the maskless mob, I headed to home depot. None of the bits really have a strong magnetic hold. One of the employees who saw me playing with every bit came over and said "none of those are worth a sh*t, just magnetize regular bits". I've known a few people that have the electromagnet boxes to magnetize things, but I assume that is more than I want to spend to magnetize a few driver bits. He walks me around the corner and points at a section on the wall with several inexpensive options. I bought one of these and it works great, just push the bit back and forth through the blue box about 10 times and the bit holds the screws really well!
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Magnet-Blue-Magnetizer-Demagnetizer-96424/203613158
That's really cool (and inexpensive), I didn't know magnetizers like that existed! What is the project you're working on? Or, what are you ultimately making?

Speaking of bits, I keep on breaking the thinnest 1/16 drill bits, thankfully I can just buy a packet of those instead of having to buy a whole new multi-size set. I just hate it when I break those tiny ones!:mad:

Of all the demoralizing DIYs...

Every summer I grow some tomatoes, a few years ago, instead of just buying a plant, I started growing them from seed. I still buy the seed, but, there's only a small window of time where the seed needs to germinate and then go into the ground because of the rain and general weather in my area come autumn. So the timing is crucial.

So this year I bought this fancy seed that is coated with some colored crap, I thought wow, this should be neato! Well, a couple of weeks later neato seed is not germinating, there is absolutely nothing happening in my starter pots. So I went back to the cheapy seed and a week later it did germinate, but once I put the seedlings in the ground the sprinkler's flow was too strong and it broke them. At this point it's too late in the season to start afresh with new seed all over again, so I am thoroughly demoralized with these *** tomatoes!

I did end up buying a whole plant for $2, so unless some other calamity occurs I should have some homegrown tomatoes this year. And for the first time ever I'm going to try to grow some cucumbers (from seed), this should be interesting.

That's really cool (and inexpensive), I didn't know magnetizers like that existed! What is the project you're working on? Or, what are you ultimately making?

Speaking of bits, I keep on breaking the thinnest 1/16 drill bits, thankfully I can just buy a packet of those instead of having to buy a whole new multi-size set. I just hate it when I break those tiny ones!:mad:
My wife decided that she wanted a garden shed so I'm building that. 224 screws and 16 bolts! The universe pointed its middle fingers at me once again...all I have left to finish is the roof: I put the first side on, and then put the second one up but something was 'off'. I pulled and pushed and twisted and said a lot of profane things. Then I just happened to be looking at at it from the correct angle and realized that it looked shorter (front to back) so the flange wouldn't fit over the roof beam. I measured it, the beam, and the other roof panel, and sure enough, its 3/8 shorter. I took the other side off and pressed them together to confirm and it was clearly shorter. The company is sending a new roof panel, but due to high demand and reduced workforce (physical spacing at the factory), it will be a while before I get it.

Those little skinny bits won't tolerate any side load. Cobalt bits are definitely tougher. Carbide bits seem to break easier. The standard HSS bits that you get in the packs are fine for softer things like wood, plastic, or even aluminium, but steel will eat them quickly. Add a little heat and a tiny catch/side load...snap. I bought some of the Harbor Freight bits that all have the same size shank so its quicker to change bits as I increase hole size. All of the small bits 3/16 and smaller are all off center now. Probably a get what you pay for thing.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
My wife decided that she wanted a garden shed so I'm building that. 224 screws and 16 bolts! The universe pointed its middle fingers at me once again...all I have left to finish is the roof: I put the first side on, and then put the second one up but something was 'off'. I pulled and pushed and twisted and said a lot of profane things. Then I just happened to be looking at at it from the correct angle and realized that it looked shorter (front to back) so the flange wouldn't fit over the roof beam. I measured it, the beam, and the other roof panel, and sure enough, its 3/8 shorter. I took the other side off and pressed them together to confirm and it was clearly shorter. The company is sending a new roof panel, but due to high demand and reduced workforce (physical spacing at the factory), it will be a while before I get it.

Those little skinny bits won't tolerate any side load. Cobalt bits are definitely tougher. Carbide bits seem to break easier. The standard HSS bits that you get in the packs are fine for softer things like wood, plastic, or even aluminium, but steel will eat them quickly. Add a little heat and a tiny catch/side load...snap. I bought some of the Harbor Freight bits that all have the same size shank so its quicker to change bits as I increase hole size. All of the small bits 3/16 and smaller are all off center now. Probably a get what you pay for thing.
Egads, that sounds like quite the project! Glad you found out the product was defective rather than you messing something up, it's too bad you have to wait for a replacement. But under the circumstances it's understandable.

I ended up ordering a packet of the cheapy titanium coated drill bits, my next project involves converting a regular sprinkler system to a drip irrigation one for a section of the garden. (I figured I would be more efficient with my water usage.) Apparently the hose I ordered has those little drip holes 18" apart, I may need more of them. So I'm getting ready to break more bits while drilling what I assume is some kind of a flexible plastic hose, I've never actually seen or held it firsthand.

Okay, this isn't much of a DIY, but being it's really hot outside in my parts and we're still under lockdown I had to find something to do indoors. So...

I had unearthed a sharpening stone at my dad's while doing some cleaning, had to watch a vid first on how to sharpen things properly. So far I have sharpened just about every knife and pair of scissors, never knew I owned so many scissors!

I'm as giddy as a school girl, now everything is nice and sharp again. :D

Being it's still hot outside this time I worked on a legitimate indoor DIY, I had decided my dad needed one of those safety bars in the bathroom that can handle a certain amount of weight, being the walls are made of cardboard he had already ripped out the towel bar because he was using it to hold on to. So this involved finding the studs, I had never done this before but wasn't about to spend money on a stud finder. Youtube once again came through, I learned you can find studs with a simple magnet. Why that works I'm not sure (the studs are supposed to be wooden), but I won't question it as long as it works and I don't electrocute myself by drilling through electrical wiring.

I needed to do some patching to cover up the old holes with spackle, and then had to do some painting. As luck would have it Home Depot had a custom mixed paint color that was close enough to what I wanted, somebody had changed their mind about it after having it mixed, so the paint was on sale for only $9. (Normally a gallon of custom color would cost about $30, so $9 vs. $30, I'll take the can for $9, Alex.)

Ta-daa! Isn't it beautious? It's a bit darker than the previous color, but I'm happy with it. And naturally I'm always happy when I can find a good deal.

Trikey, the magnet locates nails in the studs, or maybe metal fasteners.

I could use something like that myself. I'm mostly recovered from a broken leg, but still nervous about standing up on potentially wet surfaces. As it is, I keep a chair in the shower stall, and mostly sit down when bathing. Given my age, I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to continue this indefinitely.

Why did you need to buy a gallon of paint? Seems as though a pint would have been plenty. I guess you couldn't get the right color for that.

Last edited:
Trikey, the magnet locates nails in the studs, or maybe metal fasteners.

I could use something like that myself. I'm mostly recovered from a broken leg, but still nervous about standing up on potentially wet surfaces. As it is, I keep a chair in the shower stall, and mostly sit down when bathing. Given my age, I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to continue this indefinitely.

Why did you need to buy a gallon of paint? Seems as though a pint would have been plenty. I guess you couldn't get the right color for that.
Ah, metallic components in the studs makes sense, I've just never seen what things look like behind the drywall. And you're right, I didn't need a whole gallon, but having worked at a hardware store myself years ago I know how busy they can get on the weekends, especially in the paint department. People can get crazy picky about their paint, so they take up a ton of time with the sales people. I just wanted to grab a can of paint and get the heck out of there.

Shower chairs are nice, I still have one from when my mom broke her leg. And I've had a bunch of elderly clients who simply couldn't even stand up long enough in the bathtub, for them the chairs were a necessity.

I would definitely recommend the safety bar if you're having issues with mobility, while they're not as pretty as towel bars at a certain point safety becomes more important than cosmetics.

Sorry about the broken leg. :(

If anyone has personal experience with baitcasting rods w medium to heavy action,which looks like 30-50lbs for most manufacturer, please comment. I don't go in saltwater on a boat often enough to justifying a big expensive rig. My trip to Bahia Los Angeles has me wanting my own setup. All the places near me are sold out..it would appear( and I am happy!!!) That people have purchased lots of fishing gear and other outdoor stuff during the pandemic..including clay pigeons!!!

If anyone has personal experience with baitcasting rods w medium to heavy action,which looks like 30-50lbs for most manufacturer, please comment. I don't go in saltwater on a boat often enough to justifying a big expensive rig. My trip to Bahia Los Angeles has me wanting my own setup. All the places near me are sold out..it would appear( and I am happy!!!) That people have purchased lots of fishing gear and other outdoor stuff during the pandemic..including clay pigeons!!!

I've done a lot of river fishing for salmon with a spinning rod and 20 or 30 lb line. Used the same set up to troll deep for lake trout. Not expensive at all, can't remember what I paid for the rod and reel combo, maybe in the range of $40-60?

I once bought a nice replacement rod, for somewhat lighter tackle, on Amazon, really cheap.

Also got a rod for @$63 bucks..so I hardly went to the middle or high end I hope that the setup will last for the limited use I put it through. I catch most of my fish at the store and I didn't see any for and reel combos that can get beer from the ice chest,which is my specialty. No matter what I buy ,most fish feel secure and little fear from my skills

Reactions: Merckx index
This isn't really a DIY, and thank goodness for that because, having lived in the US the majority of my life I have never seen one of these electric shower heads before. I guess I wouldn't mind using one if ever traveling to where they are common, but trying to fix or replace it is a resounding NO WAY!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as7wp40RhZQ&ab_channel=CarlChristy

Being this is an international forum I'm curious as to whether you guys have ever had to use an electric showerhead. I'm familiar with the shower boxes on walls that are used in Europe for hot water, but I'm just astonished by the mere existence of these electric shower heads. You learn something new every day!

TRENDING THREADS