The Dog Thread

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Castman

BANNED
Nov 23, 2020
How are are all of the pooches settling in to the winter weather? If you don't have cold weather, I don't want to hear about it! :) Buddy doesn't mind the temps, but he doesn't like the wet very much. The elk are moving down into the foothills, and he thinks that it would be fun to roll in the piles of elk marbles, and he can't understand why I won't let him.

EDIT: is that post just above me spam?
Never would have thought my first post on a cycling forum would be in a dog thread, but damn we all love our furry friends.

I live in a little town above 9000ft in SW Colorado and winter is setting in. Have a Pyrenees/Bernese mix named Skate. She is just getting into her element. Napped for a couple hours in the snowfall on the snowmobile cargo sled the other day. As far as the elk and moose droppings go, I gave up a few years ago when she was a pup.

Never would have thought my first post on a cycling forum would be in a dog thread, but damn we all love our furry friends.

I live in a little town above 9000ft in SW Colorado and winter is setting in. Have a Pyrenees/Bernese mix named Skate. She is just getting into her element. Napped for a couple hours in the snowfall on the snowmobile cargo sled the other day. As far as the elk and moose droppings go, I gave up a few years ago when she was a pup.
Skate sounds lovely, can you post a picture of her, especially if she's rolling around in the snow? (Not the elk droppings, although that would be pretty funny.)

Cool, Burnese are great dogs. Our Mini Schnauzer is friends with a Burnese Mountain dog in our suburb. They've known each other since they were pups and it's hilarious seeing the two of them together.

They love to play and it works well because the Burnese has displaced hips meaning our little guy can keep up no worries.

Cool, Burnese are great dogs. Our Mini Schnauzer is friends with a Burnese Mountain dog in our suburb. They've known each other since they were pups and it's hilarious seeing the two of them together.

They love to play and it works well because the Burnese has displaced hips meaning our little guy can keep up no worries.
This definitely deserves a photo, can you take/post one of those two playing around, pretty please?:D

Castman

BANNED
Nov 23, 2020
A 9kg dog playing with a 50kg dog is a good sight :D
We live in a small mountain town of about 500 year round residents and Skate has 2 siblings here. They are known to find each other quite regularly and wander town together. One sibling has a 6 lb Yorkie as a house mate that likes to join them on their wanderings (in the summer months!). We get 1000+ tourists a day in the dry months and I can only imagine how many people have taken pics or videos of the 4 together. It is a sight to see be seen!

Reactions: 42x16ss
We live in a small mountain town of about 500 year round residents and Skate has 2 siblings here. They are known to find each other quite regularly and wander town together. One sibling has a 6 lb Yorkie as a house mate that likes to join them on their wanderings (in the summer months!). We get 1000+ tourists a day in the dry months and I can only imagine how many people have taken pics or videos of the 4 together. It is a sight to see be seen!
Are you a bot?

File under: research that comes to a blatantly obvious conclusion that everyone already was aware of:

Researchers at Eötvös Loránd University in Budapest measured the brain activity of family dogs using a technique called electroencephalography, which involved taping electrodes to the animals' heads.

The researchers played the dogs recorded instruction words they knew (such as "sit"), similar but nonsense words ("sut"), and then, very different nonsense words ("bep").

Experts found that dogs, who had not been specifically trained for the experiment, could quickly and clearly tell the difference between the known instruction words and the very different nonsense words...However, the animals did not pay attention to the small differences between known words and similar-sounding nonsense words. Instead, the canine study subjects processed them as the same word,
"it seems like they don't really pay attention to all of the speech sounds," [the researcher] said, adding that further research could explain why...the study also confirmed that dogs actually listen to human speech, as suggested by previous studies -- and don't just respond to familiar humans or body language.

Reactions: jmdirt
File under: research that comes to a blatantly obvious conclusion that everyone already was aware of:

Ah well, I'm sure most of us dog owners already love our dogs anyway, even if our dogs get their commands only halfway right. It just makes us humans feel important, and maybe even loved. (Mostly when it comes to food, of course, any dog can be taught a command when it comes to food. :))

I am super confused..I have read stories about families adopting animals from disasters..feels good..have read stuff about demand increase during pandemic for pets to adopt..again feels good..have seen and read things about people expressing so many emotions about what animals have meant to them while they have been isolated..near tear joy..
but today I listened to a guy say that now is " drop off season " for pets..there is seasonal abandonment of animals..I hope he is wrong..
I don't think I can fully understand ditching your dogs no matter what

food update
we are enjoying our second log of Freshpet Chunky Beef raw food..it has visible carrots,rice and green bits that are peas. Have been mixing it @70-30 w the 30% being their dry food..it gets the two tongues up approval rating..they eat out of stainless bowls that at one time had a rubber anti slip,anti noise function. When you give them anything that they really really like they will lick the bowl clean and scoot it around on the concrete until there is no remaining flavor left.pretty noisy but lasts only a few minutes

I am super confused..I have read stories about families adopting animals from disasters..feels good..have read stuff about demand increase during pandemic for pets to adopt..again feels good..have seen and read things about people expressing so many emotions about what animals have meant to them while they have been isolated..near tear joy..
but today I listened to a guy say that now is " drop off season " for pets..there is seasonal abandonment of animals..I hope he is wrong..
I don't think I can fully understand ditching your dogs no matter what

food update
we are enjoying our second log of Freshpet Chunky Beef raw food..it has visible carrots,rice and green bits that are peas. Have been mixing it @70-30 w the 30% being their dry food..it gets the two tongues up approval rating..they eat out of stainless bowls that at one time had a rubber anti slip,anti noise function. When you give them anything that they really really like they will lick the bowl clean and scoot it around on the concrete until there is no remaining flavor left.pretty noisy but lasts only a few minutes
I think that January is the biggest drop off month in Boise. I don't understand either. I guess if you have to choose between feeding your family and feeding your dog? I donate a fair amount of money to the Idaho Humane Society to hopefully help with this (they have assistance programs to help feed pets), plus I give dog food to homeless people with dogs.

As far as the higher than normal adoptions since March goes, I hope that doesn't mean higher than normal drop offs, but it might.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Just when I thought humans couldn't get any more stupid they surprise me and do this to me, but a dog's gotta do what a dog's gotta do if he wants to get some very special treats for xmas. (It's entirely possible I may get another bath right before xmas so I don't stink up the whole joint, it's best to not even think about it.)

Anyhoo, Happy Holidays to my fellow canines and any other household pets (even those pesky kitties because I'm feeling generous at the mo'), stay safe, and don't eat anything you're not supposed to. Nobody wants to see you in the ER over the holidays!

Paw-fives,

The Tobes

So my vet had sent me a link to some useful tips on how to keep pets (the furry kind) safe during the holidays, most of these I was already aware of. However, I was not aware that raisins, currants, and grapes might not be so good for dogs, and it didn't even occur to me that someone might want to try to give their dog fruitcake. Fruitcake? Seriously? Surely not even dogs would contemplate ingesting such an abomination, but then again, they probably would.

Anyhoo, most of you are probably aware of all this stuff, but if this is your first holiday season owning a cat or dog you might find these tips helpful.

https://vcahospitals.com/shop/home/articles/tips-for-a-safe-hazard-free-pet-holiday?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BroDeal Non-Cycling Discussions 0
T Non-Cycling Discussions 26

ASK THE COMMUNITY