• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Dog Thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
...glad toby is AOK...............

not much goes through my dogs mind...............food............hope that greedy *** is gonna give me a fair
share ....food............f*cked if i'm going out in the rain...........food etc

today it's raining i too am avoiding venturing out ............i stroke the dog and the horror on her poor face 'cos
she thinks i'm rousing her to go out

Mark L

TR looks like those greedy guys at photobucket have stolen your pics...

Bad news about Toby the Tricycle Rider, turns out that nasty tumor on his front leg isn't a fatty tumor after all, apparently it's actually Spindle Cell sarcoma. (Had him re-examined recently by a different vet.) He has an appointment with an oncology surgeon next week, have no idea if the sarcoma has spread elsewhere. Toby certainly isn't acting like it.

Pending on the findings once the surgeon goes in the choices are either removing the tumor as much as possible, or removing the entire leg. Given Toby is 9 years old I'd rather just have him put down than having to put him through the pain of an amputation and having him to adjust living without a front leg, I'm a strong believer in quality of life over quantity.

This has been such a shite summer - dad had a heart attack, mom busted her ankle by tripping over a cord and somehow ended up with cellulitis, and who knows what's going on with Toby.

Feck this summer, feck it all to hell!

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Bad news about Toby the Tricycle Rider, turns out that nasty tumor on his front leg isn't a fatty tumor after all, apparently it's actually Spindle Cell sarcoma. (Had him re-examined recently by a different vet.) He has an appointment with an oncology surgeon next week, have no idea if the sarcoma has spread elsewhere. Toby certainly isn't acting like it.

Pending on the findings once the surgeon goes in the choices are either removing the tumor as much as possible, or removing the entire leg. Given Toby is 9 years old I'd rather just have him put down than having to put him through the pain of an amputation and having him to adjust living without a front leg, I'm a strong believer in quality of life over quantity.

This has been such a shite summer - dad had a heart attack, mom busted her ankle by tripping over a cord and somehow ended up with cellulitis, and who knows what's going on with Toby.

Feck this summer, feck it all to hell!
My thoughts are with you and I'll send some positive energy your way! Let's hope that Toby's tumor can just be removed. Obviously consult with your vet, but I am aware of several older dogs who quickly adapt to being tripedal. I even had a friend who had a 10 year old dog lose its back legs, got a two wheeled cart, and within a few months was ripping around the field with the other dogs. Critters are amazing at just rolling with it. I'm sure that it depends on the individual case though.

I hope your mom and dad are doing better too!

Re: Re:

jmdirt said:
My thoughts are with you and I'll send some positive energy your way! Let's hope that Toby's tumor can just be removed. Obviously consult with your vet, but I am aware of several older dogs who quickly adapt to being tripedal. I even had a friend who had a 10 year old dog lose it back legs, got a two wheeled cart, and within a few months was ripping around the field with the other dogs. Critters are amazing at just trolling with it. I'm sure that it depends on the individual case though.

I hope your mom and dad are doing better too!
I thank you for your very kind thoughts.

I'm trying to keep it together as much as I can, but it's a bit rough right now.

Okay, on to happier things now... currently I'm babysitting a Yorkshire Terrier and a cat, the Yorkie is ten years old and has a heart defect. So hopefully she won't drop dead before her owners return. (Crossing my fingers REAL hard. Ha!)

She's really fun though, very hyper and energetic, can't get a good piccy of her because she won't stand still. (Especially when she has one of her fetching toys in her mouth.) So this blurry pic will have to do.
2rw7nyx.jpg

The kitty is massive - he's the biggest and furriest cat I've ever seen. But he's really friendly too, he and the dog like to play a game of chase... think they mostly just tease each other.
i3dkww.jpg

Right, so here's the latest on Toby the Tricycle Rider (cause I know you guys have just been dying for it)...

He had the tumor from his leg removed today, he'll be in the animal hospital overnight. Apparently he's being unruly (well, who wouldn't be?), so he has to be sedated.

The tumor tissue will be sent to histology next to see what the heck this stuff actually was, will not know for about a week. But in the meantime we are hoping he'll do well in the animal hospital overnight. We should be free to pick him up tomorrow afternoon.

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Right, so here's the latest on Toby the Tricycle Rider (cause I know you guys have just been dying for it)...

He had the tumor from his leg removed today, he'll be in the animal hospital overnight. Apparently he's being unruly (well, who wouldn't be?), so he has to be sedated.

The tumor tissue will be sent to histology next to see what the heck this stuff actually was, will not know for about a week. But in the meantime we are hoping he'll do well in the animal hospital overnight. We should be free to pick him up tomorrow afternoon.
So far so good. Give us an update tomorrow.

jmdirt said:
Toby is doing well so far, thank you for asking. :)

His leg is all in bandages and naturally he's limping, but his spirits are high... the appetite is still there and he's peeing all over his usual landmarks. Pooping is another issue though - being he's on certain pain meds he may be slightly constipated.

He has a follow-up tomorrow with his surgeon, hopefully the wound itself is healing properly.

Tricycle Rider said:
jmdirt said:
Toby is doing well so far, thank you for asking. :)

His leg is all in bandages and naturally he's limping, but his spirits are high... the appetite is still there and he's peeing all over his usual landmarks. Pooping is another issue though - being he's on certain pain meds he may be slightly constipated.

He has a follow-up tomorrow with his surgeon, hopefully the wound itself is healing properly.
That's good to hear! When my old girl was in her last months she was on pain meds and wet food helped her with constipation.

jmdirt said:
That's good to hear! When my old girl was in her last months she was on pain meds and wet food helped her with constipation.
Thank you for the tip!

Toby is doing well so far, as well as can be expected according to the doc. I haven't seen the wound itself yet because of the bandages, apparently they had to cut the tissue down to the bone because the skin/muscle on his leg is so thin.

At least he's used to wearing the "lampshade", I had him wear it before his surgery because he had quite the flea issue and was chewing himself up. (I gave him his flea treatment way too late, I just don't like using it because the stuff is so toxic.) Once he found out he could still eat, sleep and poop with it on, though, he was a-okay with it. :)

m7b3gz.jpg

Rather positive news about Toby...

While the histology people had said his tumor had been a low-grade Spindle Cell sarcoma they had also said the tumor had all been removed, including a couple of millimeters of a healthy margin. So while he doesn't look too happy or thrilled in this piccy we're hopeful Toby may still have a few good years left in him yet!

30vepfk.jpg

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Rather positive news about Toby...

While the histology people had said his tumor had been a low-grade Spindle Cell sarcoma they had also said the tumor had all been removed, including a couple of millimeters of a healthy margin. So while he doesn't look too happy or thrilled in this piccy we're hopeful Toby may still have a few good years left in him yet!

30vepfk.jpg
WOOHOO Toby! Once you get rid of that piece of %$#! around your neck you will be good to go! :D

Re:

jmdirt said:
How is Toby doing?
Toby is doing all right. He got the bandages removed, so I finally got to take a looky at what they did to him. They took a whole chunk out, so this will take a while. But at least the wound stopped weeping, that made me a bit nervous.

I took a piccy this morning, don't look if you're squeamish!

fcmiz8.jpg

He's still limping and still has the stitches, but his appetite is good, as are his spirits. He still has to wear that stupid lamp shade... I wouldn't mind if he licked his leg as dogs apparently have some powerful enzymes or whatever, but I don't want him to undo his stitches. So the lamp shade will have to stay for now.

Thank you for asking. :)

Re:

JayKosta said:
I'm glad he's doing OK.

Best wishes,
Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

Thank you, Jay.

Things could be going better with Toby - he had his stitches removed earlier this week, but the wound is slightly infected. So he's all bandaged up again and is back on antibiotics.

We have to use lots of additional tape (plus plastic bags) to wrap his leg so it stays dry when he goes out to pee in the rain, I'm glad I found a good deal on self-adhering sports tape at Amazon. At the store they charge $4 for a 2"x5' roll, at Amazon I paid only $14 for a pack of 12 rolls! (Given Toby's other vet bills I'm trying to save a buck where ever I can.)

Just look at the selection of dazzling colors, which one should I use first? :D

3309qb6.jpg

JayKosta said:
they're all good, and he'll be flashy looking!

You'll probably have some left for DIY projects!

Jay
That's an excellent idea, Jay!

I saw a picture of somebody who had covered their white leg cast with the sports tape just to make it more colorful and interesting, I think that's a huge waste being the tape is so pricey. But I've never had a limb in a cast for weeks and weeks myself, who knows, maybe I would have done the same.

Tricycle Rider said:
JayKosta said:
I'm glad he's doing OK.

Best wishes,
Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

Thank you, Jay.

Things could be going better with Toby - he had his stitches removed earlier this week, but the wound is slightly infected. So he's all bandaged up again and is back on antibiotics.

We have to use lots of additional tape (plus plastic bags) to wrap his leg so it stays dry when he goes out to pee in the rain, I'm glad I found a good deal on self-adhering sports tape at Amazon. At the store they charge $4 for a 2"x5' roll, at Amazon I paid only $14 for a pack of 12 rolls! (Given Toby's other vet bills I'm trying to save a buck where ever I can.)

Just look at the selection of dazzling colors, which one should I use first? :D

3309qb6.jpg
Oh, yah, Toby will be stylin' with his new tape! :lol:
Keep getting better pup!

jmdirt said:
Oh, yah, Toby will be stylin' with his new tape! :lol:
Keep getting better pup!
I'm peeing in the rain, still peeing in the rain
What a glorious feeling, I'm happy again
I'm happy and free - as long as my owners wrap my leg correctly
I'm peeing in the rain!

(Lyrics submitted by Toby, production aided by yours truly, TR.)

But seriously, thank you all for your well-wishes, this has been much more stressful than I'd like to admit to myself at this time.