• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Dog Thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
jmdirt said:
Oh, yah, Toby will be stylin' with his new tape! :lol:
Keep getting better pup!
I'm peeing in the rain, still peeing in the rain
What a glorious feeling, I'm happy again
I'm happy and free - as long as my owners wrap my leg correctly
I'm peeing in the rain!

(Lyrics submitted by Toby, production aided by yours truly, TR.)

But seriously, thank you all for your well-wishes, this has been much more stressful than I'd like to admit to myself at this time.
As you know, I am all too aware of the mental/emotional toll sick furry kids have on us. Take care of Toby, but take care of yourself too!

Thanks again, guys.

Toby says hello, tomorrow he's going to the vet for a checkup. I can't wait to throw him into the bathtub, he hasn't had a bath or hair trim since his surgery. I do at least wash his stinky beard with a washcloth, but that's not the same as a luxurious bubble bath.

2w3w134.jpg

In addition to the tape I ordered these stylish booties for him, hopefully they'll fit halfway decently. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073F68GTS

Update on Toby - his vet is very pleased with Toby's progress, he's off the antibiotics and off of any super expensive ointments. (Unfortunately Toby does still need to wear the bandaging, this week's color is yellow.) If all goes well Toby should be able to run free and wild as much as he wants, but only after he sees the vet next week.

PS - Toby says hello to ya'll, I took this pic in the middle of his siesta time today.
20kxg8h.jpg

Update on Toby (cause I know you guys are just dying for it)... he's doing very well now, however, there was a bit of a setback last week.

Because he started having some abrasions where the bandaging stopped (the wound is in an awkward place on his leg) I decided to take all the bandaging off to see if there was any more stuff under the bandage, his leg looked great. But then, while no one was home, Toby somehow got the lampshade off and proceeded to lick his leg raw.

I was just horrified, the leg was all red and stuff... now what? Should I put some bandages back on? I tried that (plus fist aid ointment) for a day or two and it didn't seem to work. So then I just started blotting the leg with an "oatmeal bath" and left any bandaging off, his leg is looking great again.There are just a few small scabs and his hair is growing back, so, yay!

Toby doesn't have an appointment with the vet till next week, I think she'll be very pleased. And I feel like I can finally breathe again, the lampshade has to stay on till everything is perfectly healed, though. You certainly can't leave Toby to his own devices, that silly animal.

2gwb6us.jpg

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Update on Toby (cause I know you guys are just dying for it)... he's doing very well now, however, there was a bit of a setback last week.

Because he started having some abrasions where the bandaging stopped (the wound is in an awkward place on his leg) I decided to take all the bandaging off to see if there was any more stuff under the bandage, his leg looked great. But then, while no one was home, Toby somehow got the lampshade off and proceeded to lick his leg raw.

I was just horrified, the leg was all red and stuff... now what? Should I put some bandages back on? I tried that (plus fist aid ointment) for a day or two and it didn't seem to work. So then I just started blotting the leg with an "oatmeal bath" and left any bandaging off, his leg is looking great again.There are just a few small scabs and his hair is growing back, so, yay!

Toby doesn't have an appointment with the vet till next week, I think she'll be very pleased. And I feel like I can finally breathe again, the lampshade has to stay on till everything is perfectly healed, though. You certainly can't leave Toby to his own devices, that silly animal.

2gwb6us.jpg
Good news!

I've seen some dogs just lick enough to clean the area, and other dogs lick the wound so much they make it worse.

jmdirt said:
Good news!

I've seen some dogs just lick enough to clean the area, and other dogs lick the wound so much they make it worse.
Yep, the latter is Toby for ya.

The wound itself is actually on the back of his leg (thankfully he wasn't able to get to it during his licking session), the little scabs you see on the front part in the picture are all Toby's work.

He managed to break the lampshade he got from the vet, so I had to get him another one. The thing wasn't cheap, it was $20 for a stupid piece of plastic. They have even more expensive ones that are more like inflatable neck rests, they cost almost $40!

At least this 'shade is purple and more durable, Toby is getting more and more glamorous with age.

xclliq.jpg

Latest update on the Tobster...

The vet is indeed very happy with the progress of the leg, Toby no longer has to wear a bandage. (I'm glad she didn't *** me out for removing it a while back). However, dog has some kind of a bumpy, itchy rash or skin infection, so Toby is back on antibiotics for that.

We no longer have to visit the oncology people (yay!), glad they were able to patch the animal up. We are not to bathe him and Toby still has to wear the lampshade till everything is perfectly healed (he just can't leave the leg alone), and if the rash doesn't clear up or comes back we'll have to see a vet dermatologist. It might be some kind of an allergy, which, well, it's hard enough to isolate an allergy with humans let alone an animal who can't talk.

Anyhoo, Toby is almost 100% now, I'm glad the oncology people knew what they were doing. (I met a lady with a very cute little dog in the waiting room, her poor pup had had breast cancer, which the vet was able to remove. It's amazing what vets can do nowadays, and thank goodness for that.)

2a82k4j.jpg

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Latest update on the Tobster...

The vet is indeed very happy with the progress of the leg, Toby no longer has to wear a bandage. (I'm glad she didn't *** me out for removing it a while back). However, dog has some kind of a bumpy, itchy rash or skin infection, so Toby is back on antibiotics for that.

We no longer have to visit the oncology people (yay!), glad they were able to patch the animal up. We are not to bathe him and Toby still has to wear the lampshade till everything is perfectly healed (he just can't leave the leg alone), and if the rash doesn't clear up or comes back we'll have to see a vet dermatologist. It might be some kind of an allergy, which, well, it's hard enough to isolate an allergy with humans let alone an animal who can't talk.

Anyhoo, Toby is almost 100% now, I'm glad the oncology people knew what they were doing. (I met a lady with a very cute little dog in the waiting room, her poor pup had had breast cancer, which the vet was able to remove. It's amazing what vets can do nowadays, and thank goodness for that.)

2a82k4j.jpg
Good new! I wonder if the skin issue is a reaction to the bandages? He is going to be crazy excited when he finally gets rid of the lampshade...you too probably!

jmdirt said:
Good new! I wonder if the skin issue is a reaction to the bandages? He is going to be crazy excited when he finally gets rid of the lampshade...you too probably!
It could have been the bandages, it could be food, who knows what Toby gets all into. But I'll definitely be happy once he gets rid of the lampshade, he keeps on running into things with it, including my legs. Ouch! It's actually pretty funny, you can here him coming from a mile away.

Here's a happier picture I just took... the lampshade is obviously still there and I put a shirt on him because it's freezing outside. (Not that he really needs it, but what the heck.) The t-shirt was a gift from my brother from Texas, I have no idea how he thought I would fit into it. But at least it sort of halfway fits Toby, just for today he'll be a Longhorn mascot.

15s6frn.jpg

Thanks again for your kind thoughts, it's been a rather rough road lately, but things are looking up now. :)

Right, I suppose this is what happens when you don't have kids - you spoil your pets rotten! Case in point...

Now that Toby is better and it's getting cold outside I decided to alter his winter sweater... the antlers on the hoodie looked too holiday-like (and frankly kinda stupid), so I cut the hoodie off and knitted a turtleneck-like addition to it.

Not sure the animal appreciates my work, but at least I'm making sure he keeps up that glamorous look he's acquired recently. (And yes, here he is just modeling his new sweater, the lampshade went back on right after I took the sweater off.)

Before:

kwab4.jpg

After: :cool:

8ysx01.jpg

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Right, I suppose this is what happens when you don't have kids - you spoil your pets rotten! Case in point...

Now that Toby is better and it's getting cold outside I decided to alter his winter sweater... the antlers on the hoodie looked too holiday-like (and frankly kinda stupid), so I cut the hoodie off and knitted a turtleneck-like addition to it.

Not sure the animal appreciates my work, but at least I'm making sure he keeps up that glamorous look he's acquired recently. (And yes, here he is just modeling his new sweater, the lampshade went back on right after I took the sweater off.)

Before:

kwab4.jpg

After: :cool:

8ysx01.jpg
:D

This could go in the DIY thread as well, I had to make some alterations to Toby's raincoat. I had ordered it from Amazon, it fit so poorly that upon requesting to return it for a refund they didn't even want it back, they just told me to keep it for free. They must have been aware of what a crap product it is.

I had to add some velcro strips, this was a total pain in the arse because the strips are so thick my sowing machine wouldn't go through them. (As much as I love Toby I am not breaking my sewing machine for him!) So I had to sew them on by hand, this was also a pain because the glue on the strips made the needle and thread all sticky, this is something I'm not willing to do regularly.

I also had to sew the hood down, I'm not sure what the idea behind the hood was because if anything it's too large and covers the dog's eyes. Like I said, this is a real crap product!

Anyhoo, I fixed the raincoat up enough so it halfway fits, Toby should be able to frolic in the rain comfortably now.
345okkh.jpg

PS - Against doctor's orders I gave the animal a baby shampoo bath the other day, he was just getting too stinky. (Toby is aware of when he stinks, he doesn't fight getting into the bathtub anymore, he actually enjoys it. He especially enjoys getting his butt washed, think he wants to feel fresh for the lady canines.) His rash is much better now, it's almost gone. So, yay!

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
This could go in the DIY thread as well, I had to make some alterations to Toby's raincoat. I had ordered it from Amazon, it fit so poorly that upon requesting to return it for a refund they didn't even want it back, they just told me to keep it for free. They must have been aware of what a crap product it is.

I had to add some velcro strips, this was a total pain in the **** because the strips are so thick my sowing machine wouldn't go through them. (As much as I love Toby I am not breaking my sewing machine for him!) So I had to sew them on by hand, this was also a pain because the glue on the strips made the needle and thread all sticky, this is something I'm not willing to do regularly.

I also had to sew the hood down, I'm not sure what the idea behind the hood was because if anything it's too large and covers the dog's eyes. Like I said, this is a real crap product!

Anyhoo, I fixed the raincoat up enough so it halfway fits, Toby should be able to frolic in the rain comfortably now.
345okkh.jpg

PS - Against doctor's orders I gave the animal a baby shampoo bath the other day, he was just getting too stinky. (Toby is aware of when he stinks, he doesn't fight getting into the bathtub anymore, he actually enjoys it. He especially enjoys getting his butt washed, think he wants to feel fresh for the lady canines.) His rash is much better now, it's almost gone. So, yay!
Happy Thanksgiving Toby and TR!

I don't know about JmDirt, but my wife and I years ago swore off of never ever getting a puppy, the potty training business soured us to that primarily, but also the chewing and thus destruction of things we might not want destroyed! We have never to this day ever got a puppy, the youngest dog we've ever had was one years old, fully potty trained and anti chew trained! We get all of our dogs from pounds or shelters, over the years we've adopted 5 dogs, we don't usually have more then one dog at a time and always larger breed dogs, but when our kids lived with us at one time we had two dogs, a small one for the kids to tease, and large one for roughhousing with! LOL!! We mostly stuck with pure or mix labs and retrievers due to their temperment, but once we had a German Shepherd which was a great dog and I hope someday to get another.

We won't do cats anymore, we had a cat after we first got married and that one was great but when it died we got a couple of more and they were destructive with their constant clawing, so after that we vowed off cats, besides no matter how hard you train a cat it won't get the newspaper...what good is a cat if it can't play fetch and get a newspaper?

We do fish but you know they can't get the paper either, they just eat and swim around, but I guess they do add a soothing sense to the decor.

Re:

froze said:
I don't know about JmDirt, but my wife and I years ago swore off of never ever getting a puppy, the potty training business soured us to that primarily, but also the chewing and thus destruction of things we might not want destroyed! We have never to this day ever got a puppy, the youngest dog we've ever had was one years old, fully potty trained and anti chew trained! We get all of our dogs from pounds or shelters, over the years we've adopted 5 dogs, we don't usually have more then one dog at a time and always larger breed dogs, but when our kids lived with us at one time we had two dogs, a small one for the kids to tease, and large one for roughhousing with! LOL!! We mostly stuck with pure or mix labs and retrievers due to their temperment, but once we had a German Shepherd which was a great dog and I hope someday to get another.

We won't do cats anymore, we had a cat after we first got married and that one was great but when it died we got a couple of more and they were destructive with their constant clawing, so after that we vowed off cats, besides no matter how hard you train a cat it won't get the newspaper...what good is a cat if it can't play fetch and get a newspaper?

We do fish but you know they can't get the paper either, they just eat and swim around, but I guess they do add a soothing sense to the decor.
Fish can be cool, I currently have a couple of goldfish in a 10-gallon tank. (They were about 50cents each, they were meant as food for bigger fish. I felt sorry for them, so I at least rescued a couple of them.)

I had fancier fish a while back in a bigger tank, but they were more delicate, they kinda croaked on me. Goldfish are easy, and being they are so cheap I'll probably get more once my current ones bite the dust. (Fish/aquariums are indeed soothing, btw., for me the funnest part is buying all the toys you can put in the aquarium. :D)

Nice you rescued some dogs from the shelter, there are so many who need a good home.

Tricycle Rider said:
froze said:

Fish can be cool, I currently have a couple of goldfish in a 10-gallon tank. (They were about 50cents each, they were meant as food for bigger fish. I felt sorry for them, so I at least rescued a couple of them.)

I had fancier fish a while back in a bigger tank, but they were more delicate, they kinda croaked on me. Goldfish are easy, and being they are so cheap I'll probably get more once my current ones bite the dust. (Fish/aquariums are indeed soothing, btw., for me the funnest part is buying all the toys you can put in the aquarium. :D)

Nice you rescued some dogs from the shelter, there are so many who need a good home.

We use to do the goldfish thing but stopped because they're dirty fish, they poop a lot! We have fresh water community type of fish, I don't know what they are because it's not a hobby for me, it's just something my wife likes but not a hobby for her either! LOL!! These community fish are pretty easy and cheap nor do they croak a bunch either. Mine average between 5 to 10 years, I know people I talked to are amazed as to how long ours lives, not sure why ours do, I "think" it's because my aquarium is a 45 gallon tank and I have a Fluval Aqua Clear Power Filter that is rated for 40 to 70 gallon tank instead of the typical 20 to 50 gallon most people buy for our size tank, so maybe it's the better filtration job that is making the fish live longer? I don't know, but I do know that with the bigger one there is a bit of a current in the tank whereas with smaller ones there wasn't. I also have an aerator in the tank as well, so maybe that helps? I'm not an expert on this sort of thing but I always tend to do things a bit more then required so I got a filtering system that is one size up for the size of the tank. I don't like this sort of thing taking a lot of my time, so the larger filtering system I've notices doesn't require as much tank cleaning as it did with smaller units and that's a big plus for me! I also like the Fluval the best of the ones I've tried, the main foam filter and the BioMax rocks are all washable, the only thing I have to replace is the carbon bag. Speaking of the filters, with this Fluval you can actually increase the filtering capability, so what I've done is I have the foam filter, on top of that I put a ammonia remover, on top that I put 2 carbon baggies spread out to form a bed on top of which I put the BioMax rocks, typically I'm suppose to use the foam, one of either a carbon or a phosphate, and the rocks, but I read about users doing this on the internet so I did it and it works great. The carbon bags should be replaced once a month, and the ammonia bags about once every 3 months. The Biomax rocks are also suppose to remove ammonia, so I am probably two timing it, but the fish seem happy so I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, and it's what some people on the internet were recommending as well.

I've had issues with the Aqueon and Marineland systems, both failed before the warranty was up, I had the Marineland one first it failed twice in a year, so I exchanged it for a Aqueon, it too failed twice in a year, so I exchanged it for Fluval, so far after a year it's still running. I had a Marineland that lasted 10 or so years, when it failed I bought another and now they won't last. They don't make anything like they use to, so I hope this Fluval lasts because I actually like the way it works better then the others, if not I may have to make a bigger price jump and go into systems like the smaller Eheim or the Penn Plax which a friend of mine claims their the best for tanks of my size up to 90 gallons, those are about 2 1/2 times more expensive but I don't like stuff failing prematurely either so it may be worth if that Fluval fails.

I kind of don't like the external systems like the Eheim and the Penn Plax because I never like the looks of something like those, but if comes down to it I'll do it.

I wanted a pirate ship in the water but my wife thought it was silly so I just have a "beach" house and a volcano that has the aerator inside, we have the usual rocks and plants, all of our rocks glow in the dark which is kind of cool to see when you turn the lights off, but the glowing effect only last about a 1/2 an hour, not sure if they make better glowing rocks are not.

Interesting dog related subject! it's the end of a weekend what the heck, although there is such a fish called a dogfish but their too big for my tank, but that may have been more on subject...Lol!!

Wow, froze, sounds like your aquarium is the size of a pool and your filtration system cost more than the fish itself! lol. But yes, I'd say stick with what you've been doing, it's what I'm doing with my rather cheapy filtration and water treatment and my fish last much longer than they really should. Not that that's a bad thing, of course.

It's true goldfish and even koi crap a lot, but them not being adverse to swimming in their own poo is also what makes them so hardy. Or at least one of the things, I would think. Interesting thing about koi (I used to keep some) is they're popular in Japan, some Japanese collectors are willing to pay as much as $10,000 for a particularly large and nice one. :surprised: (Yeah, I think I'll just stick to the 50cent goldfish.)

We did veer off course a bit (no biggie, I think), but to bring the thread back on the topic of canines...

Toby has two more days on the antibiotics, and he's also been prescribed something called apoquel, which is a type of veterinary allergy med. He'll be on the apoquel for another two weeks, his rash is completely gone now. So much so that I let him out of the lampshade for a bit here and there, he is no longer tempted to chew on his leg the minute I take it off. So that's finally some progress.

Actually 45 gallons is not that large looking when it's in a 600 square foot living room, and the filteration system only cost $40 with tax and I bought that ammonia pad and 2 extra carbon pads to add to the filters in the filteration unit. That's why I said I may have to step up if these low end units keep failing, and the brands I mentioned are the lowest costing filterations system you can buy. I don't like spending money I don't have to, fortunately the ones that failed I got covered by warranty so I didn't pay a dime for the replacements, I didn't even pay for the Fluval except for the extras I bought. I guess the only thing that upsets me is that after 30 years of having aquariums is that the lower end filters of old would last about 10 years, not any more, or at least those two other brands didn't, not sure about the Fluval yet. Things keep going up in price and the reliability keeps going down.

Re:

froze said:
Actually 45 gallons is not that large looking when it's in a 600 square foot living room, and the filteration system only cost $40 with tax and I bought that ammonia pad and 2 extra carbon pads to add to the filters in the filteration unit. That's why I said I may have to step up if these low end units keep failing, and the brands I mentioned are the lowest costing filterations system you can buy. I don't like spending money I don't have to, fortunately the ones that failed I got covered by warranty so I didn't pay a dime for the replacements, I didn't even pay for the Fluval except for the extras I bought. I guess the only thing that upsets me is that after 30 years of having aquariums is that the lower end filters of old would last about 10 years, not any more, or at least those two other brands didn't, not sure about the Fluval yet. Things keep going up in price and the reliability keeps going down.
I think this could be said of virtually anything nowadays. The young'uns have no idea how reliable products used to be, there was a certain level of quality that was expected.

Apologies, btw., I forgot to mention your aquarium set-up (the "toys" in it and such) sounds lovely! Here's my humble 10-gallon tank, not much room for treasure caskets I'm afraid. Would love to have some, but then I'd have to get a bigger tank.

6enl8x.jpg

PS - Sorry if we're veering waaaay off course again, dog lovers, as soon as there is any more news on Toby I'll be sure to post it.

Your tank isn't a whole lot different then mine just a bit smaller, I have gravel of course like yours, I have fake plastic plants too like yours though I prefer live ones but my wife doesn't, I have 5 of those glow in the dark rocks, a beach house, and a volcano that bubbles and that's it, nothing much more then you have. I got my tank used in a garage sale so that saved me about $150, you can find used aquariums on Craigslist all day long, and some will come with extras like a ship etc that you can put into the tank. I'm not sure if I would use old gravel unless it was cleaned really well.

TRENDING THREADS