• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Dog Thread

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
image.jpg

after recent sad loss of my faithful friend i'm happy again...

I found picking a new dog rather daunting....just too many choices...

I wanted a smaller dog than previously one that enjoyed long walks and was robust and healthy

so I went for a lurcher type this one pip is small ...collie / norwich terrier X

she's just so sweet and loving...even though she did steal my sandwich when my back

was turned....she's 5 months....previous owner could not keep her their landlord

said that they were allowed only 2 dogs not 3!
Mark L

Re:

ebandit said:
image.jpg

I wanted a smaller dog than previously one that enjoyed long walks and was robust and healthy

so I went for a lurcher type this one pip is small ...collie / norwich terrier X

she's just so sweet and loving...even though she did steal my sandwich when my back

was turned....she's 5 months....previous owner could not keep her their landlord

Mark L
Well hullo there, sweet lady. You know I'll be making my moves on you before you even know it! (No worries, actually, my balls had been removed when I was about six months old. Nonetheless...)

Paw-five,

The Tobster

PS - Very much kudos to you for taking in a rescue, Mark! :cool:

Re:

ebandit said:
image.jpg

Mark L
AWESOME! Very cool, and clearly worn out, dog! :D

Apr 12, 2018
Visit site
I don't like dogs, i don't like to be near them as i have been bitten thrice....the first time was when i was 4 yrs old. When they bit i never did anything to them, they just bit me.

image.jpg

thanks! those who welcomed pip...most of all TR for fave post of the month

pip has settled in so quickly and is no trouble...even though i'm remembering those things one should
not do with a young dog around

...and she's quite a 'lil runner....i'm trying but falling short in efforts to keep up!

Mark L

but zam bet you have been struck / hurt by other humans way more than any dog..i have been bit quite
a few times..............no big deal...still love all dogs

image.jpg

this pic depicts pips character well...and her blue right eye (blue merle heritage)

and she so loves to play....and chew too..often combining both jumping on my unsuspecting
toes..........and having a quick chew

but mostly she's so calm even when postie calls...

Mark L

Re:

ebandit said:
image.jpg

this pic depicts pips character well...and her blue right eye (blue merle heritage)

and she so loves to play....and chew too..often combining both jumping on my unsuspecting
toes..........and having a quick chew

but mostly she's so calm even when postie calls...

Mark L
She's such a beauty, I can definitely see the terrier ears on her. (Otherwise she's very leggy, but what's wrong with a long-legged lady?)

Paw-five, and welcome to the kennel,

The Tobster :)

Speaking of terriers (or terrier mixes)...

Toby's rash came back last week, despite flea treatments and frequent baths he was starting to chew on himself again. So, took him to the vet just yesterday... vet was cool. We agreed Toby should just have a shot of that long-lasting antihistamine he got back in December - no antibiotics or ear-drops were needed this time. Thank goodness!

So far so good, who knows what Toby is allergic to? (Could be food, could be all the spring pollen, could be all the crap people are spreading around on their lawns at this time of year [herbicides].)

Either way, as long as Toby's not miserable I won't be miserable.

Apr 30, 2018
Visit site
I have Labrador Retriever and I can not put it into words how smart she is. Like truly smart - she understands my gestures even without speaking to her. I recommend to everyone to have a smart dog. Anyways - every dog has his own charm and character - I really love them all. They are truly a mans' best friend :)

Re:

jmdirt said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obmBXCzTp2Q
Ah, working dogs, cool!

Can't ever claim Toby is a working dog, he's the laziest and most spoiled animal on the planet. Well, sometimes he pretends he's chasing mice, but that's just to earn his keep, I suppose.

Speaking of Toby...

He has a growth on the top of his paw that he keeps on chewing on, have to make an appointment with the vet. He's already had a cancerous growth removed, hopefully this is nothing serious.

Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
jmdirt said:
Ah, working dogs, cool!

Can't ever claim Toby is a working dog, he's the laziest and most spoiled animal on the planet. Well, sometimes he pretends he's chasing mice, but that's just to earn his keep, I suppose.

Speaking of Toby...

He has a growth on the top of his paw that he keeps on chewing on, have to make an appointment with the vet. He's already had a cancerous growth removed, hopefully this is nothing serious.
Keep us posted.

Re: Re:

jmdirt said:
Tricycle Rider said:
jmdirt said:
Ah, working dogs, cool!

Speaking of Toby...

Keep us posted.
Will do, jmdirt.

Toby has an appointment on Wednesday, in the meantime I'm having him wear that damned inflatable donut around his neck again just so he doesn't chew his paw raw.

Here's a piccy, btw., initially I thought it may have been a splinter. And there was a tiny bit of something in there, but once I removed it the paw had failed to heal. So back to the vet he goes.

1386317paw1528750573.jpg

EDIT- Here's another picture of it...

I examined between Toby's toes and his nails, there seems to be nothing there. So I'm at a loss now.

paw-II1528752812.jpg

I'm not trying to gross you guys out, btw., but if you have an aging (or not even aging) animal splinters are probably the first thing you might want to look for if the animal is showing signs of distress and is constantly chewing on his/her paws.

All righty, just got back from the vet's, vet thinks it may be grass seed that got stuck in Toby's paw. He had just pulled some from another dog and showed me the spiky seed, it actually looked pretty dramatic.

If it's the seed it may come out on its own (right now it's not visible at all), I'm to give Toby a chlorhexiderm paw bath twice a day, followed by antibiotic ointment, plus an antibiotic pill. If it's not that and Toby doesn't get better he has a follow-up appointment next Monday, at which point the vet will want to sedate him ($400!!) and take a closer look at the growth.

Toby is oblivious to it all, here he's doing one of the things he does best, he's taking a pee in the backyard. Not sure that is where he picked up the offending grass seed, but I'm certainly about to mow the lawn. What I wouldn't do for that dog...

194130paw21528931800.jpg

Update on the Tobster...

After five days of paw baths in chlorhexiderm I did actually pull out some grass seed, it wasn't as dramatic as the other dog's seed the vet had shown me (which had blood on it and stuff), but it did look pretty uncomfortable. I could have actually pulled it earlier, but it looked like Toby's own hair, so I didn't.

Toby will still be antibiotics for a few more days, but for now I will postpone his $400+ appointment he was scheduled for tomorrow.

A tip for those who may at some point have to give your pet a paw bath... the vet showed me how to do it, he just used a plastic tray that party veggies come in. Being I didn't have that I bought one of those cheapy plastic double food bowls being the chlorhexiderm has to be rinsed off after the bath, so one bowl gets the chlorhexiderm and the other the rinse water. It's much easier this way than having to drag the animal into the bathtub twice a day. :)

grass-seed11529254641.jpg

Yay, am happy to report Toby is so much better now!

Had to pick at his paw with a needle and some tweezers a few days ago because there was some pimply stuff going on in there (naturally I disinfected all my tools at the time), got some more grass seed out. Think I got it all, and Toby was so sweet about all this...

Here is his paw now, thankfully he's no longer miserable! :)

IMG08101529757580.jpg

Tobes1529757632.jpg

Re:

Zama_Olyas said:
I don't like dogs, i don't like to be near them as i have been bitten thrice....the first time was when i was 4 yrs old. When they bit i never did anything to them, they just bit me.

I have had almost the exact opposite experience..! I have found you can get a strange, strong sense of something bigger... much bigger than us from contact with animals... dogs included..
I would be so bold as to suggest that you befriend someone with an over the top friendly, never aggressive dog..
You will come away with much, much more than you can imagine..
As a cyclist, who used to train many miles per week with headphones in my ears.. I was attacked and bitten not once but twice!! By an animal that was simply stimulated by chasing and catching bicycles... both times after the dog nabbed and knocked me from my bike.. the dogs stuck around to try and continue to "play" w me!!! The dogs felt like chasing and chewing on my ankle or calf was a game..it came out of nowhere and the loud music playing in my ears..made the dog knock downs a complete... unpleasant surprise!!
Both owners assisted me after crashing... once I suffered a broken collar bone,bent wheel and handlebars...
Call me dumb or dense but I still love dogs....?
* This maybe a complete false premise... but while I have been in the company of many children..they look at my positive attitude and interaction with dogs and always it has led to a hesitant to flat out scared child at least accepting some interaction and less fear of dogs... can't help but think it may work for adults also....?

Re:

JayKosta said:
Glad to hear the Toby is feeling better.
Jay
jmdirt said:
Great to hear!
Thank you, guys.

There will probably always be a little bump there (vet called it granuloma), just because that crap had been in there for so long. I'm glad he showed me what to look for, I would have never imagined grass seed could get stuck like that.

Anyhoo, Toby is a happy camper again, once the fur grows back we'll just pretend this never happened. :)

The latest update on the Tobster...

His paw is perfectly healed now, even the granuloma has disappeared. However, being it will be in the 90s F here all week he will be needing a haircut...

As usual he's acting like he's facing the guillotine (can't really blame him, I mean, it is a stationary bike he will be tied to), but he will be getting that haircut one way or another.

Buckle up, pupster, you ARE getting that haircut!

haircut1531419247.jpg

Re:

ebandit said:
image.jpg

great that tobes is fighting fit and looking so cute..............

I love wor 'lil pip she's so full of fun...........sometimes too full of fun

returning home she's had great fun pulling chunks out of the sofa

Mark L
Hi ya, Pip,

Each day you're looking more and more like a terrier (well, the head at least), I like that in a lady.

You're still a pup, but eventually you'll learn that tearing up your owner's furniture is probably not the best of ideas. But in the meantime...

Enjoy your puppyhood, and many paw-fives,

The Tobster

PS - I'm just chillin' it here by the A/C vent right now, an old dog like me just can't take this kind of outdoor heat (100F) anymore.
tobe-heat1531771942.jpg

TRENDING THREADS