• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Dog Thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Good to see Tobes coming along well.
Hi five, errr paw, to Pips.

My newest project, weekend dog-sitting this 2-YO (when I got hooked up with him) pommie named Turks (now 3-YO). When I got him, he would not walk on walks. Almost had to be drug by the leash.
20170922-154822.jpg

20180106-091741.jpg

Before long he was runnin me around.
And running into me (this one at 1/4 speed)...
TOTM-02-C-1.gif

on3m@n@rmy said:
Good to see Tobes coming along well.
Hi five, errr paw, to Pips.

My newest project, weekend dog-sitting this 2-YO (when I got hooked up with him) pommie named Turks (now 3-YO). When I got him, he would not walk on walks. Almost had to be drug by the leash.
20170922-154822.jpg

20180106-091741.jpg

Before long he was runnin me around.
And running into me (this one at 1/4 speed)...
TOTM-02-C-1.gif
Not exactly aero with all that hair, is he?

But that's aight, we'll love him anyway. :cool:

Re:

jmdirt said:
I've been looking at the local shelters to see if I'm ready to get a dog again but one hasn't hooked me yet. I met a dog that was trained by an inmate (Inmate Dog Alliance Program of Idaho), but there was no vibe with that pooch.
I've heard of those prisoner-trained pooches, I'm sure to those incarcerated they mean a lot.

Hopefully you'll find a pooch you'll connect with.

on3m@n@rmy said:
my first pooch was a shelter dog. sickliest thing I ever saw (full of open sores). but we connected right off. best doggo ever.
That's so cool you gave that pooch a home, even though superficially s/he may not have been the most desirable.

If I ever get another dog after Toby it'll be shelter dog, and on that note...

I recently spoke to someone who seemed a total dog lover, she went looking to the local shelter because she wanted to adopt another dog. But she insisted it be a Dachshund, the shelter didn't have one, so she ended up getting none and was looking into paying a lot of money for a purebred from a Dachshund breeder instead.

I don't get that, the attachment some dog owners have to a specific breed. I know each dog has their own personality, but if you're willing to adopt a pooch from the shelter to begin with I would think you would be a bit more flexible.

Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
jmdirt said:
I've been looking at the local shelters to see if I'm ready to get a dog again but one hasn't hooked me yet. I met a dog that was trained by an inmate (Inmate Dog Alliance Program of Idaho), but there was no vibe with that pooch.
I've heard of those prisoner-trained pooches, I'm sure to those incarcerated they mean a lot.

Hopefully you'll find a pooch you'll connect with.

on3m@n@rmy said:
my first pooch was a shelter dog. sickliest thing I ever saw (full of open sores). but we connected right off. best doggo ever.
That's so cool you gave that pooch a home, even though superficially s/he may not have been the most desirable.

If I ever get another dog after Toby it'll be shelter dog, and on that note...

I recently spoke to someone who seemed a total dog lover, she went looking to the local shelter because she wanted to adopt another dog. But she insisted it be a Dachshund, the shelter didn't have one, so she ended up getting none and was looking into paying a lot of money for a purebred from a Dachshund breeder instead.

I don't get that, the attachment some dog owners have to a specific breed. I know each dog has their own personality, but if you're willing to adopt a pooch from the shelter to begin with I would think you would be a bit more flexible.
Here's my first doggo, Teddo (about 9-10 YO here and showing signs of greybeard, and no sores). Got him when he was about age 3 (what the dog pound ppl said). They also said he was a farm dog who the original owners sent to the dog pound (where they euthanize after about one week captivity) because the dog had a habit of getting into chicken coups. Probably out of hunger, because judging by the sores he was not well taken care of. He was obviously a mutt, and I'm not sure exactly what mix - I'm guessing German shorthair (or lab) and German Shepherd. But he ended up having a good life living to age 17, which would be unusual for any kind of lab breed.
Teddo.jpg

on3m@n@rmy said:
Here's my first doggo, Teddo (about 9-10 YO here and showing signs of greybeard, and no sores). Got him when he was about age 3 (what the dog pound ppl said). They also said he was a farm dog who the original owners sent to the dog pound (where they euthanize after about one week captivity) because the dog had a habit of getting into chicken coups. Probably out of hunger, because judging by the sores he was not well taken care of. He was obviously a mutt, and I'm not sure exactly what mix - I'm guessing German shorthair (or lab) and German Shepherd. But he ended up having a good life living to age 17, which would be unusual for any kind of lab breed.
Teddo.jpg
That's a perfectly gorgeous, healthy-looking dog, glad you gave him a second chance and a good life.

It's been a while since Toby has made a grand appearance, so without any further ado...

Well, here he is again, resting on his recliner like usual.

Toby-rest1542568277.jpg

I'm actually a bit concerned after having discovered yet another growth on his (overweight) body while giving him a bath, this time it's on his tummy right next to his pee-pee. I'll have the vet examine it at Toby's next appointment, right now he's still getting those anti-histamine shots every couple of months due to an unknown allergy.

Ageing dogs - they will not just break the bank, they will also break your heart. :cry:

thanks! jmdirt....buddy looks to be a great 'lil fella'..........full of character...hope he settles in and makes ya happy..

thanks! tricycle rider...tobes looks as cute as ever...........hope it's nothing serious

thanks! on3m@n@rmy............great to see your gif...........that wee dog would have been great
company

Re:

jmdirt said:
So my criteria was young (1ish), female, lab/lab mutt. We brought Buddy home with us today and he is none of the three criteria! :) He is a four year old, male, Yorkie/Yorkie mutt. My wife made the decision, but I didn't resist.

https://idahohumanesociety.org/adopt/view-pet/buddy-2/
Awwwwww, look at that cute little fella...

Buddy might be small, but from what I know of Yorkies they are just bundles of energy! And as small as dogs their size are they produce a lot of heat, so he should keep both you and your wife warm in bed at night. Because your bed is where he'll be sleeping, right? :razz:

PS - Hi ya from another Yorkie... I took care of this one earlier this summer for three weeks while her parents were traveling overseas, even at 10 years old she kept me busy!

137268Lexi1542898384.jpg

Tricycle Rider said:
jmdirt said:
So my criteria was young (1ish), female, lab/lab mutt. We brought Buddy home with us today and he is none of the three criteria! :) He is a four year old, male, Yorkie/Yorkie mutt. My wife made the decision, but I didn't resist.

https://idahohumanesociety.org/adopt/view-pet/buddy-2/
Awwwwww, look at that cute little fella...

Buddy might be small, but from what I know of Yorkies they are just bundles of energy! And as small as dogs their size are they produce a lot of heat, so he should keep both you and your wife warm in bed at night. Because your bed is where he'll be sleeping, right? :razz:

PS - Hi ya from another Yorkie... I took care of this one earlier this summer for three weeks while her parents were traveling overseas, even at 10 years old she kept me busy!

137268Lexi1542898384.jpg
Smart man to not resist wifey. I never had a Yorkie but friends or other family who had them were nice pooches.

@tricrider: now that is a nice looking little girl. She looks like made that post.

Re:

ebandit said:
thanks! jmdirt....buddy looks to be a great 'lil fella'..........full of character...hope he settles in and makes ya happy..

thanks! tricycle rider...tobes looks as cute as ever...........hope it's nothing serious

thanks! on3m@n@rmy............great to see your gif...........that wee dog would have been great
company
He was, and still is every weekend (and then some), great company. I am smitten. He is the first doggo that I have ever allowed to lick me all over. Except lips. Lips are forboden. Otherwise wifey has problem with that. So I just roll my lips under and he covers everywhere around that. You know, to help the dog's psyche. I hear licking creates good endorphins. It must be true cuz he can lick me not just for mere seconds, but for a couple minutes without stopping. We have fun toy play times too, like clockwork, always after meals.

Happy thanksgiving all. Pets included!

on3m@n@rmy said:
He was, and still is every weekend (and then some), great company. I am smitten. He is the first doggo that I have ever allowed to lick me all over. Except lips. Lips are forboden. Otherwise wifey has problem with that. So I just roll my lips under and he covers everywhere around that. You know, to help the dog's psyche. I hear licking creates good endorphins. It must be true cuz he can lick me not just for mere seconds, but for a couple minutes without stopping. We have fun toy play times too, like clockwork, always after meals.

Happy thanksgiving all. Pets included!
Great to hear your and jmd's dogs are working out and you're enjoying them!

Speaking of pocket-sized pooches...

I've been babysitting a chihuahua for the last couple of nights because her owner went out of town for Thanksgiving, naturally I let the pooch sleep on my bed under the covers. Not only did it take her forever to burrow and get comfortable, she also snored!

I didn't get a wink of sleep, but that's a'ight, I love her anyway. :)

on3m@n@rmy said:
You'd think YEEEHAA as in 'get me outta here' or 'which way to the door inside'. He actually seems to enjoy the snow as long as it's not too deep for him. But this picture seems to say otherwise:

IMG-6585.jpg
Yo, Mr. Tumbleweed - as long as you're not overcooking those turns please do enjoy the snow for as long as you can!

(Pssst - it's a huge secret between those long-haired dogs that are actually supposed to be pillow dogs, sometimes they do actually enjoy rolling in the snow.)

Anyhoo, all facetiousness aside - that doggie looks great, welcome to the CN kennel!

Paw-five from the Tobster.

TRENDING THREADS