• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Dog Thread

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hi Robert and jmd, look at me now - I get to spend some time outside, wheeee!

It sucks that I'm all anchored down and on a leash, but at least I get some fresh air. And if I can't chase the squirrels at least I get to look and bark at them.

Paw-fives,

The Tobes

2aexlcw.jpg

PS - Physical therapy sucks!

Here's the latest update on Toby from the human - I'm diligently massaging, icing, and doing physical therapy on that leg, today Toby got his last rimadyl. He'll still be on tramadol for a while (crikes, I'll have to send him to drug rehab next), but with each therapy session I feel like his range of motion is getting a little bit better. He just needs to learn to trust that the leg won't hurt when he lets it down.

2a4sk02.jpg

I decided to not give him a bath just yet... he'd probably throw one of his world-famous conniptions afterward, and I can't have him running around like a maniac. So I'm just using baby wipes for now to clean him up a bit, think the rimadyl gave him the runs.

I also set up a playpen for him to keep him contained, he's learned to sleep in it and actually seems to like it. :)

10wpeev.jpg

To all y'all who are following this latest chapter of Toby's life paw-fives from us both,

The human

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Here's the latest update on Toby from the human - I'm diligently massaging, icing, and doing physical therapy on that leg, today Toby got his last rimadyl. He'll still be on tramadol for a while (crikes, I'll have to send him to drug rehab next), but with each therapy session I feel like his range of motion is getting a little bit better. He just needs to learn to trust that the leg won't hurt when he lets it down.

2a4sk02.jpg

I decided to not give him a bath just yet... he'd probably throw one of his world-famous conniptions afterward, and I can't have him running around like a maniac. So I'm just using baby wipes for now to clean him up a bit, think the rimadyl gave him the runs.

I also set up a playpen for him to keep him contained, he's learned to sleep in it and actually seems to like it. :)

10wpeev.jpg

To all y'all who are following this latest chapter of Toby's life paw-fives from us both,

The human

Fantastic to hear, I hope Toby's recovery continues to go well.

Magnificent news!

Okay, you guys may not find it magnificent, but I think it's a step in the right direction.

Yesterday I took Toby our for a poop in the backyard, he was kinda using his bum leg to support himself. Yay! (For the uninitiated - animals with four legs usually use their hind legs to squat in order to do their pooping business, the first time Toby tried to poop after his surgery he fell on his butt because he couldn't use the bum rear leg. So him at least trying is progress.)

Also, I'm keeping the grass in the backyard extra long because it forces Toby to bend his joints more because he has to wade through the deep grass, he is putting some weight on the bum leg now. So that's a baby step as well. I'd like to be able to throw him into a pool for some aqua-therapy, but I don't have a pool, so may have to check out what they have at that animal therapy clinic here in town.

What we're ultimately working toward is Toby eventually being able to rotate the joint like you would when riding a bicycle, maybe watching the Giro next month will inspire him. (I did catch some of the Spring Classics, but it was too soon for any kind of moves like that.)

So that is all for now, paw-fives from The Tobes and the human

PS - Toby really does like his man cave, jmd, each time he wants his peace and quiet he just goes in there and takes a nap. :lol:

Also, thank you Robert and pricey sky for your kind thoughts, will keep you posted on Toby's progress.

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Magnificent news!

Okay, you guys may not find it magnificent, but I think it's a step in the right direction.

Yesterday I took Toby our for a poop in the backyard, he was kinda using his bum leg to support himself. Yay! (For the uninitiated - animals with four legs usually use their hind legs to squat in order to do their pooping business, the first time Toby tried to poop after his surgery he fell on his butt because he couldn't use the bum rear leg. So him at least trying is progress.)

Also, I'm keeping the grass in the backyard extra long because it forces Toby to bend his joints more because he has to wade through the deep grass, he is putting some weight on the bum leg now. So that's a baby step as well. I'd like to be able to throw him into a pool for some aqua-therapy, but I don't have a pool, so may have to check out what they have at that animal therapy clinic here in town.

What we're ultimately working toward is Toby eventually being able to rotate the joint like you would when riding a bicycle, maybe watching the Giro next month will inspire him. (I did catch some of the Spring Classics, but it was too soon for any kind of moves like that.)

So that is all for now, paw-fives from The Tobes and the human

PS - Toby really does like his man cave, jmd, each time he wants his peace and quiet he just goes in there and takes a nap. :lol:

Also, thank you Robert and pricey sky for your kind thoughts, will keep you posted on Toby's progress.
Good news! :D

Tricycle..Toby sent me an email..in it he was very specific about what may make him feel better..first he said that a homemade dog food of ground ribeye ,brown rice and carrots may help. He said don't go crazy with the vegetarian part of the mix!
He said that the Spring bike races are cool but keep the volume low because he can't make out those silly euro commentators accents.
He said that if it were up to him Air Bud,Benji, A Dog's Life..and to my surprise he said Godfather..1 and 2!!
Toby also said don't be trying to toss him in any cold water therapy pool! He says he loves you, but dogs have limits!
He says that if you leave him alone please play Meerkat videos on repeat..
Toby also asked if while driving down the road you can stick your head out for even a couple of minutes, he says you might understand him better..

*all the best to both of you..
Toby says that Philippe Gilbert is incredible! and that

Re:

Unchained said:
Tricycle..Toby sent me an email..in it he was very specific about what may make him feel better..first he said that a homemade dog food of ground ribeye ,brown rice and carrots may help. He said don't go crazy with the vegetarian part of the mix!
He said that the Spring bike races are cool but keep the volume low because he can't make out those silly euro commentators accents.
He said that if it were up to him Air Bud,Benji, A Dog's Life..and to my surprise he said Godfather..1 and 2!!
Toby also said don't be trying to toss him in any cold water therapy pool! He says he loves you, but dogs have limits!
He says that if you leave him alone please play Meerkat videos on repeat..
Toby also asked if while driving down the road you can stick your head out for even a couple of minutes, he says you might understand him better..

*all the best to both of you..
Toby says that Philippe Gilbert is incredible! and that
:lol: ... that's great, thank you Unchained!

Toby's reply:

Hi Unchained,

I eat just about anything, including cauliflower and broccoli. But I especially like the meat part of your recipe, yum, I can never get enough of meat!

As far as my TV entertainment... I usually just zone out. Some of my family likes to watch shitshows like Judge Judy and American Idol, to me it's all just irritating noise. Maybe I can convince them to turn on some Meerkats or the first two Godfather movies, but not the third please, we seem to agree on that. The third movie was a mess that no one should have to sit through!

As far as the hydrotherapy I'll just let the human talk, paw-fives for now,

The Tobster

From the human - I checked into the physical therapy clinic, being there was some muscle atrophy even prior to surgery I think Toby might benefit from some hydrotherapy. He might not like it because it's an underwater treadmill, but that's too bad, I want him to at least have a chance to use the leg again.

I've emailed the clinic for some info, I'm just dreading the cost. The surgery already was $2,000 - ooof. Vets can be so expensive!

Btw, I fully agree on Philippe Gilbert!

Magnificent news!

Okay, it's just another baby step, but this one I think is kinda amusing.

As I was stretching Toby's leg out while he was lying on his side he wasn't sure what to do with it, so he just started scratching his ear with it. (It's almost like we're doing yoga or ballet stretches or something.) His range is getting much better, and he has some reflexes going on, so that's good.

I haven't heard from the PT clinic yet being the PT vet is out of town till next week, but Toby has an appointment with his surgery vet next Tuesday. Hopefully he'll be happy with Toby's progress, I certainly am.

Has anyone here ever had an ACL injury, btw.? I've never had any surgeries on my knees, so don't know what it would feel like and how painful it is.

Oh, here's a message from Toby:

I have graciously allowed the human into my man cave, don't know why I have to keep on doing these stupid stretches and the icing when I'm happy using just three legs. Hopefully the humans know what they're doing.

jv5im0.jpg

Paw-fives,

The Tobster

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Magnificent news!

Okay, it's just another baby step, but this one I think is kinda amusing.

As I was stretching Toby's leg out while he was lying on his side he wasn't sure what to do with it, so he just started scratching his ear with it. (It's almost like we're doing yoga or ballet stretches or something.) His range is getting much better, and he has some reflexes going on, so that's good.

I haven't heard from the PT clinic yet being the PT vet is out of town till next week, but Toby has an appointment with his surgery vet next Tuesday. Hopefully he'll be happy with Toby's progress, I certainly am.

Has anyone here ever had an ACL injury, btw.? I've never had any surgeries on my knees, so don't know what it would feel like and how painful it is.

Oh, here's a message from Toby:

I have graciously allowed the human into my man cave, don't know why I have to keep on doing these stupid stretches and the icing when I'm happy using just three legs. Hopefully the humans know what they're doing.

jv5im0.jpg

Paw-fives,

The Tobster
:D

My dog has 3 legs and she gets along pretty good. While running she doesn't have much trouble and it is hard to tell if she was a very fast 4 legged trotter.
The missing leg causes her the most grief trying to jump in and out of the car, standing up and negotiating wet cement..a catch 22 because if she didn't pee on the cement it wouldn't be wet as often.
She hates seagulls and anything w horse shoes..not sure where the crazy reactions come from seeing or hearing donkeys or horses..she will bark at a horse while passing the animals in a car at 70mph?
The biggest drawback for her is when other dogs attempt to smell her lady parts( which are inoperable) they come to do a dog up close and personal inspection and she can't run or maneuver fast enough to avoid being power sniffed.
Many dogs sense that she is 1-2_seconds away from mauling them. More persistent dogs discover that Ruby packs the heart of ten lions about her space and unwanted sexual advances.
It's always brief and ugly. Her lips quiver for @5 minutes after the encounters but I don't see any lasting PTSD.
If I go to a dog park and she is off leash or to an open space things work out better w animal to animal communication. It's when she is tethered or some well intentioned person tries to "help" .
Even wo being fixed I think my dog didn't have puppies by choice!!

*so even if Toby finds himself w limited use of his 4th leg,life will still be good*

Re:

Unchained said:
My dog has 3 legs and she gets along pretty good. While running she doesn't have much trouble and it is hard to tell if she was a very fast 4 legged trotter.
The missing leg causes her the most grief trying to jump in and out of the car, standing up and negotiating wet cement..a catch 22 because if she didn't pee on the cement it wouldn't be wet as often.
She hates seagulls and anything w horse shoes..not sure where the crazy reactions come from seeing or hearing donkeys or horses..she will bark at a horse while passing the animals in a car at 70mph?
The biggest drawback for her is when other dogs attempt to smell her lady parts( which are inoperable) they come to do a dog up close and personal inspection and she can't run or maneuver fast enough to avoid being power sniffed.
Many dogs sense that she is 1-2_seconds away from mauling them. More persistent dogs discover that Ruby packs the heart of ten lions about her space and unwanted sexual advances.
It's always brief and ugly. Her lips quiver for @5 minutes after the encounters but I don't see any lasting PTSD.
If I go to a dog park and she is off leash or to an open space things work out better w animal to animal communication. It's when she is tethered or some well intentioned person tries to "help" .
Even wo being fixed I think my dog didn't have puppies by choice!!

*so even if Toby finds himself w limited use of his 4th leg,life will still be good*
That's great to hear about Ruby and how well she gets on with just three legs. Dogs can certainly adjust, and I have no doubt she knows how to protect herself against any unwanted suitor's advances. Good for her! :cool:

On that note - Toby has never had much of a sex life being he's neutered and we don't allow him to frolic around freely in nature, but what he did enjoy prior to surgery was humping his very big stuffed animals. I don't want to get too graphic, but once he was finished he couldn't walk for about 10 minutes because his junk was all hanging out.

If he wishes to resume this activity he will have to learn to use the fourth leg, and if that isn't inspiration enough I don't know what is.

good boy toby......................what a 'lil trooper!

my young dog pip amuses myself..................walking down a steep slope..........she throws herself
down to slide/roll to the bottom................................crazy dog

at a field edge a field mouse did not have time to escape............frightened it hid ....too late
pip spotted it..........picked it up...........put it down and the mouse ran off...
...gentle dog

Re:

rick james said:
The wee boy is half a french bulldog and half a Dogue de Bordeaux.....crazy I know
I was way off on my guess, thought I saw half Boxer (sans the very cruel practice of the clipping of the ears) and half something very sturdy... like a Pit Bull or a Rottweiler. Ah well, he's a gorgeous dog anyway,

Paw-fives and welcome to the CN kennel! :cool:

And now a message from the Tobster -

Yo, what up, fellow canines?

So, today I got my very first bath in weeks, it felt so refreshing! Especially my butt is what I'm particular about, even I know when it doesn't smell so fresh.

Today I could throw only a very modified conniption after my bath being the human had me on the leash and was making sure I wouldn't hurt myself, but even this kind of conniption was satisfying enough. See me tearing up that terrible whitish towel? Grrrrrrr, I'm so proud of myself!

5l87k2.jpg

Paw-fives,

The Tobes

A now a word from the human...

Toby was starting to stink so bad of urine I couldn't take it anymore. So into the bathtub we went like we have for the past 11 years, I have never seen him trying to work the bum leg like he did just then!

I should probably ask the surgeon tomorrow whether I should give Toby more baths just to encourage him to exercise the leg, will let you know.

Paw-fives,

The human

TRENDING THREADS