• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Dog Thread

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

dogs are like their owners...pip is a lurcher....derived from a roman word lurch (to steal) and
cur a rough dog...so 'the thieving dog'....perfect! for ebandit

out the dog so often has her nose in other dog walkers pockets..helping herself to treats
occasionally she hits the 'jackpot' and gets the whole bag full...and i have to chase shame
faced to retrieve......

yesterday watched cycling races drinking a bottle of white found on my walk.....2 weeks earlier
walking pip i picked up a £20 note....my jackpot....of course there was no thought of getting
it back to the rightful owner...

Mark L

dogs are like their owners...pip is a lurcher....derived from a roman word lurch (to steal) and
cur a rough dog...so 'the thieving dog'....perfect! for ebandit

out the dog so often has her nose in other dog walkers pockets..helping herself to treats
occasionally she hits the 'jackpot' and gets the whole bag full...and i have to chase shame
faced to retrieve......

yesterday watched cycling races drinking a bottle of white found on my walk.....2 weeks earlier
walking pip i picked up a £20 note....my jackpot....of course there was no thought of getting
it back to the rightful owner...

Mark L
Genital area aside I think Michelangelo gave up on David's legs, David could have used a bit more leg work in the gym. (As could have Michelangelo by sculpting them.)

But other than that David and Pip are looking pretty good side by side.

Last edited:
url=https://postimages.org/]
6.jpg
[/url]

thanks! TR......pip thought little of david too hence the pool of pee at his feet...

to answer earlier post....it's hard to accept but 'dogs eat poo...their own and
other dogs........' even well fed/balanced dogs do this from time to time...

i know many dogs who really like a 'lil rabbit poo/horse dung...yuk!

i'm not such a fan of old time art although i do appreciate skill involved...give me banksy
any day....i'm so proud of banksy rejecting copyright...he would not mind i stole his image!

drawing this i thought 'that's poor..it does not look like pip' then i remembered it's
'just a fun cartoon.......'

Mark L

url=https://postimages.org/]
6.jpg
[/url]

thanks! TR......pip thought little of david too hence the pool of pee at his feet...

to answer earlier post....it's hard to accept but 'dogs eat poo...their own and
other dogs........' even well fed/balanced dogs do this from time to time...

i know many dogs who really like a 'lil rabbit poo/horse dung...yuk!

i'm not such a fan of old time art although i do appreciate skill involved...give me banksy
any day....i'm so proud of banksy rejecting copyright...he would not mind i stole his image!

drawing this i thought 'that's poor..it does not look like pip' then i remembered it's
'just a fun cartoon.......'

Mark L
Didn't realize it was a pool of pee that Pip may have created while admiring the statue of David, but then I never understood why David's hands were so BIG either.

I had to google Banksy, looks like you had made a fair recreation.

Reactions: jmdirt

hi TR glad to see toby is welcome on your fathers bed....pip and i wake under the duvet together
...i think you're rather hard on david.....he seems to have 'perfect athletic pysique' ok his manhood may not impress some ladies......

long walk this morning...i'm puzzled who is the cleverest the dog or myself...ok pip can't post
here....but she often knows so much more....

Mark L

out today in rain.....i'm slipping and sliding on steep paths.....pip however has no problem
keeping her feet......sometimes when i'm struggling for traction taking my time to avoid falling
....i notice the look on pips face....'you're kidding me!'

todays pic is as close to 'art' as i'm likely to post...

Mark L
Don't worry about it, this sounds like the usual
Paris–Roubaix

Roubaix(Ruby) had shoulder surgery. The socket were her leg was removed had a natural point,so when she played hard on a hard surface like packed dirt,beach sand, concrete,floor tile..well everything, her skin would suffer a wound. 5\10 times it would get infected. The regular vet in San Diego and Ensenada were both excellent but stitches,antibiotics and bandages..well it's on repeat for years. A friend suggested a different place..Bahia clinic..well it's been @20 days, they opened up her leg socket,smoothed the bone very very slightly, stitched her up..changing dressing every day for @10-12 days..
The color is excellent..master seamstress could not have done better work and the dog is not in a constant state of fever and recovery.
So I am sure we are getting a happy ending but before..both dogs are recovering from a kennel cough that has them w a 3 packs a day hack..
Anyone w a pet that has had kennel cough..not fun..

And this fits in 2 threads.. Into the Dark: Good Boy is a great dog movie!! Benji works on some level but Judy Greer and Ruben( often called Ruby! in the movie) are an epic team..And the end of the movie leaves things wide open for a sequel..a must see for dedicated dog lovers

And a Roubaix update,a while back she had her amputation area reworked. The vets made the shoulder area smoother so each time she played and fell down,or just fell down from sprinting on tile floors of wet concrete, she would sometimes make a hole or tear..which @75+% of the time get infected..
knock on wood..those days are passed us..she's a brand new dog. Not sure the type of hair clippers that the vet uses pre surgery, as close to bare skin as I have seen..the hair slowly grew back and now she looks like she was born w no leg, the fur is completely even and the scar is not noticeable.
Max is still a typical Golden..an idiot..he recently ate a full,brand new bar or soap..he had small amounts on his lips,teeth ,fur and tiny bits on his astro turf sleeping area..after eating the soap he had zero side effects..and yes his normal post food nuggets were the color of the soap..he really didn't understand all my yelling about bad dog,why,ect..

Toby got his usual allergy shot in his arse today, I do believe he was starting to itch again. Otherwise his appetite, peeing, pooping and all that is well and normal - the only sad thing is his usual vet is moving on and is leaving the office we usually go to. :(

That's okay though, Toby is not very particular. As long as the new vet staff is cool with him he'll be cool with them. :)

Last edited:
Both dogs left behind after we discussed w them..@44 degree 110f temps down on the Sea of Cortez..6 hours south of Ensenada. Dogs both said that they would love to attempt murder on sea birds and seals..the hot sand and very little shade would be too much for their paw pads..given the bacon like texture of my back,wearing a huge hat,waterproof sunblock and 50% of the time a long sleeve t-shirt..the dogs made a wise choice..
despite our family decision there were 3-4 dogs there having a ball, using the cool seawater for relief..better safe than sorry..
Our dogs,like the dogs we saw,always chase birds but have a zero catch -kill rate..Seagulls as I have seen so far have no fear of dogs and find the running lunges trying to bite them amusing..I have tried to think of a time I saw a dog get a seabird..?..I know if I brought my cat to the beach..different story..

...given the bacon like texture of my back...
Is this raw bacon or after it's been cooked? Either way, this is a description one does not get to visualize every day, I love your flair for writing. :tearsofjoy:

Have you tried those protective doggie booties that are supposed to work both in cold and hot weather? I tried them with Toby, but they didn't stay on very well and he didn't like them. So I gave up on them.

On a side note, seeing as you mentioned your cat... I recently got bitten and clawed pretty good when I tried to pick up my neighbor's cat, that was pretty boneheaded of me. It was a good reminder that not all kitties like to be scratched, cuddled and picked up, and I can definitely see how a cat's fast reflexes would allow it to grab a birdie handily.

I was at a very strange little camp..12 houses ..and instead of a front yard..a dirt road that is in front of the houses..a wide clear space..w a windsock ..that's right an airstrip..
the water is blue..you can walk out on sand @150 ft..100 degree temps are normal..and the landscape demands your attention on every level. You are in a desert w zero water, sparse vegetation.sand and hot..my dogs drink seawater..because they are city dogs and were home schooled they don't know better. But if you are unprepared, even though you are close to the ocean,the hot desert can be deadly to animals and humans..the Coppertone spray on sunblock works for bicycles,motorcycles and yard work but it needs to re applied after you swim for a bit. Drinking water is it.
I have purchased many tarps and tents to get shade but if you know anything about the Sea of Cortez..high winds should be anticipated 27\7 ..365..and you will be challenged by the quality of materials and engineering..I have destroyed a couple of those $10 bucks golf umbrellas from Home Depot..big patio umbrellas are ruined multiple ways..a gust comes and if it's tied down to a full ice chest..something gives..if nothing does your ice chest gets pulled in the surf,down the beach or just straight up..
During some of my first motorcycle camping trips w crusty vets..you build an elaborate fire ring and respect the distance between your bike,nylon tent and sleeping bag..that's can blow fire out and around if your barrier is inadequate.
I have tags for my dogs w what I think is essential..name,I don't bite,phone number in U.S.and Mexico..sat phones work,cell phones don't. Because of satellite internet, Whatsapp and others work..but no matter where I am my dogs are tied up to some degree..again because of home school, I worry that my dogs will chase an animal..

I was at a very strange little camp..12 houses ..and instead of a front yard..a dirt road that is in front of the houses..a wide clear space..w a windsock ..that's right an airstrip..
the water is blue..you can walk out on sand @150 ft..100 degree temps are normal..and the landscape demands your attention on every level. You are in a desert w zero water, sparse vegetation.sand and hot..my dogs drink seawater..because they are city dogs and were home schooled they don't know better. But if you are unprepared, even though you are close to the ocean,the hot desert can be deadly to animals and humans..the Coppertone spray on sunblock works for bicycles,motorcycles and yard work but it needs to re applied after you swim for a bit. Drinking water is it.
I have purchased many tarps and tents to get shade but if you know anything about the Sea of Cortez..high winds should be anticipated 27\7 ..365..and you will be challenged by the quality of materials and engineering..I have destroyed a couple of those $10 bucks golf umbrellas from Home Depot..big patio umbrellas are ruined multiple ways..a gust comes and if it's tied down to a full ice chest..something gives..if nothing does your ice chest gets pulled in the surf,down the beach or just straight up..
During some of my first motorcycle camping trips w crusty vets..you build an elaborate fire ring and respect the distance between your bike,nylon tent and sleeping bag..that's can blow fire out and around if your barrier is inadequate.
I have tags for my dogs w what I think is essential..name,I don't bite,phone number in U.S.and Mexico..sat phones work,cell phones don't. Because of satellite internet, Whatsapp and others work..but no matter where I am my dogs are tied up to some degree..again because of home school, I worry that my dogs will chase an animal..
This is a reading journey I was not expecting to be taken on, but seeing as the place you've visited sounds very hot and very dry I can see why your back would end up looking like bacon. (I think.)

Your dogs drink saltwater? What's up with that?

Last edited:
It's been a while, how are everyone's pooches doing throughout what seems like a long, hot summer?

An update on Toby - he had his annual physical exam last week, everything is still normal for an ageing dog. He just needed his allergy and updated rabies and distemper shots. Also, with age he's getting more and more sensitive to the touch, I couldn't even bathe him or cut his hair properly because he would throw a fit and squeal at the first sound of clippers. So I asked the vet for a sedative, he gave me some trazodone and gabapentin, they worked like a charm. In addition to getting his hair cut today I also found a nasty overgrown nail on Toby's bum leg I was able to trim, no way would he have let me do that without the sedation.

So, all in all Toby is doing okay, it was funny seeing him stoned for the very first time. His future baths and haircuts should be much calmer for the both of us courtesy of sedatives.

And now a word from Toby:

My stupid owner got me all stoned and gave me a haircut, I didn't think I smelled that bad. I am glad somebody had finally discovered that overgrown nail that was starting to dig into my paw though (not even the vet saw it because I would barely let him touch me), if I could talk I would have told them about it ages ago.

Anyhoo, another haircut survived by yours truly, hope all you are well, paw-fives,

The Tobes

It's been a while, how are everyone's pooches doing throughout what seems like a long, hot summer?

An update on Toby - he had his annual physical exam last week, everything is still normal for an ageing dog. He just needed his allergy and updated rabies and distemper shots. Also, with age he's getting more and more sensitive to the touch, I couldn't even bathe him or cut his hair properly because he would throw a fit and squeal at the first sound of clippers. So I asked the vet for a sedative, he gave me some trazodone and gabapentin, they worked like a charm. In addition to getting his hair cut today I also found a nasty overgrown nail on Toby's bum leg I was able to trim, no way would he have let me do that without the sedation.

So, all in all Toby is doing okay, it was funny seeing him stoned for the very first time. His future baths and haircuts should be much calmer for the both of us courtesy of sedatives.

And now a word from Toby:

My stupid owner got me all stoned and gave me a haircut, I didn't think I smelled that bad. I am glad somebody had finally discovered that overgrown nail that was starting to dig into my paw though (not even the vet saw it because I would barely let him touch me), if I could talk I would have told them about it ages ago.

Anyhoo, another haircut survived by yours truly, hope all you are well, paw-fives,

The Tobes

The ones he will be on or th ones you will be on? :p

• Haha
Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Aww, I just found this thread and it is adorable.
Ever see videos featuring a soldier or a long-lost companion arrive at the airport and the awaiting dog goes nuts?
My friends own two dogs and we have formed a mutual admiration society. Whenever I meet them in the park the big guy pauses, recognizes and runs across the park and basically tackles me. It makes my day every single time, no matter what kind of mood I'm in.
I love dogs.

TRENDING THREADS