• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

the face/person behind the member

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Exactly at 16:15 CETwilight zone, the New Year has arrived here.

A season of tough exercise made me move through the ranks.
Enough to get costumed... decorations don't come that quick from where I've been sitting.

And there's that caramelicious brew on the shelves again.
Judging by your pictures in this thread you are, by way of miracle, getting younger and younger...

Is that a Young Pioneers uniform? We had something similar in the CSSR when I was a kid, think the only place you would find Young Pioneers nowadays is in North Korea.

Also, is the language in the article Serbo-Croatian? I understand only about every fifth word, so am not sure what is being celebrated.

Last edited:
Judging by your pictures in this thread you are, by way of miracle, getting younger and younger...

Is that a Young Pioneers uniform? We had something similar in the CSSR when I was a kid, think the only place you would find Young Pioneers nowadays is in North Korea.

Also, is the language in the article Serbo-Croatian? I understand only about every fifth word, so am not sure what is being celebrated.
Yes, it's the Ekavian pronunciation of the Serbo-Croat language, which now makes a part of the standard Serbian language. If anybody speaks or understands Serbian or Croatian language, practically she/he is able to communicate anywhere from Slovenia to Northern Macedonia... the things are a bit different in these to countries but they too are familiar with the main dialect of the western branch of South Slavic group.
And the article is about festive lights on the streets of Belgrade. They've been turned on on Friday, as is the case in recent years, and many citizens think it's too early, even more so considering the lights (lately) are being turned and taken off only in the March(!). It's become an issue 'cause of the electricity bills and the fact it looks ridiculous beyond the holiday season.

The cap and wrap are Young Pioneer uniform. Around this time of the year (shortly before Republic Day), the first-graders were being introduced into the organization.
I don't think anybody considered it a big deal.

Last edited:
Yes, it's the Ekavian pronunciation of the Serbo-Croat language, which now makes a part of the standard Serbian language. If anybody speaks or understands Serbian or Croatian language, practically she/he is able to communicate anywhere from Slovenia to Northern Macedonia... the things are a bit different in these to countries but they too are familiar with the main dialect of the western branch of South Slavic group.
And the article is about festive lights on the streets of Belgrade. They've been turned on on Friday, as is the case in recent years, and many citizens think it's too early, even more so considering the lights (lately) are being turned and taken off only in the March(!). It's become an issue 'cause of the electricity bills and the fact it looks ridiculous beyond the holiday season.

The cap and wrap are Young Pioneer uniform. Around this time of the year (shortly before Republic Day), the first-graders were being introduced into the organization.
I don't think anybody considered it a big deal.
Way back when... at the time I would have liked to have joined the Young Pioneers because I didn't understand the implications, it just seemed like the thing to do. But, that would have been over my dad's dead body, no way would he have agreed to me being indoctrinated into the communist way of thinking. Luckily we escaped before I was old enough to join, it means dad and I didn't have a chance to argue about it.

So wait, the powers-that-be of Belgrade had decided to put up holiday lights already and they're up through March? That is quite wasteful...

Here in the States some of the richer folk cover every square inch of their house and property with lights during the holiday season, they've got the money, so good for them I guess. But, I think it's still a monumental waste of energy on something that looks so tacky and garish.

Pleased to meet you, Dekker. The face, the helmet, and the shades look good. But, but, what about a piccy of your wheels? (I think this is what most of the posters around here will be the most critical about. :p)

Koronin - You and your hubby look cool! Is he still driving a semi around the country? Or, am I confusing you with another very rare, yet fellow female poster around these parts?

Thanks. My husband is more an electronics mechanic. He had been working civil service at a Marine base and is now working for the VA at one of the hospitals making sure some of the electronics are maintained. :) (Due to the job my husband now has we are in process of moving. He's already where we're moving, but I'll be here until late spring.)

TRENDING THREADS