• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Gianni Moscon Bandwagon Jumping Thread

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, there's quite a bit of overlap between the romantic languages :D Maybe Echoes is Sean Kelly? That's who I think of when I hear Tour of France and other such things.

People who are attacking Echoes as some sort of vociferous racist with vacuous beliefs need to calm down. Your attacks are becoming more and more ad hominen. Whilst I certainly do not agree with everything Echoes say, name calling and personal attacks are useless and merely result in more anger, division and hatred. Like I often say, 'argue with the argument, not the arguer.' If you feel a point is bad, explain why.

How about we continue to have proper, thoughtful discussion where we understand and recognize that people can have different views without being 'intolerable' or bad people?
Understand that everyone has a different perspective of life. Many of us here have such different upbringings and beliefs that it is not surprising there are a wide variety of views on this board. There is a reason it is called a forum. So let's discuss in a slightly less personal ad hominen style, and 'agree to disagree' when necessary.

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Moscon looked very strong yesterday. I would imagine he's sky's protected rider in Il Lombardia? I would doubt that they'd work for Landa given that he is leaving shortly, but Kwiatko could be a good option.

Re: Re:

yaco said:
Durden93 said:
Moscon looked very strong yesterday. I would imagine he's sky's protected rider in Il Lombardia? I would doubt that they'd work for Landa given that he is leaving shortly, but Kwiatko could be a good option.

I'd be surprised if Moscon or Kwiatkovski can get over the climbs in Lombardy.

I don´t know about Kwiato´s form, but Moscon will nicely surprise you

forza Gianni!

franic said:
Angliru said:
Squire said:
jfazendeiro said:
To who would you compare G. Moscon?
I do follow professional cycling for about 15 years and I don't remember of anyone with similar abilities nor potential.
The only to come close would be G. Hincapie but still he never showed to be as good as a sprinter in low-gradient uphill endings nor as a overall climber.
VDB?

Yup, Frank Vandenbroucke would be pretty close. At the age of 24 he won Paris-Nice, Ghent Wevelgem, LBL and 2 Vuelta stages, one in the mountains I vividly recall viewing (I still have that Vuelta on VHS!), all in the same year.
Of course this was the most productive year of his troubled career.
Vandenbroucke was a beast! I still remember his attack on La Redoute in LBL 1999 on Bartoli, marvellous! Moscon is nowhere close to him so far. Also, if I'm not wrong VDB has never been very competitive at the Paris-Roubaix.

PS: like Moscon, he used to grab cars but of course (and rightly) people didn't care at all about it.
https://youtu.be/O0Vk7ZIsAi0?t=25

I was speaking in terms of the varying range of events that they both had success. Grand tour mountains, Ardennes, cobbled hard men classics.

yaco said:
Durden93 said:

The guy was 13th up Angliru. I doubt Lombardia will be a problem unless his form is wavering.

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site

Angliru said:
yaco said:
Durden93 said:

The guy was 13th up Angliru. I doubt Lombardia will be a problem unless his form is wavering.

Agreed. Moscon's climbing should be fine. How is his sprint?

Durden93 said:
Angliru said:
yaco said:
Durden93 said:

Agreed. Moscon's climbing should be fine. How is his sprint?

From what I've read not so good but he's young yet and not been often enough in a position to really see.

Echoes said:
WIth regards to naming in English, I guess we are here on an English-speaking forum, aren't we? It's even been reminded by the mods a few months ago? So yeah most of the time I translate race names into English. As long as the race that is named "Flèche wallonne" in the local language, is called "Waalse Pijl" in Dutch or "Freccia Vallone" in Italian, as long as the race that is historically referred to as "Il Giro di Lombardia" in the local language is called "Le Tour de Lombardie" in my own, I will use the names "Walloon Arrow" and "Tour of Lombardy". Otherwise this is how you'll have to name the Tour of Morocco: طواف المغرب.

Personally I just use the name that's the most well-known internationally. So I'll say "Flèche Wallonne" and "Giro di Lombardia" because that's what those races are generally called internationally, but "Tour of Denmark" - even though it obviously isn't the local name in any way - because that's what that race is generally called internationally (and "PostNord Danmark Rundt" is a *** ugly name anyway).
Then there's a race like "Ronde van Vlaanderen/Tour of Flanders", where both names seem to be used at an about equal amount. I like to use "Ronde van Vlaanderen", because it's a cool name, but sometimes I just can't spell that to save my name - and is unable to look it up - so I default back to "Tour of Flanders", and sometimes I cheat and just write RvV.
As for the Tour of Morocco; I don't really talk about that race much, but as a general rule I tend to write names in Latin letters.

Angliru said:
yaco said:
Durden93 said:

lol that really gets to you

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
Echoes said:
WIth regards to naming in English, I guess we are here on an English-speaking forum, aren't we? It's even been reminded by the mods a few months ago? So yeah most of the time I translate race names into English. As long as the race that is named "Flèche wallonne" in the local language, is called "Waalse Pijl" in Dutch or "Freccia Vallone" in Italian, as long as the race that is historically referred to as "Il Giro di Lombardia" in the local language is called "Le Tour de Lombardie" in my own, I will use the names "Walloon Arrow" and "Tour of Lombardy". Otherwise this is how you'll have to name the Tour of Morocco: طواف المغرب.

Personally I just use the name that's the most well-known internationally. So I'll say "Flèche Wallonne" and "Giro di Lombardia" because that's what those races are generally called internationally, but "Tour of Denmark" - even though it obviously isn't the local name in any way - because that's what that race is generally called internationally (and "PostNord Danmark Rundt" is a **** ugly name anyway).
Then there's a race like "Ronde van Vlaanderen/Tour of Flanders", where both names seem to be used at an about equal amount. I like to use "Ronde van Vlaanderen", because it's a cool name, but sometimes I just can't spell that to save my name - and is unable to look it up - so I default back to "Tour of Flanders", and sometimes I cheat and just write RvV.
As for the Tour of Morocco; I don't really talk about that race much, but as a general rule I tend to write names in Latin letters.

I think as a general rule, you should use the name the event organizer/world tour uses as long as people know what you're talking about. Intentionally altering a name from something that people already recognize is just asking for attention. Ie, there's no need to use the terms "Tour of Spain" or "Tour of Italy" people already know what it is if you use the proper name.

Re:

Nirvana said:
I watched Radiocorsa of a couple of days ago on Raiplay and there is Beppe Conti that talked about Moscon in the "indiscreto" saying that Sky didn't like what he has done in Bergen and could let him go to Quick-Step that is interested.
Anyone knows if that's an actual rumor or a figment of his immagination?

with Beppe you never know ;) :D

Durden93 said:
I think as a general rule, you should use the name the event organizer/world tour uses as long as people know what you're talking about. Intentionally altering a name from something that people already recognize is just asking for attention. Ie, there's no need to use the terms "Tour of Spain" or "Tour of Italy" people already know what it is if you use the proper name.

In my language people say "Le Tour d'Italie" or "Le Tour d'Espagne" instead of Giro or Vuelta like it's dead normal! It's unbelievable that you, Anglos think it's seeking attention.

Funny to see that I'm a racist just for translating "Flèche wallonne" into English. That should mean I'm anti-Walloon, shouldn't it?

I am Walloon. :D

Re:

Nirvana said:
I watched Radiocorsa of a couple of days ago on Raiplay and there is Beppe Conti that talked about Moscon in the "indiscreto" saying that Sky didn't like what he has done in Bergen and could let him go to Quick-Step that is interested.
No way that's happening.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Nirvana said:
What did he do? The sticky bottle? If that's the case, it is extremely funny to see Sky carying about a sticky bottle and not about all the rest...

rick james said:
Angliru said:
yaco said:
Durden93 said:

lol that really gets to you

Your obsession is your own issue. I was simply stating a fact and using that fact to support that he should have no issue with the Lombardi climbs. Do you have a contrary opinion to add or just want to poke and prod?

franic said:
Nirvana said:
What did he do? The sticky bottle? If that's the case, it is extremely funny to see Sky carying about a sticky bottle and not about all the rest...
He said that for Sky riders that take a tow don't fit with the team ethics.

For the racism case i remember Sky said in a press release that if will happen again they'll fire him.

Angliru said:
yaco said:
Durden93 said:

Lombardia is a one-day race which is usually raced aggressively, which is different to a GT stage in which the first half is often raced at a sunday afternoon pace.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Nirvana said:
franic said:
Nirvana said:
He said that for Sky riders that take a tow don't fit with the team ethics.

For the racism case i remember Sky said in a press release that if will happen again they'll fire him.
Wow, this sounds worse than US Postal talking about ethics...Anyway, I guess these talks are not allowed here.

yaco said:
Angliru said:
yaco said:
Durden93 said:

Lombardia is a one-day race which is usually raced aggressively, which is different to a GT stage in which the first half is often raced at a sunday afternoon pace.

The stage was described in the cyclingnews stage report as "a fast day of racing".

8Naywdw.png

RgFSD3R.png

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/moscon-racially-abuses-reza-at-tour-de-romandie/

TRENDING THREADS