• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Gianni Moscon Bandwagon Jumping Thread

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Of course I've never defended racism either but I'm convinced that he's not a racist, more and more as time passes. Sometimes it reminds me Simenon's novel "La mort de Belle" in which a man was accused of a rape and murder while innocent but pressure of the goodthinking gentry, ends up committing a rape and murder.

But Moscon is NOT innocent of the racist slur ...His own team admitted he said it and admitted what it was. And 'punished' him

And he was clearly seen on a video for 19 seconds holding on to a speedign car up a hill (could have been longer before the video)

If people want to put Moscon forward as some innocent who is the victim of cicumstances well ?

And now the very guy who called him a racist has crashed according to his team due to Moscon's behaviour ?

Is it all just circumstantial ?

When it matters to you, Sky can be trusted?

I've finally seen the clip about what happened at the Worlds. It's really no big deal at all. Some know here that I defended Gianni Meersman at Paris-Nice a few years ago but I can acknowledge that with regards to Meersman it was a lot more spectacular and over the top but Gianni had also crashed. It was hardly uphill, just on top of the climb and very short. But then again when I see people complaining that he had impact at the end of the race, I keep thinking these Sagantards probably were holding their breath when Moscon almost helped Alaphilippe to the World title, which would have been a sacrilege or a lese-majesty crime. You cannot take a World Championship away from God Sagan. So because he almost managed that Moscon should've been DQ'd.

I feel more and more sympathy for Moscon every time I read posters here vociferously attacking him based on speculation and lack of information.

I do not excuse things he has done and said in the past, but to attack him at every opportunity, to call him a bad person when you have no idea who he is, to hope that a 23-year-old's career be ruined... That is truly disgraceful.

The hypocrisy and biased speculation by some posters here infuriates me.

Re:

Echoes said:

Yeah ..SKY go around admitting their riders use racist language just for the hell of it

Also why has Moscon been so quick to say he is sorry to hear about Reichenbach 'accident' ...which other rider wrote this ? Yeah demonstrates his involvement even if after the fact he is 'sorry' to hear about the accident'
Also he said he was sorry to 'hear' about the accident ? As if he hadnt seen it ...wasnt there at all....Good ploy to divorce himself from the whole thing in my opinion.

Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
Echoes said:

Yeah ..SKY go around admitting their riders use racist language just for the hell of it

Also why has Moscon been so quick to say he is sorry to hear about Reichenbach 'accident' ...which other rider wrote this ? Yeah demonstrates his involvement even if after the fact he is 'sorry' to hear about the accident'
Also he said he was sorry to 'hear' about the accident ? As if he hadnt seen it ...wasnt there at all....Good ploy to divorce himself from the whole thing in my opinion.

You give a new definition to paranoid.
From the way you talk about Moscon you would think that he is some sort of diplomat or lawyer who carefully hand-picks and manipulates his words more than Bill Clinton (and that is saying something!).

Ruby United said:
I feel more and more sympathy for Moscon every time I read posters here vociferously attacking him based on speculation and lack of information.

I do not excuse things he has done and said in the past, but to attack him at every opportunity, to call him a bad person when you have no idea who he is, to hope that a 23-year-old's career be ruined... That is truly disgraceful.

The irony of this coming from you :lol: I don't want to go further but some of your posts in the Cafe are disgusting.

@Echoes Yes, I love Sagan so much :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Both Moscon and Sagan are types of bad people.

Forever The Best said:
Ruby United said:

The irony of this coming from you :lol: I don't want to go further but some of your posts in the Cafe are disgusting.

Please go further. I am curious as to what you have to say.
I know my opinions are not popular, but I am interested as to what my 'disgusting' posts are.

Ruby United said:
HelloDolly said:
Echoes said:

You give a new definition to paranoid.
From the way you talk about Moscon you would think that he is some sort of diplomat or lawyer who carefully hand-picks and manipulates his words more than Bill Clinton (and that is saying something!).

Yep its just me being paranoid...carefully manipulating Moscon's words

all 23 of them - Moscon wrote
"I'm very sorry to hear that @reichenbach_seb was hurt after there was an accident in today's race. I wish him the best recovery."

I wrote about why he wrote this when no other rider did and why he used the word 'hear'

and as for

there is no speculation about his racist slur and cheating...these happened

As for Reichenbach crash ...FDJ have come out and said he caused it...speculation ?

You going to have sympathy for anyone try Reichenbach who needs surgery on his elbow

I clearly wrote that "I do not excuse things he has done and said in the past," but curiously, though you quoted the sentence before, you left out that quote.
Looks like Moscon is not the only one who carefully picks his words.

Ruby United said:
Forever The Best said:
Ruby United said:

Please go further. I am curious as to what you have to say.
I know my opinions are not popular, but I am interested as to what my 'disgusting' posts are.
The 'Sex, Gender and related issues' thread.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site

HelloDolly said:
I wrote about why he wrote this when no other rider did and why he used the word 'hear'
I feel like maybe your points are bleeding obvious but at the same time too subtle for some. It seems that Moscon moved quickly to distance himself from the incident with this tweet. Which basically translates as "I know nothing". It is only to be expected that Moscon who is his good buddy was the first to offer sympathy. LOL

Everything is speculation about this affair, including the supposed racist slur. Until you tell me the word that he had said.

The "cheating" is the only thing that is for sure but it's also for sure that it was a compensation for a crash. Something that should normally be tolerated.

I'm perfectly willing to believe that Moscon deliberately caused the crash, or at least did something Reichenbach felt was deliberate. However, I still have a hard time believing it was because of the Tour de Romandie incident.
Moscon - to some extend - accepted that his behaviour was wrong, and immediately apologised to Reza, yet carried a grudge towards Reichenbach for several months before getting revenge?

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
HelloDolly said:

As for Reichenbach crash ...FDJ have come out and said he caused it...speculation ?

You going to have sympathy for anyone try Reichenbach who needs surgery on his elbow
1. Nobody denies that the racist incident or sticky bottle happened.

2. You're implying that because FDJ posted on Twitter that it was caused by Moscon, that is inescapably true. If so, you're easily convinced.

If I tripped over my own shoelaces and somebody I loathe happened to pass by real close, it would be very tempting to blame him. Apparently you'd believe me...

Re:

Ruby United said:
I clearly wrote that "I do not excuse things he has done and said in the past," but curiously, though you quoted the sentence before, you left out that quote.
Looks like Moscon is not the only one who carefully picks his words.

FFS

here is what you wrote

Ruby United said:

Clearly stating your sympathy for Moscon ..because posters 'attack' him

And you 'do not excuse what he has done in the past' but 'to attack him at every opportunity'
You have set out your stall and words ...and it reads as if its just the 'attackers' that are at fault
You can use any semantics you want but that is the message of your post

So in what way do you not excuse his behaviour...because we can all write that we do not exuce something while in the next breath excusing it

Use whatever words you like your meaning is very clear ...and it is obvious where your sympathies lie

I would say mine lie with Reichenbach

Re:

wouterkaas said:
HelloDolly said:

2. You're implying that because FDJ posted on Twitter that it was caused by Moscon, that is inescapably true. If so, you're easily convinced.

If I tripped over my own shoelaces and somebody I loathe happened to pass by real close, it would be very tempting to blame him. Apparently you'd believe me...

yep...its all just circumstantial...only me and my paranoia and deliberate intent to 'attack' the poor blameless Moscon who happened to be passing by when Reichenbach 'tripped over his shoes laces' methaphorically speaking

BTW ..loads of posters on here are 'excusing' Moscon racist behaviour...even some saying he is no racist...maybe you'd like to address your replies to them

Racism is such a serious issue that I would think twice before accusing anyone of it. You cannot make such serious accusation without being 100% sure you are right.

I had similar accusation against myself in the pas and it was very painful. So yeah I cannot accept accusations of racism against anyone without concrete evidence. You don't realise how painful it is because you think you are on the "good" side.

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site

HelloDolly said:
wouterkaas said:
HelloDolly said:

yep...its all just circumstantial...only me and my paranoia and deliberate intent to 'attack' the poor blameless Moscon who happened to be passing by when Reichenbach 'tripped over his shoes laces' methaphorically speaking

BTW ..loads of posters on here are 'excusing' Moscon racist behaviour...even some saying he is no racist...maybe you'd like to address your replies to them
It's still speculation nonetheless, based on one source that has a stake in the supposed conflict. It's just as reliable as Fox News calling out a democrat (or vice versa with CNN)...some pinches of salt are required.

Enough has been said of the racist incident. Racial slur is unacceptable, he has been punished and we can merely hope he has learned from it.

Local newspaper La Nouvelliste has more details:

http://www.lenouvelliste.ch/articles/sports/cyclisme/sebastien-reichenbach-portera-plainte-contre-gianni-moscon-705884

Reichenbach filed a complaint tomorrow morning with the italian police and the uci. He says several other riders saw what Moscon did and are ready to talk about in favour of Reichenbach (confirming his story). He said he got thrown on to the floor on purpose and that it is a revenge for his tweet during the tour de romandie, although his tweet didn't include a name.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Echoes said:
Racism is such a serious issue that I would think twice before accusing anyone of it. You cannot make such serious accusation without being 100% sure you are right.

I had similar accusation against myself in the pas and it was very painful. So yeah I cannot accept accusations of racism against anyone without concrete evidence. You don't realise how painful it is because you think you are on the "good" side.
Thanks for your insight. You certainly make a compelling as to why Moscon may have a massive grudge against Reichenbach.

Echoes said:

what do you want ? a signed affidavit ?

https://roadcyclinguk.com/racing/team-skys-gianni-moscon-banned-racial-abuse.html

Moscon clearly accepted what he said was wrong and he was disciplined

And that should have been the end of it....Him learning for it and moving on

Except it looks like it hasnt been ...far from it

Yes calling some one a racist is strong but using inflamatory language to a fellow rider needs to be called what it is ...not dressed up or excused ,,,,To be on the receiving end of racist language is dreadful

Obviously it's all super complicated. Being at the receiving end of racist language probably sucks. Yelling something stupid and then being stigmatised for that probably sucks too. The more enraged everyone gets, the worse it gets

Meanwhile, the story is getting really juicy. We're really gonna need to have some actual evidence before it turns into a massive sh*tshow